Poll: Who will win?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shelby Valley
60.00%
Elliott Co.
40.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley vs. Elliott Co. (Sweet 16 Quarterfinals)
Mason is not the same team as last years defending state champs.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Correct. I believe the old record was 21,283 set in 1987 featuring LaRue Co. vs. Clay Co. and Madison Central vs. Oldham Co.

I think if Valley hits the glass like they did against Mason Co. and plays aggressive, taking it to the hoop and challenging the Lions, this one will go Valley's way. SV has played some tough, ugly, halfcourt games as of late and have found a way to win. Yet, if they continue to shoot free throws poorly, it will eventually catch up to them. It would be karma if it happens against Elliott considering their first matchup back during the All "A".

Let's hope that this game doesn't end up like their matchup in 2007 with 31 fouls called against SV. That was horrible.

One other note. It seems to me like Elliott County has never been able to get over the hump on the state tournament level. Yes, this group has won a game in the Sweet 16 before, but couldn't seal the deal last season against Mason Co. This same group of seniors have participated in 4 of the last 6 All "A" Classic tournaments, failing to get past the opening round 3 of the 4 times and of course losing to SV (while being the favorite in the polls when they met.) To me, EC stumbles under pressure and I have to believe that EC will have a ton of self-inflicted pressure come Friday night against Valley for Part II of their 2009 series.

Maybe USA Today will make a re-write for SV.

I'd say it will be the Lions will be the one's applying the pressure.:Thumbs:
if this game is called close it will be a long night for valley
ky wildcats Wrote:if this game is called close it will be a long night for valley

I agree ,

The mugging last time was bad. It will be a diferent story this time just wait and see.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I'm not taking it personal, I was just merely providing the stats to let others decide whether SV played well defensively or not. You didn't quote that part of my original statement so I guess you agree with me.

As for rankings, Cantrell had SV ranked first by tenths of a % point over Mason Co while other media outlets have SV as low as 4th. Until Mason fell, it was their tournament to lose. JMO.
I didn't quote that part because it would just be impossible to argue with... I just didn't think they were as intense or played as well as a number one favorite should or could have... If you watched the game you saw some stuff that made you say to yourself cm'on Valley....
Good Luck Shelby Valley. When I covered the first game on the radio between these two teams Elliott shot 6-25 from three point land. I think that the Valley's defense will be a little too much. Too bad I can't go to the game. I am in Charleston, West Virginia following Tug Valley in the state. I can tell you this Mingo County is behind you Wildcats.
Does anyone know where Valley is staying while in Lex?
Elliot County all the way! GO LIONS!!! :rockon:
i think valley has it.....they are strong when elisha comes to play
Valley has got to start making their free throws. They did a good job in the 4th quarter, but was something like 3 for 11 in the first half. I feel like they have to play better in the 1st half tonight to have a chance at winning. I think it was nerves that set in last night, tonight I hope they are settled in and are ready to play. If they come out with the fire they had in Richmond and shoot freethrows like they did in the second half, Valley by 10+. If not... I dont even want to mention it.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
If i were the valley playerand got on here i would think this game is elisha justice game to win or lose you people never give anyone else any credit, imo hatifield has to have a good game for valley to win not justice because he we get his.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Correct. I believe the old record was 21,283 set in 1987 featuring LaRue Co. vs. Clay Co. and Madison Central vs. Oldham Co.

I think if Valley hits the glass like they did against Mason Co. and plays aggressive, taking it to the hoop and challenging the Lions, this one will go Valley's way. SV has played some tough, ugly, halfcourt games as of late and have found a way to win. Yet, if they continue to shoot free throws poorly, it will eventually catch up to them. It would be karma if it happens against Elliott considering their first matchup back during the All "A".

Let's hope that this game doesn't end up like their matchup in 2007 with 31 fouls called against SV. That was horrible.

One other note. It seems to me like Elliott County has never been able to get over the hump on the state tournament level. Yes, this group has won a game in the Sweet 16 before, but couldn't seal the deal last season against Mason Co. This same group of seniors have participated in 4 of the last 6 All "A" Classic tournaments, failing to get past the opening round 3 of the 4 times and of course losing to SV (while being the favorite in the polls when they met.) To me, EC stumbles under pressure and I have to believe that EC will have a ton of self-inflicted pressure come Friday night against Valley for Part II of their 2009 series.

Just a small correction here I think that was Oldham vs Hazard not 100% sure
I will take Elliott by 5.
Everyone needs to hitting shots for Valley, Elisha cant score every point. Hatfield seems to be in a slump right now, he really needs to have a good game.

Ill take shelby Valley by 7. Good luck SV!!!
Good Luck to SV !!!!
I believe SV will be a little more settled in this game. They know what to expect from their opponents and they have already played one game. Hopefully!!!
Good Luck SV!!!
dont think the cats can handle elliott for the second time...
Elliott Co. wins this match up
SV by 5
Elliott By 9
Shelby Valley will take control of the game again tonight. If they knock down there free throws, they should have this one in the bag. They are going to play tight D against Elliott just like they did in the all "a". And once again it is going to be too much for Elliott to handle. If they hit the free throws they will win by about ten. But if they dont they will win with a nail biter.
Twins couldn't handle Elisha in the first game, don't see that being any different tonight, Valley by 8.
I'm pulling for Valley in this one!
If Valley can come out and play a great first half, then they will stand a good chance at winning. If they play in the first half like they have in the previous three games, they can't win. Elliot is not the type of team that you can come back on very easily. Four quarters of good basketball is what Valley must play.
I look for Valley to come out of their match-up 2-3 zone early and stick with a man-to-man for most of the game. Elliot has three guys that can shoot the three ball as good as Middleton, and we all know that Elliot will shoot more threes than Mason, so defending the perimeter is a must.
As for the free throws, if they shoot them poorly tonight they will be out of the tournament!
Come on Valley, in order to Valley win, EJ must have his game going, Hatfield, Newsome and Adams will have to pull down the rebounds and everyone just needs to play their game, good offense and defense. Foul Shots is a must for Valley tonight, if Valley dont hit there foul shots then this game can come down to the last possesion or worst a 10+ game for Elliot. Valley players will be ready for this game. Im gonna say Valley by 9, Lets go Cats!!!

Never gotten over the hump??????? Half of Valley's enrollment and twice the wins! Very apparent you didn't watch last years game against Mason, or you would have more respect. My prediction.......USA Today don't have to change a thing!
I'm going with the Wildcats.I do believe that it will be a close game, and Shelby Valley must play a better first half and hit better than 50% of their free throws.I think that we will see a different Valley team tonight.Come on Wildcats, just play your game and you should be fine.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Twins couldn't handle Elisha in the first game, don't see that being any different tonight, Valley by 8.

Then I have a ticket I will give you if you would like to see it in person! EC 65, SV 60, Justice don't handle anything but a loss!
letthebighogroot Wrote:Then I have a ticket I will give you if you would like to see it in person! EC 65, SV 60, Justice don't handle anything but a loss!

Justice will be a monster tonight, gonna say he puts up 25+ which will lead to a Valley win
Valley-67
EC- 60

go wildcats
NYY10 Wrote:Justice will be a monster tonight, gonna say he puts up 25+ which will lead to a Valley win
Valley-67
EC- 60

go wildcats

He can put up as many as he likes, valley WILL NOT get the offensive rebounds that they got in the first game, that is what won the first game, not Justice. Valley just shot til they hit in the first game..........Won't be the case this go-around.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Then I have a ticket I will give you if you would like to see it in person! EC 65, SV 60, Justice don't handle anything but a loss!
Sounds like a broken record from what was being said before the All A. Cant you come up with anything new?

letthebighogroot Wrote:He can put up as many as he likes, valley WILL NOT get the offensive rebounds that they got in the first game, that is what won the first game, not Justice. Valley just shot til they hit in the first game..........Won't be the case this go-around.
So you are saying IF Valley controls the boards Valley will win again?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Funny how the poll is a wide margin for Valley to win, yet the same ol people continue to say Elliott will win the game, and they base it on the same reasons they said Elliott would win the first time.