Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mr Basketball: Mid Season Discussion
What about jarrod polson from west jessamine. Still getting no respect around the state. No player in the state is as underrated--or more valuable to his team. What do you think?
hooperman Wrote:What about jarrod polson from west jessamine. Still getting no respect around the state. No player in the state is as underrated--or more valuable to his team. What do you think?

Polson is a good quality player, but I think you answered your own question with the underrated part, he will not get enough votes outside of his area to garner recognition for Mr. Basketball.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Some of you guys are ridiculous. Why do you think that just because someone states the truth or says someone is better than Justice, all of a sudden they're bashing him? Get over it...EJ is a VERY GOOD player but not the best in the state. There are other worthy candidates around the state too, ya know.

Anthony Hickey just came in to the mountains and proved this. You don't have to get defensive about any post that doesn't praise Justice and I'm not the only one says this, so the personal attacks are getting kind of old. We're talking about a high school kid here. I have no reason to bash him or his team. If some of you fans would be more humble about their success, you wouldn't have people like myself trying to bring you back down to earth with constructive criticism.

As far as the THREAD TOPIC, I think Josh Sewell has solidified himself as the best senior in the state right now. His individual and team success speaks for itself.

Ricardo Johnson has scored over 1000 points in his career but simply has too much talent around him with Rice, Pittman, and J. Johnson for him to average a high amount of points or rebounds.

Elisha Justice is putting up very good numbers but let's remember that Jonathon Ferguson put up better numbers than EJ last year and still didn't win the award. Playing against a weaker schedule hurts his chances. Talent wise he is good as they come, but his lack of opportunities to showcase this will be his downfall and why he doesn't win the award.

Elijah Pittman is probably the most talented player in the state but he plays with another first team all state player that many coaches feel are more polished so that will be his downfall.

I think Josh Sewell wins the award. Hard to argue against him with the success he's had this year.

Listen, I will not say that he is the best player in the state, but I will beat that there is no one that is more valuable to his team than Justice is and his numbers aren't to bad either. With that being said I wouldn't talk to much about others being ridiculous. Like I said before you post more on SV threads than most of their own fans do. Sounds like you may even like them a little yourself (IT WON"T HURT TO ADMIT IT)because that's all you talk about. What ever the case is with you I just wish you would lay down because most are tired of hearing your****!!!!!! HAVE A NICE DAY:blabbermo:blabbermo
Don't get me wrong....I hope he wins. I was just stating my opinion and I personally don't think he's top ten in the state, but I'd love to see a east ky boy win Mr. BB. Go Justice!
hooperman Wrote:What about jarrod polson from west jessamine. Still getting no respect around the state. No player in the state is as underrated--or more valuable to his team. What do you think?
Polson is a good player, but not a chance at being Mr. KY Basketball. I don't even see him in the running.
PC_You_Know Wrote:He's got like 4 or more D-1 offers, and he's going to play for a D-1 school and one of the best coaches in college. Good grief, someone's always trying to knock a kid.

you show me where he has actual scholarship offers from more then 3 d-1 schools and i will give you $500. he is WALKING ON at UL. which means that they dont think he is good enough for a scholarship. so. that ends that debate. 2nd of all, if you can set and tell me that justice would put up those kind numbers against teams like Holmes,Scott Co,ect. then i will once again pay you. its not knocking him, its being honest. cause i dont care what anyone says. mountain teams just dont have the talent that most north teams have. and if you think so then tell me why these great mountain teams aint got a sweet 16 title? when was the last time a mountain team made the title game? i mean really you just gotta be honest with this. get real. give Holmes SV's schedule and give SV the Holmes schedule and see what would happen.
The front-runner without a doubt is Josh Sewell.

I would vote Elisha Justice 2nd and Elijah Pittman 3rd.

Ricardo Johnson may have the most upside of anyone else in the class of 2010, but his stats aren't great although he plays for a pretty talented team.
cincycat23 Wrote:you show me where he has actual scholarship offers from more then 3 d-1 schools and i will give you $500. he is WALKING ON at UL. which means that they dont think he is good enough for a scholarship. so. that ends that debate. 2nd of all, if you can set and tell me that justice would put up those kind numbers against teams like Holmes,Scott Co,ect. then i will once again pay you. its not knocking him, its being honest. cause i dont care what anyone says. mountain teams just dont have the talent that most north teams have. and if you think so then tell me why these great mountain teams aint got a sweet 16 title? when was the last time a mountain team made the title game? i mean really you just gotta be honest with this. get real. give Holmes SV's schedule and give SV the Holmes schedule and see what would happen.

Elisha has been told by coach Pitino that he will receive a scholarship his sophomore year. Just like what he did with current Cardinal Preston Knowles who graduated from GRC.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Saw the following on nky.com and I thought I'd post it to get some chatter going about Mr. Basketball at the midway point. THe following is from a piece that Ryan Ernst did in today's Kentucky Enquirer:

Heading into the 2009-10 football season, Holmes senior Ricardo Johnson was among a group of potential Mr. Basketball candidates. At the halfway point, that group has gotten much smaller.

That leaves a field of three: Johnson, Josh Sewell and Elisha Justice.

Thoughts?

That is interesting, to see that this writer feels the race for Mr. Basketball has been reduced to a three-horse race. What's even more amazing is the fact that he puts Elisha Justice as one of those three horses.

Personally, I feel like Elisha has only a very slim chance to win the award. In my opinion, two factors are going against him. (1) I feel like Justice does not seem to have the respect of voters downstate. While he may garner plenty of support from EKY, I feel the prevailing notion of Justice outside the mountains is that he is too short and/or too slow to be considered one of the state's best. Which is unfair, but is partly the result of...

(2) Valley will have played a much weaker schedule by season's end than the other top contenders. Although I am constantly having to defend SV from their detractors on here, one thing I cannot defend is the schedule. It is an absolute disgrace that Valley has not played in at least one of the big-time state tournaments this year. KOB, Republic Bank, any of them would've allowed Justice a chance to show his stuff against top competition, and even more importantly, in front of the media in the state's biggest cities. Even if SV had taken some losses in these tournaments, Elisha's profile would almost certainly have been raised in many voters' eyes. Instead, while other contenders were showing off in the big tourneys, Valley was off in Florida far away from the state's Mr. Basketball voters. This falls back on the coaching staff or whoever was responsible for making the schedule, since to me the lack of quality opponents has done Elisha's candidacy a disservice.

My feeling is the award is Josh Sewell's to lose. He has been the best player on what has been the best team in the state (so far), and has the numbers to back it up. For Elisha to win, two things must happen: One, Trinity would have to lose in their regional and not even make it to Rupp, which considering who is in the 7th region is entirely possible. The other thing would be for Elisha's Shelby Valley team to make a magical, underdog run at Rupp, making it all the way to the state finals. Although SV has a good team, lots of things would have to fall their way, including getting a favorable draw. So this part would be much less likely to happen.

Still, plenty of season left to go, so a lot could still change.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Elisha has been told by coach Pitino that he will receive a scholarship his sophomore year. Just like what he did with current Cardinal Preston Knowles who graduated from GRC.

i'll believe it when i see it. hope he does get to play at UL so UK can slap them around and we can see how good Justice plays against some competition.
Justice is a good player, him going to UofL even as a walk-on is a great thing for a mountain kid since UK will not be taking any walk-ons under cal. Point is Justice is the best in the Mountains maybe not by as quite a margin as some say, but he is the best. Is he the best in the state? Its hard to say without seeing him go against "better" competition nightly...
cincycat23 Wrote:you show me where he has actual scholarship offers from more then 3 d-1 schools and i will give you $500. he is WALKING ON at UL. which means that they dont think he is good enough for a scholarship. so. that ends that debate. 2nd of all, if you can set and tell me that justice would put up those kind numbers against teams like Holmes,Scott Co,ect. then i will once again pay you. its not knocking him, its being honest. cause i dont care what anyone says. mountain teams just dont have the talent that most north teams have. and if you think so then tell me why these great mountain teams aint got a sweet 16 title? when was the last time a mountain team made the title game? i mean really you just gotta be honest with this. get real. give Holmes SV's schedule and give SV the Holmes schedule and see what would happen.

South Laurel beat Warren Central in 2005 to win the State Title.:biggrin:
OffTheHook Wrote:This coming from someone who prolly hasn't seen Justice play. I know Pitino and McCarty were enjoying the show EJ put on at The EXPO about a month ago.
It is kind of ironic the Mr. Basketball topic was not brought up after this game, or after the recent 31 point game of Elisha's but brought up after a loss. I was unable to see the game that Elisha and Hickey showcased their talents, but saw on this site that Elisha was suffering from tendonitis, and that they seldom guarded one another, yet Elisha's numbers were slightly better, so he gritted it out but the team suffered the loss and suddenly Elisha is not seen as a D-1 talent again and therefore does not deserve to be Mr.Basketball. This young man has a 4.0 GPA, has a solid Christian background, will represent EKY basketball and the State of KY well, and also has pretty good numbers to back up his being considered Mr. Basketball. I am saddened to see him being constantly degraded and berated. Win this award or lose, he is my MR.BASKETBALL.
I am not a sports historian but to your questioning the great mountain teams ever winning a Sweet 16 title. I think the J.R. VanHouse teams in Paintsville won a championship or two and the Scott May- Virgie team, Ashland won several,think maybe Hazard won a few, then King Kelly Colemans Wayland team won, and Clay County, and on and on and on. I am sure I can be corrected on some of these teams but don't bemean EKY basketball. We are having a special Shelby Valley Team, one that doesn't come along often and could use YOUR support, show a little EKY love!!Lol.
Josh Sewell is Leading Mr. Basketball Candidate
Trinity senior guard Josh Sewell is the leading candidate for the Mr. Basketball award in the state of Kentucky. He hopes to become the first player from Louisville to win the award since 2005 and the first to ever attend Miami (Ohio) following the receipt of the award.
• Sewell has claimed Most Valuable Player honors at the King of the Bluegrass, Republic Bank Holiday Classic and Louisville Invitational Tournament.
• Sewell joined Chris Lofton as the only player to be Most Valuable Player of the both the King of the Bluegrass and Republic Bank Holiday Classic during their careers. Lofton won both awards in 2002 despite not winning the team title in the King of the Bluegrass. Lofton won the MVP of the Fifth Third Classic in 2002 and 2003.
• Sewell is the first player to claim Most Valuable Player honors of all three events.

Josh Sewell is Top Candidate for Gatorade High School Player of the Year
Josh Sewell hopes to become the sixth player in school history and the first basketball player to be named a Gatorade High School Player of the Year in the state of Kentucky. Trinity has had one baseball winner, three soccer winners and one football winner.
Trever Miller ’91 won the baseball honor following the 1991 season. Brian Brohm ’04 won the football award following the 2003 season. John Michael Hayden ’01 won the 2000 soccer award while Nathan Marks ‘04 claimed the honor in 2003 and Darren Yeagle ’05 claimed in the honor in 2004.
According to the organization’s website, “In 1985, The Gatorade Company established an award honoring America’s elite high school student-athletes. Now in its third decade, the Gatorade Player of the Year award has become one of the most prestigious accolades in high school sports. The Gatorade Player of the Year program annually recognizes one award-winner in the District of Columbia and each of the 50 states that sanction high school boys football, girls volleyball, boys and girls crosscountry, boys and girls soccer, boys and girls basketball, boys baseball, girls softball and boys and girls track & field. The selection process for Gatorade State and National Players of the Year is administered by ESPN RISE, the multimedia high school division of ESPN, in partnership with The Gatorade Company. All final selection decisions are the result of a collaborative effort between ESPN RISE and The Gatorade Company. Amongst Gatorade Player of the Year award alumni, fans will discover names like Peyton Manning, Candace Parker, Alonzo Mourning and Lisa Leslie. These champions represent only a handful of exceptional talents who were first recognized by the Gatorade Player of the Year program before shining at the highest levels of competition. Over the past 24 years, more than 10,500 state and 200 national Players of the Year have been honored for their athletic excellence, academic achievement and exemplary character.”

Josh Sewell Joins 1,000 Point Club
Senior Josh Sewell continues to post some impressive numbers in the scoring column and has positioned himself to become the school’s all-time leading scorer. Sewell currently has 1,290 career point.
Sewell registered 457 points last season in 30 games. It was the most points in a single season by a Trinity player since Tanner Jacobs had 493 points in 29 games during the 2006-07 season.
Sewell passed the 1,000 point mark with 1:21 remaining in the third quarter of a 69-46 win over McEachern (Georgia) in the quarterfinals of the 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass. Sewell finished the game with 19 points and 1,002 career points.
Previously, the most recent addition to the exclusive club was Kyle Saxton, who scored 1,148 points in three seasons between 2003 and 2005. Saxton became the seventh member of the club during the second quarter of the 2005 Louisville Invitational Tournament Championship game on a free throw that completed a four-point play. He finished that game with 1,016 career points. He posted 441 points during his senior campaign, averaging 13.8 points per contest in 32 games.
• Josh Sewell netted a career high 31 points against Jeffersontown on Feb. 13, 2009. It was the most points by a Trinity player since Tanner Jacobs had 31 points vs. Clay County on Dec. 21, 2006. It was the second most points by a Trinity player under Szabo. Chris McCoy holds the best mark in the Szabo era, scoring 36 points against Male on Dec. 17, 2002 in an overtime loss.

TRINITY’S 1,000 POINT CLUB
Rank Player Points
1. Lee Morrison ‘91 1317
2. Josh Sewell ‘10 1290
2. Reid Markham ‘00 1211
4. Kyle Saxton ‘05 1148
5. Mike Purdy ‘80 1145
6. Jeff Wilson ‘92 1099
7. Pat Day ‘81 1087
8. Gary Stich ‘73 1086

Sewell Garnering Many Awards, Honors
Josh Sewell, the top candidate for Mr. Basketball in the state of Kentucky for the 2009-10 season, continues to rake in many honors and accolades. Sewell has won multiple awards during his career.
SEWELL’S CAREER HONORS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
• Named L.J. “Butch” Charmoli Most Valuable Player of the 2010 Republic Bank/Coca-Cola Louisville Invitational Tournament.
• Named Bob White Most Valuable Player of the 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass
• Named Most Valuable Player of the 2009 Republic Bank Holiday Classic
• Hit game winning three-point basket at buzzer in 60-57 win over Male in semifinals of 2009 Republic Bank Holiday Classic at Lexington Catholic
• Hit game winning shot with 13 seconds remaining to beat DeSales in championship game of 2008 Bearno’s Christmas Classic at Bethlehem High School in Bardstown, Kentucky
• Named to All-Tournament Team of 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass
• Named top player in 7th Region in 2009-10 preseason rankings by The Cats Pause
• Ranked sixth in the state among top players by Louisville Courier-Journal in their Nov. 22, 2009 preview section, but is one of just two players ranked in the top six that will play on scholarship for an NCAA Division One program. Sewell is ranked as the third best player in the seventh region by region coaches but the top player in the region by coaches across the state.
• Ranked seventh in the state among top players by Lexington Herald Leader in their Nov. 27, 2009 preview section. He was ranked as the top player in the seventh region by the outlet.
• Named Gatorade/Five-Star Basketball Star of the Game following 69-46 win over McEachern (Georgia) in 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass.
• Named Gatorade/Five-Star Basketball Star of the Game following 70-64 win over Clark County in 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass.
• Named Gatorade/Five-Star Basketball Star of the Game following 59-42 win over Seneca in the championship game of the 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass.
• Named Most Valuable Player of Trinity’s contest with Scott County at the 2009 Fast Lane Classic in Inez, Kentucky
• Named to the All-Tournament team of the 2009 27th District Tournament at Waggener on Feb. 27, 2009.
• Named Most Valuable Player of the Bearno’s Christmas Classic at Bethlehem High School on Dec. 23, 2008 after hitting the game-winning shot against DeSales with 13 seconds remaining in a 53-52 win. It was the first Most Valuable Player honors for a Trinity player at a tournament since Bret Saxton and Kyle Saxton were named Co-Most Valuable Players of the 2005 Louisville Invitational Tournament.
• Named to the All-Tournament team of the 2008 Republic Bank Holiday Classic at Lexington Catholic on Dec. 30, 2008.
• Named All-State Honorable Mention by the Courier-Journal following the 2007-08 season.
• Named Third Team All-State by the Courier-Journal following the 2008-09 season.
• Named All-State Honorable Mention by the Lexington Herald-Leader following the 2008-09 season.
TrinitySID Wrote:Josh Sewell is Leading Mr. Basketball Candidate
Trinity senior guard Josh Sewell is the leading candidate for the Mr. Basketball award in the state of Kentucky. He hopes to become the first player from Louisville to win the award since 2005 and the first to ever attend Miami (Ohio) following the receipt of the award.
• Sewell has claimed Most Valuable Player honors at the King of the Bluegrass, Republic Bank Holiday Classic and Louisville Invitational Tournament.
• Sewell joined Chris Lofton as the only player to be Most Valuable Player of the both the King of the Bluegrass and Republic Bank Holiday Classic during their careers. Lofton won both awards in 2002 despite not winning the team title in the King of the Bluegrass. Lofton won the MVP of the Fifth Third Classic in 2002 and 2003.
• Sewell is the first player to claim Most Valuable Player honors of all three events.

Josh Sewell is Top Candidate for Gatorade High School Player of the Year
Josh Sewell hopes to become the sixth player in school history and the first basketball player to be named a Gatorade High School Player of the Year in the state of Kentucky. Trinity has had one baseball winner, three soccer winners and one football winner.
Trever Miller ’91 won the baseball honor following the 1991 season. Brian Brohm ’04 won the football award following the 2003 season. John Michael Hayden ’01 won the 2000 soccer award while Nathan Marks ‘04 claimed the honor in 2003 and Darren Yeagle ’05 claimed in the honor in 2004.
According to the organization’s website, “In 1985, The Gatorade Company established an award honoring America’s elite high school student-athletes. Now in its third decade, the Gatorade Player of the Year award has become one of the most prestigious accolades in high school sports. The Gatorade Player of the Year program annually recognizes one award-winner in the District of Columbia and each of the 50 states that sanction high school boys football, girls volleyball, boys and girls crosscountry, boys and girls soccer, boys and girls basketball, boys baseball, girls softball and boys and girls track & field. The selection process for Gatorade State and National Players of the Year is administered by ESPN RISE, the multimedia high school division of ESPN, in partnership with The Gatorade Company. All final selection decisions are the result of a collaborative effort between ESPN RISE and The Gatorade Company. Amongst Gatorade Player of the Year award alumni, fans will discover names like Peyton Manning, Candace Parker, Alonzo Mourning and Lisa Leslie. These champions represent only a handful of exceptional talents who were first recognized by the Gatorade Player of the Year program before shining at the highest levels of competition. Over the past 24 years, more than 10,500 state and 200 national Players of the Year have been honored for their athletic excellence, academic achievement and exemplary character.”

Josh Sewell Joins 1,000 Point Club
Senior Josh Sewell continues to post some impressive numbers in the scoring column and has positioned himself to become the school’s all-time leading scorer. Sewell currently has 1,290 career point.
Sewell registered 457 points last season in 30 games. It was the most points in a single season by a Trinity player since Tanner Jacobs had 493 points in 29 games during the 2006-07 season.
Sewell passed the 1,000 point mark with 1:21 remaining in the third quarter of a 69-46 win over McEachern (Georgia) in the quarterfinals of the 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass. Sewell finished the game with 19 points and 1,002 career points.
Previously, the most recent addition to the exclusive club was Kyle Saxton, who scored 1,148 points in three seasons between 2003 and 2005. Saxton became the seventh member of the club during the second quarter of the 2005 Louisville Invitational Tournament Championship game on a free throw that completed a four-point play. He finished that game with 1,016 career points. He posted 441 points during his senior campaign, averaging 13.8 points per contest in 32 games.
• Josh Sewell netted a career high 31 points against Jeffersontown on Feb. 13, 2009. It was the most points by a Trinity player since Tanner Jacobs had 31 points vs. Clay County on Dec. 21, 2006. It was the second most points by a Trinity player under Szabo. Chris McCoy holds the best mark in the Szabo era, scoring 36 points against Male on Dec. 17, 2002 in an overtime loss.

TRINITY’S 1,000 POINT CLUB
Rank Player Points
1. Lee Morrison ‘91 1317
2. Josh Sewell ‘10 1290
2. Reid Markham ‘00 1211
4. Kyle Saxton ‘05 1148
5. Mike Purdy ‘80 1145
6. Jeff Wilson ‘92 1099
7. Pat Day ‘81 1087
8. Gary Stich ‘73 1086

Sewell Garnering Many Awards, Honors
Josh Sewell, the top candidate for Mr. Basketball in the state of Kentucky for the 2009-10 season, continues to rake in many honors and accolades. Sewell has won multiple awards during his career.
SEWELL’S CAREER HONORS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
• Named L.J. “Butch” Charmoli Most Valuable Player of the 2010 Republic Bank/Coca-Cola Louisville Invitational Tournament.
• Named Bob White Most Valuable Player of the 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass
• Named Most Valuable Player of the 2009 Republic Bank Holiday Classic
• Hit game winning three-point basket at buzzer in 60-57 win over Male in semifinals of 2009 Republic Bank Holiday Classic at Lexington Catholic
• Hit game winning shot with 13 seconds remaining to beat DeSales in championship game of 2008 Bearno’s Christmas Classic at Bethlehem High School in Bardstown, Kentucky
• Named to All-Tournament Team of 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass
• Named top player in 7th Region in 2009-10 preseason rankings by The Cats Pause
• Ranked sixth in the state among top players by Louisville Courier-Journal in their Nov. 22, 2009 preview section, but is one of just two players ranked in the top six that will play on scholarship for an NCAA Division One program. Sewell is ranked as the third best player in the seventh region by region coaches but the top player in the region by coaches across the state.
• Ranked seventh in the state among top players by Lexington Herald Leader in their Nov. 27, 2009 preview section. He was ranked as the top player in the seventh region by the outlet.
• Named Gatorade/Five-Star Basketball Star of the Game following 69-46 win over McEachern (Georgia) in 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass.
• Named Gatorade/Five-Star Basketball Star of the Game following 70-64 win over Clark County in 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass.
• Named Gatorade/Five-Star Basketball Star of the Game following 59-42 win over Seneca in the championship game of the 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass.
• Named Most Valuable Player of Trinity’s contest with Scott County at the 2009 Fast Lane Classic in Inez, Kentucky
• Named to the All-Tournament team of the 2009 27th District Tournament at Waggener on Feb. 27, 2009.
• Named Most Valuable Player of the Bearno’s Christmas Classic at Bethlehem High School on Dec. 23, 2008 after hitting the game-winning shot against DeSales with 13 seconds remaining in a 53-52 win. It was the first Most Valuable Player honors for a Trinity player at a tournament since Bret Saxton and Kyle Saxton were named Co-Most Valuable Players of the 2005 Louisville Invitational Tournament.
• Named to the All-Tournament team of the 2008 Republic Bank Holiday Classic at Lexington Catholic on Dec. 30, 2008.
• Named All-State Honorable Mention by the Courier-Journal following the 2007-08 season.
• Named Third Team All-State by the Courier-Journal following the 2008-09 season.
• Named All-State Honorable Mention by the Lexington Herald-Leader following the 2008-09 season.

I think this is the 3rd time it's been posted by you. Making sure if any coaches get on here they see it?
MVP2 Wrote:South Laurel beat Warren Central in 2005 to win the State Title.:biggrin:

i forgot that, but they rarely play the valleys,pcc,knotts,all the teams like that is what i meant. SL always has a tough team and would prolly win 9 out of 10 games against 14th and 15th region teams.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I think this is the 3rd time it's been posted by you. Making sure if any coaches get on here they see it?

Sewell is already committed to Miami, OH and has 3 MVP awards in the state's 3 biggest tournaments.

I doubt very seriously he needs anyone to promote his situation. His play on the court speaks for itself.
superfreak Wrote:I will agree with you if nobody else will! I saw Justice for the first time this year at the WYMT and I must say I was not impressed at all. There was a little skinny kid from Knott co that acutally played very good D on him. If that kid can stop Justice what makes you folks think he is a legit D1 player and MR. Basketball? I'm sorry to disappoint and I am from East KY but if this kid is the best player in KY we have no talent in this state.

I could say the same about the Holmes gang and the Scott County duo of Jackson and Euton. The Holmes boys are tremendous athletically, skill wise I'm not sold on them. We'll see how they fare against equal or better athleticism night in and night out. Besides, if Mr. Basketball averages 12 ppg, then the award is a farce. Jackson of Scott County has a suspect jumpshot, and Euton has no athleticism at all. All candidates have shortcomings; I've only seen Sewell once so I can't comment on him. In my mind, Guyn and Justice should lead the pack.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Sewell is already committed to Miami, OH and has 3 MVP awards in the state's 3 biggest tournaments.

I doubt very seriously he needs anyone to promote his situation. His play on the court speaks for itself.

Then what is all the promotion on this site about him for? Who on here needs to know what he's accomplished? No one on this site is voting for Mr. Basketball.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Then what is all the promotion on this site about him for? Who on here needs to know what he's accomplished? No one on this site is voting for Mr. Basketball.

Same reason you constantly promote Justice. Confusedhh::eyeroll:

This is BLUEGRASSRIVALS....not easternkentuckyrivals. It's ok to post about other players outside of the mountains and EKY.

This site has grown rapidly over the past year because of people like TrintySID. By him/her posting on here about Louisville players it will bring more interest to threads and also attract new members
kywldcat01 Wrote:Same reason you constantly promote Justice. Confusedhh::eyeroll:

This is BLUEGRASSRIVALS....not easternkentuckyrivals. It's ok to post about other players outside of the mountains and EKY.

This site has grown rapidly over the past year because of people like TrintySID. By him/her posting on here about Louisville players it will bring more interest to threads and also attract new members

Excuse me, I DEFEND Elisha. I don't start threads about him, I don't bring up all he's done, I don't boast about him, I DEFEND him when others, like you, try to knock him.
EJ may or may not be overrated, but the second half he played against the Georgia team at the Expo was one of the best halves I've ever seen anyone play. I know one half doesn't make a season, but it was amazing.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Excuse me, I DEFEND Elisha. I don't start threads about him, I don't bring up all he's done, I don't boast about him, I DEFEND him when others, like you, try to knock him.

Show me where I've knocked the kid or tried to belittle him. I simply give constructive criticism and point out the same weaknesses that some college coaches (including Pitino) have pointed out...at the same time I talk about his strengths as well so how am I knocking him? Get over it dude. Nobody is perfect and there's always going to be people who point out flaws.

Nobody is talking about this kid on a personal level. We all know Elisha is a great kid both on and off the court. People simply discuss his basketball skills and people like you get offended. I realize you went to school with him so you guys are good buddies or whatever you two are, but you really don't need to be so defensive any time someone mentions him.

I talk about the Holmes boys weaknesses all the time after wins or losses...doesn't mean I'm knocking them. I'm simply giving my evaluation of how they played or play. There's nothing wrong with that.
HD28 Wrote:I could say the same about the Holmes gang and the Scott County duo of Jackson and Euton. The Holmes boys are tremendous athletically, skill wise I'm not sold on them. We'll see how they fare against equal or better athleticism night in and night out. Besides, if Mr. Basketball averages 12 ppg, then the award is a farce. Jackson of Scott County has a suspect jumpshot, and Euton has no athleticism at all. All candidates have shortcomings; I've only seen Sewell once so I can't comment on him. In my mind, Guyn and Justice should lead the pack.

Superfreak is from EKY...what do Holmes and Scott Co have to do with him mentioning a KCC player did a great job on Justice???

Also, for a group who lacks skill (Holmes), they sure have had a lot of success over the past three years with just athletes alone. 80-7 against in state competition with back to back state championship appearances and a state title speaks for itself. Your comment about seeing how they fare against equal or better athleticism shows a lack of knowledge on your part considering the teams they've played and success they've had. Athleticism can only take you so far. See Scott Co and Eastern last year and the 7th region in general over the past several years. BTW, the Memphis Central team Holmes beat a few weeks ago is currently 4th in Tennessee and just beat Melrose, TN who was rated top 12 in the country.

And you obviously don't know why Mr. Basketball is awarded if you think it goes to the most talented kid who averages the most points. If that was all it's about, Scotty Hopson wins it in 08 instead of Darius Miller. MR Basketball is awarded to the player who succeeds both individually and on a team level. Mr. Basketball exemplifies the best overall STUDENT-ATHLETE as well. You can have all the success in the world on the court, but if you don't succeed in the classrom, you won't win the award. This is why Justice, Sewell, and R. Johnson are the three leading candidates right now.

As far as Ricardo's numbers, I can guarantee he has taken and averages less shots per game than any other player on that list. Through 17 games, Ricardo has taken just 159 shots for and average of 9.35 per game. With the style that Holmes plays, it's tough for anyone to average a large amount of points. They rely on good defense and patience on offense. Because of this, Holmes has a lot of balance:

Elijah Pittman- 16 ppg, 6.4
Ricardo Johnson- 12.3 ppg, 5.8 rpg
Jeremiah Johnson- 10.2 ppg, 6.9 rpg
Kevon Rice- 6.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg
Chris Hayes- 4.9 ppg
Demetrius Avery- 3.9 ppg
Willie Slusher- 3.5 ppg, 5.6 rpg
Jaydale Herndon- 3 ppg

When you have 8 guys consistently getting in the scorebook regardless of the competition, that means less shots for everyone. Teams also slow the ball down against Holmes which means less scoring opportunities. If Ricardo played for any other team in the 9th, he'd easily average a double double.

Also, very rarely does a player in the 9th region average 20 ppg. I can only think of 2 off the top of my head who do right now:

Blake Bryan (Villa Madonna)- 20 ppg
Jake Thelen (Covcath)- 20.1 ppg

Bryan was held to 12 points when Holmes played Villa and Thelen was held to 14 points when Holmes played Covcath.
HD28 Wrote:I could say the same about the Holmes gang and the Scott County duo of Jackson and Euton. The Holmes boys are tremendous athletically, skill wise I'm not sold on them. We'll see how they fare against equal or better athleticism night in and night out. Besides, if Mr. Basketball averages 12 ppg, then the award is a farce. Jackson of Scott County has a suspect jumpshot, and Euton has no athleticism at all. All candidates have shortcomings; I've only seen Sewell once so I can't comment on him. In my mind, Guyn and Justice should lead the pack.

Well I guess the only choice is Justice, because Guyn is averaging 12 points a game.

Unless Justice has a shortcoming then nobody gets it:HitWall:
Westside Wrote:EJ may or may not be overrated, but the second half he played against the Georgia team at the Expo was one of the best halves I've ever seen anyone play. I know one half doesn't make a season, but it was amazing.

Agreed. Justice put on a show in that second half. I was listening and he simply took over.

He and Pittman may very well have the two best second half performances this year in the state.

Against Christian Co, Pittman had 24 in the second half to lead Holmes to a W. Pittman cored 8 straight with less than 2 minutes left to tie the game at 63-63.
goodguy Wrote:Well I guess the only choice is Justice, because Guyn is averaging 12 points a game.

Unless Justice has a shortcoming then nobody gets it:HitWall:

This is where HD28 should take the following advice:

"open mouth, insert foot."

If he knew anything about the players he just mentioned, he'd know that Jackson and Euton are SC's two leading scorers averaging right around 17-18 ppg. :Thumbs:
kywldcat01 Wrote:Superfreak is from EKY...what do Holmes and Scott Co have to do with him mentioning a KCC player did a great job on Justice???

Also, for a group who lacks skill (Holmes), they sure have had a lot of success over the past three years with just athletes alone. 80-7 against in state competition with back to back state championship appearances and a state title speaks for itself. Your comment about seeing how they fare against equal or better athleticism shows a lack of knowledge on your part considering the teams they've played and success they've had. Athleticism can only take you so far. See Scott Co and Eastern last year and the 7th region in general over the past several years. BTW, the Memphis Central team Holmes beat a few weeks ago is currently 4th in Tennessee and just beat Melrose, TN who was rated top 12 in the country.

And you obviously don't know why Mr. Basketball is awarded if you think it goes to the most talented kid who averages the most points. If that was all it's about, Scotty Hopson wins it in 08 instead of Darius Miller. MR Basketball is awarded to the player who succeeds both individually and on a team level. Mr. Basketball exemplifies the best overall STUDENT-ATHLETE as well. You can have all the success in the world on the court, but if you don't succeed in the classrom, you won't win the award. This is why Justice, Sewell, and R. Johnson are the three leading candidates right now.

As far as Ricardo's numbers, I can guarantee he has taken and averages less shots per game than any other player on that list. Through 17 games, Ricardo has taken just 159 shots for and average of 9.35 per game. With the style that Holmes plays, it's tough for anyone to average a large amount of points. They rely on good defense and patience on offense. Because of this, Holmes has a lot of balance:

Elijah Pittman- 16 ppg, 6.4
Ricardo Johnson- 12.3 ppg, 5.8 rpg
Jeremiah Johnson- 10.2 ppg, 6.9 rpg
Kevon Rice- 6.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg
Chris Hayes- 4.9 ppg
Demetrius Avery- 3.9 ppg
Willie Slusher- 3.5 ppg, 5.6 rpg
Jaydale Herndon- 3 ppg

When you have 8 guys consistently getting in the scorebook regardless of the competition, that means less shots for everyone. Teams also slow the ball down against Holmes which means less scoring opportunities. If Ricardo played for any other team in the 9th, he'd easily average a double double.

Also, very rarely does a player in the 9th region average 20 ppg. I can only think of 2 off the top of my head who do right now:

Blake Bryan (Villa Madonna)- 20 ppg
Jake Thelen (Covcath)- 20.1 ppg

Bryan was held to 12 points when Holmes played Villa and Thelen was held to 14 points when Holmes played Covcath.

Pretty sure Jon Hood's team was WELL below average.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Pretty sure Jon Hood's team was WELL below average.

You got that right... if you ever got the opportunity to watch them last year you could quickly tell it was ALL Hood ALL the time, because he was simply it... all they had.