Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Clay Co. teams and players ever?
The marriage part is a different level.
Boys didn't Eugene "The Love Machine" Rawlings also known as Boxhead date 5 cheerleaders back in '88?
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:There is so many good players in CC history that it is nearly impossible to have an all time top 5 or 10. Here's some notable players starting from 2013 as far back as I can go:

Chip McDaniel, Matthew Mitchell, Kendale Reed, Justin Hobbs, Will Jones, Rodney Mitchell, Brian Griffin, Jeremy Asher, Jason Hibbard, Steven Asher, Antwan Henson, Shane Brumley, Darrell Hoskins, Robert Marcum, Shannon Hoskins, Lloyd Collins, Rodger Simms, Russ Farmer, Richie Farmer, Russ Chadwell, Sean Pennington, Eddie Smith, Todd McDaniel Sr, Sammy Lee, Russell Corum, Glenn Bishop, Joe Lyttle, Marty Roberts. Add Chris McKissic to that group. After this it is all on hearsay.
Gary Gregory, Butch Grubb, Marcus McKissic, Pearl Hicks, Gilford Hubbard, Larry Sizemore, Skimp Campbell, Clayton Stivers, Skyler Garrison, Ray Mills, Herman Hibbard, and the legend himself, Pat House. This is a list right off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a lot more that I've left off or you could argue as great players to wear the black and gold.
Having played HS Basketball at Oneida Baptist and Graduated in 1965, I played aganist some of these players. Later in Life I Coached at Oneida and Coached aganist Some others. I have kept up with Clay Co. Basketball for 50 + years. They have had some Great Player and Great Teams. I still enjoy keeping up with them and seeing my Old Friend Bob from time to time.
Celking, I'd say you have played, coached against, and seen some dandies wear the black and gold.
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:Celking, I'd say you have played, coached against, and seen some dandies wear the black and gold.

I have: I always said you could shake those Gold and Black Jerseys at Teams in the 13th Region and they would start to shake. I felt like the Oneida Baptist Team With Caldwell, Grey, Franklin and Mill ,had worn Black and Gold they would have won the State Championship. They Beat Valley that year and Valley won it All. Love to Watch Clay Co. Play back in the Day.
Kevins dad got sick, and he ran the family farm. He was my the player I enjoyed watching the most after I graduated. David Stewart being the one before.
Who the best that did not play for clay county but could have if they did not quit school....
-_- Wrote:Who the best that did not play for clay county but could have if they did not quit school....

A Burns boy from up on Bullskin. He was about 6'4 or 6'5 could Jump, Run and Shoot with the best of them. He'd get 35 or 40 in B Game as a Fr. then turn around and score a lot in Varsiety Game. He Could have been special. His name waqs Mitchell Van Burns.
Boys what about Glenn Gray the all time leading JV scorer? He used to be a terror in the B team games. I think he was a 4 yr starter back in the day.
Here's two for you that may have played as freshmen, but for whatever reason didn't wind up playing on. George Roberts from Horse Creek (a great player) and Tony Mitchell from Goose Rock (a great scorer). Both these guys would have been tremendous high school players. This is from the very late 70's, I'm sure other people know plenty more. There were always guys running the halls there that were probably as good or better than a lot of the guys actually playing.