Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pikeville
78.72%
Corbin
21.28%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pikeville @ Corbin 8/19/22 (Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic)
Pikeville-27
Corbin-20
(08-15-2022, 02:16 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Roster size:

Pikeville 61
Johnson Central 57
Belfry 53
More coming out every year, plus a pretty big Freshman class of 19 if I’m not mistaken.?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • jetpilot
(08-14-2022, 05:36 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 03:47 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Hoot GibsonCorbin's coaching staff has to be feeling some heat coming into this season, so I don't expect to see a lot of coaching blunders from them after having months to prepare for this game. I also do not expect Pikeville to dominate the LOS after a long bus ride. I like Corbin's chances of winning their home opener.

Hoot you know I love you and you are definitely old school but I promise you of all the things that will factor into who wins the game the bus ride will not be one of them. I would expect Pikeville to leave early in the afternoon, stop somewhere along the way, and arrive plenty early. And if I’m wrong and they can’t handle a 2 1/2 hour bus ride broken down into 2 short drives, then they don’t deserve to win. But I’m not wrong lol. Bus ride = no factor.

The bus ride back home is the dreaded one. I look for this game to be hard fought, and could go either way, but if Pikeville blows Corbin out like some of you say, Corbin should fire their coach immediately.

I like the way you think..  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • pjdoug, Playcaller66
(08-15-2022, 02:14 AM)jetpilot Wrote: On a lighter note, Bull says "Kid Elam" is going to be a star and I believe him 100%.

I have said Blake Caudill is going to be a star and I also believe that 100%. He is going to be a huge problem for defenses this year.

Check out his highlights from the SV scrimmage on D&D Sports twitter feed if you are so inclined.
This kid got my attention last season as a Freshman when he got some touches. Can’t believe how he’s grown in body mass since then. Beautiful run against Valley!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • jetpilot
I cant wait to see it in person. I know if the game is tied and it comes down to a field goal, Big Foot hit a 51 yarder against Christ School in last years Pigskin Classic...........

(08-15-2022, 10:17 AM)FallRock Wrote: Being at Corbin is the only advantage corbin has in this one.. too slow on defense to stop pikeville and their multiple explosive offensive weapons. Pikeville 28 Corbin 6

Only thing slow about Corbins defense is the decision making......... Woah  Corbin has the talent..... Probably 4 kids maybe more that have D1 offers on this years team.

(08-15-2022, 01:57 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: I cant wait to see it in person. I know if the game is tied and it comes down to a field goal, Big Foot hit a 51 yarder against Christ School in last years Pigskin Classic...........

(08-15-2022, 10:17 AM)FallRock Wrote: Being at Corbin is the only advantage corbin has in this one.. too slow on defense to stop pikeville and their multiple explosive offensive weapons. Pikeville 28 Corbin 6

Only thing slow about Corbins defense is the decision making......... Woah  Corbin has the talent..... Probably 4 kids maybe more that have D1 offers on this years team.
Meaning Coaches decision making.
Is anyone streaming the game?
(08-15-2022, 06:54 PM)kywvfan Wrote: Is anyone streaming the game?

T107 Voice of the Redhounds (t1073.com) Check with them..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • kywvfan
I am a Pikeville fan, anyone thinking the Panthers isn’t the underdog in this game is not thinking correctly. 1 Corbin is home and Corbin has a lot of talent. Yes I want Pikeville to win but they are going to have to play a great game to leave Corbin with a victory. Yes they can win but it will take one heck of an effort to do it and this isn’t no scrimmage so the play from everyone has to step up a few notches. No plays off and full effort on every play and do your job. Hope for an good game an injury free game for both teams. But as always GO PANTHERS!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Patriot1's post:
  • Bull got out!, mr yellow jacket
i wish this 1 was on sat bc id be there ive gotta be in hazard on fri night bc my yellow jackets are playing go hounds but pikeville wins
I agree, this should be on a Saturday night!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Humpty Dumpty
(08-15-2022, 10:21 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: I agree, this should be on a Saturday night!
Heck no I don’t know if I could wait one more night for some real football action. Then again I might have wished we waited but as always GO PANTHERS!!!
As always games are won on the LOS, if Corbin’s line can match the physicality they played with the first part of last season then I believe the Hounds will pull it out at the end. If they play like we did after the Pulaski game forward then Pikeville fans are gonna get their wish…
Good luck Pikeville. If nothing else, a Corbin loss will provide weeks of entertainment on here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • Patriot1
(08-16-2022, 09:49 AM)2000PHS Wrote: Good luck Pikeville. If nothing else, a Corbin loss will provide weeks of entertainment on here.
Smile
31-28
Corbin
Pikeville will hit big plays with both guys at QB.

Pikeville 35-21
Is Boykins a Junior or Senior?

I knew he was a great athlete but I didn't realize he was so electric with the ball in his hands. Boykins and Birchfield in the same backfield almost isn't fair for 1A football lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(08-16-2022, 07:44 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: Is Boykins a Junior or Senior?

I knew he was a great athlete but I didn't realize he was so electric with the ball in his hands.  Boykins and Birchfield in the same backfield almost isn't fair for 1A football lol.
I think he’s listed as a Jr on the roster. Imagine adding Blake Caudill and Carson Wright who both are a threat in their own right. I wouldn’t want to be a db trying to tackle Caudill coming at me full speed!
(08-16-2022, 08:29 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 07:44 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: Is Boykins a Junior or Senior?

I knew he was a great athlete but I didn't realize he was so electric with the ball in his hands.  Boykins and Birchfield in the same backfield almost isn't fair for 1A football lol.
I think he’s listed as a Jr on the roster. Imagine adding Blake Caudill and Carson Wright who both are a threat in their own right. I wouldn’t want to be a db trying to tackle Caudill coming at me full speed!

Nice, I was hoping he was a Junior.

They may lose more games this season because their schedule is so tough but every other Class A team has to avoid playing at Pikeville in the playoffs or it's gonna be a long bus ride home.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Big Five-0-
How would you know were to slow on defense it being the first game? 

I wouldn’t put money on either team winning. However, I would put money on being outcoached if anyone wants to take that bet?
[-] The following 2 users Like Hound05's post:
  • Bull got out!, HOFER
(08-17-2022, 08:57 AM)Hound05 Wrote:

I wouldn’t put money on either team winning. However, I would put money on being outcoached if anyone wants to take that bet?

Corbin may have more overall talent on the field but Pikeville has the sideline advantage for sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Corbin's post:
  • Bull got out!

Just what I have been told by someone who's team played them in 7on7. Speed and athleticism is about the only two things that you can judge in 7on7. QB and RB from Pikeville are top tier in both and that line they have is massive matching Johnson Central toe to toe. I could be way off but I can't see Corbin's defense neutralizing one little on both thoroughbreds. I also don't know where Corbin goes on offense with the losses of all the key playmakers from the past couple years. Their best weapon is a field goal kicker but he is really impressive.
Should be a great game,wish I could be there to watch , best to both teams
(08-17-2022, 09:43 AM)FallRock Wrote:

Just what I have been told by someone who's team played them in 7on7. Speed and athleticism is about the only two things that you can judge in 7on7. QB and RB from Pikeville are top tier in both and that line they have is massive matching Johnson Central toe to toe. I could be way off but I can't see Corbin's defense neutralizing one little on both thoroughbreds. I also don't know where Corbin goes on offense with the losses of all the key playmakers from the past couple years. Their best weapon is a field goal kicker but he is really impressive.
If you consider pikeville’s inexperienced and untested qb “top tier” at this point then Corbin’s QB should be considered whatever is way above top tier. Corbin also has plenty of athletes and speed, with that said I still picked Pikeville to win this one. It will be a great game and I wouldn’t be surprised a bit though if Corbin wins it, they have loads of talent and depth
(08-17-2022, 10:29 AM)fansville Wrote:

If you consider pikeville’s inexperienced and untested qb “top tier” at this point then Corbin’s QB should be considered whatever is way above top tier. Corbin also has plenty of athletes and speed, with that said I still picked Pikeville to win this one. It will be a great game and I wouldn’t be surprised a bit though if Corbin wins it, they have loads of talent and depth

You'll have to re-read what I typed, I said he was top tier at (speed and athleticism). He's still unproven and never been part of a winning program. That doesn't negate the fact that you still have to catch him. I've never seen him play in person or a whole game for that matter. So I can't attest to his arm strength or IQ for reading defenses but fast is fast and that RB is no slouch. Corbin has talent sure, but they don't have that kind of speed were talking about. As far as Combs for Corbin he's certainly a good player, but is he even going to be the starter at QB for the red hounds and even if he is how much will he share the snaps. Hope its a barnburner and I'm not a Pikeville fan but their will be D1 speed on display. Would be good for the region if Corbin could pull it off as much as it pains me to admit.
Gotcha, I did miss that part. I’m not sure on the starting situation for Combs but I thought I read on here he was QB1. I do know though that he has proven himself as one of the best in the region for the past 3yrs so I would expect more of that this year. As for speed I’m sure Corbin has plenty and has guys more than capable of catching the Pikeville qb. What does the Pikeville QB run a 40?

Edit: his twitter says 4.6, pretty sure Corbin has multiple guys 4.6 or below
If the teams are close skill wise then Corbin will lose due to getting out coached.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HOFER's post:
  • Hound05
(08-17-2022, 11:39 AM)fansville Wrote: Gotcha, I did miss that part. I’m not sure on the starting situation for Combs but I thought I read on here he was QB1. I do know though that he has proven himself as one of the best in the region for the past 3yrs so I would expect more of that this year. As for speed I’m sure Corbin has plenty and has guys more than capable of catching the Pikeville qb. What does the Pikeville QB run a 40?

Edit: his twitter says 4.6, pretty sure Corbin has multiple guys 4.6 or below
Pikeville has 4200+ rushing yards and 47 rushing TDs returning.
Corbin has by my count around 700 rushing yards and 11 TDs (almost all production Combs) coming back.

Pikeville has around 950 receiving yards and 16 receiving TDs returning
Corbin has around 600 receiving yards and 5 TDs returning

So basically Pikeville has around 5150 total yards and 63 total TDs returning from a state championship team while 
Corbin has 1300 total yards and 16 total TDs returning. 

So Corbin's new guys in their first game of being the go-to guys better be outstanding right off the bat, to put it mildly.

Corbin's line will not push Pikeville's line around. It may even be Pikeville's line doing the pushing.

On defense, Pikeville lost some good players but have a ton back. Their defense will be very stout.
Corbin lost some good players on defense as well but I'm sure they have others ready to step up. If they at all resemble the defense that gave up almost 500 rushing yards to Johnson Central, Pikeville will shred them early and often. For the first time I can ever remember, Pikeville has 5 different backs that can kill you. Birchfield, Boykins, Wright, Caudill, and Anthony. They can run over you and/or around you. And they can put defenders on their back blocking for each other. Mix in some passing and it is a lethal offense.

Corbin lost Huff, Mills, Gregory, Longmire, Patterson and others. The guys taking their places will have to come right out of the gate on fire to pull out a win vs. what Pikeville is bringing.

Pikeville 34, Corbin 21
(08-17-2022, 10:29 AM)fansville Wrote:

Doesnt matter how much talent and depth you have if the coaching staff has no idea how to utilize it. Corbin had one of the most talented high school football teams I've ever witnessed in the state of Kentucky last season and we saw how that turned out.
(08-17-2022, 12:43 PM)jetpilot Wrote: For the first time I can ever remember, Pikeville has 5 different backs that can kill you. Birchfield, Boykins, Wright, Caudill, and Anthony. They can run over you and/or around you. And they can put defenders on their back blocking for each other. Mix in some passing and it is a lethal offense.
[quote pid="2362020" dateline="1660751009"]

Too bad only one of them will be lined up in the backfield at a time 

[/quote]