Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pikeville
78.72%
Corbin
21.28%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pikeville @ Corbin 8/19/22 (Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic)
Thoughts and Predictions. 

The 2022 Regular Season kicks off with Pikeville & Corbin in the nightcap of the Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic at the historic Campbell Field. 

Pikeville has participated in 4 of these Bowl Games to my recollection:

2005 Pikeville 34 Corbin 0
2006 East Jessamine 20 Pikeville 8
2009 Boyle County 63 Pikeville 7
2010 Danville 54 Pikeville 0

Corbin leads the All-Time Series 6-3

1956 Corbin 33 Pikeville 19
1957 Corbin 62 Pikeville 0
1977 Corbin 27 Pikeville 7 (Class AA State Semifinals)
1979 Pikeville 16 Corbin 0 (Class AA State Semifinals)
1980 Corbin 42 Pikeville 13 (Class AA State Semifinals)
1984 Pikeville 27 Corbin 10
1985 Corbin 47 Pikeville 8
2005 Pikeville 34 Corbin 0 (Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic) 
2008 Corbin 23 Pikeville 15 (Pike County Bowl)

Both schools lay claim to the 1955 Mythical State Title.

Looking forward to a game between two of Kentucky’s most tradition-rich programs.
Pikeville 34
Corbin 21
I'm going with The Hounds in this one. If I can I'm thinking about missing at least some of the Colonels game to come to this one Smile
Home field advantage Corbin and place kicker Jacob Baker…………………….but 1A Powerhouse is coming to town.

Pikeville 41
Corbin 16
If Corbin loses to Pikeville it will be a bad season for the Hounds. Pikeville isn’t as good as last season.
To many unknowns right now for me to get a firm handle on this game for Pikeville which I have watched play this year in both scrimmage games. They are just settling in what kind of team they are going to be. With that being said they could be more of a 2017 team (I think that was the year) that they had a quarterback competition and didn’t settle into about half way threw the season. Yet they made it to the semi finals and lost to Raceland ( now don’t get mad again JetPilot) and ended their season. Not going to make a score prediction but I am going with the Panthers in this one. As always GO PANTHERS!!!
With just two scrimmage games in, doesn't tell us a whole lot. However, Look for the Panthers to be better than last season. 

PANTHERS- 38
Corbin-       14
I picked Pikeville in this one a few months back at 34-20. Gonna change it a little to Pikeville taking the win at 34-24
I actually think Pikeville will be just as good if not better than last season especially if Boykins is QB1 but they may lose a game or two more with that schedule.
IN MY OPINION:

QB play can make or break a team. Both teams come into this matchup 2 possible starters at the postion.

For Corbin: I have watched as much film or scrimmages as I can to look at both teams. I said last week that I thought Corbin was behind a tad bit, First scrimmage against Taylor County I was just kinda like Hmmm. Not much to go on. Now the QB situation after I saw the scrimmage against Henry Clay was settled IN MY OPINION IN MY OWN MIND that Cameron Combs was spot on and looked poised and to me you got to go with him at QB especially with 2 Giants of teams being (Pikeville and Franklin County) in the first 3 games of the regular season. I think in this matchup it comes down to the line play. Corbin has two returning lineman being West and Bolton together that will be what they need on 1 side of the ball, the other side will be baptized this Friday. QB play will be fine. Running Back situation will be fully displayed Friday. Wide recievers will be fine. Corbins defense looks great early but its yet to be determined how much Bolton and West will be playing at D Tackles. Linebacker play should be better but for me, the spacing is too much. Plus Corbin will have a linebacker out the last I heard.

For Pikeville: I have to give the advantage at least to the half the Offensive line to Pikeville. They just went toe to toe with the giant of the mountains Johnson Central. That is hard to do...... Blake Birchfield needs no intoduction. He will be bread and butter of this game for Pikeville. So advantage Pikeville in the running game because of the experience especially a year ago. The QB running ability for Pikeville is looking to be huge. Corbin and Pikeville will both be the same in that area as Cameron Combs can walk on water LOL as well.

Special Teams: Advantage Corbin, Jacob Baker is hands down a Division 1 Talent and is the Best in the state at what he does. I call him Big Foot. 

So for me when talking about top 20 teams in Kentucky, then Coaching game planning comes into play. Corbin and Pikeville both have elite talent on the field, but Corbin the last 2 seasons has not lived up to using the available talent. Advantage Pikeville.

I think again the Corbin kids are very tuff and just need the right gameplan to overtake Pikeville or any team on there schedule this calender year.  Pikeville will be tested in this one as well. But I also said Corbin comes out of the gate red hot early, they did last year as well just ask Franklin County.....I think it will be a classic of classics and I will be pulling for the Redhound players to do what they do well but just like last year, players can only do so much, it still comes down to the GAMEPLAN.

As bad as it pains me because I want to pick the Hounds in every game. I got to go with my gut feeling.....

I'm going to say the first team to 21 Points wins

Woah

Pikeville 21
Corbin 14
QB play is the difference for Pikeville this year. They will still be Pikeville. Boykins has legs like Mac had the arm. Different style, same Pikeville. Going to be hard for anyone in 1-3 to hang with them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • Humpty Dumpty
i hope corbin wins but i think pikeville will be to much pikeville wins 38 to 21
Corbin's coaching staff has to be feeling some heat coming into this season, so I don't expect to see a lot of coaching blunders from them after having months to prepare for this game. I also do not expect Pikeville to dominate the LOS after a long bus ride. I like Corbin's chances of winning their home opener.
Hoot GibsonCorbin's coaching staff has to be feeling some heat coming into this season, so I don't expect to see a lot of coaching blunders from them after having months to prepare for this game. I also do not expect Pikeville to dominate the LOS after a long bus ride. I like Corbin's chances of winning their home opener.

Hoot you know I love you and you are definitely old school but I promise you of all the things that will factor into who wins the game the bus ride will not be one of them. I would expect Pikeville to leave early in the afternoon, stop somewhere along the way, and arrive plenty early. And if I’m wrong and they can’t handle a 2 1/2 hour bus ride broken down into 2 short drives, then they don’t deserve to win. But I’m not wrong lol. Bus ride = no factor.
Pikeville in a close game.
Pikeville puts it to the hounds
All pressure is on Corbin. They are and should be the favorite in this game. If this was game 6 or 7 in season and we knew what QB sport brought to Pikeville then maybe not. Pikeville has a chance but will need things to fall in place quickly. No one will be in shock if Pikeville pulls it off but I just see Corbin being little better early on
Corbin cannot let Pikeville jump out early, because Pikeville has several guys who can take it to the house if they get in open field. Redhounds need to eat up clock and keep the ball out of Boykins and Birchfields hands as much as possible. They also don’t need to look at Pikeville like a 1A team. They might be according to what defines a 1A school, but they’re big, fast, and have depth.

This can be a really good ball game, Redhounds just can’t allow big plays by Pikeville.

Panthers win, 35-20.
(08-14-2022, 04:06 PM)rookie57 Wrote: Pikeville puts it to the hounds

LOL
(08-14-2022, 04:46 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Corbin cannot let Pikeville jump out early, because Pikeville has several guys who can take it to the house if they get in open field. Redhounds need to eat up clock and keep the ball out of Boykins and Birchfields hands as much as possible. They also don’t need to look at Pikeville like a 1A team. They might be according to what defines a 1A school, but they’re big, fast, and have depth.

This can be a really good ball game, Redhounds just can’t allow big plays by Pikeville.

Panthers win, 35-20.
Corbin has been in plenty big games and have plenty weapons of their own. They ain't lacking depth and skill. I expect em to smack each other in the mouth.
(08-14-2022, 03:47 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Hoot GibsonCorbin's coaching staff has to be feeling some heat coming into this season, so I don't expect to see a lot of coaching blunders from them after having months to prepare for this game. I also do not expect Pikeville to dominate the LOS after a long bus ride. I like Corbin's chances of winning their home opener.

Hoot you know I love you and you are definitely old school but I promise you of all the things that will factor into who wins the game the bus ride will not be one of them. I would expect Pikeville to leave early in the afternoon, stop somewhere along the way, and arrive plenty early. And if I’m wrong and they can’t handle a 2 1/2 hour bus ride broken down into 2 short drives, then they don’t deserve to win. But I’m not wrong lol. Bus ride = no factor.

The bus ride back home is the dreaded one. I look for this game to be hard fought, and could go either way, but if Pikeville blows Corbin out like some of you say, Corbin should fire their coach immediately.
(08-14-2022, 03:47 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Hoot GibsonCorbin's coaching staff has to be feeling some heat coming into this season, so I don't expect to see a lot of coaching blunders from them after having months to prepare for this game. I also do not expect Pikeville to dominate the LOS after a long bus ride. I like Corbin's chances of winning their home opener.

In a close game on what will most likely be a hot August night, everything is a factor. If the 4th ranked 4A team loses to a 1A school at home, then I will conclude that Corbin is over rated. The Johnson Central-Corbin playoff game should have been much closer than it was but most people would probably agree that Corbin's coaching staff contributed to the lopsided result. Still, Corbin's run defense was pretty good and they return a lot of talent. 

This should be a good game and Pikeville might win but I am surprised that anybody thinks that Corbin is a two-touchdown underdog at home.
I'll be shocked if this is blowout either way...honestly I have no idea what to expect besides seeing 2 great programs battle it out for 4 quarters.
Tommy’s Hounds 14
Pikeville 28

This will be a game where both teams will make in-game adjustments. Pikeville is better where coaching is concerned. Tommy will have a good disciplined defense and won’t allow them to run away with it. But, so will Pikeville. Rooting for the hometown Hounds all the way, just feel like they are in over there head against Pikeville.

Offense- Pikeville
Defense- Tie
Athleticism- Tie
Coaching- Pikeville
[-] The following 1 user Likes HighViz's post:
  • Bull got out!
(08-14-2022, 06:11 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

In a close game on what will most likely be a hot August night, everything is a factor. If the 4th ranked 4A team loses to a 1A school at home, then I will conclude that Corbin is over rated. The Johnson Central-Corbin playoff game should have been much closer than it was but most people would probably agree that Corbin's coaching staff contributed to the lopsided result. Still, Corbin's run defense was pretty good and they return a lot of talent. 

This should be a good game and Pikeville might win but I am surprised that anybody thinks that Corbin is a two-touchdown underdog at home.
Dang it Hoot I will make the case for Pikeville later but 4A vs 1A means nothing. Pikeville has made a habit out of beating much larger schools in all sports. In football they are as talented and deep as anyone in 1-4A. Nobody is saying Pikeville is a 2 touchdown favorite over Corbin, most Pikeville fans and many others just expect Pikeville to win the game. Doesn't mean they will but I expect them to.

And Corbin wasn't good against the run vs JC, they surrendered 454 yards in that game and JC didn't have to even act like they might pass (1 attempt for the game). 

Pikeville has around 4000 yards rushing coming back and 45-50 TDs counting Boykins and can throw it as well.

High of 80 and Low of 64 (will be cool at game time of 8:30-9) forecast for Friday. Throw the bus ride and the weather out.
More context on Hoot's 4A vs 1A...

Calpreps final rankings overall KY

2019 Pikeville #7 overall, Corbin #51
2020 Corbin #11, Pikeville #51
2021 Pikeville #14, Corbin #17

2022 Preseason Pikeville #16, Corbin #25
On a lighter note, Bull says "Kid Elam" is going to be a star and I believe him 100%.

I have said Blake Caudill is going to be a star and I also believe that 100%. He is going to be a huge problem for defenses this year.

Check out his highlights from the SV scrimmage on D&D Sports twitter feed if you are so inclined.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-, Bull got out!
Roster size:

Pikeville 61
Johnson Central 57
Belfry 53
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-
Should be a great game. Lots of talent everywhere on the field. Gonna take Pikeville in a close one. 21-17
Being at Corbin is the only advantage corbin has in this one.. too slow on defense to stop pikeville and their multiple explosive offensive weapons. Pikeville 28 Corbin 6