Poll: Who Wins ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
St. Xavier (OH)
65.79%
Highlands
34.21%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Xavier (OH) @ Highlands 9/25
Thoughts and predictions.
St. X is too big and deep to overcome and the Birds will need to play a flawless game just to stay in it. I applaude Dale for scheduling them but Steve Specht has that team running on all cylinders right now. They are an angry team also after having the horrible season they had last year. I think they are out to prove something this year and wouldnt be surprised if they knocked off Elder the week after.

Highlands better bring their A game and wrap up when they make contact because it will be a long night if they dont.
Wow, I want Highlands to win this and keep their National ranking high, but I just feel that the level of football in Ohio is so much better simply due to their numbers. My heart has the Birds winning, but my head says that St. X wins by 14. HHS is known for speed and can beat bigger teams. The thing is, St. X matches, actually exceeds the total number of speed guys. St. X from a national perspective is down this year, but not down from a football or GCL perspective. I hope for a great outing from Highlands. Bottom line, the Birds will not see a better team the rest of the year than what they see next week.
Well I am not a fan of highlands.. not that they are not a great team... Just the fact they have knocked my Dawgs from the playoffs to often.. I want to see them when for Kentucky pride just dont know if they have the weapons to play with them this year.. Good lucky to both schools.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
St. X
ST X by 14.
st.x
As much as I'd like to see the Birds pull this one out, I just don't see it happening. St X is VERY good and the way they've taken care of Lou. X and Trinity the past two weeks was impressive. Playing at home I think the Birds keep this one close early, but in the end too much size and speed from St. X for HHS to win.

I do think that they'll give X a better game than T and Lou. X did though. Highlands offense is better than both of those teams IMO but it's their defense that will be exposed big time.

Cincy St. X 35
Highlands 17
Is this game going to be on FSS Ohio?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
2 potent offenses with defense deciding the outcome of this one. No David vs. Goliath this week. St. X. 42 Highlands 21
lets go birds...represent for kentucky....:Cheerlead
As much as I'd like to see Highlands win, I just don't think they have enough to get the job done. St. Xavier takes this on by two touchdowns.

Go Bluebirds!
cougarpride08 Wrote:Is this game going to be on FSS Ohio?

CSTV is the channel that will be broadcasting the game...not sure what channel that is though. I guess it depends on which cable carrier you have.

Link to schedule.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:2 potent offenses with defense deciding the outcome of this one. No David vs. Goliath this week. St. X. 42 Highlands 21

Agree with your post, that is the score I was going to predict. Hope I am wrong though!!!!
Never seen Highlands play but, my oldest son played college football with a lot of highlands kids at Thomasmore and they came in the program with great knowledge of the game and had good work habits. The Owens kid started as a soph. at def. end and was a small kid but had great talent. Highlands must have a great program. I've been a fan of theirs for three years now not even seeing a game just meeting some of the kids, GREAT KIDS!:Thumbs:
BLue Birds!
that's right Wrote:Never seen Highlands play but, my oldest son played college football with a lot of highlands kids at Thomasmore and they came in the program with great knowledge of the game and had good work habits. The Owens kid started as a soph. at def. end and was a small kid but had great talent. Highlands must have a great program. I've been a fan of theirs for three years now not even seeing a game just meeting some of the kids, GREAT KIDS!:Thumbs:

Thank you for the compliments of our program and more importantly, of our kids.

We will be huge underdogs in this game. Every one with a lick of sense should understand that. But the kids and coaches believe that if they play and coach to their maximum ability each and every play, great things can happen. Our players just need to go out there and play loose and fast. X is very quick and if we play tentative, that will make the X players seem even quicker. Just go out their Birds and let it all go. Good luck boys!
This game will not even be close. St. X rolls 49-7.
Stardust Wrote:Wow, I want Highlands to win this and keep their National ranking high, but I just feel that the level of football in Ohio is so much better simply due to their numbers. My heart has the Birds winning, but my head says that St. X wins by 14. HHS is known for speed and can beat bigger teams. The thing is, St. X matches, actually exceeds the total number of speed guys. St. X from a national perspective is down this year, but not down from a football or GCL perspective. I hope for a great outing from Highlands. Bottom line, the Birds will not see a better team the rest of the year than what they see next week.

Stardust, I have seen you make the comment "...football in Ohio is so much better simply due to their numbers" on at least a couple of occasions. What do you mean by that statement? Do you mean the number of football playing schools, the size of the rosters, or what? Can you clarify that for me?

Thanks
35-14 st. X
charlie22 Wrote:Thank you for the compliments of our program and more importantly, of our kids.

We will be huge underdogs in this game. Every one with a lick of sense should understand that. But the kids and coaches believe that if they play and coach to their maximum ability each and every play, great things can happen. Our players just need to go out there and play loose and fast. X is very quick and if we play tentative, that will make the X players seem even quicker. Just go out their Birds and let it all go. Good luck boys!

If some kids had the work mentality that half of your kids had up there, we would surely be playing you guys every year in November. Your program is the example of how a football program is suppose to be run. We are almost there, but got a lot of work to do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
St.x-49 highlands-14
BLUECAT89 Wrote:St.x-49 highlands-14

Much as I hate to admit it, I think this could be accurate. I hate BIG crowds and blowouts, so I'm kind of torn on what to do this Friday. I've already got the pass, but I may sneak out and see the SK/Conner game instead.
I'm with the majority here. I say the Birds are outmatched in this game and just won't be able to overcome the combined speed and size of St. X.

Good luck to both and go Birds!
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:Stardust, I have seen you make the comment "...football in Ohio is so much better simply due to their numbers" on at least a couple of occasions. What do you mean by that statement? Do you mean the number of football playing schools, the size of the rosters, or what? Can you clarify that for me?

Thanks

I know this question was directed at Stardust, but one of the biggest reasons Ohio schools have so much success is their numbers. There are only a handful of teams in KY that would actually be D1 in Ohio. Teams like Highlands would be in probably D3 or D4 over there.

For example...Colerain has 2200 kids in their school and probably 1200 are boys....some of the bigger schools over here in KY only have 1200 kids in their entire student body.
that's right Wrote:Never seen Highlands play but, my oldest son played college football with a lot of highlands kids at Thomasmore and they came in the program with great knowledge of the game and had good work habits. The Owens kid started as a soph. at def. end and was a small kid but had great talent. Highlands must have a great program. I've been a fan of theirs for three years now not even seeing a game just meeting some of the kids, GREAT KIDS!:Thumbs:

Nice compliment. Tyler Owens was truly a late bloomer. I think he had an avg HS career as an undersized Defensive lineman but had a heart bigger than the moon and great work ethic.

Charlie22 makes a great point also in how the coaches certainly get the kids to believe. If they execute and are flawless then they will stay wiht the Bombers, atleast for a half or so.
St. X by 21.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I know this question was directed at Stardust, but one of the biggest reasons Ohio schools have so much success is their numbers. There are only a handful of teams in KY that would actually be D1 in Ohio. Teams like Highlands would be in probably D3 or D4 over there.

For example...Colerain has 2200 kids in their school and probably 1200 are boys....some of the bigger schools over here in KY only have 1200 kids in their entire student body.
Great point however, many just can't see that.
I think Highlands hangs with them for a qtr then that is all she wrote. St. X 42 Highlands 14.
Goodluck to both teams.