Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mr Basketball: Mid Season Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Saw the following on nky.com and I thought I'd post it to get some chatter going about Mr. Basketball at the midway point. THe following is from a piece that Ryan Ernst did in today's Kentucky Enquirer:

Heading into the 2009-10 football season, Holmes senior Ricardo Johnson was among a group of potential Mr. Basketball candidates. At the halfway point, that group has gotten much smaller.

Curtis Washington, a USC commit and the top-ranked recruit in Kentucky's senior class, left his Elizabethtown team last week according to a report in The (Elizabethtown) News-Enterprise. Scott County standout guard Ge-lawn Guyn has been hampered by injuries. Even if he returns to lead Scott County to the state tournament, the team's trio of all-state-caliber players (including Chad Jackson and Dakota Euton) will hurt his chances.

Johnson, the reigning Sweet Sixteen MVP, faces a similar situation. His teammate and fellow senior Elijah Pittman also is an all-state player. He's also a big-time talent who has showcased his game at Rupp Arena the past two seasons. But most coaches - every coach in the state gets a Mr. Basketball vote - see Johnson as the team leader and more polished player.

The award goes to the state's top senior, so junior standouts Vinny Zollo (George Rogers Clark), George Fant (Warren Central) and Chane Behanan (Bowling Green) aren't factors.

That leaves a field of three: Johnson, Josh Sewell and Elisha Justice.

Sewell has led Trinity to the No. 1 ranking in the Associated Press state poll. He's put up solid numbers (19.9 points per game and 6.5 rebounds per game), but the Shamrocks might have trouble emerging from a very tough Seventh Region. That could hurt.

Justice, of Shelby Valley, is the best player in the mountains. He averages 21.2 points a game. His team probably will reach the Sweet Sixteen. He's sure to garner plenty of votes from the eastern part of the state. He'll also get some added exposure at this week's All "A" Classic state tournament. But he's not seen as a Division I commodity. That will hurt him.

Johnson has a reputation as a complete player and a clutch performer. He's won on the state's biggest stage and probably will have a chance to do it again. His numbers (12.3 points, 5.9 rebounds, 3.6 assists) could hurt him.

But, really, who knows? I thought Simon Kenton senior Miles Simpson was going to win Mr. Football. He didn't.

Thoughts?
kywldcat01 Wrote:Saw the following on nky.com and I thought I'd post it to get some chatter going about Mr. Basketball at the midway point. THe following is from a piece that Ryan Ernst did in today's Kentucky Enquirer:

Heading into the 2009-10 football season, Holmes senior Ricardo Johnson was among a group of potential Mr. Basketball candidates. At the halfway point, that group has gotten much smaller.

Curtis Washington, a USC commit and the top-ranked recruit in Kentucky's senior class, left his Elizabethtown team last week according to a report in The (Elizabethtown) News-Enterprise. Scott County standout guard Ge-lawn Guyn has been hampered by injuries. Even if he returns to lead Scott County to the state tournament, the team's trio of all-state-caliber players (including Chad Jackson and Dakota Euton) will hurt his chances.

Johnson, the reigning Sweet Sixteen MVP, faces a similar situation. His teammate and fellow senior Elijah Pittman also is an all-state player. He's also a big-time talent who has showcased his game at Rupp Arena the past two seasons. But most coaches - every coach in the state gets a Mr. Basketball vote - see Johnson as the team leader and more polished player.

The award goes to the state's top senior, so junior standouts Vinny Zollo (George Rogers Clark), George Fant (Warren Central) and Chane Behanan (Bowling Green) aren't factors.

Sewell has led Trinity to the No. 1 ranking in the Associated Press state poll. He's put up solid numbers (19.9 points per game and 6.5 rebounds per game), but the Shamrocks might have trouble emerging from a very tough Seventh Region. That could hurt.

Justice, of Shelby Valley, is the best player in the mountains. He averages 21.2 points a game. His team probably will reach the Sweet Sixteen. He's sure to garner plenty of votes from the eastern part of the state. He'll also get some added exposure at this week's All "A" Classic state tournament. But he's not seen as a Division I commodity. That will hurt him.

Johnson has a reputation as a complete player and a clutch performer. He's won on the state's biggest stage and probably will have a chance to do it again. His numbers (12.3 points, 5.9 rebounds, 3.6 assists) could hurt him.

But, really, who knows? I thought Simon Kenton senior Miles Simpson was going to win Mr. Football. He didn't.

Thoughts?

This coming from someone who prolly hasn't seen Justice play. I know Pitino and McCarty were enjoying the show EJ put on at The EXPO about a month ago.
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...l+favorite

Here's the link in case anyone would like to go and comment.
OffTheHook Wrote:This coming from someone who prolly hasn't seen Justice play. I know Pitino and McCarty were enjoying the show EJ put on at The EXPO about a month ago.

Considering the amount of D1 interest other players around the state have received, the comment about Justice not being a big D1 commodity is pretty spot on.

And since Ryan Ernst has covered the All "A" and Sweet 16 every year, I'm pretty sure he's seen Justice several times.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Considering the amount of D1 interest other players around the state have received, the comment about Justice not being a big D1 commodity is pretty spot on.

And since Ryan Ernst has covered the All "A" and Sweet 16 every year, I'm pretty sure he's seen Justice several times.

You really cant stand this kid can you? All ways negative about Justice, Shelby valley and Southeastern Kentucky.
I know it's not all about the numbers, but I think the 12 point average of Johnson could really hurt his chances. None of his numbers look like Mr. Basketball numbers, but I know that playing with Pittman keeps his numbers lower than they could be.

Elisha has put up pretty good numbers, and if it was MVP we were voting for, he would be my choice. I think he means more to his team than just about any senior I have seen (Aaron Watts comes to mind as another).

To me, Sewell would be the frontrunner right now because of both individual and team success.
kywldcat01,

I feel one of your main goals on this site this season is to try and help RICO JOHNSON win some Mr. Basketball votes. You feel ELISHA JUSTICE is a big threat to beat him out. You always talk on here about how so and so is better than EJ, he is not D1, etc. Why don't you ever try to compare RICO to someone. RICO is not putting up Mr. Basketball numbers and they are squeking by opponents they should be blowing out. Can I get a second on my motion?
HollaBack Wrote:kywldcat01,

I feel one of your main goals on this site this season is to try and help RICO JOHNSON win some Mr. Basketball votes. You feel ELISHA JUSTICE is a big threat to beat him out. You always talk on here about how so and so is better than EJ, he is not D1, etc. Why don't you ever try to compare RICO to someone. RICO is not putting up Mr. Basketball numbers and they are squeking by opponents they should be blowing out. Can I get a second on my motion?

I second that motion.
Me too.
My pick is Josh Sewell. So far this season Sewell is leading the pack with MVP performances in the three biggest tournaments in KY. He is on a team that plays great defense and has several strong supporting cast members. No-one on the team is competing for the same award that he is. Trinity also plays good competition day in and day out, outside of their region and within the tough 7th.

Sewell
Performance against good competition +
Being the "man" on the team +
Schedule +

Ge'lawn Guyn, Chad Jackson & Dakotah Euton could all have the numbers to be Mr. KY Basketball if they were on a team where they had to be the main option, but they are all on the same team. Add Flannery and Manning (who will also play at the next level) as supporting cast members and it will be very hard for any of the three to put up the numbers that would get them the votes to become Mr. KY Basketball. Scott Co's schedule has been rediculous. Seems like every game they play, they are playing a top team in the state or a team that is ranked at the national level.

Guyn, Jackson, Euton
Being the "man" on the team -
Schedule +

Elijah Pittman & Ricardo Johnson are also in the same situation as the Scott Co. boys. They also have a supporting cast that will go on to play at the next level with J. Johnson and Rice. They are playing the tough schedule, not as tough as Trinity or Scott Co. but tougher than the most teams in the Commonwealth.

Pittman, Johnson
Being the "man" on the team -
Schedule + (but not as strong as Trinity or Scott Co.)

Elisha Justice will definitely have the numbers for Mr. KY Basketball but the schedule Shelby Valley plays is extremely weak. After this weeks loss to Christian County, SV will not play another top team in KY until they make it to the Sweet Sixteen. This will hurt Elisha's chance when being compared to the other candidates. Another plus for Elisha, he is on a team where he is depended upon to be the "man".

Justice
Performance against good competition - (Good #'s but against weak competition)
Being the "man" on the team +
Schedule -

My pick for Mr. KY Basketball......Josh Sewell
I've seen Justice a few times this season. He's a nice player, I'm not sure how good he really is though. I see some flaws in his game against modest competition I would really like to see him against the states best... Most mountain schools cant match up with his speed and without a doubt he's the best PG in the mountains (true Point!). Just not sure how he would handle being checked by a quicker guard... Many on here make him out to be the greatest ever etc etc, but from what I have seen he may be over hyped a tad. Again, I'm not taking away from him at all, he's the best we have to offer in the mountains, I just cant comment on him vs top talent night in/out...
Josh Sewell or Elisha Justice will be named Mr. Basketball. Sewell and his team have done a great job up to this point in the season and he is probably the leader for the first half of the season. Justice has a great opportunity to win it if SV can make a deep run in the ALL A and SWEET 16 in the second half of the season. Trinity may not make it out of their region or even district which would hurt Sewell.
I forgot to add Sewell plays for a 3000+ all boys private school, which most coaches do not like around the state. I also know the Jefferson County coaches are upset because the big privates got the best freshmen in the County from them this summer. This could hurt him as well since the coaches around the state are who vote.
Since King Kelly Coleman won the first Mr. Basketball award in 1956, NO PRIVATE SCHOOL has ever had a winner of Mr. Basketball. I think this fact shows how much head coaches think of private schools!
Some of you guys are ridiculous. Why do you think that just because someone states the truth or says someone is better than Justice, all of a sudden they're bashing him? Get over it...EJ is a VERY GOOD player but not the best in the state. There are other worthy candidates around the state too, ya know.

Anthony Hickey just came in to the mountains and proved this. You don't have to get defensive about any post that doesn't praise Justice and I'm not the only one says this, so the personal attacks are getting kind of old. We're talking about a high school kid here. I have no reason to bash him or his team. If some of you fans would be more humble about their success, you wouldn't have people like myself trying to bring you back down to earth with constructive criticism.

As far as the THREAD TOPIC, I think Josh Sewell has solidified himself as the best senior in the state right now. His individual and team success speaks for itself.

Ricardo Johnson has scored over 1000 points in his career but simply has too much talent around him with Rice, Pittman, and J. Johnson for him to average a high amount of points or rebounds.

Elisha Justice is putting up very good numbers but let's remember that Jonathon Ferguson put up better numbers than EJ last year and still didn't win the award. Playing against a weaker schedule hurts his chances. Talent wise he is good as they come, but his lack of opportunities to showcase this will be his downfall and why he doesn't win the award.

Elijah Pittman is probably the most talented player in the state but he plays with another first team all state player that many coaches feel are more polished so that will be his downfall.

I think Josh Sewell wins the award. Hard to argue against him with the success he's had this year.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Some of you guys are ridiculous. Why do you think that just because someone states the truth or says someone is better than Justice, all of a sudden they're bashing him? Get over it...EJ is a VERY GOOD player but not the best in the state. There are other worthy candidates around the state too, ya know.

Anthony Hickey just came in to the mountains and proved this. You don't have to get defensive about any post that doesn't praise Justice and I'm not the only one says this, so the personal attacks are getting kind of old. We're talking about a high school kid here. I have no reason to bash him or his team. If some of you fans would be more humble about their success, you wouldn't have people like myself trying to bring you back down to earth with constructive criticism.

As far as the THREAD TOPIC, I think Josh Sewell has solidified himself as the best senior in the state right now. His individual and team success speaks for itself.

Ricardo Johnson has scored over 1000 points in his career but simply has too much talent around him with Rice, Pittman, and J. Johnson for him to average a high amount of points or rebounds.

Elisha Justice is putting up very good numbers but let's remember that Jonathon Ferguson put up better numbers than EJ last year and still didn't win the award. Playing against a weaker schedule hurts his chances. Talent wise he is good as they come, but his lack of opportunities to showcase this will be his downfall and why he doesn't win the award.

Elijah Pittman is probably the most talented player in the state but he plays with another first team all state player that many coaches feel are more polished so that will be his downfall.

I think Josh Sewell wins the award. Hard to argue against him with the success he's had this year.

So mountain players are no good?
Benchwarmer Wrote:So mountain players are no good?

Now you're just nit-picking. Never once did I say this and if I did, please show where.

You're really taking away from this thread with a comment like this.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Now you're just nit-picking. Never once did I say this and if I did, please show where.

You're really taking away from this thread with a comment like this.

but his lack of opportunities to showcase this will be his downfall and why he doesn't win the award.

Either your saying he is not playing any games or he needs to get out of the mountains were the competition is good. Hence, mountain players are no good.
As for who is nit-picking is that not what your doing by grading the difference between the top talent in Kentucky? Since I'm from Southeastern Ky and so stupid that I take away from this thread with my dumb *** comments I'll leave it up to someone with better intelligence to make comments.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Some of you guys are ridiculous. Why do you think that just because someone states the truth or says someone is better than Justice, all of a sudden they're bashing him? Get over it...EJ is a VERY GOOD player but not the best in the state. There are other worthy candidates around the state too, ya know.

We can talk about how much talent both of these teams have, but my argument against the Holmes boys and Scott County boys for Mr. Basketball is that their teams should be the best 2 in the state based on talent alone (according to popular opinion). If both have 2-3 D1 prospects how are they not better as a team? I know SV only has 1 D1 prospect (and that is iffy according to many) so how can they even expect to hang close to teams like those 2? Either the talent of Scott County and Holmes is a bit overrated, or it is underrated for many other teams around the state.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Justice, of Shelby Valley, is the best player in the mountains. He averages 21.2 points a game. His team probably will reach the Sweet Sixteen. He's sure to garner plenty of votes from the eastern part of the state. He'll also get some added exposure at this week's All "A" Classic state tournament. But he's not seen as a Division I commodity. That will hurt him.

He's got like 4 or more D-1 offers, and he's going to play for a D-1 school and one of the best coaches in college. Good grief, someone's always trying to knock a kid.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:We can talk about how much talent both of these teams have, but my argument against the Holmes boys and Scott County boys for Mr. Basketball is that their teams should be the best 2 in the state based on talent alone (according to popular opinion). If both have 2-3 D1 prospects how are they not better as a team? I know SV only has 1 D1 prospect (and that is iffy according to many) so how can they even expect to hang close to teams like those 2? Either the talent of Scott County and Holmes is a bit overrated, or it is underrated for many other teams around the state.

Agree
btw when do they announce the winner for Mr.Basketball

Is it at Rupp during the Sweet 16
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:We can talk about how much talent both of these teams have, but my argument against the Holmes boys and Scott County boys for Mr. Basketball is that their teams should be the best 2 in the state based on talent alone (according to popular opinion). If both have 2-3 D1 prospects how are they not better as a team? I know SV only has 1 D1 prospect (and that is iffy according to many) so how can they even expect to hang close to teams like those 2? Either the talent of Scott County and Holmes is a bit overrated, or it is underrated for many other teams around the state.

Can I go with underrated?

Ky

I love how you assume your opinion is the truth and anyone and I mean anyone that says anything remotely positive about Sv or Justice is somehow delusional. Its not your job to bring anyone back to earth you do understand that I hope.

The first sentence is the only one I agree with you on in your entire post and the some starts with you kywildcat01. Anytime you get involved in a discussion about Shelby Valley you are always bashing them and the most probable pick for Mr. Basketball this season, Elisha Justice. If I were to have a pick, which I don't, it would be for Justice.
King Kelley played for Wayland High which was not a private school.
Cranium Wrote:King Kelley played for Wayland High which was not a private school.

They were just pointing out that since the first Mr. Basketball, which King Kelly was, no one from a private school has won it.

I will agree with you if nobody else will! I saw Justice for the first time this year at the WYMT and I must say I was not impressed at all. There was a little skinny kid from Knott co that acutally played very good D on him. If that kid can stop Justice what makes you folks think he is a legit D1 player and MR. Basketball? I'm sorry to disappoint and I am from East KY but if this kid is the best player in KY we have no talent in this state.
trufan Wrote:They were just pointing out that since the first Mr. Basketball, which King Kelly was, no one from a private school has won it.
My bad, over-thought that one a bit
kywldcat01 Wrote:Saw the following on nky.com and I thought I'd post it to get some chatter going about Mr. Basketball at the midway point. THe following is from a piece that Ryan Ernst did in today's Kentucky Enquirer:

Thoughts?

My thoughts after watching all 3 play are that Sewell coming from a school that isn't very well liked in the 7th region will struggle to receive the votes he needs to win.

Johnson's surrounding talent and his lack of stats will hurt his chances.

Justice would have the upper hand, having the better stats of the three and drawing from a large number of Eastern Ky schools that should stick together for a Mr. Basketball candidate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4