Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 28 Somerset 23
RoShamBo Wrote:Congrats to Belfry, they definitely earned this win on the field last night. Class all around. CAM was amazing, something I am glad I got to experience.

Jumpers, I hate it for you guys but that's why you play the game. I hate it most for these seniors, especially the ones that were actually going hard til the end for their team last night (tell your boy I said great game and effort last night JD). Younger guys, get in the weight room, keep your heads right in the off season and come back strong next week. The schedule is supposed to be brutal next season so you guys know your going to have to put in the work.

All that being said, difference in the game was discipline. There is no excuse for that many personal foul penalties, I don't care what is happening on the field you have to rise above it. JMO but Somerset had the better squad but Belfry just showed more heart and determination when it was all said and done. And I am not trying to take anything away from Belfry by saying that, it is just a testament to their will power last night.

Good luck next week Pirates I'll be rooting for title #3!
Thanks for the stadium compliment..We take pride in our facilities; however, I am not so sure about the better team comment. I know that is your opinion, but that battle looked fairly equal! Came down to which team had the most heart and determination! I am not trying to take anything away from Somerset, but they weren't the team that I expected to walk into CAM and play. After reading the many threads on here. They were an awesome team; however, this game was won at the LOS. Belfry's Defensive and Offensive Lines dominated most of the game. No offense, but how can you make that statement?
BoondockSaint Wrote:Not trying to argue, your opinion is your own, but I don't think Somerset was the better team. Team speed was about even, they play polar opposite styles of football offensively with Somerset being more of a finesse team & Belfry being a running team (just not your typical 2 TE Belly/Veer scheme).

Defense was the difference. Both teams played a pretty disciplined D, but the Pirates were much, much more physical from the 1st quarter to the last. I really feel that if both played a turnover free game the score would have been more lopsided in Belfry's favor.

But thats just my opinion.

Agree to disagree, I feel if Storm would have played in the 1st half we may have had a better chance to cash on some of those early opportunities and it could have blown open in our favor. Except for four plays the defense didn't play bad. The play calling was questionable at best, why we were exclusively pass with our best receiver out of the game in the 1st half is beyond me. I'm not trying to make excuses for Somerset they didn't deserve to win the game last night and I'm not trying to say that Somerset gave the game away. I'm just saying that if these two teams played on a neutral field 10 times that Somerset would take more.

Again I'm not trying to knock on Belfry or the effort they put forth at all they are definitely the best team we played this year and I would love to see them bring home another state title, but that is just my opinion.
Why didnt the Storm kid play the first half/
way to go pirates!
good job.
Sound like a good one, Congrats Pirates.
RoShamBo Wrote:Agree to disagree, I feel if Storm would have played in the 1st half we may have had a better chance to cash on some of those early opportunities and it could have blown open in our favor. Except for four plays the defense didn't play bad. The play calling was questionable at best, why we were exclusively pass with our best receiver out of the game in the 1st half is beyond me. I'm not trying to make excuses for Somerset they didn't deserve to win the game last night and I'm not trying to say that Somerset gave the game away. I'm just saying that if these two teams played on a neutral field 10 times that Somerset would take more.

Again I'm not trying to knock on Belfry or the effort they put forth at all they are definitely the best team we played this year and I would love to see them bring home another state title, but that is just my opinion.

Fair enough. So unless I'm reading with red-tinted glasses, you're saying the Somerset you saw all year wasn't the one you saw last night? I can see what you are saying and wouldn't even attempt to argue that because that was the first time I've seen Somerset this year.

Its fair to say you've seen them play better, be more balanced, have better play-calling, etc. I've said it plenty of times about Belfry teams in years past.

I just think that if we throw every woulda-should-coulda, if-buts-nuts aside, and focus on only what happened this past Friday night the better team won.

When you lose the turnover battle, particularly as a time-of-possession type offense, albeit in the state semi-finals. How do you still win if you aren't the better team?????

To quote the NFL Sunday morning crew "Come on man!".
We had em' last week and gave it away.Somerset was good but when they had to come to the hills they found out they didn't like getting hit.They didn't play anyone really till they played us last week.Soft schedules don't pay off except in the wins column.Congrats Belfry.Bring the trophy to the hills.BTW...did #21 punch or spit on anyone like he did us?He was a real punk.
BobcatStuckInPowell Wrote:.did #21 punch or spit on anyone like he did us?He was a real punk.

He got ejected, lol...
Congrats Belfry on this win..Way to make it to state. After we handed it to you all at the Rock I thought it would turn out a little in out favor, but we just couldn't pull it togethor and you guys did. I'll be rooting for you all from Martin Co. on Saturday. At least it wasn't that other Pike County team...hehehe
Great win Big Red and to all the coaching staff of the pirates.It takes alot of time and effort to put a game plan togeather and make it work as well as you guys make it work.We have the best coaching staff in the state i would bet that for sure.Now lets get that trophy and bring it back one more time!TongueirateSho:Thumbs:
A Pretty good article, a little biased toward Somerset, but still a good article
http://somerset-kentucky.com/localsports...ack-Friday
RisingPower84 Wrote:A Pretty good article, a little biased toward Somerset, but still a good article
http://somerset-kentucky.com/localsports...ack-Friday

Good article.

It is funny to see the difference in focus compared from a Belfry fan's POV and a Somerset's fan. Both are equally accurate, but Somerset sees this as a game they let slip away with turnovers and giving up the big play. Belfry fans see this as a game they controlled the LOS and the pace of the game, and if not for turnovers of their own it could have been a wider margin. Just goes to show the role turnovers, playcalling, and missed assignments make this late in the year.
So proud of these young men! No one saw this coming except for maybe the players themselves. I honestly didnt see them getting past Mason County in week 2 of the playoffs. This band of Pirates have shown their heart and determination, to prove the naysayers wrong.

Get ready Pond Creek Nation, the ship to State sets sail and the destination is Bowling Green!!! Go Pirates!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BoondockSaint Wrote:Fair enough. So unless I'm reading with red-tinted glasses, you're saying the Somerset you saw all year wasn't the one you saw last night? I can see what you are saying and wouldn't even attempt to argue that because that was the first time I've seen Somerset this year.

Its fair to say you've seen them play better, be more balanced, have better play-calling, etc. I've said it plenty of times about Belfry teams in years past.

I just think that if we throw every woulda-should-coulda, if-buts-nuts aside, and focus on only what happened this past Friday night the better team won.

When you lose the turnover battle, particularly as a time-of-possession type offense, albeit in the state semi-finals. How do you still win if you aren't the better team?????

To quote the NFL Sunday morning crew "Come on man!".

This is basically the point I was trying to put across. I have seen Somerset play better than they have the past two weekends but all of that doesn't matter. It all comes down to whether you can put it all together for one night. Friday night, Belfry was the best team and they deserved to win. Again I don't feel that Somerset gave the game to Belfry, Belfry took it. However, I'm also sure that many Somerset fans would agree that this team is better than they have showed the past two weeks, Coach Lucas seems to agree. Done, next season. :zzz:

Good luck next week.
as it is said over and over again Belfry IS BELFRY....Congrats to Coach Haywood and the Pirates rep. the mountains well in Bowling Green as I know you will not disappoint. Bring a third back to Pike County. From one Pike Central fan thanks for the memories that you give year in and year out. For the one time each year I have to say GOOOOO PIRATES!!!
RoShamBo Wrote:This is basically the point I was trying to put across. I have seen Somerset play better than they have the past two weekends but all of that doesn't matter. It all comes down to whether you can put it all together for one night. Friday night, Belfry was the best team and they deserved to win. Again I don't feel that Somerset gave the game to Belfry, Belfry took it. However, I'm also sure that many Somerset fans would agree that this team is better than they have showed the past two weeks, Coach Lucas seems to agree. Done, next season. :zzz:

Good luck next week.

Hope to see you guys around the same time of year next season.
BoondockSaint Wrote:Hope to see you guys around the same time of year next season.

next years team and so on for the nxt 5 or 6 yrs will be loaded with talent,so we look forward to crossing paths...TongueirateShoTongueirateSho
Belfry0304 Wrote:He got ejected, lol...

Figures.....should have been ejected at Breathitt.:lmao:
padd4pirate Wrote:next years team and so on for the nxt 5 or 6 yrs will be loaded with talent,so we look forward to crossing paths...TongueirateShoTongueirateSho

We will probly meet you next 2 years.We are a Soph. dominated team.Good luck against Central.
BobcatStuckInPowell Wrote:We will probly meet you next 2 years.We are a Soph. dominated team.Good luck against Central.

Really? Besides a very talented group of juniors, Belfry is loaded with talent in the sophomore and freshman classes.... The upcoming freshmen aren't too shabby either! Smile Look forward to seein ya's next year!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
I didn't even know the **** championship games were at WKU this year. What the heck is up with that? I had planned on going earlier.
BoondockSaint Wrote:Hope to see you guys around the same time of year next season.

We'll be going to 2A next season, maybe with the next realignment.
vundy33 Wrote:I didn't even know the **** championship games were at WKU this year. What the heck is up with that? I had planned on going earlier.

they was there last year as well.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:as it is said over and over again Belfry IS BELFRY....Congrats to Coach Haywood and the Pirates rep. the mountains well in Bowling Green as I know you will not disappoint. Bring a third back to Pike County. From one Pike Central fan thanks for the memories that you give year in and year out. For the one time each year I have to say GOOOOO PIRATES!!!

Thank you very much for this classy post! I feel exactly the same way and would support any mountain team going to represent our area. I feel (although I know I'm gonna get bashed to death for this) that all local schools (county or what not) should stand up, put differences aside, and take pride in knowing that a team from their home area will be at state, working their hardest to bring home the hardware!!! Thank you again and we do appreciate the well wishes!

phs1986 Wrote:Thank you very much for this classy post! I feel exactly the same way and would support any mountain team going to represent our area. I feel (although I know I'm gonna get bashed to death for this) that all local schools (county or what not) should stand up, put differences aside, and take pride in knowing that a team from their home area will be at state, working their hardest to bring home the hardware!!! Thank you again and we do appreciate the well wishes!
:Thumbs:
Has anyone read the article in the opinion section of the WDN, apparently it was in yesterdays paper and the "Voice of Somerset" wrote in and had nice compliments about his experience at CAM and the game overall. Someone was telling me about it but I haven't read it. I checked online and couldn't find it.
Couldn't find it either.... I will go purchase a newspaper and see what I can find in it!

Belfry_99 Wrote:Has anyone read the article in the opinion section of the WDN, apparently it was in yesterdays paper and the "Voice of Somerset" wrote in and had nice compliments about his experience at CAM and the game overall. Someone was telling me about it but I haven't read it. I checked online and couldn't find it.

As a high school football fan, especially in Kentucky, teams like Belfry are a breath of fresh air. Huge support from the fans and community, excellent facilities, and a true passion for the game from the players. Friday night was my first experience at CAM as well and it definitely lived up to its expectations. I am a Somerset fan and always have been and wouldn't change that no matter what, but after experiencing CAM I have no problem saying that I wish Somerset got the same support on all levels that Belfry does.
RoShamBo Wrote:As a high school football fan, especially in Kentucky, teams like Belfry are a breath of fresh air. Huge support from the fans and community, excellent facilities, and a true passion for the game from the players. Friday night was my first experience at CAM as well and it definitely lived up to its expectations. I am a Somerset fan and always have been and wouldn't change that no matter what, but after experiencing CAM I have no problem saying that I wish Somerset got the same support on all levels that Belfry does.

It's nice to hear that. In Belfry it is a truly a community feeling. I graduated from there, and I don't know how to explain it but once you graduate from there and are a part of the community, you always feel a special tie to Belfry in general, especially Belfry Football. One thing that I think is lost sometimes is that fact that Belfry has always had tremendous support as long as I remember. Even before the state title years, a Belfry football game was the "event" on Friday nights and no one missed it. I think this team and all teams from the past are a point of pride for this community and something that we can support as a community and be proud of, Once a Pirate, always a Pirate!
I see someone has this posted on facebook.. here is the article..