t - Kibby
ng - Pickett
lb - Davidson
lb - Spradlin
c - Thompson
c- Hayse
s - Huffine
s - Mussetter
What are the dates and times for Russell's scrimmages?
August 13 - Spring Valley
August 16 - Cabell Midland
FBALL Wrote:Here is my guess on the lineups.

Offense:
qb - Hayse
rb - Thompson
rb - Dehoff
fb - Spradlin
e - Davidson
e - Baily
t - Pierce
t - Kibby
g - Minehan
g - Kennedy
c - Herring

Defense:
e - Baily
e - Dehoff
t - Pierce
t - Kibby
ng - Jenkins
lb - Davidson
lb - Spradlin
c - Thompson
c- Hayse
s - Huffine
s - Mussetter

Looks like a good one to me. I'm sure there will be some changes as there always are.
Jeepman Wrote:Looks like a good one to me. I'm sure there will be some changes as there always are.

Yep. There are some juniors that will add some depth on both sides of the ball. Stevens and Cathey are two that you could put in in multiple spots.

Huffine should get some carries out of the backfield.

Minnehan is a good enough athlete you could put him in anywhere on defense. Same thing with Kennedy.
FBALL Wrote:August 13 - Spring Valley
August 16 - Cabell Midland

Thanks.

Do you know the locations and times?
Fly By Night Wrote:Thanks.

Do you know the locations and times?

I think they are both at Russell. Probably start around 6 unless it is pushed backed because of heat.
I think 3A will be a very interesting Division this year :Thumbs:
FBALL Wrote:Yep. There are some juniors that will add some depth on both sides of the ball. Stevens and Cathey are two that you could put in in multiple spots.

Minnehan is a good enough athlete you could put him in anywhere on defense. Same thing with Kennedy.
I assume you mean Gage Stevens. I know that family well. How has his injury healed? From what I gathered from his mother, the staff was really high on him last year.
OU812 Wrote:I assume you mean Gage Stevens. I know that family well. How has his injury healed? From what I gathered from his mother, the staff was really high on him last year.

Yes I was talking about Gage. I think the injury has healed just fine and he has been cleared to play. And yes he showed alot of promise the last couple of years.
I feel Russell will do very well this year. I think they just might surprise a few. I'm going to gamble and say Russell will go 9-1 in the regular season. Yes 9-1
How do all the Russell fans feel about their chances againts the Tomcats this year?
They have a shot at beating Ashland this year. Better do it now because I'm afraid the next couple of years will belong to the kitty cats.
9-1 huh? I was thinking 8-2 for the Red Devils with losses against Ironton and Ashland.
LClion4life Wrote:9-1 huh? I was thinking 8-2 for the Red Devils with losses against Ironton and Ashland.

I think they beat Ashland this year.
Strikeout King Wrote:Aug 26, 11 Greenup County home 7:30 PM
Sep 2, 11 Ironton, OH away 7:30 PM
Sep 9, 11 Ashland Blazer home 7:30 PM
Sep 16, 11 Boyd County away 7:30 PM
Sep 23, 11 West Carter away 7:30 PM
Sep 30, 11 Fleming County home 7:30 PM
Oct 7, 11 Mason County away 7:30 PM
Oct 14, 11 Lewis County home 7:30 PM
Oct 21, 11 East Carter home 7:30 PM
Oct 28, 11 Raceland away 7:30 PM

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh.../?id=35187

Sounds like the DEVILS will have a better team this year. With this schedule looks like you could go from having a ok season to a very good regular season. Six of the ten teams on this schedule almost always have losing records. So imo the devils if healthy should win those games. {Greenup Co., E and W Carter, Lewis Co, Fleming Co and Boyd Co.} After the GC game imo the devils will find out how good a team they will have. If they can stay in those two games and maybe split the two. That would help enormously with the rest of the season. Mason Co is always a tough team. I believe they have a new coach. But I could be wrong about that. Either way that shouldn't matter I guess. It's a midseason game. And both teams will have lots of dvd's and scoutting reports on each other. The last game of the season is the one game I hope the devils lose!! The RAMS will imo have strong line play on both sides of the ball. The question mark will be the backfield on both sides of the ball. IF the top three backs stay healthy. We'll be alright. IMO we won't win eight games but we could win seven regular season games with some luck. Tough tough schedule for the RAMS!!
Love the Russell stadium. The csx train horn kills me! lol.. Great coaches. The coaching staff is very respectful! Great system. Hope you win nine of the ten games.:devilflam:redboxer:
David Buchanan is still the head coach at Mason County. He has pretty much built that program.
FBALL Wrote:David Buchanan is still the head coach at Mason County. He has pretty much built that program.

He is a very good coach. I've seen them play a few games. Sorry for the miss info! Glad he's still there..
Russell should have a decent year with the amount of returning starters on both sides of the ball. The team seems to have a great bunch of ball players but the one aspect that concerns me early in the season is conditioning. Russell never seems to encourage their players to lift in the off season and participate in other sports such as track that would keep them in shape. Also, from what I hear from many of the players they don't spend much time in preseason or during the season conditioning. This could play a major factor in the first few games of the season.

Best wishes to all the teams this year!
FBALL Wrote:They have a shot at beating Ashland this year. Better do it now because I'm afraid the next couple of years will belong to the kitty cats.
FBALL, Why do you think that Russell can beat Ashland this year? Just curious to know what has changed since last year's 61 to 7 loss to the Kitty Cats. I know the Red Devils return a lot of people, but they graduated their QB(Cooper). The Tomcats return most of their players on Defense and they only lost Trey Rogers in the backfield. Unless injuries occur during the first three games for Ashland, I don't see the Devils beating Ashland this year. Just my opinion.
tomcat4ever Wrote:FBALL, Why do you think that Russell can beat Ashland this year? Just curious to know what has changed since last year's 61 to 7 loss to the Kitty Cats. I know the Red Devils return a lot of people, but they graduated their QB(Cooper). The Tomcats return most of their players on Defense and they only lost Trey Rogers in the backfield. Unless injuries occur during the first three games for Ashland, I don't see the Devils beating Ashland this year. Just my opinion.

I didn't say they would beat the kitty cats. Just that they have a chance. It's hard to judge a team by one game, even one as ugly as that one was. After all Russell played Ironton much tougher than Ashland sid last year.

Ashland will be a solid favorite in the game this year and should be. Russell IMO will be a much better team this year defensively I believe. More athletic up front and in the secondary. That is why I give them a chance.
Yes I agree with you. After the Ironton game last year, and the way Russell competed against them, I thought the Ashland-Russell game would be close.As you well know,the next week at Ironton Ashland got smoked by the Tigers. Like you said this is a new year and the past is what it is. I know Russell has always had a competitive team and I would not expect any think less this year. After all the game is at Ivan McGlone Field. Good Luck to the Red Devils in 2011 except when the Tomcats or as you say The Kitty Cats come to town.
Dylan Howard and Michael Pennington are back this year I heard. That's two more really good athletes.
I think the game against Ashland was somewhat of a freak last year. Don't get me wrong Ashland was the much better team. They beat Russell in every aspect of the game and then some. Russell players will not forget being taken out behind the woodshed. I think it will be a very close game with a great atmosphere. I still thik Russell could go 9-1 but what do I know.
I believe that last year's Ashland game the RED DEVILS just gave in after the quick onslaught in the first half, I know that Ashland has just about all their skilled players back and then some but they did lose some of their big linemen. With that said I believe that Russell could very well go 8-2 but there are some question marks to be answered this year and 1 of them is conditioning THAT IS FOR SURE.
Russell has an ego problem in my opion. It takes more than one player to win a game. This has been going on for the past few seasons. Conditioning is something that takes commitment if a player is willing to put the work in it will pay off. I can only hope a leader steps up! Good Luck Devils.
Devil09 Wrote:Russell has an ego problem in my opion. It takes more than one player to win a game. This has been going on for the past few seasons. Conditioning is something that takes commitment if a player is willing to put the work in it will pay off. I can only hope a leader steps up! Good Luck Devils.

:Thumbs:
Devil09 Wrote:Russell has an ego problem in my opion. It takes more than one player to win a game. This has been going on for the past few seasons. Conditioning is something that takes commitment if a player is willing to put the work in it will pay off. I can only hope a leader steps up! Good Luck Devils.

Just wondering about the ego problem you talk about. From what I have seen these kids want to win and do it as a team. Now if you are talking about the cancer from two years ago that has gone away. That situation was not good for anyone. That is over and Russell has moved on. I think ego is not what they have. I see them as having swagger. From what I have seen and I don't see it all is that these kids want to win.

Conditioning: Ivan McGloan has been playing his players into shape for 35+ years and been very good at it. Yes we see our Devils pucking on the sidelines. Cramps all over the place. After about 3 games we are good. Ever wonder why Russell starts practive one week after everyone else???
FBALL Wrote:Yep. There are some juniors that will add some depth on both sides of the ball. Stevens and Cathey are two that you could put in in multiple spots.

Stevens lost well over a second on his forty and has had some issues with the injury. It hasnt been tested and he seems a little timid about testing it (understandably). Plenty of talent to spread around though. Hearing Dehoff wants nothing to do with the QB position. As long as he plays like he did in the second half of last year then all will be well as far as Dehoff goes.
In the mix with Bell co.? Ummm, don't see it! Belfry maybe with the history between the two always seem to be good games, breathitt co. Not sure about them either? But I'll give u a solid run through your district.