Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike County Bowl Moved
Any scenario other than Pikeville and Belfry on the same field on the same night makes for a very cheapened and watered down PCB. Simple fact.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:You and I have disagreed over this before. I know that those games are very important to the county schools. My point is that they dont belong in the PCB. When this bowl was created it was for the 2 best teams in Pike County to play 2 quality teams from out of the region. IMO when the other schools got involved it cheapened the bowl quite a bit. No offense to any of these schools but the PCB is the only place where a team can beat either Phelps,ER,SV,or PC and get a trophy for this "accomplishment".:1:

Who has Pikeville beat in the past 10 years to consider it an "accomplishment"? Belfry carries this bowl. If the Pikeville fans had to travel like the Belfry fans used to then this bowl would have died out long ago.
LifeSentence Wrote:Who has Pikeville beat in the past 10 years to consider it an "accomplishment"? Belfry carries this bowl. If the Pikeville fans had to travel like the Belfry fans used to then this bowl would have died out long ago.

Well look at who they play. They bring in some of the best.

1997 Ashland 70 Pikeville 28
1998 Breathitt Co. 33 Pikeville 0
1999 Boyle Co. 24 Pikeville 6
2000 Pikeville 46 Lawrence Co. 36
2001 Lafayette 33 Pikeville 14
2002 Pikeville 31 Campbellsville 8
2003 Lawrence County 28 Pikeville 0
2004 Pikeville 14 Prestonsburg 0
2005 Newport Central Catholic 37 Pikeville 6
2006 Henry Clay 31 Pikeville 0
2007 Pikeville 28 Louisville Holy Cross 14

Pikeville uses this games to not only try to bring out a crowd, but get better and learn what will and won't work against the better Class A teams. It's the first game of the year, it doesn't mean anything. Would you like to win? Yes, but It would be better to play a very good team and see what you need to work on, than go out and beat some 0-10 team by 50.
LifeSentence Wrote:Who has Pikeville beat in the past 10 years to consider it an "accomplishment"? Belfry carries this bowl. If the Pikeville fans had to travel like the Belfry fans used to then this bowl would have died out long ago.
Wow
You are right...Not only does Belfry carry this bowl but if it weren't for Belfry then football in the state of KY would die too. Rolleyes

Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Get real.
Old Timer Wrote:Wow
You are right...Not only does Belfry carry this bowl but if it weren't for Belfry then football in the state of KY would die too. Rolleyes
Yeah you didnt know that football didnt exist till Haywood came to Pond Creek and spoke it into existence and then on the 7th day he rested. LOL! just kiddin guys.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:You and I have disagreed over this before. I know that those games are very important to the county schools. My point is that they dont belong in the PCB. When this bowl was created it was for the 2 best teams in Pike County to play 2 quality teams from out of the region. IMO when the other schools got involved it cheapened the bowl quite a bit. No offense to any of these schools but the PCB is the only place where a team can beat either Phelps,ER,SV,or PC and get a trophy for this "accomplishment".:1:

I guess we'll just have to disagree, then, because I don't think involving the other schools hurts anyone. It gives them a chance to play an important game in a big-game setting, while the "big 2" schools still get to play their marquee opponent afterward.

(Side note, I must have been asleep the day Louisville Holy Cross became a "quality opponent". In my opinion, the scheduling for the PCB has gone downhill lately, but I guess that's a topic for another discussion...)

Anyway, I assume we can at least agree that Belfry losing their host spot to Shelby Valley is ridiculous. The event should always be held at the two traditional powers, until one of the other schools gets their program to a similar level of competitiveness.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I guess we'll just have to disagree, then, because I don't think involving the other schools hurts anyone. It gives them a chance to play an important game in a big-game setting, while the "big 2" schools still get to play their marquee opponent afterward.

(Side note, I must have been asleep the day Louisville Holy Cross became a "quality opponent". In my opinion, the scheduling for the PCB has gone downhill lately, but I guess that's a topic for another discussion...)

Anyway, I assume we can at least agree that Belfry losing their host spot to Shelby Valley is ridiculous. The event should always be held at the two traditional powers, until one of the other schools gets their program to a similar level of competitiveness.
Holy Cross is a perrenial winner of their district and contends for their region title every year in 1A. Just to clear that up. And yes we are totally agreed that its a travesty that Belfry loses their home date to a school that has never even won a district title in football.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Holy Cross is a perrenial winner of their district and contends for their region title every year in 1A. Just to clear that up. And yes we are totally agreed that its a travesty that Belfry loses their home date to a school that has never even won a district title in football.

Holy Cross's district is about as weak as Pikevilles.
NEXT Wrote:The Pike Bowl Committee headed by Pike Co. BOE member Virgil Osborne(from Shelby Valley) has decided that the Friday night game is now going to be played at Shelby Valley.

Good for Shelby Valley. They have a great field and plenty of parking.
More Cowbell Wrote:If this true, then it means that Belfry loses its spot as the Friday night host, since they are also scheduled to play their Pike County Bowl game on Friday night.

I may be a Shelby Valley fan, but in my opinion this isn't right. The two traditional football powers in this county are Pikeville and Belfry, and they should be the two schools to host each night of this event. Shelby Valley nor any other county school should be the host over one of these two schools.

Is there any official confirmation of this? I can only assume that the only rational explanation is that Belfry's field is unavailable that weekend, in which case Valley is the next best option. Otherwise, this makes no sense.

Belfy has an exceptional field...But why must everyone travel to Belfry to watch the Friday night of the Pike County Bowl? Shelby Valley has a field that is comparible. And it is easier for most teams to travel to.

Why not open up the Pike County Bowl and bring in outside competition for each of the Pike County Schools participating?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Holy Cross is a perrenial winner of their district and contends for their region title every year in 1A. Just to clear that up. And yes we are totally agreed that its a travesty that Belfry loses their home date to a school that has never even won a district title in football.

Have we confirmed that it was Belfry who lost their home field? From what iv read no...No we havent whos to say it wasnt Pikeville who lost their home field this year?
warriorpride Wrote:Have we confirmed that it was Belfry who lost their home field? From what iv read no...No we havent whos to say it wasnt Pikeville who lost their home field this year?

The PCB with no games in Pikeville would be the death of the bowl.
jetpilot Wrote:The PCB with no games in Pikeville would be the death of the bowl.

Why? When this bowl started, Pikevilles facility was the best around and a logical choice for the bowl. Pikevilles facility is the third best in Pike County now. Field, seating, parking are all better at Belfry and Shelby Valley.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Belfy has an exceptional field...But why must everyone travel to Belfry to watch the Friday night of the Pike County Bowl? Shelby Valley has a field that is comparible. And it is easier for most teams to travel to.

Why not open up the Pike County Bowl and bring in outside competition for each of the Pike County Schools participating?

Beacause attendance would be a couple hundred.
LifeSentence Wrote:Why? When this bowl started, Pikevilles facility was the best around and a logical choice for the bowl. Pikevilles facility is the third best in Pike County now. Field, seating, parking are all better at Belfry and Shelby Valley.

I wouldn't trade Pikeville's facility for either of those, and it's not in the sticks either. Corbin has a great fan base, and how many went to Belfry last year 100??? Oh yeah, and the company that puts on the bowl has its very pretty headquarters building right across the street...
jetpilot Wrote:I wouldn't trade Pikeville's facility for either of those, and it's not in the sticks either.
Oh yeah, and the company that puts on the bowl has its very pretty headquarters building right across the street...

The company that puts it on also has about 10 locations "out in the sticks" where some of these other schools exist. I'm not a SV fan, but to look at their football field and think that it is not better than Pikevilles is crazy. And Belfrys is better than both of those.
LifeSentence Wrote:The company that puts it on also has about 10 locations "out in the sticks" where some of these other schools exist. I'm not a SV fan, but to look at their football field and think that it is not better than Pikevilles is crazy. And Belfrys is better than both of those.

We can agree to disagree. The PCB has been played at Pikeville for all its 20-some years. Move it out of Pikeville and it isn't the PCB anymore. Again, about 100 Corbin fans made the trip to Belfry last year. Watch how many show up at Pikeville and see how much better the atmosphere is.
jetpilot Wrote:We can agree to disagree. The PCB has been played at Pikeville for all its 20-some years. Move it out of Pikeville and it isn't the PCB anymore. Again, about 100 Corbin fans made the trip to Belfry last year. Watch how many show up at Pikeville and see how much better the atmosphere is.
I dont believe that the trip to Belfry made that much of a difference in the crowd. I mean it is a extra 30 minutes. If a fan is going to drive from Corbin to Pikeville, then they would go on to Belfry. What hurt Corbins crowd was the rising cost of gas prices, the expected late start due to heat, and the fact that it was on live television.
As far as stadiums I think Belfry has the best combination with their parking being so close and having ample space.
Valley has more room than Pikeville, and probably better parking. But I am in no way shape or form saying it would be smart to move it from Pikeville, due to the fact of the bank being behind it. Although I do feel right thing to do would be rotate it with all of the schools with turf if they go down this road. But that is just my opinion.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Belfy has an exceptional field...But why must everyone travel to Belfry to watch the Friday night of the Pike County Bowl? Shelby Valley has a field that is comparible. And it is easier for most teams to travel to.

Chuck Taylor,
I am not going to use your post as a soapbox as I go on a long-winded rant here, but it is the best place for me to start.

:mad:

Why must everyone travel to Belfry instead of SV you ask? Well, first of all what percentage of the fans attending the game are Belfry fans? Probably 35-45% (definately the majority). Why would you reward a team who will porbably bring about 10% of the total gate with a home game over the school with by far the largest contingent?

Secondly, and most obviously, Belfry has been the pinnacle of football in Eastern Kentucky over the past decade, let alone Pike County. The Pirates have hosted standing room only crowds and have plenty of experience in this department, the same cannot be said for SV who has their biggest crowds usually when they play, well, Belfry!

Third, SV has hosted a night of the PCB before, as had Pike Central, those nights brought in out of area teams. Those nights also struggled to bring in quality crowds.

Finally, the county schools all get an equal split of the proceeds regardless of the crowds for any game at any location. It is unfathonable to compare the contribution Belfry makes compared to Shelby Valley to this game. not only directly, with the direct gate money and concessions from Belfry fans, but indirectly with the ammount of impartial fans wanting to watch Belfry play, and the numebr of fans from the Pirate's opponent who show up to see their team take on a top tier program.

I have absolutely no axe to grind against the other county schools' football programs in this matter. Shelby Valley, and Coach Saunders, are actively lookign to improve their program and that is something that has been missing for a long time in schools outside of Pikeville and Belfry. BUT, the greed of a select few looking to "hand dry" their background schools is utterly rediculous.

Holy Cross participates in a 1A district in Louisville, which includes Beth Haven, Bethlehem, and Kentucky Country Day. So I think it goes without saying that they don't have to be very good to win their district. And a regional contender? Well, they were blown out by 35 points in the regional championship game last year, is that what you consider a "contender"?. As a Pikeville fan, you know that they should be playing strong competition every year in the PCB, and Holy Cross simply does not measure up. Just to clear that up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Because Belfry is the strongest football program in the county, has the most passionate fans, and they deserve to host. I hope Shelby Valley one day will have a football program on that same level, but until they do, there is no way they should be hosting the PCB over Belfry.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Because Belfry is the strongest football program in the county, has the most passionate fans, and they deserve to host. I hope Shelby Valley one day will have a football program on that same level, but until they do, there is no way they should be hosting the PCB over Belfry.

Belfry should pull out..tell whoever there supposed to play to come on to Belfry and the heck with it......Valley politics has messed up another good thing....
I agree with almost everyone that there is no need to move the game away from Belfry. They have the best program in the county and the most passionate fan base (dang that hurts coming from a Pikeville fan Smile). I would think that Community Trust (and to a lessor extent WYMT) would have a say in this considering they give the most money.

I don't see the game every being moved out of Pikeville. As someone has mentioned before, the looming headquarters of the prime sponsor will keep that from ever happening. Other schools may have branches near their stadiums, but I don't believe that any are in sight of the field.

People have also mentioned Belfry and Pikeville pulling out of the bowl (allowing the other 4 to play out of town teams) and starting their own and returning it to the roots of the PCB. If this were to happen (which might not be that bad of a thing) I can see Community Trust bank pulling out and following them. I mean most of the top executives/board members are from Pikeville and big Panther fans. I can't see them seeing the benefit of staying in lesser bowl while the top teams in its home county pull out. Then again, this is only someone's suggestion which doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon, if ever.

Anyone else heard something like this? All the KHSAA says is that the games on both Friday and Saturday are held @ Pike County.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I agree that Belfry is the strongest football program in the county and has the most passionate fans. However that does not mean they should automatically host the games.

SV and Pike Central began hosting the Pike County Bowl well before Osborne was a board member. As a matter of fact Paul Dotson was calling most, if not all, of the shots about sports at that time.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:I agree that Belfry is the strongest football program in the county and has the most passionate fans. However that does not mean they should automatically host the games.

SV and Pike Central began hosting the Pike County Bowl well before Osborne was a board member. As a matter of fact Paul Dotson was calling most, if not all, of the shots about sports at that time.

And attendance was horrible on the night Pikeville and Belfry did not play, hence the move to splitting Belfry and Pikeville.
If I remember correctly, the PCB was set up to help support all of the schools in Pike County including Pikeville Independent. Regardless what site it is played at, the monetary gains are split between all schools in Pike County with football programs. This game is something that these young men look forward to playing in and we whom are adults on here should not bad mouth these programs and let these kids shine on this night. I am sure that none of these county schools would complain if the Pikeville and Belfry game was on the same night. Let's just let the kids play!!!
I think the move to split Pikeville and Belfry was to showcase CAM stadium. Let's look at it realistically, do you think Belfry would always want to come to Pikeville to play in the Pike County Bowl after CAM is built??
NEXT Wrote:And attendance was horrible on the night Pikeville and Belfry did not play, hence the move to splitting Belfry and Pikeville.
CAM Crowds:::::: OMG are crazy!!!!!.......I have helped to work concession during the PCB many times at CAM and I have to say that although I have done many, many concessions.... AFTER I leave the game from working this one I am busted!!!! NEVER in my entire time of attending games, working games, OR cleaning up after games have I seen a concession stand go through so much pizza, pop, water, popcorn, slushies, and HOT DOGS!!! It is non-stop- go wide open-never sit down from the time you enter the door. Granted it is probably busy at the other games as well but you have to imagine.... there are 12 to 15 workers with 3 windows open going at it non-stop for however many hours the games last. It is UNREAL!!! NOT to mention the concession that is set up on the visitor side of the field.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the move of the bowl? That is something that I'm sure many fans would like to find out. OH.... and as far as Community Trust not having a "location" close to CAM and other area schools........ UM.... They recently opened their new branch about 30 seconds from CAM....You can stand in the parking lot and look down at the newest branch of the bank. IMO that has nothing to do with moving the game but I would really like some insight on this if anyone knows for sure.....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
CoachB Wrote:If I remember correctly, the PCB was set up to help support all of the schools in Pike County including Pikeville Independent. Regardless what site it is played at, the monetary gains are split between all schools in Pike County with football programs. This game is something that these young men look forward to playing in and we whom are adults on here should not bad mouth these programs and let these kids shine on this night. I am sure that none of these county schools would complain if the Pikeville and Belfry game was on the same night. Let's just let the kids play!!!

The Pike Co bowl was set up so that the county could show the rest of the state its two best teams. Eventually, whining and crying began about other schools not participating in the bowl, even though none had done anything to deserve Pike Co. Bowl recognition.

Yet, like in other whining, crying, and moaning group in this country they eventually got their way and watered down the entire dowl.

None of the other schools play at a level that woul attract outside competition so they shouldn't host a bowl, period.