Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville @ Shelby Valley - Jan. 18
Pikeville by 1 on a last second 3 by Baker.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Valley by double digits.:rockon:
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:So with everyone picking Shelby Valley to win, do you think that is going to make Shelby Valley over-confident and not play as hard?

Valley takes it right to other teams at home. It would be VERY tough for Pikeville to come in to the Valley and leave with a win.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Kirby Tackett will step right in just like he has all year and we've done just fine. You all lost to us 4 times last year, I just want to know what makes you think you guys are capable of coming into Valley and winning.

PC_You_Know Wrote:Valley takes it right to other teams at home. It would be VERY tough for Pikeville to come in to the Valley and leave with a win.
Well, you went from Pikeville not being capable of winning at Valley to it going to be VERY tough for them to win. Think you will change your mind and lean to Pikeville by Friday?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
So you're saying I went from them not being capable of winning, to it being VERY tough for them, isn't that the same thing? Were you just wanting a post pad cause you just made no sense.
valley by 12
PC_You_Know Wrote:So you're saying I went from them not being capable of winning, to it being VERY tough for them, isn't that the same thing? Were you just wanting a post pad cause you just made no sense.
There is a big difference in not being capable of doing something as compared to something being VERY tough. Very tough can be done, not being capable cant.
I'll take pikeville by 2 in ot. What i here valley hasnt been playing to there top. I look for pikevilel to take advantage of that and win this one. Good luck to both teams
See, if you all were truly picking who you think would win I would have no problem, but until I mentioned no one had picked Pikeville, two people picked them, ironic huh?
Shelby Valley plays a close game and everyone has give up on them, they will come out and prove they are still tough,
PC_You_Know Wrote:Man I hate to inform you, but Pikeville doesn't have the most lights out shooters ever, but Valley does have one of the biggest defensive presences in EKY, Elisha Justice roaming around the perimeter.

you are right pikeville has struggled from the outside and show no chance of any improvement in the near future.
SpyDa Wrote:you are right pikeville has struggled from the outside and show no chance of any improvement in the near future.
In Pikevilles last game, they scored 40 points in the second half. Even if they outside shot isnt falling, Pikeville is good on the drive and off the dribble. That could lead Valley to foul trouble. One thing about it, Valley fans are sure saying that Pikeville dont have a chance.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:In Pikevilles last game, they scored 40 points in the second half. Even if they outside shot isnt falling, Pikeville is good on the drive and off the dribble. That could lead Valley to foul trouble. One thing about it, Valley fans are sure saying that Pikeville dont have a chance.

Even you aren't confident they'll put Valley in foul trouble.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Even you aren't confident they'll put Valley in foul trouble.
Kinda hard to be confident on anything when they havnt played this year. Even if they have, games change from one game to the next.
Besides, this game really isnt that important to Pikeville. Shelby Valley has a lot more to lose than Pikeville does. The next 3 and maybe 4 games are the importaint ones.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Pikeville by 1 on a last second 3 by Baker.
That would be amazing and I probably would sprout wings but let's hope it's not that close in the end lol.
IMO this game actually helps Pikeville no matter how it comes out. The reason being they will more than likely have to play SV again next week in the All A semi's. I believe the more these two teams play the more it helps Pikeville. It's hard to beat a team 3 or 4 times in a row. It's also hard to beat a team twice within 7 or 8 days. Just my opinion!
Shelby Valley wins:

* They are supposed to.
* Same talk about who is better, Shelby Valley or Paintsville.
* Pikeville has a week to get ready for the All A.
* Pikeville still has a chance at the #1 seed in the district.

Pikeville wins:
* Paintsville is the best team in the region.
* Shelby Valley will drop out of the mountain top 10.
* Shelby Valley wont be one of the favorites for the All A.
* Shelby Valley drops a lot of spots in state rankings.
* Shelby Valley has to start over at 1 win in a row at home.
* Pikeville will be in the drivers seat for the number 1 seed.
* Shelby Valley will have lost to a 15th region team for the first time in 2 years.
* The Shelby Valley mystic will be gone.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Shelby Valley wins:

* They are supposed to.

Pikeville wins:
* Shelby Valley will have lost to a 15th region team for the first time in 2 years.

Second one down under Shelby Valley wins should say Not the same talk about who is better. It looks to me like Pikeville has everything to gain and nothing to lose while Shelby Valley has everything to lose and nothing to gain.
Valley always has everything to lose when they play Pikeville.
Shelby Valley should win by 25-30.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Shelby Valley wins:

* They are supposed to.

Pikeville wins:

So Valley will drop out of the Mountain Top 10 if they lose? That's a bit much! Aren't they ranked 2nd?

I really think you are kidding yourself by saying that this game isn't all that important to Pikeville. I will guarantee that in the minds of both teams, this game is extremely important.

I'm going to go ahead and make a prediction that Valley will win, but in a close game based on how they have been playing lately. I think Pikeville has a really good chance of winning . . . and I do think it will be extremely important if they do.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:So Valley will drop out of the Mountain Top 10 if they lose? That's a bit much! Aren't they ranked 2nd?

I really think you are kidding yourself by saying that this game isn't all that important to Pikeville. I will guarantee that in the minds of both teams, this game is extremely important.

I'm going to go ahead and make a prediction that Valley will win, but in a close game based on how they have been playing lately. I think Pikeville has a really good chance of winning . . . and I do think it will be extremely important if they do.
With this being a district game, here is how important it is. If Shelby Valley was to win this game by 50 points. Both Valley and Pikeville beat East Ridge at their next meeting, then Pikeville beats Valley by 1 at Pikeville, Pikeville is the number 1 seed in the 59th. If Pikeville wins this game at Valley, then they would be in the drivers seat. for sure. It is more important as a pre-All a matchup than a district game.
I'm not talking about it being important from a district perspective as much as I am talking about their mindset. You don't think Pikeville winning at Valley or even taking it to the wire will give them confidence? As a coach, you always want your team to show that they belong in games with any team, especially district rivals because it may pay off down the road.
I will go with Valley by 15. I really think that it is the mindset that Valley has had in the past two games that has lead to their sub-par showings. I believe that they have played down to the competition. However, they should know from last year that you can not just sleepwalk past Pikeville. They should be ready for the game like they were against Male and DeSales.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:With this being a district game, here is how important it is. If Shelby Valley was to win this game by 50 points. Both Valley and Pikeville beat East Ridge at their next meeting, then Pikeville beats Valley by 1 at Pikeville, Pikeville is the number 1 seed in the 59th. If Pikeville wins this game at Valley, then they would be in the drivers seat. for sure. It is more important as a pre-All a matchup than a district game.
Just wandering but how does this work out?
To be completely honest the last three games is the worst that I have seen a Shelby Valley team look in an awfully long time. The only bright spot to that is that we are still pulling out wins. I expect one of two things too happen in this game...
1. The lack luster play continues and Valley pulls out a 2 or 3 point win due to the mental edge over Pikeville and the fact that they are playing at home.
2. SV wins by 20 plus and shows everyone why they are the defending regional champs and highly regarded across eastern Kentucky.

Another thing that everyone needs to consider is that teams have bad stretches and bad games throughout a long season. The June Buchanon team that beat Pikeville by 46 only beat a Letcher Central team (that was beaten by East Ridge and defeated Pike Central by 1) by 7 at June Buchanan. No one is writing off JBS due to that game are they?
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I'm not talking about it being important from a district perspective as much as I am talking about their mindset. You don't think Pikeville winning at Valley or even taking it to the wire will give them confidence? As a coach, you always want your team to show that they belong in games with any team, especially district rivals because it may pay off down the road.
As far as the players goes, it is a important game because I know they want to win every night out. But in all actually, it really isnt important except for bragging rights.

Panther Thunder Wrote:Just wandering but how does this work out?

If the district is a two way tie as far as win-lose records, the tie breaker will be who wins the second head to head matchup. This year, the second game between Pikeville and Valley is held at Pikeville.
Pikeville - 68
Shelby Valley - 74
Nomercy Wrote:Shelby Valley should win by 25-30.
If Sv wins by 30 or so will the fans over there give them a hard time for beating Pikeville so bad like they did when JBS won by 46. I am just curious at how intense this rivalry is? Does these two schools dislike each other?