Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Preseason Mountain Top 10
I agree, Bryant won't get any time on offense this coming season. They also have another big running back that's incoming freshman. Last name is Daniels. They should be tough together in a few years. Anyone heard anything about McCourt? Is he healthy now?
(07-03-2024, 11:01 AM)Rambo4 Wrote: Bryant is an incoming freshman thats a solid RB.  Transferred from Hazard to JC.
Was told Bryant not playing football as a freshman. Will concentrate on wrestling.
According to Facebook , Bryant seems to be more focused on wrestling alot this summer but says he is still playing football
1 Pikeville
2 Corbin
3 Johnson central
4 belfry
5 southwestern
6 Perry

The rest can battle for the last 4.
(07-03-2024, 02:02 PM)Rambo4 Wrote: According to Facebook , Bryant seems to be more focused on wrestling alot this summer but says he is still playing football
I don’t think they do much with football at JC till after dead period. Pikeville seems to be hitting it hard though.
I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by Lawrence County. They will battle Belfry for the district championship. With the game being in Louisa this year, it could bode well for the Bulldogs. They are a talented team and have a lot of athletes on both sides of the ball.
(07-02-2024, 09:26 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: My mountain Top 10 (13-15 regions):

1. Pikeville
2. Corbin
3. Johnson Central
4. Belfry
5. Bell County
6. Lawrence County
7. North Laurel
8. Whitley County
9. Perry Co. Central
10. Letcher Co. Central

Next 5 in no order: Breathitt County, Martin County, Knox Central, Shelby Valley, Betsy Layne

Doesn't the real Mountain Top 10 include the teams in Pulaski County?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Walt Longmire's post:
  • TheRampageRooster
Is there a reason many are picking JC over Belfry? Belfry dog walked Central last year. They’ll settle it on the field again and JC can definitely win that game but I’m not understanding ranking them higher preseason. I know JC had some injuries but so did the Pirates.
(07-05-2024, 09:28 PM)Belichick Wrote: Is there a reason many are picking JC over Belfry? Belfry dog walked Central last year. They’ll settle it on the field again and JC can definitely win that game but I’m not understanding ranking them higher preseason.  I know JC had some injuries but so did the Pirates.
Agree with you completely, it’s sad the precedent both teams set in the 2010’s that 7-3 regular seasons and not winning state championships are considered “down years”. A lot of people on this site have an idea, but from the outside don’t really understand how difficult it is to maintain that state championship standard year in and year out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Walter White's post:
  • Belichick
(07-05-2024, 09:23 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote:

1. Pikeville
2. Corbin
3. Johnson Central
4. Belfry
5. Bell County
6. Lawrence County
7. North Laurel
8. Whitley County
9. Perry Co. Central
10. Letcher Co. Central

Next 5 in no order: Breathitt County, Martin County, Knox Central, Shelby Valley, Betsy Layne

I'm just basing my Mountain Top 10 on schools from 13-15th regions.

(07-05-2024, 09:28 PM)Belichick Wrote: Is there a reason many are picking JC over Belfry? Belfry dog walked Central last year. They’ll settle it on the field again and JC can definitely win that game but I’m not understanding ranking them higher preseason.  I know JC had some injuries but so did the Pirates.
Belfry did win that game, but they also graduate Woolum and Young. Two of their best offensive weapons last season and JC returns guys that were injured and didn't play in that Belfry matchup. I think the two teams are near equal going into the season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • RunItUpTheGut
(07-06-2024, 08:15 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(07-05-2024, 09:23 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote:

1. Pikeville
2. Corbin
3. Johnson Central
4. Belfry
5. Bell County
6. Lawrence County
7. North Laurel
8. Whitley County
9. Perry Co. Central
10. Letcher Co. Central

I'm just basing my Mountain Top 10 on schools from 13-15th regions.

Belfry did win that game, but they also graduate Woolum and Young. Two of their best offensive weapons last season and JC returns guys that were injured and didn't play in that Belfry matchup. I think the two teams are near equal going into the season.
Jc graduated their best running back in Conley, their best defensive lineman in Music, and their best offensive lineman in Lewandoski. They also graduated their leading tackler in Castle and their starting quarterback in Grimm. They return the running back music. The other two in the back field have one acl left between both of them.  This Junior class for Belfry is a solid group. Caudill will have a big season. I think this Belfry team is underrated.
[-] The following 2 users Like Upnorth's post:
  • Belichick, BlackcatAlum
I think people are underestimating the Pirates. They lost a couple of weapons to graduation but had a couple of kids out hurt last year also and their younger players are growing up. I like Belfry this year and think they’ll be a handful for anyone in the mountains. I think they beat JC. I love that matchup for them. Pikeville should beat them but Belfry will be up for that game. All 3 of those teams play each other and Pikeville gets a crack at Corbin in the opener so these rankings don’t matter but I found it interesting so many ranked JC ahead of Belfry.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belichick's post:
  • The 99
I think it’s pretty hard to judge how JC will be this year. Their top 3 running backs either had season ending injuries or were banged up most of the season. Their full back had a season ending injury. The TE they are very high on tore his ACL. I don’t think they had their full lineup for any game last season.

With that said who knows how well these kids have recovered from their injuries. McCoart was a monster but an ACL tear is a tough injury to come back from as a high schooler.
New accounts please check your private message. Thanks Bull.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • North laurel Fan
I just saw where crisp is leaving breathitt so does that make hollon their qb this year?
(07-10-2024, 09:39 AM)Bigbluewarehouse Wrote: I just saw where crisp is leaving breathitt so does that make hollon their qb this year?
Looks that way. I think Hollon was going start if crisp did stay or not. But that just what I heard.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Statebound19's post:
  • Bigbluewarehouse
Where did Crisp go?
(07-10-2024, 11:27 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Where did Crisp go?
Lesile Co . Where he is originally from
[-] The following 1 user Likes Statebound19's post:
  • jetpilot
(07-01-2024, 07:24 PM)Upnorth Wrote:
(07-01-2024, 02:59 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(06-28-2024, 09:06 PM)Upnorth Wrote: Belfry and Pikeville both beat JC last year. I would have to put them above them till they prove otherwise. Pikeville returns a lot. JC lost just as much as Belfry.

Go ahead and stick a fork in the birds before the season even starts.
Did something happen?  Supposed to have a really good running back return this year for JC.

Mediocrity happened Smile
(07-02-2024, 05:27 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(07-01-2024, 07:24 PM)Upnorth Wrote:
(07-01-2024, 02:59 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(06-28-2024, 09:06 PM)Upnorth Wrote: Belfry and Pikeville both beat JC last year. I would have to put them above them till they prove otherwise. Pikeville returns a lot. JC lost just as much as Belfry.

Go ahead and stick a fork in the birds before the season even starts.
Did something happen?  Supposed to have a really good running back return this year for JC.

JC has a stable of backs and if McCoart is healthy JC will beat Corbin at home write it down.
Corbin will beat them like a rented mule.
My 60 years of experience and enjoyment of wating mountain foot leads me to believe there is a 90% probability the Mountain Crown will be one of the following three teams.

1) Corbin

2) Belfyey

3) Bell

1) Great coaches at all three schools

HE FACT is coaches are the most part of any program.

Where ever they go they win.

A good discussion topic for the future.

2) These schools have excellent feeder programs and feeder coaches that start making players in 1st grade.

Scheduled practices that consist of staktions each designed teach technique. Each drill runs 10 minutes.

This type of teaching brings in the 1st and 2nd grade leagues.

No one is standing and watching , every player is always in a drill or moving to a new station.

3) Stability and Cohesiveness

These schools keep their best players on the team not walking the hallways. If a player quits hat visit the players. Chat with mom and dad, the player returns to the team.

So many coaches especially assistants work on it is a an honor to be on the team if the player walks away , let him go , his loss.

That is stupid as hell and childish on the coaches part.

The team, the player and the coach benefit with the kid on the team.

Make a big deal out of the freshman and JV squads. Make sure they each have at least a ten game schedule.

Do not play varsity starters in JV games. The purpose of JV games is provide playing time for those don't play varsity

Discipline is important. Most important are good grades being at practice on time and exerting 100% effort in practice.

The old school tactics don't work.

What does work is ensuring every kid in the school is

4),Conditioning like the pros.

5), Legal or illegal, does it matter.
Hold backs make much better players.

6) It is no accident that Bell and Belfry are on the state line. Their feeder programs play a lot of out of state games where good players are identified early and recruited into the program. Just a fact.

Corbin isnalso well known as a poaching team.

Personally, I think kids should play where they want to play but being able to select an excellent player when you need one is an advantage and any smart coach will do so.

5)Tradition and Fan base

The big 3 and why they ate
(07-15-2024, 03:08 AM)92 East Holler Boy Wrote: My 60 years of experience and enjoyment of wating mountain foot leads me to believe there is a 90% probability the Mountain  Crown will be one of the following three teams.

1) Corbin

2) Belfyey

3) Bell

1) Great coaches at all three schools

HE FACT is coaches are the most part of any program.

Where ever they go they  win.

A  good discussion topic for the future.

2) These  schools have excellent feeder programs  and feeder coaches that start making players in 1st grade.

Scheduled practices that consist of staktions each designed teach technique. Each drill runs 10 minutes.

This type of teaching brings in the 1st and 2nd grade leagues.

No one is standing and watching , every player is always in a drill or moving to a new station.

3) Stability and Cohesiveness

These schools keep their  best players on the team not walking the hallways. If a player quits hat visit the players.  Chat with mom and dad, the player returns to the team.

So many coaches especially assistants work on it is a an honor to be on the team if the player walks away , let him go , his loss.

That is stupid as hell and childish on the coaches part.

The team, the player and the coach benefit with the kid on the team.

Make a big deal out of the freshman and JV squads. Make sure they each  have at least a ten game schedule.

Do not play varsity starters in JV games. The purpose of JV games is provide playing time for those don't play varsity

Discipline is important. Most important are  good grades being at practice on time and exerting 100% effort in practice. 

The old school tactics don't work.

What does work is ensuring every kid in the school is

4),Conditioning like the pros.

5), Legal or illegal, does it matter.
Hold backs make much better players.

6) It is no accident that Bell and Belfry are on the state line. Their feeder programs play a lot of out of state games where good players are identified early and recruited into the program. Just a fact.

Corbin isnalso well known as a poaching team.

Personally, I think kids should play where they want to play but being able to select an excellent player when you need one is an advantage and any smart coach will do so.

5)Tradition and  Fan base

The big 3 and why they ate

None of those three will win state but the one team you didn’t name, Pikeville, likely will.
Looks like somebody’s never heard of Pikeville lol
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Colonel4Life1999, PHSForever
I spoke with a sports reporter originally from out of state that moved here to do sports coverage several years ago and and has now moved to another market. I asked her what mountain programs she liked and she said covering games for Pikeville and Corbin were two of her favorites. she said the fanbases were very similar and she said the players were very respectful and she could tell they had strong team standards. I'm excited to watch these two teams play each other this year.
1. Pikeville
2. Corbin
3. JC
4. Bell Co
5. Belfry
6. Southwestern
7. Lawrence
8. perry
9. North Laurel
10. Whitley
1. Pikeville
2. Corbin
3. Belfry
4. Johnson Central
5. Southwestern
6. Rock
7. Bell
8.Whitley County
9. North Laurel
10. Lawrence County
Should be an interesting year in the mountains. Opening night should be a dandy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Red Dog 80's post:
  • Big Boomer
Got to consider Leslie county top 10 in the mountains now that Kilburn decided to go there. It hurts Perry, we won’t be near the top 10 now but Leslie is gonna be really good! Good luck to both teams, Go Dores!
(08-08-2024, 04:26 PM)Jet fighter Wrote: Got to consider Leslie county top 10 in the mountains now that Kilburn decided to go there.  It hurts Perry, we won’t be near the top 10 now but Leslie is gonna be really good!  Good luck to both teams, Go Dores!
Leslie is the third best team in their four team district! Maybe a top 15-18 team, but in no way are they top ten. I think Perry would run all over Leslie!
(08-08-2024, 04:26 PM)Jet fighter Wrote: Got to consider Leslie county top 10 in the mountains now that Kilburn decided to go there.  It hurts Perry, we won’t be near the top 10 now but Leslie is gonna be really good!  Good luck to both teams, Go Dores!
Here we go again.  Dodgy