Poll: Shelby Valley vs Paintsville
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shelby Valley Wildcats
40.00%
Paintsville Tigers
60.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Tournament: Shelby Valley vs Paintsville
Get your tickets early.
This one may sell out.
I think both SV and Paintsville may have over looked their opponent last night, but settled down and got the W which is all that matters because now we get to see the game we've all been waiting for. I didn't get to catch any of the SV game, but I have heard that they let them play and didn't call a lot of fouls. During the Paintsville game down in the paint looked to be an old rerun of American Gladiators. They were beating and banging, throwing elbows, etc....hopefully things won't get out of hand with the officiating, but I just hope there are no ticky-tack fouls called and let these guys showcase what they can do and not have the outcome determined by someone who is riding on a high horse playing the role of Barney Fyffe.

Regardless, I feel that Paintsville has the players to break the SV press which is what leads to a lot of Wildcat points. It's going to be a good game but I don't think BMR will allow these seniors to settle for anything other than punching their tickets to Rupp. Tigers by 8 (game is closer, but SV has to foul towards the end of the game....just my opinion).
[COLOR="Blue"]I think..the boys are ready.....Any team can have an off night..But these boys have heart and a desire I believe! Also its Coach Runyon's last year and I wanna see him go out with a BANG!!!

BTW ..did anyone see Jeremy PAck come off the bench and deliver like he did!! Wow in my opinion that is what changed the game around!! Go PACK

Goodluck to the Paintsville Ball team ...and to one of the State's best basketball coaches!![/COLOR]
If the Tigers play the way they played the rest of the year.... Tigers by 10
If they play like they did versus Uniersity Heights...... I cant even say it
I have to take paintsville in this one.
OffTheHook Wrote:To tell the truth if Valley plays like they did against P-BURG!!!!!, in the first half, then Valley may be in trouble. SV didn't impress me much in the first half. Look dude ...that is just the way it goes. Paintsville got that BIG monkey off their back tonight. They got the win and the bad game out of the way. So All i gotta say is Valley better be ready. Cause Paintsville has nothing to loose. They haven't been there and nobody from your way expects them to. So they are good to go right now. Look for a different team come Monday night. I know I will. They are ready!!!! Go Tigers!!!

Maybe no one from the Shelby Valley area expects Paintsville to win, but most everyone else does. Consider:

WYMT = Paintsville currently ranked #1 in mountains, SV is #3

Herald-Leader = Cantrall ratings have Paintsville as a slight favorite, plus their high school columnist Mike Fields predicted Paintsville to take the 15th this past Sunday

BGR = Paintsville currently getting about 60% of the vote on this poll

So, I think that Valley is coming into the game as a slight underdog in the minds of the public. Which is probably fairly accurate, I would have to give the edge to Paintsville myself. But not by much.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Whoever hits the most 3s is gonna win, not sure if Valley can extend their defense that well for 32 minutes, also not sure if the Tigers can hold off the Valley press for 32 minutes. If Valley is knocking down shots to set up the press, could be a long night for the Tigers, if Valley is cold, look for Paintsville to put them away. Freethrows and turnovers will be crucial in a game that is decided by every play, look for a great atmosphere at the Expo Center on the game the entire 15th region had been waiting for all year. Too bad I am going to be stuck in Georgetown in a snow storm. Hopefully I can make it down to the 11th region tournament in Richmond tomorrow and can report back. Got two great games there tomorrow, #1 Lex Cath vs. #4 Scott Co and #2 Bryan Station vs #10 Paul Dunbar.
The Guru Wrote:I was just noticing that the upper bracket, ERHS/JCHS have a combined record of 30-30. The lower bracket, PHS/SVHS have a combined record of 51-7

Both games should be great in their own rights.

Both games will also be very different in style.

The key to this game will be Valley's defense. If their defense can slow the Tiger shooting attack they can win this game. I think Hatfield will have an MVP type game, and Valley pulls it out, 78-77.
This is what everyone has wanted to see for the past 2 years now, had a chance earlier this year at the ALL A, but the stage is a little bigger, a little brighter this time around. I do agree with Fox Sports that we need to get our tickets early, really early because this game has the chance to sell out and possibly be the biggest crowd for a basketball game at the Expo Center, counting the Miners to. I really hope that the game lives up to the hype that it is already surrounded with, and the closer the game gets the hype will be insane. Two great teams with a load of talent on both sides, a lot of youth on Valleys side, only having 2 or 3 seniors not for sure how many, and a lot of experience and leadership on Paintsville's side with the 7 seniors who just got their first regional tournament win and will be hungry for more.

This will be a very physical match-up in every aspect of the game. A few important factors of this game will be who crashes the boards and who controls the tempo more, also who defends the perimeter and the paint as well. But the most important thing is who will want it more! Who is willing to make the little plays, do the little things that needs to be done to get to the regional championship game. Like someone said it is all or nothing for Paintsville, win or go home and they will be definitely ready to win and not go home thats for sure. Atmosphere will be unreal at the Expo and I can't wait.

Now for the prediction. I think it will be down to the last few possessions, with Paintsville coming out on top and advancing to the regional final with a 3 point win. The best of luck to both teams in what could be the game of the year.
Should be a great game! As I've said before, either team can win it. I'll have to give the edge to the Tigers IF both teams play their best. But I wasn't impressed at all with Paintsville or SV's first half last night. That can effect the outcome if either one comes out hot and the other tight. Let's hope we get to see the best both have to offer.
Valley by 7. Too much depth.
Gotta go with the boys from Valley!!!

Good Luck Wildcats!!!
I picked Valley earlier in this thread, cause I was at the Paintsville game, and they didn't really impress that much against Belfry. IMO, I really think that Paintsville is overrated.
kysportsguru Wrote:I picked Valley earlier in this thread, cause I was at the Paintsville game, and they didn't really impress that much against Belfry. IMO, I really think that Paintsville is overrated.
Maybe Valley didn't look as good when Pikeville beat them as they did last night. Any team can have an off-night or a slow start. I think it will be a close game, Paintsville will have to play very good but they can wins this one. It can go either way.
Tigers by 8.
transplanttiger Wrote:If the Tigers play the way they played the rest of the year.... Tigers by 10
If they play like they did versus Uniersity Heights...... I cant even say it

What if they play like they did against UHA. The tigers played pretty good IMO. They just came up a little short....

I read someone saying the Tigers being overrated. Now how do you say that. Hmm maybe Valley is overrated. Come monday we will see who the best team is and i bet money tigers win 10. Even with there slow start last night against Belfry they still won. They got that monkey off the back. Now i beleive the Tigers will come out focused, and ready to make some noise. That place is going to be ROCKING :rockon: and its going to be awesome. Look for the pep sections to play a role in the game to.

LET'S GO TIGERS!!!!!
brown14 Wrote:What if they play like they did against UHA. The tigers played pretty good IMO. They just came up a little short....

I read someone saying the Tigers being overrated. Now how do you say that. Hmm maybe Valley is overrated. Come monday we will see who the best team is and i bet money tigers win 10. Even with there slow start last night against Belfry they still won. They got that monkey off the back. Now i beleive the Tigers will come out focused, and ready to make some noise. That place is going to be ROCKING :rockon: and its going to be awesome. Look for the pep sections to play a role in the game to.

LET'S GO TIGERS!!!!!
Whoever wins or loses, this is guarateed to be the best game this region has saw all year.
...im not sure who to go for...i do know that paintsville and valley didn't really play that well in the first half last night even though they both came out with a W....it doesn't really matter who wins it for me...i know its gonna be a good game and that whoever wins has a good shot at winning the region and representin the 15th well at state...good luck to both...
PC_You_Know Wrote:As much as I heard about Paintsville coming into the Belfry game I expected more from them. They let May dominate inside, and the refs let Slone get away with a lot of cheap fouls, we were up top and many people around the rafters were yelling out "come on" "yeah he's going D-1, don't mean he gets special treatment". I think the refs should let them play Monday but they need to officiate the game well. The refs for the Valley/P-burg game will NOT cut it come Monday night, both sides were yelling at the refs all night, looked like these refs were amateurs(probably aren't) but they need to call better games.

Paintsville vs. Valley is what everyone has been waiting to see. This game is not going to shut people up because both sides will have an excuse to why they lose and that is okay. This game is going to be the best game the 15th has seen in a long time and will stay at the top for a long time.

Keys for Valley

1. Elisha controls the floor, takes great shots and draws the fouls.
2. Logan plays great D, pushes the tempo on breaks.
3. Jake makes his great passes and gets physical with Vanhoose and Grimm.
4. Jonah makes his shots and rebound well.
5. Ashley makes his jumpers and plays physical inside.

Both teams can win this game, and either will be fine and dandy to represent the 15th. My prediction is for Valley to take this by 4. They have been to state with this team and know what it takes to get there. They have PLENTY of experience and will leave it all on the floor Monday. This game can go either way, and whoever wins will not win by more than 10.

Good luck to both teams, I cannot, along with everyone else, wait to see this game. Go cats!

Dustin May is a manchild down low. Name one player in this region that has stopped him ONE ON ONE.

As for Landon gettin away with alot of "cheap fouls", get real Rolleyes . The refs weren't callin anything on anybody lastnight so don't be singlin Landon out.
kysportsguru Wrote:I picked Valley earlier in this thread, cause I was at the Paintsville game, and they didn't really impress that much against Belfry. IMO, I really think that Paintsville is overrated.

:confused:

Dude, Paintsville is not overrated, not by a long shot.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Im gonna go with SV.
Redneck Wrote:Dustin May is a manchild down low. Name one player in this region that has stopped him ONE ON ONE.

As for Landon gettin away with alot of "cheap fouls", get real Rolleyes . The refs weren't callin anything on anybody lastnight so don't be singlin Landon out.
That's for sure! May didn't even have a foul called on him until late in the 4th! He was banging with them all game? I know he had to commit a few somewhere in the first 3 quarters! But they didn't call many on the Tigers either! As long as it is consistent is all I care about and last night it was!
EKY Sportster Wrote:That's for sure! May didn't even have a foul called on him until late in the 4th! He was banging with them all game? I know he had to commit a few somewhere in the first 3 quarters! But they didn't call many on the Tigers either! As long as it is consistent is all I care about and last night it was!
It was consistent, they let them play ball, and I liked it that way.
TheRealVille Wrote:It was consistent, they let them play ball, and I liked it that way.

yes, I agree.. makes for a great ballgame to watch !!
Im predicting a double-digit win for VALLEY!
EOE Wrote:Im predicting a double-digit win for VALLEY!
Noway Paintsville by 8.
i think valley will win by playin good defense...something that rly hurts paintsville
Go Tigers

Paintsville 69

Shelby Valley 59
I think this will go down to rebounding and the play of LS
Was you even there versus UHA I dont know what they said on the radio but the Tigers were flat in that game.... hey I love the big Blue if were flat we lose its that simple. Bill Mike Runyon is a great coach.... but a magician he's not... if were flat were beat.