Poll: Who will win?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shelby Valley
60.00%
Elliott Co.
40.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley vs. Elliott Co. (Sweet 16 Quarterfinals)
Who wins it???????
:Cheerlead
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
Shelby Valley wins this meeting the second time round.
I am cheering for the Wildcats, but should be a great game. I heard that tonights attendance beat the old attendance for a first round game by 16 people.
Irish4 voted for EC, please say it isn't so.
The evening session tomorrow should be a terrific couple of games. Holmes vs Lex Cath and Shelby Valley vs Elliott County.

I'll take Holmes vs Elliott County in the semis.
FBALL Wrote:The evening session tomorrow should be a terrific couple of games. Holmes vs Lex Cath and Shelby Valley vs Elliott County.

I'll take Holmes vs Elliott County in the semis.

I'll take the inverse.
LexCath vs. SV

Tomorrows evening session will quite possibly come close to selling Rupp out.
Valley by 6
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I'll take the inverse.
LexCath vs. SV

Tomorrows evening session will quite possibly come close to selling Rupp out.
I agree with the last sentence. It will be packed.
Im going to say EC by 7
Tomorrow's quarterfinals round is by far the best in recent memory, two city schools battle then two mountain schools. Eastern got a lucky draw in this one, they will walk into the finals.
I'm gonna go with Elliott County this time around in a VERY close one. These terrible first halfs by Shelby Valley the previous 3 games just makes me think, if it happens again, it could be the end of their season. Elliott has the revenge factor on their side.

Elliott - 79
Valley - 75
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
No doubt about it Elliott will take this one. If Valley plays like they did tonight this one will get ugly fast. But I think it will be a close game Elliott by 1-5 points.
im goin to take SV by 5 in OT
Shelby Valley over Holmes and then over Eastern is the way I have my bracket filled out. I do want to say also any team that is left is a good team and should be proud of their season they have had this year. Go Valley!!
Could be an OT finish. Will be in attendance for this one and am looking forward to this matchup more than any other.

Good luck to both teams!
PC_You_Know Wrote:Irish4 voted for EC, please say it isn't so.

I did because every time I vote for a team they always lose! I have the worst luck of picking winners, ask Redneck....haha. It should be a great game, I look for this game to be close the entire night unlike the semi's at McBrayer.
if vally makes there foul shot they win there team d will be the difference this will be a awesome game.
trufan Wrote:I am cheering for the Wildcats, but should be a great game. I heard that tonights attendance beat the old attendance for a first round game by 16 people.

Correct. I believe the old record was 21,283 set in 1987 featuring LaRue Co. vs. Clay Co. and Madison Central vs. Oldham Co.

I think if Valley hits the glass like they did against Mason Co. and plays aggressive, taking it to the hoop and challenging the Lions, this one will go Valley's way. SV has played some tough, ugly, halfcourt games as of late and have found a way to win. Yet, if they continue to shoot free throws poorly, it will eventually catch up to them. It would be karma if it happens against Elliott considering their first matchup back during the All "A".

Let's hope that this game doesn't end up like their matchup in 2007 with 31 fouls called against SV. That was horrible.

One other note. It seems to me like Elliott County has never been able to get over the hump on the state tournament level. Yes, this group has won a game in the Sweet 16 before, but couldn't seal the deal last season against Mason Co. This same group of seniors have participated in 4 of the last 6 All "A" Classic tournaments, failing to get past the opening round 3 of the 4 times and of course losing to SV (while being the favorite in the polls when they met.) To me, EC stumbles under pressure and I have to believe that EC will have a ton of self-inflicted pressure come Friday night against Valley for Part II of their 2009 series.

Maybe USA Today will make a re-write for SV.
dortonite Wrote:Shelby Valley over Holmes and then over Eastern is the way I have my bracket filled out. I do want to say also any team that is left is a good team and should be proud of their season they have had this year. Go Valley!!

dont count your chickens before they hatch
jammin' jamey Wrote:Correct. I believe the old record was 21,283 set in 1987 featuring LaRue Co. vs. Clay Co. and Madison Central vs. Oldham Co.

I think if Valley hits the glass like they did against Mason Co. and plays aggressive, taking it to the hoop and challenging the Lions, this one will go Valley's way. SV has played some tough, ugly, halfcourt games as of late and have found a way to win. Yet, if they continue to shoot free throws poorly, it will eventually catch up to them. It would be karma if it happens against Elliott considering their first matchup back during the All "A".

Let's hope that this game doesn't end up like their matchup in 2007 with 31 fouls called against SV. That was horrible.

One other note. It seems to me like Elliott County has never been able to get over the hump on the state tournament level. Yes, this group has won a game in the Sweet 16 before, but couldn't seal the deal last season against Mason Co. This same group of seniors have participated in 4 of the last 6 All "A" Classic tournaments, failing to get past the opening round 3 of the 4 times and of course losing to SV (while being the favorite in the polls when they met.) To me, EC stumbles under pressure and I have to believe that EC will have a ton of self-inflicted pressure come Friday night against Valley for Part II of their 2009 series.

Maybe USA Today will make a re-write for SV.

USA Today, ESPN, and others have all done articles on Elliott, how would they feel to know lil ol Shelby Valley knocked them out.
EC by 5, I cant wait to see this one! ..GO ELLIOT CO!!!
Valley didn't look like the number one ranked team. The defence wasn't anything special like it usually is and it seemed like they wern't excited to be there. I counted two non-contested air balls... Not impressive in the least. Good luck to the Wildcats but I'm taking Elliott by 9+
is this game at 6 or 8 ?
Mr.Mister Wrote:Valley didn't look like the number one ranked team. The defence wasn't anything special like it usually is and it seemed like they wern't excited to be there. I counted two non-contested air balls... Not impressive in the least. Good luck to the Wildcats but I'm taking Elliott by 9+

SV's defense wasn't special? You don't call holding the defending state champion to a 12-5 advantage over the final 4 minutes of the game impressive? Or causing Mason Co. to shoot 27% for the game impressive? 24 of Mason County's 47 FG attempts were from the outside and they were held to 5 second-chance points tonight. And you think SV's defense wasn't anything special? :HitWall:

SV wasn't excited about being there? They were uptight early, but settled in during the second half. If you can't get excited about playing at Rupp in the Sweet 16 then stay at the house and believe me, they showed up!

Granted SV didn't play their best game, but given their opponent, it's all about surving and advancing. That's special in itself.
I'm pulling for Valley(my dad played for Dorton), but I don't see them beating EC again.
EC 74
SV 70
Elliot County.
Mason missed alot of layups that makes them shoo at better % and by getting to the rim their defense isnt great either but surive and advance they did
jammin' jamey Wrote:SV wasn't excited about being there? They were uptight early, but settled in during the second half. If you can't get excited about playing at Rupp in the Sweet 16 then stay at the house and believe me, they showed up!

Granted SV didn't play their best game, but given their opponent, it's all about surving and advancing. That's special in itself.
They seemed tired, stats and numbers really can't describe if your pumped or not... I mean surly it's not just me that think that overall most of the game was boring and sloppy from SV's end. Don't take it personal. They are the number one ranked team so who cares if Mason Co. are the defending state champs?
Mr.Mister Wrote:Don't take it personal. They are the number one ranked team so who cares if Mason Co. are the defending state champs?

I'm not taking it personal, I was just merely providing the stats to let others decide whether SV played well defensively or not. You didn't quote that part of my original statement so I guess you agree with me.

As for rankings, Cantrell had SV ranked first by tenths of a % point over Mason Co while other media outlets have SV as low as 4th. Until Mason fell, it was their tournament to lose. JMO.