Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 52 Dixie 9
Duke, Don't you have some homework to do?
I'll take your advice. Thanks for the info.
neerfan Wrote:NCC you are new here and just wanted to tell you that you will learn quickly to ignore Can You Dig it. He thinks he is the all nowing high school football guru. Dont let him get to. Just ignore his posts and he will eventually leave you alone. I have found it easier to just:flush: him away and have fun on here.

:eyeroll:
neerfan Wrote:NCC you are new here and just wanted to tell you that you will learn quickly to ignore Can You Dig it. He thinks he is the all nowing high school football guru. Dont let him get to. Just ignore his posts and he will eventually leave you alone. I have found it easier to just:flush: him away and have fun on here.

NCC41 Wrote:I'll take your advice. Thanks for the info.

:lmao:
Let's keep it on topic!
I think its funny all the criticism of a kid who didnt take one snap as a QB on the Frosh squad last year and should have. Towles strictly played Safety on last year's frosh squad. Carter New was supposed to be the savior as they moved him up to JV midway through the year. All of the suddent Patrick grows to 6'4 and develops a strong arm and they want to start developing him and kick Carter to the curb. They need to make up their mind.

My only critique of the entire Bluebird program is their development of QB's is lacking at best.
If Towles takes this team to State, Mccoy better settle for RB.
Duke45 Wrote:I may seem a bit pessimistic, but I did not enjoy the fact that we, the student section, had to give Pat a sarcastic clap every time he completed a simple pass.

News flash, Duke. As a parent of someone in the student section, I can safely say that a lot of them have no idea what they're clapping for. They just want to dance to the touchdown song, do the roller coaster thing and check out what their friends are wearing. Situational awareness is not a strong point with them.
qryche11 Wrote:I think its funny all the criticism of a kid who didnt take one snap as a QB on the Frosh squad last year and should have. Towles strictly played Safety on last year's frosh squad. Carter New was supposed to be the savior as they moved him up to JV midway through the year. All of the suddent Patrick grows to 6'4 and develops a strong arm and they want to start developing him and kick Carter to the curb. They need to make up their mind.

My only critique of the entire Bluebird program is their development of QB's is lacking at best.

And you would be wrong. Towles did indeed get some snaps at qb as a frosh. I know he did, because I saw them.

Carter got more, no doubt.

Why the total disrespect towards the Highlands coaching staff? I think their track record at the qb spot over the years is pretty good.

The improvement in Towles from last year to this year is proof of that, don't you think?

It happens all the time. One kid improves more than another. Carter isn't getting kicked to the curb. Another kid due to physical attributes has become better. Carter will get on the field a lot over the next couple of years, just at another position. He's a fine athlete.

But Carter was supposed to be the savior? Who fills your head with such silliness? :biggrin:
Can you dig it? Wrote:News flash, Duke. As a parent of someone in the student section, I can safely say that a lot of them have no idea what they're clapping for. They just want to dance to the touchdown song, do the roller coaster thing and check out what their friends are wearing. Situational awareness is not a strong point with them.

Who cares? I love the student section this year. They have been great. They show up, cheer , clap , dance and I'm ecstatic they are there. Keep up the great work and you clap and dance whenever you want .

Situational awareness and lack thereof can also apply to 1/2 the parents in the stands.:biggrin:
Charlie its not disrespecting a coaching staff it is just ones opinion. I think they have an excellent staff. I just wonder why they dont have someone that specifically works with QB's, they had a former NFL player offer to help but he was told thanks but no thanks.

I personally thought Towles should have been the Frosh QB because he was 6'1 last year and threw a better ball than Carter. New was more of a scrambler who could hurt you with his legs. I think Carter is a nice 2nd option and will be a great athlete at Highlands both on the gridiron and the basketball hardwood. Towles is the better option at this time because of his size, you are correct. I really dont have a dog in the fight, they are both great kids and any coach would love to have them on the field.

I am not so sure though Towles doesnt get tested next year by a hardnosed QB coming up the ranks in McCoy. Donovan has no fear and stays in the pocket and with some QB camps under his belt next summer to improve his mechanics he could be very very good.

Like I saidn in an earlier post, the coaches at Highlands will have a tough decision to make at QB over the next couple years.
qryche11 Wrote:Charlie its not disrespecting a coaching staff it is just ones opinion. I think they have an excellent staff. I just wonder why they dont have someone that specifically works with QB's, they had a former NFL player offer to help but he was told thanks but no thanks.

I personally thought Towles should have been the Frosh QB because he was 6'1 last year and threw a better ball than Carter. New was more of a scrambler who could hurt you with his legs. I think Carter is a nice 2nd option and will be a great athlete at Highlands both on the gridiron and the basketball hardwood. Towles is the better option at this time because of his size, you are correct. I really dont have a dog in the fight, they are both great kids and any coach would love to have them on the field.

I am not so sure though Towles doesnt get tested next year by a hardnosed QB coming up the ranks in McCoy. Donovan has no fear and stays in the pocket and with some QB camps under his belt next summer to improve his mechanics he could be very very good.

Like I saidn in an earlier post, the coaches at Highlands will have a tough decision to make at QB over the next couple years.

How does that myth about there being no qb coach continue. Mueller and Vilardo spend a lot of time developing the qbs. Doesn't the marked improvement of Towles from last year to this year indicate any thing to you?

Stating that the Highlands coaches have kicked New to the curb, isn't disrespectful of the coaches? I sure think so. It implies they have no use for him and treat him like garbage. What else is placed at the curb other than garbage? They decided that Towles was the better qb in that class. You now agree with their choice. If so, why make the curb comment at all?

Seems like they did New a favor by making that decision known now so New can develop in another position. Much like they did with Austin Abner, who has turned into a very fine cornerback. Do you feel they kicked Abner to the curb also? I sure don't.

Enough about Lorenzen offering to help. If he indeed asked to help, Mueller obviously had his reasons for saying no. When you've won as many state titles as Mueller, I'll put some credibility in your second guessing of him. Until then, I won't. We know one another and I really like you, but at times you drive me crazy with some things you post.

As for McCoy, he's looked impressive as a frosh. So did New. But varsity football is a completely different game than frosh football. Perhaps he'll beat out Towles next year. We'll worry about it next year. Why even mention that stuff in the middle of a season? Good Lord, Towles needs all the confidence in the world right now, not some arm chair coaches pontificating on message boards about whether he'll be good enough to beat out a sophomore next year (and trust me, the kids read these sites. I wish they didn't, but they do).

Yes you have the right to your opinion, but with that right comes a responsibility to exercise it wisely.
You are right I am wrong sorry. Since you know me make sure you bring it up next time we see each other and I will try to clarify my post a little better. No need for me to do it on here. You are probably who I think you are so its a lose lose lol.
Can you dig it? Wrote:News flash, Duke. As a parent of someone in the student section, I can safely say that a lot of them have no idea what they're clapping for. They just want to dance to the touchdown song, do the roller coaster thing and check out what their friends are wearing. Situational awareness is not a strong point with them.

I completely disagree. The people I surround myself with there know perfectly well how the game is played and how our team is currently performing. To be frank, it doesn't take John Madden to know that your QB is missing his receivers by large margins.

Going off on a quick tangent, I'm not a big fan of the touchdown song; I much preferred the cannon. As far as the roller coaster, we do that once during halftime. Lastly, girls are the only people who care what each other is wearing, and most of them don't know how to play football anyway.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what Highlands will do against Cov Cath next weekend. I expect Cov Cath to show up to play and atleast make a game out of it, unlike Dixie.
For society's sake I hope you pay closer attention in class than you do at football games.
Duke45 Wrote:I completely disagree. The people I surround myself with there know perfectly well how the game is played and how our team is currently performing. To be frank, it doesn't take John Madden to know that your QB is missing his receivers by large margins.

Going off on a quick tangent, I'm not a big fan of the touchdown song; I much preferred the cannon. As far as the roller coaster, we do that once during halftime. Lastly, girls are the only people who care what each other is wearing, and most of them don't know how to play football anyway.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what Highlands will do against Cov Cath next weekend. I expect Cov Cath to show up to play and atleast make a game out of it, unlike Dixie.

lol, you're entire post is full of much too high of expectations apparently.

First off, Towles is doing a fine job. Bardo started off less than stellar and look how he was at the end. No one is perfect but get used to him, I'd say he'll be the QB for the next couple of years. The cannon needed to be gone, as shown it was a potential danger and a liability for the school. Girls DO know how football is played silly. But they want to look pretty in the process or act like they don't so boys aren't intimidated. And lastly and most importantly, I don't think CovCath is going to make much of a game of it..
Duke45 Wrote:I completely disagree. The people I surround myself with there know perfectly well how the game is played and how our team is currently performing. To be frank, it doesn't take John Madden to know that your QB is missing his receivers by large margins.

A fifteen year old in his first ever start against a district rival? Nerves are to be expected. He did fine. Room for improvement? Yes. Reason for panic? No.

Duke45 Wrote:Going off on a quick tangent, I'm not a big fan of the touchdown song; I much preferred the cannon. As far as the roller coaster, we do that once during halftime. Lastly, girls are the only people who care what each other is wearing, and most of them don't know how to play football anyway.

To cool to dance, eh? Chicks don't like that. :biggrin:
The roller coaster? Since when is the Highlands student section CovCath wannabes?
And lastly, if girls are the only ones who care what others are wearing, how do you explain the "success" of "black-out", "white-out", the tie-dye look from the Ryle game, etc? Again, back to the CovCath wannabe comment.:eyeroll:
Can you dig it? Wrote:A fifteen year old in his first ever start against a district rival? Nerves are to be expected. He did fine. Room for improvement? Yes. Reason for panic? No.

To cool to dance, eh? Chicks don't like that. :biggrin:
The roller coaster? Since when is the Highlands student section CovCath wannabes?
And lastly, if girls are the only ones who care what others are wearing, how do you explain the "success" of "black-out", "white-out", the tie-dye look from the Ryle game, etc? Again, back to the CovCath wannabe comment.:eyeroll:

Hey, I am just glad to see a bigger student section this year. Keep up the good work and try to get even more of the students to the games.
I agree sstack. If they could get that turnout for all of their games maybe it would carry into basketball season where the Birds have a legitimate shot at winning the Region and will need that 6th man to possibly knock off a Holmes or Boone CO.

Duke, I love the enthusiasm displayed by the students. It's good.

But I do take issue with the comment about Towles missing his receivers by large margins. Towles went 11-19. 4 of the incompletions were catchable balls but not caught by the receivers (one went right through Collinsworth's hands on the Highlands sideline; one went through Streeter's hand on a screen pass; one went through Gold's hands near the Dixie sideline on a crossing pattern; and the forth was broken up by a Dixie defender, but the tape shows that Buten could have adjusted to the ball and caught it). Another incompletion was intentionally thrown away as a result of my son not doing a better job pass blocking. So of the 8 incompletions, 5 were not due to missing the receiver by large margins or any fault of Towles. One of the other 3 incompletions was batted down at the line of scrimmage. Towles will learn with experience to get the ball over tall D linemen (No. 78 of Dixie, Wes Smith, is very tall). One of the remaining 2 was when Towles over threw Buten on a deep route. Qbs are taught it's better to over throw the long ball than under throw it where it is likely to be intercepted. Towles still didn't miss Buten by a large margin on that pass. The other and last incompletion was poorly thrown by Towles to Buten in the flat. But even then he didn't miss Buten by a large margin. The ball was short hopped to Buten. But it sure didn't miss him by a large margin; in fact one ref initially ruled it a completion until another ref over ruled him.

Bottom line: Towles played a great game in his first varsity start and doesn't deserve catching any flack from you or any other poster on here. And most definitely not from Highlands fans.

Lose with class, win with class.

:Thumbs:

I too am looking forward to the Cov. Cath. game and part of it has to do with how much excitment the student section will be bringing. Keep up the good work and pay no attention to the crabby ole men. Again, as evident by some of their posts, they know little to nothing about football themselves. :Cheerlead

With the exception of Charlie, he seems to know what he is talking about.:biggrin:
Hey "tradition" your post is very accurate and appreciated. I understand that people are not going to agree about every topic on here. I would hope not or it wouldn't be any fun, but it would be nice if opinions were based on sound football principals. Using the anonymity of the site to take grossly embellished shots at players is for the lack of a better term, "Weak".
NCC41 Wrote:Hey "tradition" your post is very accurate and appreciated. I understand that people are not going to agree about every topic on here. I would hope not or it wouldn't be any fun, but it would be nice if opinions were based on sound football principals. Using the anonymity of the site to take grossly embellished shots at players is for the lack of a better term, "Weak".

Yea, I'm with ya on that. I don't like when a poster takes shots at a particular player. "Grossly embellished" don't know that I would go that far, but I understand where you are coming from. But it is a student, and as much as I don't like to see a player get bashed on a site, I also don't like to see students get bashed. As an adult always to take it for what it is worth and move on with it instead of jumping into the fray. Heck, I have certainly seen much much worse from plenty of the so called adult football fans on these sites.
I remember seeing the highlights of this game. It was ugly with a capital u.
NCC41 Wrote:For society's sake I hope you pay closer attention in class than you do at football games.

Do not even begin to question how close I pay attention at football games or my level of intelligence.

tradition Wrote:Yea, I'm with ya on that. I don't like when a poster takes shots at a particular player. "Grossly embellished" don't know that I would go that far, but I understand where you are coming from. But it is a student, and as much as I don't like to see a player get bashed on a site, I also don't like to see students get bashed. As an adult always to take it for what it is worth and move on with it instead of jumping into the fray. Heck, I have certainly seen much much worse from plenty of the so called adult football fans on these sites.

Thank you.

As I said, I'm a pessimistic person, and I am very critical of my peers. As a student of Highlands, I expect the best of us, in both academics and athletics. When someone does not measure up to par, I become disappointed. I expect many things from our team, and it was a hard shift from Bardo to Towles. I may have let my personal opinion of Towles as a person influence my opinion of his performance. I apologize my post came off as a bash against him; it was meant to be a reminder that he didn't perform perfectly. Also, there are plenty of my peers who agree with me. For those who didn't see the game, you have no idea what I am talking about since the stats don't discuss his incompletions. Also, remember that when Dale called for a long pass, Collinsworth was the QB, not Towles. This shows that even Dale has some doubts in his abilities to make those long passes as a sophomore.

I look forward to the game when Dale allows Towles to display his true skills; I'd love to see Towles, not Collinsworth, get us the win against Cov Cath. Until then, I will still be a doubter because that is the kind of person that I am.

If anyone has any more comments on the matter, feel free to PM me. This thread was made to discuss the game, not bash each other. Thanks.
As someone who dealt with someone bashing a family member of mine on one of these sites due to their "personal opinion" of them, I just would like to remind you Duke, people read these things and no matter if it is personal or not, it still affects someone. You're in high school. In high school everyones personal opinion of everyone was bad...just keep it in mind. One day you'll look back and wish you hadn't acted that way.
Oh and I'd also like to see Towles lead HHS to a win over covcath.
Duke, you're in way over your head.....
drizzy Wrote:As someone who dealt with someone bashing a family member of mine on one of these sites due to their "personal opinion" of them, I just would like to remind you Duke, people read these things and no matter if it is personal or not, it still affects someone. You're in high school. In high school everyones personal opinion of everyone was bad...just keep it in mind. One day you'll look back and wish you hadn't acted that way.

whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Duke, you're in way over your head.....

Once again, I apologized for attacking a player, and looking back on it, I regret that I said it in the way I did. I'm not going to continue to defend my actions when even I feel what I said was in bad taste. I took it a bit too far when I made my point. Feel free to PM with any further thoughts, a.k.a. please do not spam this thread up anymore.
Done deal.

After watching SK and Ryle tonight...Sk would give Highlands a major run for their money...major.