Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Ironton, OH
92.31%
Russell
7.69%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ironton, OH @ Russell 9/3
old warrior Wrote:Russell will be 1-3 after the Ashland game, sorry but you are to young to play with the big boys this season, you should of seen this last season, getting beat by GC will leave a bad taste in their mouths for quite some time now, and I am glad too.

What are you talking about?

We did see this comming. Russell is a very young and inexperienced team and anybody with any sense about them knew that comming in. 1-3 wouldn't shock anybody. Greenup is good this year. Ashland and Ironton are VERY good this year. I'm pretty happy with the way Russell has played so far and think they will get better as the season goes along. There is no shame or bad taste left in losing to good teams as long as the effort is there. Seems to me the only one with the bad taste left is some of the Greenup folks who are stuck with it from losing for so many years. Sorry it's so bitter.
Russell will have no way to stop the Ironton running game, Ironton 35-0
:igiveup:
Scottiedog Wrote:Russell will have no way to stop the Ironton running game, Ironton 35-0
:igiveup:

U are selling the tiggers short coach lutz will use this game to send a message to the tomcats after last year the tigers might score 50 plus just to try and reestablish the intimidation factor they used to have over ky teams
Ironton is way to tough for russell considering that russell couldnt handle greenup....ironton rolls on this one 55-7
I'll take Ironton in a blowout.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:U are selling the tiggers short coach lutz will use this game to send a message to the tomcats after last year the tigers might score 50 plus just to try and reestablish the intimidation factor they used to have over ky teams

That's not Lutz style. He won't run it up to send a message to the kittens. Ironton will win handily but Lutz will use any time he can to evaluate younger players if the game gets lopsided.

Ironton doesn't have to intimidate anybody. Most years they are just good enough to beat everyone. The kitties will get their chance at Tank Memorial later in the year. I highly doubt Lutz and company have even thought about it yet.
As much as I enjoy watching Ironton lose, I enjoy watching Russell lose more. No disrespect, as Im sure most of you feel the same about my Cats.

But, I think Russell's biggest challenge this week will be making it to Saturday morning with a full roster. Ironton is a hard nosed, physical football club, and will be as long as Lutz is the head man, and this year, as last, the Devils are no match.
FBALL Wrote:That's not Lutz style. He won't run it up to send a message to the kittens. Ironton will win handily but Lutz will use any time he can to evaluate younger players if the game gets lopsided.

Ironton doesn't have to intimidate anybody. Most years they are just good enough to beat everyone. The kitties will get their chance at Tank Memorial later in the year. I highly doubt Lutz and company have even thought about it yet.

He would an he will, if able to run up the score unless you don't consider 50-0 running up the score? He is very much about proving points, Ashland has been on the receiving end of a few of lutz's Points the last 40 yrs. Bad has I hate to admit it.. I'm pretty sure they have some kind of bearing on the playoffs, teams they play records an points scored for tie breaker? :ChairHit:
That's because everybody hates the kittens BadCat. Lutz included.
not that many people like the red devils either........
FBALL Wrote:That's because everybody hates the kittens BadCat. Lutz included.

Ahh cmon fball! You know you love us!!! I think you're really a closet Tomcat fan:Clap:
There's that jealously rearing it's ugly head Again!! Lmao :lmao:
FBALL Wrote:That's not Lutz style. He won't run it up to send a message to the kittens. Ironton will win handily but Lutz will use any time he can to evaluate younger players if the game gets lopsided.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but ironton will not call off the dogs because in Ohio points scored is high on the list of playoff tie breakers correct ? And if u went and saw the comments on the Ohio message board last year that loss stung the tiger faithful I'd say they've kept it in mind for a whole year anyways would love to see Russell pull it off but it seems like this could be worse than last year
Love how Ashland fans have made this about Ashland. Ironton will beat Russell. Ironton will also beat Ashland. Ashland can't stop the run. They couldn't stop Greenup, they won't stop Ironton either.

I would love to see Russell pull the upset. Just highly unlikely.
OU812 Wrote:Love how Ashland fans have made this about Ashland. Ironton will beat Russell. Ironton will also beat Ashland. Ashland can't stop the run. They couldn't stop Greenup, they won't stop Ironton either.

It's not making it about Ashland don't u think the Russell coaches are telling there players Ashland did it why not us? The ironton intimidation factor is gone for the whole area cause of that win last year. So I think ironton is out to prove a point which could be bad news for all area teams even my tomcats
OU812 Wrote:Love how Ashland fans have made this about Ashland. Ironton will beat Russell. Ironton will also beat Ashland. Ashland can't stop the run. They couldn't stop Greenup, they won't stop Ironton either.

It wasn't me who made the comparison it was a Russell fan but I want point any fingers. :biggrin:
................…..
Originally Posted by FBALL
Ashland knocked off Ironton last year so anything is possible.

Soooo... Get yer story straight before u jump there big boy! :dontthink
Can anybody give a guy from WKY some info on Ironton??? What Division are they in Ohio? What "O" and "D" do they use? Are they usually good? Know about SW Ohio football but not much about that area of OH....Thanks.
I like Russell but this is not the year they will knock off the Tigers. But they will get better as the season goes along. The Tigers by two TD's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Tigers roll on BIG by 3+. As a Belfry fan, I know this well!
devilschild Wrote:Can anybody give a guy from WKY some info on Ironton??? What Division are they in Ohio? What "O" and "D" do they use? Are they usually good? Know about SW Ohio football but not much about that area of OH....Thanks.

As for offense, they run the "T" formation, this is coming from what they ran when I watched them play Belfry.

Here is all the football info you want on them. :rockon: http://www.irontonfootball.com/
As an Ironton resident and former Ironton player, I can assure you the Coach Lutz does not take any game for granted. Both Ashland and Russell are respected programs in Ironton and both have a history of great athletes and great football. What I can tell you about this years Ironton team as opposed to last years is that they have great senior leadership. I have followed Ashland and Russell so far this year and both appear to be good teams. Russell has shown a problem with turnovers and scoring in the redzone but I think they will have that ironed out by this weekend. Ashland appears to be loaded again just like last year. They have a great QB and a great set of receivers. As for Ironton, the O-line and D-line are huge and there are 4 good backs, Wilkes and Warner are really good. Ironton/Russell and Ironton/Ashland should be great games.
Thanks for the link! Ironton's gotta monster over there!!!
Here is the.....Russell link

http://www.reddevilsports.com/footballmainsite2007.htm
You Kitty Cats take yourselves way more seriously than others do. I remember Greenup beating Ironton back in the OKAC days. It happens from time to time. Ashlands upset of Ironton last year is not that earth shaking. I don't think anybody is "afraid" of Ironton. The do respect them and the quality of team that they put on the field almost every year. The loss to Ashland last year has done nothing to diminish Irontons reputation.
Years Winner Score
1985 Ironton (A) 28 0
1986 Ironton (H) 26 14
1987 Ironton (A) 49 0
1988 Ironton (H) 43 6
1989 Ironton (A) 35 7
1990 Ironton (H) 7 6
1991 Ironton (A) 49 13
1992 Ironton (H) 42 0

Actually, Greenup has never beaten Ironton.
FBALL Wrote:You Kitty Cats take yourselves way more seriously than others do. I remember Greenup beating Ironton back in the OKAC days. It happens from time to time. Ashlands upset of Ironton last year is not that earth shaking. I don't think anybody is "afraid" of Ironton. The do respect them and the quality of team that they put on the field almost every year. The loss to Ashland last year has done nothing to diminish Irontons reputation.

I know of only 2 teams that didn't appear to play ironton scared in atleast ten years from Ashland and that was the 05 team and last year so a lot of times the game was lost before it was played
FBALL Wrote:You Kitty Cats take yourselves way more seriously than others do. I remember Greenup beating Ironton back in the OKAC days. It happens from time to time. Ashlands upset of Ironton last year is not that earth shaking. I don't think anybody is "afraid" of Ironton. The do respect them and the quality of team that they put on the field almost every year. The loss to Ashland last year has done nothing to diminish Irontons reputation.

Never said that it did diminish them?? And yeah it was pretty earth shattering if you are a Ashland fan! Finially got that monkey off our back, because in the past we've had games won against them only to find ways to lose late late late in the game! That was huge for Ashland to show the younger ones who haven't seen us beat them that they are can be beaten from someone on this side of the river. The mental part of the game is as big a part of it as anything.

Btw, when was the last time those lil evils beat'em??

Besides Portsmouth, Ashland is there oldest rivalry. they've been playing each other longer than anybody, an it is a big game every year. And is always completely full stadium.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I know of only 2 teams that didn't appear to play ironton scared in atleast ten years from Ashland and that was the 05 team and last year so a lot of times the game was lost before it was played

Well guess I'll completely disagree with you on that one! Never seen them scared of anyone. I have seen them physically outgunned an just plan ole overwhelmed with the talent level they were playing against. But thats just not the case every year! there have been some really good games.

But scared c'mon man!:dontthink
BADCAT74 Wrote:Well guess I'll completely disagree with you on that one! Never seen them scared of anyone. I have seen them physically outgunned an just plan ole overwhelmed with the talent level they were playing against. But thats just not the case every year! there have been some really good games.

But scared c'mon man!:dontthink

Just said the last ten years cause myself and my sister were student trainers until I grad in 06 and heard from players were gonna lose we just wanna keep everyone healthy was the routine mindset and a mindset I believe a lot of teams in ky still carry
Frogtownbuckeye Wrote:Years Winner Score
1985 Ironton (A) 28 0
1986 Ironton (H) 26 14
1987 Ironton (A) 49 0
1988 Ironton (H) 43 6
1989 Ironton (A) 35 7
1990 Ironton (H) 7 6
1991 Ironton (A) 49 13
1992 Ironton (H) 42 0

Actually, Greenup has never beaten Ironton.

Dude I have no idea where you got some of those scores but some of them are way off? I know for a fact we beat you guys in 1990! An I'm pretty sure they beat you in 88!

An I thought GC did beat ironton but it was like 1977??? Somewhere in there.
Ironton****3567 *Opponents* 1168
1980 Bob Lutz 9-1-1
* Ironton Opp
Russell KY (H) 33 13
Ashland KY (H) 30 15
Portsmouth (A) 13 9
Jackson (A) 7 7
Waverly (H) 43 6
Athens (A) 41 14
Meigs (H) 29 7
Logan (A) 28 0
Wellston (H) 35 13
Gallipolis (A) 34 20
Totals Regular Season 293 104
PLAYOFFS * *
New Concord John Glen (H) Regional Final - Tank Stadium 7 20
Totals 300 124
1981 Bob Lutz 10-0-0
* Ironton Opp
Ashland KY (A) 35 14
Russell KY (A) 21 14
Portsmouth (H) 28 8
Gallipolis (H) 42 12
Jackson (H) 62 14
Waverly (A) 49 15
Athens (H) 49 20
Meigs (A) 40 0
Logan (H) 40 6
Wellston (A) 54 19
Totals 420 122
1982 Bob Lutz 12-1-0
* Ironton Opp
Wheelersburg (H) 29 14
Cincinnati McNicholas 49 24
Portsmouth (A) 40 0
Ashland (H) 29 13
Gallipolis (A) 15 13
Jackson (A) 28 0
Waverly (H) 50 13
Athens (A) 61 19
Meigs (H) 35 0
Logan (A) 42 30
Totals Regular Season 378 126
PLAYOFFS * *
McConnelsville-Morgan (H) Regional Final - Tank Stadium 35 8
Urbana (N) State Semi-Final Groveport Madison Stadium 28 20
Akron St. Vincent St. Mary (N) State Final - Ohio Stadium - Columbus 14 21
Totals 455 175
1983 Bob Lutz 8-0-1
* Ironton Opp
Wheelersburg (A) 28 14
Cincinnati McNicholas (A) 14 14
Portsmouth (H) 32 0
Logan (H) 14 7
Ashland KY (A) 26 19
Gallipolis (H) 41 12
Jackson (H) 28 7
Waverly (A) 49 6
Athens (H) 40 6
Totals 272 85
1984 Bob Lutz 7-3-0
* Ironton Opp
Circleville (H) 35 7
Russell KY (A) 27 13
Portsmouth (A) 10 19
Logan (A) 42 0
Ashland KY (H) 29 22
Gallipolis (A) 2 19
Jackson (A) 35 0
Waverly (H) 48 8
Athens (A) 35 0
Cincinnati C.A.P.E. (H) 21 34
Totals 284 122
1985 Bob Lutz 10-3-0
* Ironton Opp
Circleville (A) 41 0
Russell KY (H) 18 0
Portsmouth (H) 49 0
Boyd County KY (A) 13 15
Ashland KY (A) 21 6
Athens (H) 32 12
Jackson (H) 53 0
Greenup County KY (A) 28 0
Cincinnati C.A.P.E. (A) 0 12
Gallipolis (H) 14 12
Totals Regular Season 269 57
PLAYOFFS * *
Gallipolis (H) Regional Semi-Final - Tank Stadium 20 9
Thornville Sheridan (N) Regional Final - Spartan Stadium - Portsmouth 33 20
Columbus DeSales (N) State Semi-Final - Spartan Stadium - Portsmouth 19 24
Total 341 110
1986 Bob Lutz 10-1-0
* Ironton Opp
Coshocton (A) 15 6
Russell KY (A) 34 6
Portsmouth (A) 27 0
Boyd County KY (H) 20 6
Ashland KY (H) 42 0
Huntington High WV (H) 48 14
Lancaster (A) 41 14
Greenup County KY (H) 26 14
Cincinnati C.A.P.E. (H) 21 14
Dayton Jefferson (A) 14 13
Totals Regular Season 288 87
PLAYOFFS * *
St. Clairsville (H) Regional Semi-Final - Tank Stadium 14 29
Totals 302 116
1987 Bob Lutz 10-2-0
* Ironton Opp
Russell KY (H) 33 0
Ashland KY (A) 19 20
Boyd County KY (A) 12 8
Jackson (H) 35 0
Huntington High WV (A) 35 0
Portsmouth (H) 24 7
Greenup County KY (A)* 49 0
Cincinnati C.A.P.E. 28 6
Dayton Jefferson (H) 34 8
Coal Grove (H) 38 16
Totals Regular Season 307 65
PLAYOFFS * *
Coshocton (N) Regional Semi-Final - Peden Stadium - Athens 20 0
Sheridan (N) Regional Final - Spartan Stadium - Portsmouth 14 27
Totals 341 92
1988 Bob Lutz 13-1-0
* Ironton Opp
Russell KY (A) 34 9
Ashland KY (H) 23 8
Boyd County (H) 27 0
Jackson (A) 57 14
Huntington High WV (H) 32 19
Portsmouth (A) 18 6
Greenup County KY (H) 43 6
Cincinnati C.A.P.E. (H) 6 0
Miami Trace (A) 33 0
Toledo Libbey (H) 51 0
Totals Regular Season 324 62
PLAYOFFS * *
Portsmouth West (H) Regional Semi-Final Tank Stadium - Ironton 30 8
Newark Licking Valley (N) Regional Final - Spartan Stadium - Portsmouth 38 10
Urbana (N) State Semi-Final - Ohio Stadium - Columbus 28 7
Akron St. Vincent St. Mary (N) State Final - Ohio Stadium - Columbus 12 14
Totals 432 101
1989 Bob Lutz 14-0-0
* Ironton 0pp
Portsmouth West (A) 20 7
Russell KY (H) 21 13
Ashland KY (A) 20 15
Boyd County KY (A) 32 0
Logan (A) 44 6
Huntington High WV (A) 37 23
Portsmouth (H) 36 6
Greenup County KY (A) 35 7
Huntington East (H) 45 0
Miami Trace (H) 50 18
Totals Regular Season 340 95
PLAYOFFS * *
Orrville (N) Regional Semi-Final - Peden Stadium - Athens* 28 0
St. Clairsville (N) Regional Final - Peden Stadium - Athens 27 6
Hamilton Badin (N) 1989 - State Semi-Final - Dublin (buuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! COLD!) 14 13
Campbell Memorial (N) State Final - Ohio Stadium - Columbus