Poll: Who Wins ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
St. Xavier (OH)
65.79%
Highlands
34.21%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Xavier (OH) @ Highlands 9/25
Both offenses can score. The question for HHS is will its defense show up with its A game? If so, then HHS has a chance. If not, then it will be a long night. Expect a high scoring game.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I know this question was directed at Stardust, but one of the biggest reasons Ohio schools have so much success is their numbers. There are only a handful of teams in KY that would actually be D1 in Ohio. Teams like Highlands would be in probably D3 or D4 over there.

For example...Colerain has 2200 kids in their school and probably 1200 are boys....some of the bigger schools over here in KY only have 1200 kids in their entire student body.
In Ohio they base division on grades 9-11 and Colerain has 846 boys and Louisville St. Xavier has 1,115 9-11, cinci St. Xavier has 1,171, Fort Thomas has 324

Anything 252 and over up to 347 would be a D3 in Ohio.
Cinci St. Xavier 42

Highlands 14
kywldcat01 Wrote:I know this question was directed at Stardust, but one of the biggest reasons Ohio schools have so much success is their numbers. There are only a handful of teams in KY that would actually be D1 in Ohio. Teams like Highlands would be in probably D3 or D4 over there.

For example...Colerain has 2200 kids in their school and probably 1200 are boys....some of the bigger schools over here in KY only have 1200 kids in their entire student body.

Not sure I buy that argument. Here are the male enrollments for just a few schools on both sides of the river.

Ohio

1) Cincinnati St Xavier - 1,559
2) Colerain - approximately 1,059
3) Cleveland St. Ignatius - 1,415
4) Cincinnati Elder - 908

Kentucky

1) Louisville St. Xavier - 1,461
2) Louisville Trinity - 1,419
3) Louisville Male - approximately 800
4) Lexington Dunbar - approximately 1,071
5) Lexington Lafayette - approximately 1,002

***I say "approximately" for co-ed schools. I just divided the total enrollment in half.

Cincinnati St. X is the biggest of the sampling but not by a wide enough margin to be a factor. Elder is much smaller than all of the schools listed, except Male and is without question the top football power at this point.

I honestly didn't think that enrollments would be a factor and I was correct. I think the biggest difference between the two states regarding high school football is coaching. The number of Ohio school coaches moving on to the college and pro ranks is astonishing. Ohio State football is a religion in Ohio, much like UK basketball in Kentucky, and this helps motivate kids all over the state to aspire to play for the Buckeyes some day; thus making them practice and work hard to be good. The feeder programs (youth and Middle School) in Ohio are top notch as well. Two NFL teams keep kids interested also. Finally, go to any high school football stadium in Ohio on a Friday night and it will be standing room only regardless of the teams playing or their records. It's just a way of life and Ohio kids never expect to lose to an out of state team. I know that occasionally it happens but it's the exception versus the rule.

By the way, I played high school football in Ohio and watched my two sons play in Ohio and Kentucky. I stil follow high school football in both states.

This is way off topic so I'll close before I get my hand slapped. I just wanted to clarify the original statement.

Thanks.
this highlands team should be experianced with only a few key losses but from my point of view all there kids can play
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:In Ohio they base division on grades 9-11 and Colerain has 846 boys and Louisville St. Xavier has 1,115 9-11, cinci St. Xavier has 1,171, Fort Thomas has 324

Anything 252 and over up to 347 would be a D3 in Ohio.

Also, Colerain is a public school. That makes a difference.
St. X

I don't buy this argument in the case of Lou. St X or Lou. Trinity compared to Cin. St X or Elder. Both Lou X and Trinity have between 1400 and 1500 students. Cin X is the largest private school in Cin. and one of the largest private schools in Ohio with a little over 1500 students. Elder has well below 1000 students. However, OHSAA has about 180 schools in their top class, D1. The KHSAA only has a little over 30 in our top class, 6A.

I think the biggest difference is not enrollment but its that hs football is much more serious in Ohio. The Pit holds about 10 or 12,000 and sells out for many home games. Boys in Cincinnati are learning serious football fundamentals in 2nd grade. Football in Ohio is much like basketball in Kentucky

Even Colerain with between 2100 & 2200 students compares in size to many of Kentucky's largest high schools. Dunbar, Lafayette, Tates Creek, Henry Clay, Scott County, and Henderson Co are just a few with enrollments in this range. I think its much more than just school size that seperates KY from Ohio in HS football.
For those of us who live out of town, does anyone have satellite coordinates for the TV broadcast?
Thanks.
rojas Wrote:I don't buy this argument in the case of Lou. St X or Lou. Trinity compared to Cin. St X or Elder. Both Lou X and Trinity have between 1400 and 1500 students. Cin X is the largest private school in Cin. and one of the largest private schools in Ohio with a little over 1500 students. Elder has well below 1000 students. However, OHSAA has about 180 schools in their top class, D1. The KHSAA only has a little over 30 in our top class, 6A.

I think the biggest difference is not enrollment but its that hs football is much more serious in Ohio. The Pit holds about 10 or 12,000 and sells out for many home games. Boys in Cincinnati are learning serious football fundamentals in 2nd grade. Football in Ohio is much like basketball in Kentucky

Even Colerain with between 2100 & 2200 students compares in size to many of Kentucky's largest high schools. Dunbar, Lafayette, Tates Creek, Henry Clay, Scott County, and Henderson Co are just a few with enrollments in this range. I think its much more than just school size that seperates KY from Ohio in HS football.

Highlands kids are also learning serious football fundamentals in 2nd grade and this is what keeps their program at the top, unlike what alot of people want to say is that they recruit players. I am glad to see some people understand. Highlands honored the founders of the Ft Thomas JR football League at last weeks game and the kids on this years teams went from endzone to endzone and shoulder to shoulder. This was the 50th year for the program. The future continues to look bright for the program!
What do schools like Lou. X and Trinity and the other larger schools in that area have to do with Highlands? I was simply stating one of the biggest reasons it's hard for Highlands to compete with a school like Cincy X, Colerain, or Elder is because of the enrollment difference. Having 800 extra boys to choose from to field a team makes a big difference. It allows you to play less kids both ways and practice is more competitive because so many kids are competing for a position.

You don't have to buy it, but in a game like this, when both teams are really good, enrollment does make a difference. Fatigue will become a factor eventually. I think Highlands keeps it close early, but eventually St. X will wear them down.
sstack Wrote:Highlands kids are also learning serious football fundamentals in 2nd grade and this is what keeps their program at the top, unlike what alot of people want to say is that they recruit players. I am glad to see some people understand. Highlands honored the founders of the Ft Thomas JR football League at last weeks game and the kids on this years teams went from endzone to endzone and shoulder to shoulder. This was the 50th year for the program. The future continues to look bright for the program!

It was great to see all the little league players at the game, but my guess is that maybe that was about half of them on the field. There are over 400 players in the league this year.

Also on the RECRUIT Players :zzz: topic, on Thursdays when Highlands conducts their pregame practice, all the players wear their little league jerseys. The ones that don't , is usually because the jersey doesn't fit. In other words,most of those players grew up in the Jr. League.:Cheerlead
I am going with the upset and taking Highlands by 13. Best of luck to both teams.
kywldcat01 Wrote:What do schools like Lou. X and Trinity and the other larger schools in that area have to do with Highlands? I was simply stating one of the biggest reasons it's hard for Highlands to compete with a school like Cincy X, Colerain, or Elder is because of the enrollment difference. Having 800 extra boys to choose from to field a team makes a big difference. It allows you to play less kids both ways and practice is more competitive because so many kids are competing for a position.

You don't have to buy it, but in a game like this, when both teams are really good, enrollment does make a difference. Fatigue will become a factor eventually. I think Highlands keeps it close early, but eventually St. X will wear them down.

Stardust's original comment was comparing Ohio football to Kentucky football. He said that enrollment was the big issue. We weren't talking just about Highland's and St. X.
MASSAY PREDICTION: St. X 28-8
St X by 28
Northern Kentucky teams over the past decade have been absolutely punished by Cincinnati teams. Highlands came close against Elder with turnovers deciding that game. The game this friday night is so much more than Highlands vs. St. X. I liken games like this one to Kentucky vs. UC in basketball. There is an unfriendly feeling between most Kentuckians and Ohioans. Throw some pride and pigskin in the equation and you have a sellout in Ft. Thomas. We as Northern Kentuckians abhor Cincinnati football. We look for every excuse to save face but the fact remains the same; DEFEAT. Cincinnati teams love coming to NKY and destroying us and each year we take it on the chin. This, my friends, is what fuels the frenzy surrounding games such as this. Highlands doesn't have a chance, but our insatiable desire and hope in victory against a Cincinnati powerhouse, like X, is overwhelming. I predict another Tyson vs. Lewis. And just think of how many were suckered into watching that one?
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Northern Kentucky teams over the past decade have been absolutely punished by Cincinnati teams. Highlands came close against Elder with turnovers deciding that game. The game this friday night is so much more than Highlands vs. St. X. I liken games like this one to Kentucky vs. UC in basketball. There is an unfriendly feeling between most Kentuckians and Ohioans. Throw some pride and pigskin in the equation and you have a sellout in Ft. Thomas. We as Northern Kentuckians abhor Cincinnati football. We look for every excuse to save face but the fact remains the same; DEFEAT. Cincinnati teams love coming to NKY and destroying us and each year we take it on the chin. This, my friends, is what fuels the frenzy surrounding games such as this. Highlands doesn't have a chance, but our insatiable desire and hope in victory against a Cincinnati powerhouse, like X, is overwhelming. I predict another Tyson vs. Lewis. And just think of how many were suckered into watching that one?

Have you reserved a seat for "a" St. X fan? I don't see many St. X people getting in unless they show up at 3:00
St X but not by much ill say 49-35 but hope they get destroyed
By Mike Dyer • [email]mdyer@enquirer.com[/email] • September 23, 2009

• • Print • ShareThis • Type: A A • Click-2-Listen

The St. Xavier at Highlands football game will be shown on tape-delay on the CBS College Sports Network starting at 8 p.m. Friday.

The kickoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.

Highlands sold the last of its allotted tickets Tuesday, and an estimated crowd of 5,200 is expected at David Cecil Memorial Stadium in Fort Thomas. Admission gates open at 5 p.m.

CBS College Sports Network is available in Cincinnati on Time Warner Cable's digital sports tier, Channel 322 or 176, according to network spokesperson Dan Sabreen.To access the channel, viewers must subscribe to the sports tier.

The network also is available on Insight digital cable Channel 531 in Northern Kentucky and via satellite on DirecTV Channel 613 and Dish Network Channel 152.

Information: cbscollege sports.com/ getcbscollege sports.

FOOTBALL: St. Xavier moved up to No. 17 nationally in the USA Today Super 25 rankings. The Bombers (4-0) previously were No. 19.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Northern Kentucky teams over the past decade have been absolutely punished by Cincinnati teams. Highlands came close against Elder with turnovers deciding that game. The game this friday night is so much more than Highlands vs. St. X. I liken games like this one to Kentucky vs. UC in basketball. There is an unfriendly feeling between most Kentuckians and Ohioans. Throw some pride and pigskin in the equation and you have a sellout in Ft. Thomas. We as Northern Kentuckians abhor Cincinnati football. We look for every excuse to save face but the fact remains the same; DEFEAT. Cincinnati teams love coming to NKY and destroying us and each year we take it on the chin. This, my friends, is what fuels the frenzy surrounding games such as this. Highlands doesn't have a chance, but our insatiable desire and hope in victory against a Cincinnati powerhouse, like X, is overwhelming. I predict another Tyson vs. Lewis. And just think of how many were suckered into watching that one?

Speak for yourself. I'm a Northern Kentuckian and have been my entire life and I don't abhor Cincinnati football; quite to the contrary, I respect and admire it.

I also disagree that the N. Ky teams have been absolutely punished by the Cinti teams in the past. Last year, Highlands only lost by 15 to a very good Colerain team. That's not getting absolutely punished. Heck, every year that we've played Elder, it's been a fairly close game. In one game we beat them if the ref doesn't blow the call (as proven by a photo published in the Enquirer). In another game (06) we beat Elder every where but the scoreboard as Elder's coach acknowledged in paper. We had some turnovers that gave the game to Elder. CovCath has played Cinti X very close on at least one occasion and maybe two. In 06 they also played Elder close.

Highlands is a big underdog this week for sure. But I think the game will be more more competitive than a lot of people think.
charlie22 Wrote:Speak for yourself. I'm a Northern Kentuckian and have been my entire life and I don't abhor Cincinnati football; quite to the contrary, I respect and admire it.

I also disagree that the N. Ky teams have been absolutely punished by the Cinti teams in the past. Last year, Highlands only lost by 15 to a very good Colerain team. That's not getting absolutely punished. Heck, every year that we've played Elder, it's been a fairly close game. In one game we beat them if the ref doesn't blow the call (as proven by a photo published in the Enquirer). In another game (06) we beat Elder every where but the scoreboard as Elder's coach acknowledged in paper. We had some turnovers that gave the game to Elder. CovCath has played Cinti X very close on at least one occasion and maybe two. In 06 they also played Elder close.

Highlands is a big underdog this week for sure. But I think the game will be more more competitive than a lot of people think.
I heard Collinsworth is getting PT for a hamstring injury. This is the type of injury that could nag him the rest of the year. I hope he is able to go full force this friday.
No Collinsworth....No chance.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:No Collinsworth....No chance.

Now that I will agree with you on.
What's the story on Highlands' turf with rain in the forecast? Does the field drain well? Will it be slippery? How does this factor into the offensive output?
Will wet conditions be more advantageous to ST. X. or Highlands?
charlie22 Wrote:Speak for yourself. I'm a Northern Kentuckian and have been my entire life and I don't abhor Cincinnati football; quite to the contrary, I respect and admire it.

I've been saying this for weeks. Although I'm a Highlands fan, I'm also a realist and know it'd be a long shot for the Birds to pull the upset, but I do think they can make it a competitive game and put some points up on the board to keep things interesting.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:What's the story on Highlands' turf with rain in the forecast? Does the field drain well? Will it be slippery? How does this factor into the offensive output?
Will wet conditions be more advantageous to ST. X. or Highlands?

Wet conditions will likely favor X as they have a huge offensive line and a very good running back in Hunley. Highlands best chance is to to try and force X in to passing situations. I think the HHS db's are good enough to defend the pass, but up front they'll struggle big time against the run.
I just realized that the Bomber's defense held Louisville St. X. to 7 pts. Scary stuff.....
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I just realized that the Bomber's defense held Louisville St. X. to 7 pts. Scary stuff.....

Neither X or T are as good as they usually are year in and year out, this year.
Come on! 7points? sucka please. Louisville St. X. is the #1 ranked team in the Commonwealth.