Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Girls Basketball Coach???
Tricky Wrote:Compare the winning percentages and see how they compare.
Yes, he won a Regional Title and he done it with guards and no center. How many straight District titles have they won and how many tournaments other than the KHSAA have they won?
When was the last time that Johnson Central won a Region? The Last time that they were in the title game was against Betsy Lane, on their home floor and were heavily favored to win it and got beat by Betsy Lane.

Wireman started out from scratch. He made JC girls basketball what it is. Miller was handed the best talent after West went to coach the boys.
Redneck Wrote:I know that. Go read my other posts. Accordin to the thread title it should be about all the coaches. Some got all bent outta shape earlier when people started namin other coaches.

That was not directed towards you but everyone in this thread in general.

I was agreeing with what you said.
BballFan63 Wrote:Go back and check the records as to how many District and Regional titles that Wireman's teams have won. Sure, MC has had a few straight District titles, but so has JC. What does the loss to Betsy Layne have to do with anything? That was a tough loss for that group of girls, but it doesn't take anything away from what they accomplished while they were there nor from the success that JC has had. So, they've struggled lately. All teams do.

Four (4) 57th District Titles in a row to be exact. Big Grin
I think that that is a pretty big accomplishment.:1:
Redneck Wrote:Wireman started out from scratch. He made JC girls basketball what it is. Miller was handed the best talent after West went to coach the boys.

You probably need to correct yourself. Pup started the program along with West. He was the JV. Coach and he was the one responsible for developing the talent that he has coached.
So before you start with he was handed anything; you need to know the facts about what you are talking about. Which with a remark like that you don't.

Why don't you get on here and start with the Shelby Valley fans about their coach. (No offense Shelby Valley, just trying to make a point.) He hasn't even coached the first girls game this year, yet you don't have a problem with them saying he is a great coach.
Tricky Wrote:Four (4) 57th District Titles in a row to be exact. Big Grin
I think that that is a pretty big accomplishment.:1:

I agree; that is a nice accomplishment. Those MC girls were fun to watch, but why do you have to appear to knock JC, who at one point had won 5 district titles in a row for a total of 8 during Wireman's tenure, which includes 4 Regional Titles and 2 Runners-up. Teams have streaks of success followed by some down, rebuilding years. That doesn't mean the coach isn't good or the program isn't a success - it just means it's someone else's time to shine. If you've been around it long enough, you see that it goes in cycles. There are several good coaches in this region along with several good teams.
Tricky Wrote:You probably need to correct yourself. Pup started the program along with West. He was the JV. Coach and he was the one responsible for developing the talent that he has coached.
So before you start with he was handed anything; you need to know the facts about what you are talking about. Which with a remark like that you don't.

Why don't you get on here and start with the Shelby Valley fans about their coach. (No offense Shelby Valley, just trying to make a point.) He hasn't even coached the first girls game this year, yet you don't have a problem with them saying he is a great coach.

You said compare the stats of Pup to any other coaches and I did.
Tricky Wrote:You probably need to correct yourself. Pup started the program along with West. He was the JV. Coach and he was the one responsible for developing the talent that he has coached.

i dont really know what is going on with this but i saw shelby valley and started reading it..but i think they are saying he is a great coach because he did such a great job when he coached boys and they remember that..but i get what you are saying
Redneck Wrote:You said compare the stats of Pup to any other coaches and I did.

And what was the over all winning percentages? Whose winning percentages were better?
softball Wrote:i dont really know what is going on with this but i saw shelby valley and started reading it..but i think they are saying he is a great coach because he did such a great job when he coached boys and they remember that..but i get what you are saying

Rodney is a good coach. Known him for years.
Rodney will work hard and try to do what is best for the team. I wish him the best.
Tricky Wrote:Rodney is a good coach. Known him for years.
I feel like Rodney is better than a good coach, but more important, he is a even better person than he is a coach. I have nothing but respect for him, and Shelby Valley should consider them selfs lucky that he is there.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I feel like Rodney is better than a good coach, but more important, he is a even better person than he is a coach. I have nothing but respect for him, and Shelby Valley should consider them selfs lucky that he is there.
Thank you for such a good compliment to our coach. We do feel extremely blessed to have him.
Does anyone know what Pikeville's record has been under Coach Halbert(spelling) for each year since she's been there?
Elwayfan Wrote:Does anyone know what Pikeville's record has been under Coach Halbert(spelling) for each year since she's been there?

06-07 / 9-17
05-06 / 2-23
04-05 / 17-12
03-04 / 14-15

overall / 42-67
38% winning percentage

1 time regional runner-up
1 district championship
1 district runner-up which came the year of the regional runner-up
Regional Runner-up?
BondJamesBond Wrote:Regional Runner-up?

my bad i saw that wrong lmao no regional runner-up lol
Jack Pack could be listed as one of the best. Go Lady Blackcats.
miller , Magoffin Co.
I'm going to say Jerry Bentley he's been coaching for 21 years and is still doing a fine job. He pulls double duty he is a teacher, 3 team coach, and our athletic director.
You left out bus driver. Jerry has and always will be a good coach.
Redneck Wrote:Wireman started out from scratch. He made JC girls basketball what it is. Miller was handed the best talent after West went to coach the boys.

Actually, Alvin Ratliff turned things around for JC girls basketball. He won the regional title before Wireman.

Johnson Central girls basketball began in 1975. There was nobody in this region that could even come close to beating Sheldon Clark for many many years. They were the premeir girls team in the 15th region for most of the latter 70's and 80's and were still strong throughout a lot of the 90's.

Actually, Alvin Ratliff was the one who turned things around for JC girls basketball. He won the regional title before Wireman.

Johnson Central girls basketball began in 1975. There was nobody in this region that could even come close to beating Sheldon Clark for many many years. They were the premeir girls team in the 15th region for most of the latter 70's and 80's and were still strong throughout a lot of the 90's.
They won All A Region in 2005 also.

15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:06-07 / 9-17
05-06 / 2-23
04-05 / 17-12
03-04 / 14-15

overall / 42-67
38% winning percentage

1 time regional runner-up
1 district championship
1 district runner-up which came the year of the regional runner-up
ukbadmammajamma Wrote:They won All A Region in 2005 also.

good addition sorry for missing that :Thumbs:
I think we all will have to wait and see this yr because there is going to be alot of good coaches this yr so who knows , everyone is saying there schools coach so lets see who goes to BG this year and thats who IMO is the best. GOOD LUCK to all the coaches and teams in the 15th.
actually belfry had alot of talent last year... quit making excuses for your loses
In Northern KY the best coach is Nell Fookes of Boone Cty who has amassed over 500 wins in her brilliant career. Her tough and no nonsense approach has earned her tons of respect thru out the state.

Another young coach in NKY to keep you eye on is Aaron Stamm of Ludlow. He has turned around this small school program leading them to over 20 victories the last 2 years with this upscoming year being possibly his finest team to date. He works hard and the kids play hard for him. It's only a matter of time before one of the larger schools in NKY steal him away from little old Ludlow
I am a Pike Central fan not Belfry I'm not making excuses for anything.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Actually, Alvin Ratliff was the one who turned things around for JC girls basketball. He won the regional title before Wireman.

Good information on this subject.

So Wireman actually didn't start it from scratch? He merely had to maintain an already established program?

He never had to endure what Miller and West did in Magoffin. Find coaches to coach it in elementary school, middle school and wait on the development of these players to finally make it into the high school.
Tricky Wrote:Good information on this subject.

So Wireman actually didn't start it from scratch? He merely had to maintain an already established program?

He never had to endure what Miller and West did in Magoffin. Find coaches to coach it in elementary school, middle school and wait on the development of these players to finally make it into the high school.

From scratch, no, but as far as being established, there were 2 Regional Championships (84 and 85? I think? and yes Alvin Ratliff was the coach) before Wireman began. Since he began in 1991 there have been 4 Regional Titles and 2 Runners-Up titles, 8 District Titles and numerous Runners-up. Do you really call that maintaining? Please. What's your problem with Wireman anyway? I'm curious to know. No wait. I really don't care to know.

And yes, Johnson county still has to try to develop elementary and middle school coaches and players, just like any other program.