Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 preseason powerhouses
Highlands will be the #1 team in the state next year. Do you play Trinity? If so there will be no question.
HHellBird Wrote:Highlands will deffinately be among the best next year. I also think BG is among the best also. Flip a coin, I'd put either one of those two teams as #1 and the other at #2

i think Highlands has a week open, wish they could play.
birdman44 Wrote:I think the OLine is returning 4 or so "starters" all huge avg 250 or so (Highlands rotates OLinemen) senior TE is like 6'- 20" 240. ath basketball type.

I know McCoy was a B.A. but there was debate about putting him back at WR and putting Hueliston at QB. Hueliston is a pure passer that is crazy accurate and can move DBs around like fools.

Highlands will have arguably the best RB tandem in the state in seniors Zac Harris and Jaylen Hayes. Zac Harris has been pounding suckers since he started as a sophmore. Jaylen Hayes is crazy dangerous speedster that is going to break out this year.

I think all the WRs are going to be back and they are pretty good.

The D is going be crazy Seth Hope is going to be the best Defensive player in the state, Wroblowski will be an all state LB. and the DBs are all coming back but one.

Best Bird team on paper in a while

Nice summary, although size of an offensive lineman doesn't equate to the quality of play. Highlands best O lines over the years have been average (at best) in size. The all state O lineman from Highlands this past year just happened to be the smallest O lineman. But Highlands has one of, if not the, best O line coach in the state, so I expect the O line to be very good. I do think the O line this Fall favors Harris' running style. If they can move their feet well enough to pass block adequately and give Houliston time to throw, Birds will have an outstanding O once again. That's the only thing concerning me about Highlands O line: quickness and foot speed. But I've got a feeling that Coach Turner will spend a lot of time working on that.

Lost a very, very talented WR,Turner, who was Mr. Clutch and lead a very young receiving corps due to the injuries to Christian and Collinsworth. We have outstanding WRs returning (Greene, Weyer, Hergott, Allen, Feggins, Hoge, etc) but Turner will be leaving some big shoes to fill. The True kid needs to improve his quickness and feet. Big kid, but I haven't seen the athleticism yet that you mentioned. But he's young for his grade and hopefully he'll grow into that big body.

Hayes has a lot of talent, but he still has to prove to me that he has the other intangibles needed to be a really good running back and to complement Harris. Harris is, well, Harris. A tough, hard nosed runner that has pretty darn good speed and moves. Not someone a DB wants to have to tackle in the open field. Enough moves that a DB can't come flying up to tackle; but plenty of power to knock a DB on his butt if the DB comes up cautious.

Houliston is as you stated: an exceptionally accurate passer. Not any where near the running threat that McCoy was but a much better passer.

Hope should be an absolute stud on defense. If he adds another 20 pounds of muscle this off season like he did the last, he is simply going to dominate offensive linemen (which he did a pretty good job doing this past season once he finally got healthy). Agree with you on Wrobleski. Cochran, if he can keep his "enthusiasm" in check, will be another outstanding LB. He really impressed me this year. Expecting to see Ayers be an outstanding LBer also. Add Brady Murray, returning as an OLB, and the Birds should have a fantastic LBing corps.

Abner and Urlage both return in the secondary. Both are very athletic kids that can cover well and tackle with force.

Kicking game should really be strong also. I think both Brockett and Daugherty (who will be a sophomore and wouldn't surprise me if he started somewhere on defense) both return and have very good legs.

Bottom line: if the Birds do what they have to do this offseason; stay healthy; and play up to their potential, Birds very well could be the best team in the state. I know BG has a whole lot coming back though. Wish they were playing or were in the same class. That would be one heck of a state game.
I'm not saying Henry County will be a powerhouse but, they will bring it next season excellent talent on the roster. Could cause problems for Central as Henry County went into half only trailing by 7.
Russell County should have played LexCath this past year, but got out coached, was a little to conservative, got a new o cordinator this coming season, alot of skill coming back as well, so dont count the lakers out in region. Your right, blue chikens always gonna be the team to beat yearin year out.
Collins will back in the mix and probably squaring off with Highlands again. Not that almost everyone is returning but when you add in a player like Ryan Watkins of Eastern to the mix, they just got even better.
Any chance if either of these school could lose the QB? Some talk of Caldwell QB (Sindelar) headed to better market in Louisville.
Madison Southern is a sleeping giant... Look for a big year out of this group of kids...
CreekFan Wrote:Madison Southern is a sleeping giant... Look for a big year out of this group of kids...

If they can keep Harris, i agree. The kid can beat anyone on any given day.
KarnivalKat Wrote:If they can keep Harris, i agree. The kid can beat anyone on any given day.

Solid play at the running back position will be key for sure. But Madison Southern will throw the ball a lot this up coming season, and Harris will be a big part of that, but Devonte Linville should have a break out year at receiver. Also, look for a tough, physical defense that will supply a lot of three and outs. This team is much more well rounded than just one talented player... One talented player can be stopped... One talented team... Can not... Like I said... Sleeping Giant...
Fairview will have 5 new players for sure and looks like 2 more coming! They will be re-loaded mark my word on that! There is one kid quiting and maybe two more. So the eagles will have a little different look next year. The Red and Black field may even be ready by then, that's what they are talking about. Sounds like our local area may get a state Title!!! I know my nephew is really excited about it.
that's right Wrote:Fairview will have 5 new players for sure and looks like 2 more coming! They will be re-loaded mark my word on that! There is one kid quiting and maybe two more. So the eagles will have a little different look next year. The Red and Black field may even be ready by then, that's what they are talking about. Sounds like our local area may get a state Title!!! I know my nephew is really excited about it.

Are you saying one current, & possibley 2 more Fairview starter(s) has, & or might quit? If so what positions do they play?
Reloaded? What is this UK Basketball? If what you say is true, it is only a matter of time before they slip up and get in trouble. I am all for bringit kids into feeder systems, or even junior high, heck, id go as far as freshman or soph. But one and doners at te hs level is rediculous. And i would feel the EXACT same way if it were at Raceland. Seems that this could be a smoke screen of a comment that i am replying to. But we shall see.
AnswertheBell Wrote:Highlands will be the #1 team in the state next year. Do you play Trinity? If so there will be no question.

I think the Purples of Bowling Green will be ranked ahead of Highlands. It will be another year when everybody will be wishing these two teams played each other. BG has won 30 games and two state titles in a row and return almost everyone this year.
rc58 Wrote:Russell County should have played LexCath this past year, but got out coached, was a little to conservative, got a new o cordinator this coming season, alot of skill coming back as well, so dont count the lakers out in region. Your right, blue chikens always gonna be the team to beat yearin year out.

There NOT even in the mix or conversation. Good looking ball club the past 2 season and nothing to show for.
KarnivalKat Wrote:If they can keep Harris, i agree. The kid can beat anyone on any given day.

What do you mean if they keep Harris? I know several people there and asked them, said all the rumors are 100% false.
pleasure ridge park will be very impressive if they can get a quarterback, because they are returning 16 starters from last season, and has 24 juniors returning. they also are getting tons of transfers, some from minnesota and west virginia, and also some from kentucky as well. there defense will be bigger than last years and more experienced. i believe they have a chance to go to state again this year
You missed one....NewCath. Yea, they lost a lot to graduation but they reload every year. It looks like they"ll have a solid defense and some good skill players although qb might be an issue.
why isnt anyone thinking about prp. there only losing five starters from next year and there junior class is loaded with talent. getting alot of transfers as well
adopted purple Wrote:No, it's a cupcake schedule. Smile I was just messing around. We have a tough schedule, as usual. I think we are playing two teams from Tennessee. Blackmon from Murfreesboro and McCallie from Chattanooga.

Yeah but who are these teams? is tenn footbal even good? Just cause a team is from tennessee doest really mean anything.
Its funny Highlands plays Cincinnati GCL teams like Elder and everyone says that they play a slack schedule. Any Cincy GCL team or cin. colrain would win state in the biggest class in tennessee every year. Ohio football is second only to Cal and Fla (if that). Yes, Texas football is way overrated! Cincinnati Colrain on a mediocre year beat the crap out of the biggest best team in Texas a few years ago.
^I'd have to say Florida, Georgia and South Carolina are where the best high school teams are right now, along with Ohio. California high school ball, while still great, is not where it was 10 years ago.
JagSwag Wrote:I agree with you HDE on HC being the District 8 and Region 4 favorite.

However, I see the the District 7 having four different teams battling for it. Pulaski, Madison Southern, Southwestern and North Laurel.

I know everyone counts NL out of it each year before the season. But, NORTH IS ON THE RISE. Loosing only two key players, Velasco and Hacker, from this years team. The Jags are going to be a better team. Returning stars, Nelson, McFadden, Blair, and both lines.

Pulaski loses Goins and four other key position players. I do not think they can go undefeated next year again in district play.

Madison Southern is losing a half-dozen key position players and I do not think they will be as good as this years team.

Southwestern was a very young team this year and should be much improved for next season.

Lincoln County was also young and should be better.

South Laurel- I have nothing to say good so I will not say anything!!!!!!!!!
Harlan should win district 8. District 7 will be a tough call, but North does have the most experienced team they have had. It will depend on who wants it the most!
I highly doubt that is true. He is very happy here at Caldwell County. His dad has a great job and he has been seeing the same girl about 2 years.
IMO Russell will have their normal year. They will beat teams that they should beat and lose against teams that should beat them. (Scientific I know..lol) This years team does have heart so it will be exciting to see what transpires. The Junior class will be tough and the Sophmore class will be coming off a season where they went undefeated outscoring their opponents 253-62 their freshman year. Still not alot of flash or speed this coming season but it will be a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" season. Lol
adopted purple Wrote:I think the Purples of Bowling Green will be ranked ahead of Highlands. It will be another year when everybody will be wishing these two teams played each other. BG has won 30 games and two state titles in a row and return almost everyone this year.
Be careful what you wish for. This is probably one of the best teams Highland's has had in years. They're second team could be ranked @nd in the state.
charlie22 Wrote:Nice summary, although size of an offensive lineman doesn't equate to the quality of play. Highlands best O lines over the years have been average (at best) in size. The all state O lineman from Highlands this past year just happened to be the smallest O lineman. But Highlands has one of, if not the, best O line coach in the state, so I expect the O line to be very good. I do think the O line this Fall favors Harris' running style. If they can move their feet well enough to pass block adequately and give Houliston time to throw, Birds will have an outstanding O once again. That's the only thing concerning me about Highlands O line: quickness and foot speed. But I've got a feeling that Coach Turner will spend a lot of time working on that.

Lost a very, very talented WR,Turner, who was Mr. Clutch and lead a very young receiving corps due to the injuries to Christian and Collinsworth. We have outstanding WRs returning (Greene, Weyer, Hergott, Allen, Feggins, Hoge, etc) but Turner will be leaving some big shoes to fill. The True kid needs to improve his quickness and feet. Big kid, but I haven't seen the athleticism yet that you mentioned. But he's young for his grade and hopefully he'll grow into that big body.

Hayes has a lot of talent, but he still has to prove to me that he has the other intangibles needed to be a really good running back and to complement Harris. Harris is, well, Harris. A tough, hard nosed runner that has pretty darn good speed and moves. Not someone a DB wants to have to tackle in the open field. Enough moves that a DB can't come flying up to tackle; but plenty of power to knock a DB on his butt if the DB comes up cautious.

Houliston is as you stated: an exceptionally accurate passer. Not any where near the running threat that McCoy was but a much better passer.

Hope should be an absolute stud on defense. If he adds another 20 pounds of muscle this off season like he did the last, he is simply going to dominate offensive linemen (which he did a pretty good job doing this past season once he finally got healthy). Agree with you on Wrobleski. Cochran, if he can keep his "enthusiasm" in check, will be another outstanding LB. He really impressed me this year. Expecting to see Ayers be an outstanding LBer also. Add Brady Murray, returning as an OLB, and the Birds should have a fantastic LBing corps.

Abner and Urlage both return in the secondary. Both are very athletic kids that can cover well and tackle with force.

Kicking game should really be strong also. I think both Brockett and Daugherty (who will be a sophomore and wouldn't surprise me if he started somewhere on defense) both return and have very good legs.

Bottom line: if the Birds do what they have to do this offseason; stay healthy; and play up to their potential, Birds very well could be the best team in the state. I know BG has a whole lot coming back though. Wish they were playing or were in the same class. That would be one heck of a state game.

What do you know about Mr. Greene? Have been watching this kid on the track and he has excellent speed and has very nice build. There will not be many DB's able to keep up with him on the fly patterns; what kind of hands does he have?
CreekFan Wrote:Solid play at the running back position will be key for sure. But Madison Southern will throw the ball a lot this up coming season, and Harris will be a big part of that, but Devonte Linville should have a break out year at receiver. Also, look for a tough, physical defense that will supply a lot of three and outs. This team is much more well rounded than just one talented player... One talented player can be stopped... One talented team... Can not... Like I said... Sleeping Giant...

I cant wait for that first game of the year between Madison Southern and Whitley.
It will really give us a clue as to how district 7 and 8 stack up.
CreekFan Wrote:Solid play at the running back position will be key for sure. But Madison Southern will throw the ball a lot this up coming season, and Harris will be a big part of that, but Devonte Linville should have a break out year at receiver. Also, look for a tough, physical defense that will supply a lot of three and outs. This team is much more well rounded than just one talented player... One talented player can be stopped... One talented team... Can not... Like I said... Sleeping Giant...

More passes= less touches for Harris. Not smart math in my book. How can they be sleeping when they have one of the top recruits in the nation. Everyone knows who they are. It won't be a surprise if they do nice things.
Owen county and Walton Verona will be good again.
The usual suspects: Belfry, Bell, Williamsburg, Hazard!