Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region Draw
Overrated Wrote:who went to rupp last? jw

hahah that has killed me.
kentuckynole Wrote:Knott 8
PCC 5

This is probably something for a different thread, but since it came up in the discussion in this one....
I wonder what the total would be if one could add on the totals from ALL the schools that PCC and KCC consolidated from. That would be interesting.

For instance:

Perry Central-5
MC Napier-?
Dilce Combs-?
Total region titles:

Knott Central-8
Carr Creek-?
Hindman-?
Knott Co. High-?
Total region titles:
Letcher
Perry
Hazard
Estill

Perry
Estill

Perry (IN A CLOSE ONE)
Lee
Perry
Kcc
Estill

Perry
Kcc

Perry
zaga_fan Wrote:I'm sorry to burst your bubble...
but Hatcher is the 5th winningest coach among acting coaches in the State.
He didn't do that in just 3 years....
He has MULTIPLE sweet 16 bids in Region 1 and has a Final Four finish under his belt.
I would venture to say that Hatch has more Regional titles than Big Al does...
but I'm not 100% sure.
In his first trip to the regional finals in the 14th...
he shouldn't have been there.
In his second....
loss in OT.
In his 3rd...
Tate Cox goes wild and Knott takes the lead but shoothing free throws on a foul 90 ft from the basket(not saying it was a bad call, just a tough break).

Bottom line....
Hatcher is a proven winner and this just looks to be his year.
He's played for more regional titles than many of us have watched or listened to.

AL Holland has more regional titles then Hatcher... Holland has 9 , and I believe Hatcher has 5
It's Perry Central's to win for sure, but I can tell just from this thread that everyone is overlooking Hazard, and all I can say is BETTER NOT!!!

1st round
Perry 61 - Wolfe 39
Letcher 55 - Lee 48

Estill 54 - Breathitt 51
Hazard 59 - Knott 52

Semi-finals
Perry 56 - Letcher 45

Hazard 57 - Estill 49

Finals
Hazard 51 - Perry 45
Let's not forget about all the rumors that Zach Davis (Knott) is going to play in the Region. But with his dad being a doctor I don't see him playing.
ekff Wrote:AL Holland has more regional titles then Hatcher... Holland has 9 , and I believe Hatcher has 5

No knock against Coach Holland because we all know he is a great one, but he is in one of the weakest regions in the state, and a great coach like himself should have many region titles. I think they both are great coaches, but they don't take any shots and don't make any free throws or turnovers. All they can do is both prepare their kids for everything that can happen, but the end result is "THE KIDS HAVE TO PERFORM" GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN THE REGION. :Cheerlead
ekff Wrote:It's Perry Central's to win for sure, but I can tell just from this thread that everyone is overlooking Hazard, and all I can say is BETTER NOT!!!

1st round
Perry 61 - Wolfe 39
Letcher 55 - Lee 48

Estill 54 - Breathitt 51
Hazard 59 - Knott 52

Semi-finals
Perry 56 - Letcher 45

Hazard 57 - Estill 49

Finals
Hazard 51 - Perry 45
I know Hazard is good but their home loss to Powell County late in the season is a puzzler. I realize the Bulldogs didn't have one of their players, but Powell couldn't even get past the first round of the 56th district, losing by 14 to Lee. Powell also beat Knott.
I think sometimes we may go too much on name and tradition when predicting wins and losses in the post season tournaments.
ekff Wrote:Let's not forget about all the rumors that Zach Davis (Knott) is going to play in the Region. But with his dad being a doctor I don't see him playing.

I don't believe his dad is a doctor. PA or NP maybe.
ekff Wrote:AL Holland has more regional titles then Hatcher... Holland has 9 , and I believe Hatcher has 5

Now you have done it ekff, somewhere in the vast archives of the Mountain Examiner, Zaga Fan is trying to figure out how Hatcher's 5 is worth more than Holland's 9.
As always, the 2nd seed gets it rough..
Last year we seen it with Knott Co. as they had to run the gauntlet to win region..
Same story here with Hazard.. They are the underdogs, and I believe they have a real shot at it.
IMO, Perry felt a very real chill go up there spine at home.. Hazard will be ready to play come tourney time.

My pick to win region will be Hazard.
I agree
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Why not? Pretty much a toss up game, but I'm going with Lee based on how they've played lately. If the 6'5 Pittman kid is on his game and their guards are hot from 3 land like they were in the 56th district championship game, then Lee is a very dangerous team. The one time they played this year it was on a neutral court in a 13th region holiday tournament and Letcher beat Lee 62-60.

It was the Hoopin It Up Holiday Classic and either team had a chance to win it but as you said Letcher Central won 62-60 in Overtime! So with that said and with the way Lee County is playing right now, this has the making to be one heck of a game!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:This is probably something for a different thread, but since it came up in the discussion in this one....
I wonder what the total would be if one could add on the totals from ALL the schools that PCC and KCC consolidated from. That would be interesting.

For instance:

Perry Central-5
MC Napier-?
Dilce Combs-?
Total region titles:

Knott Central-8
Carr Creek-?
Hindman-?
Knott Co. High-?
Total region titles:

That would be interesting.
The fact still remains though, since Napier and Dilce consolidated, Perry has 5 and Knott as one Big Grin. That's not a coincidence.
KentuckyFan35 Wrote:Now you have done it ekff, somewhere in the vast archives of the Mountain Examiner, Zaga Fan is trying to figure out how Hatcher's 5 is worth more than Holland's 9.

Hatcher has 6 and Holland has 9.
The 1st region is a better region overall but Hatcher's 6 is 3 less the Holland's 9. It's pretty simple math.
I said I wasn't for sure so I never confirmed it.

** officially retiring from this thread **

Best of luck to Knott and Hazard
Worst of luck to their fans Wink
I think Breathittt could be a threat in their bracket. They've played Estill three this year in all close games and one win going to breathitt. Should be a good one. Big mathup between Fraley and Dotey.
Good luck to all
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:This is probably something for a different thread, but since it came up in the discussion in this one....

For instance:

Perry Central-5
MC Napier-?
Dilce Combs-?
Total region titles:

Knott Central-8
Carr Creek-?
Hindman-?
Knott Co. High-?
Total region titles:

PCC-5
MC Napier-6
Dilce Combs-1
Vicco-2
Total Region Titles- 14

Knott Central-8
Carr Creek-5 1 title
Hindman-6 1 title
Total Region titles-19 2 state championships
zaga_fan Wrote:Hatcher has 6 and Holland has 9.
The 1st region is a better region overall but Hatcher's 6 is 3 less the Holland's 9. It's pretty simple math.

:redboxer:
Benchwarmer Wrote:PCC-5
MC Napier-6
Dilce Combs-1
Vicco-2
Total Region Titles- 14

Knott Central-8
Carr Creek-5 1 title
Hindman-6 1 title

Awesome research, Benchwarmer!
Aslan Wrote:Awesome research, Benchwarmer!

The Cats' Pause
Aslan Wrote:That would be interesting.
The fact still remains though, since Napier and Dilce consolidated, Perry has 5 and Knott as one Big Grin. That's not a coincidence.
Right. Since PCC was formed the score is 5-1.

I think one thing that has hurt Knott Central, and Breathitt County as well, is that in their glory years of winning many regional tournaments their enrollments were over 1000. Both schools enrollments are now in the neighborhood of 650-675.
Breathitt's big heyday period was in the late 1950's through the early part of the 1960's, plus a few more years throwed in here and there. In the 1960's their enrollment was close to 1200. They've lost half of that enrollment due to population loss. Same thing in Knott. They're both now under the enrollment totals of Estill and Powell. Don't let anyone doubt that enrollment is a very important factor in building a strong program. Numbers mean a lot. that's why it's puzzling why Powell and Estill haven't ben more successful (but in Estill's defense they have been stuck in the tough 10th region with the likes of Mason, Clark, and Montgomery Counties)
Now with that said, some smaller systems do find ways to be competitive, but I won't go into the details of how they manage to do that, not today anyway.:biggrin: But I will say that IMO it takes a lot more than the "You got to work harder than the other schools" line that is usually mentioned.
maybe a Hazard fan can help me out. Estill plays at 8:15 thur night will they clear the gym between games like they do in the 10th reg. If not how will the seating bedone for the 2nd game? How many seats are there in the gym? Just dont know how to plan for the game.
PATS2011 Wrote:KCC proved they were the best team last year, they deserved that more than any team in the 14th. The only loss they had in region play last year was to PCC, at PCC, not surprisingly. Shelby Valley only had one mtn loss, and that was to who? PCC. Where at? PCC.

Now, PCC's legendary home court 'advantage' was not why they lost at PCC this year. That was just a poorly played game and horribly executed offensive plan. You know that as well as I do, possibly KCC's worst played game all year.

Bottom line, Hatcher has been to the finals every year he has been coach and has choked every time. Don't get your hopes up that this year will be any different. IDC who beats you, but you are, by no means, guaranteed a regional title.

They might of won region but they were certainly not the best team. Perry and even Hazard would have had a lot better showing at the state tournament then Knott had.

There's also a reason why that was Knott's "worst played game all year". They can't handle Perry's D, not many teams can. If they played 10 times Perry would win all 10 times. Knott can't stop either of the Cornett's or the 7th grader.

As for your comment about Hatcher, I'm not even gonna go there. Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows he's a GREAT coach. He got screwed out of one regional title and bad shot selection and fouls on his players cost him another last year. This is his year. If they meet Knott in region, I'll go ahead and call it. Perry by 15 plus.
guardtheball Wrote:maybe a Hazard fan can help me out. Estill plays at 8:15 thur night will they clear the gym between games like they do in the 10th reg. If not how will the seating bedone for the 2nd game? How many seats are there in the gym? Just dont know how to plan for the game.

From what I've heard the gym will only be cleared on the night of the semi-final games.
EKYHoops Wrote:No knock against Coach Holland because we all know he is a great one, but he is in one of the weakest regions in the state, and a great coach like himself should have many region titles. I think they both are great coaches, but they don't take any shots and don't make any free throws or turnovers. All they can do is both prepare their kids for everything that can happen, but the end result is "THE KIDS HAVE TO PERFORM" GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN THE REGION. :Cheerlead

Big Al has had many great players come his way. He's recruited most of them. He's the high school version of coach Cal, can recruit but not that great of a coach. This year it's showing and his team won't win it this year.

Benchwarmer Wrote:PCC-5
MC Napier-6
Dilce Combs-1
Vicco-2
Total Region Titles- 14

Knott Central-8
Carr Creek-5 1 title
Hindman-6 1 title

:worthy:

zaga_fan Wrote:Hatcher has 6 and Holland has 9.

Don't matter how many Holland has, Hatcher's the better coach of the two. I like the last sentence there as well :Thumbs:
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:From what I've heard the gym will only be cleared on the night of the semi-final games.

thank you. there will be alot of fans there for both games just hope it works out so the fans can have there own cheering sections for bug games like this.
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:From what I've heard the gym will only be cleared on the night of the semi-final games.

thank you. there will be alot of fans there for both games just hope it works out so the fans can have there own cheering sections for big games like this.
guardtheball Wrote:maybe a Hazard fan can help me out. Estill plays at 8:15 thur night will they clear the gym between games like they do in the 10th reg. If not how will the seating bedone for the 2nd game? How many seats are there in the gym? Just dont know how to plan for the game.
I'm not a Hazard fan but I can tell you close to what Memorial Gym's seating capacity is. Once when our school was in the regional tournament and we were allowed a couple hours practice there (each school back then was scheduled a practice if they wanted one), I tagged along to watch them practice and took the time to count the rows, then calculated the distance for one adult person seated , then added the numbers. It comes out to around 2200. You can get about an extra 200 with standing room. That's 2400 total. The Hazard folk will tell you it seats 3500, but it won't come close to that amount.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next