Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 classes too many?
[/quote]
20-30 years ago Bell County, Rockcastle, Whitley etc. were in 3A competing with Bowling Green, Covington Catholic, Highlands etc. Didn't seem like parity to me. Seems to be easier on small schools that are taking the best players from the local big schools. lol
[/quote]

Not sure how great it was from a statewide fairness perspective in the playoffs, but I loved that AAA district that stayed together forever. Bell, Rockcastle, Whitley, Knox Central, and Cawood. Just like the local Class A district that was a pretty constant W-burg, Lynn Camp, Pineville, Harlan, Cumberland, and Evarts. Thought it made the regular season a whole lot better when you got 5 or 6 district games against reasonably local teams that meant something.
(11-02-2021, 11:54 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Will do that when Pikeville stops recruiting players from Shelby Valley, Johns Creek, Betsy Layne, and Letcher County.
Why are you jumping into Pikeville's shit? dougie is from Whitley Co. I think he supports Pikeville when his team is not playing. Good bar b cue man for sure. But talking about the "pot calling the kettle black". I wish the participant's on this site could drive through belfry's parking lot on any given day. What you will see is out of state tags from Ohio, Tn,. Va., and more. But, of course don't count out Wv. Hell, if they need a lineman, RB, whatever, the assistant coach that lives across the river, why he just picks up the phone and there you have it. In past yrs. the railroad was the "Vehicle" that was used as well as the coal industry to create a pipeline for the abundance of players wanted. Now look. The coal industry is down, thus the railroad is down. Then the pipeline has really slowed down. Down to what....33 players on a belfry team this season that once boasted near 100? Parents want their children to enroll into a school system that is as free of politics as possible. Pikeville provides that. Parents want to enroll their children into a school that provides the best education possible(Several Governor's cups won). Pikeville provides that. Parents want to enroll their children into a school where sports are 2nd to none with the best facilities possible. Pikeville provides that. Parents want to enroll their children into a school system with the best community support possible. Pikeville provides that. You get the point Pirate. Pikeville doesn't have to recruit. Parents and their student athlete children want to enroll there for all the reasons mentioned above. Look at your own before you criticize others!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Big Five-0-'s post:
  • jetpilot, pjdoug, sstack
(11-02-2021, 11:54 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Will do that when Pikeville stops recruiting players from Shelby Valley, Johns Creek, Betsy Layne, and Letcher County.
From a Belfry fan HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAcatchesbreathHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-
Some people don't seem to understand a joke. My kid already graduated from Belfry but I still support the program and try to go to as many games as I can. Belfry does and has had kids in the past who at one point went to a school in WV but I promise they weren't recruited to come over. Most come over long before they get to high school so they still grow up in the Belfry school system. Does every kid in your schools football team have kids who went to the school system their in from kindergarten til now? Probably not.

(11-03-2021, 07:26 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
Why are you jumping into Pikeville's shit? dougie is from Whitley Co. I think he supports Pikeville when his team is not playing. Good bar b cue man for sure. But talking about the "pot calling the kettle black". I wish the participant's on this site could drive through belfry's parking lot on any given day. What you will see is out of state tags from Ohio, Tn,. Va., and more. But, of course don't count out Wv. Hell, if they need a lineman, RB, whatever, the assistant coach that lives across the river, why he just picks up the phone and there you have it. In past yrs. the railroad was the "Vehicle" that was used as well as the coal industry to create a pipeline for the abundance of players wanted. Now look. The coal industry is down, thus the railroad is down. Then the pipeline has really slowed down. Down to what....33 players on a belfry team this season that once boasted near 100? Parents want their children to enroll into a school system that is as free of politics as possible. Pikeville provides that. Parents want to enroll their children into a school that provides the best education possible(Several Governor's cups won). Pikeville provides that. Parents want to enroll their children into a school where sports are 2nd to none with the best facilities possible. Pikeville provides that. Parents want to enroll their children into a school system with the best community support possible. Pikeville provides that. You get the point Pirate. Pikeville doesn't have to recruit. Parents and their student athlete children want to enroll there for all the reasons mentioned above. Look at your own before you criticize others!!
Not criticizing at all. Heck if I had a kid still in school and lived in the Shelby Valley, Pike Central, or Betsy Layne school district I'd most likely send my kid to Pikeville. A lot of what you mentioned is similar circumstances for the kids who live in Williamson or Matewan who come to Belfry. It is a better opportunity for them. Heck BMS got a heck of a ballplayer this year and the only reason he transferred over is because his old school decided not to field a team this year due to covid. Is that not a legitimate reason? Sorry your got your panties all in a wad over nothing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Big Five-0-
^^^I got the joke, that's why I busted out laughing. But the fact is lots of transfers come to Belfry for a year or two and never leave WV again. Anyway, Belfry fans posting about Pikeville transfers will always be a knee-slapper lol...
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-
Bravo. Great post 5-0.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-, Gus McCrae

The argument for public v private. Parents want to send their kids to the best schools. Better schools, better opportunities! Good call BF0
[-] The following 4 users Like Real Badman's post:
  • Big Five-0-, CarzyRock, Gus McCrae, jetpilot
(11-03-2021, 07:40 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Some people don't seem to understand a joke. My kid already graduated from Belfry but I still support the program and try to go to as many games as I can. Belfry does and has had kids in the past who at one point went to a school in WV but I promise they weren't recruited to come over. Most come over long before they get to high school so they still grow up in the Belfry school system.  Does every kid in your schools football team have kids who went to the school system their in from kindergarten til now? Probably not.

Not criticizing at all. Heck if I had a kid still in school and lived in the Shelby Valley, Pike Central, or Betsy Layne school district I'd most likely send my kid to Pikeville. A lot of what you mentioned is similar circumstances for the kids who live in Williamson or Matewan who come to Belfry. It is a better opportunity for them. Heck BMS got a heck of a ballplayer this year and the only reason he transferred over is because his old school decided not to field a team this year due to covid. Is that not a legitimate reason? Sorry your got your panties all in a wad over nothing.
Sorry to disappoint you. NO panties in a wad here. I got the joke too. But when it comes to recruiting, I think if I were a Belfry fan it would be something hard to even joke about. I lived in the belfry area for quiet awhile, and some of the things you say are true. But the facts I brought out cant be ignored when you know they are true. I support belfry and all other mountain teams, especially when they're in the playoffs, but just wanted to set the record straight while getting the joke too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • Gus McCrae
(11-03-2021, 11:03 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(11-03-2021, 07:40 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Some people don't seem to understand a joke. My kid already graduated from Belfry but I still support the program and try to go to as many games as I can. Belfry does and has had kids in the past who at one point went to a school in WV but I promise they weren't recruited to come over. Most come over long before they get to high school so they still grow up in the Belfry school system.  Does every kid in your schools football team have kids who went to the school system their in from kindergarten til now? Probably not.

Sorry to disappoint you. NO panties in a wad here. I got the joke too. But when it comes to recruiting, I think if I were a Belfry fan it would be something hard to even joke about. I lived in the belfry area for quiet awhile, and some of the things you say are true. But the facts I brought out cant be ignored when you know they are true. I support belfry and all other mountain teams, especially when they're in the playoffs, but just wanted to set the record straight while getting the joke too.
What exactly do you mean when you say recruit? Do you mean like college coaches do when they show up to a kids high school or house telling them all the good things their program offers to come play for them. I'm trying to understand what you mean by the term recruit. I think your version of recruiting and mine is a lot different.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(11-03-2021, 11:18 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

What exactly do you mean when you say recruit? Do you mean like college coaches do when they show up to a kids high school or house telling them all the good things their program offers to come play for them. I'm trying to understand what you mean by the term recruit. I think your version of recruiting and mine is a lot different.
A lot different ? How ? What's your idea of it ?
(11-03-2021, 11:41 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:

(11-03-2021, 07:26 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote: Why are you jumping into Pikeville's shit? dougie is from Whitley Co. I think he supports Pikeville when his team is not playing. Good bar b cue man for sure. But talking about the "pot calling the kettle black". I wish the participant's on this site could drive through belfry's parking lot on any given day. What you will see is out of state tags from Ohio, Tn,. Va., and more. But, of course don't count out Wv. Hell, if they need a lineman, RB, whatever, the assistant coach that lives across the river, why he just picks up the phone and there you have it. In past yrs. the railroad was the "Vehicle" that was used as well as the coal industry to create a pipeline for the abundance of players wanted. Now look. The coal industry is down, thus the railroad is down. Then the pipeline has really slowed down. Down to what....33 players on a belfry team this season that once boasted near 100? Parents want their children to enroll into a school system that is as free of politics as possible. Pikeville provides that. Parents want to enroll their children into a school that provides the best education possible(Several Governor's cups won). Pikeville provides that. Parents want to enroll their children into a school where sports are 2nd to none with the best facilities possible. Pikeville provides that. Parents want to enroll their children into a school system with the best community support possible. Pikeville provides that. You get the point Pirate. Pikeville doesn't have to recruit. Parents and their student athlete children want to enroll there for all the reasons mentioned above. Look at your own before you criticize others!!
I'm not going to get into all that cause that's not what this thread was intended for but if you think the coaches at Belfry are picking up the phone or driving to a kids house to "recruit" a player from another school your wrong. The success a program had recruits itself. Don't need a coach to do it for them. Think of Pikeville. At least 10 of their players went to middle school somewhere other than Pikeville. I don't think Coach Mac recruited those kids to come play for him. The kid and their parents knew if they wanted to win and have the best experience they could have they probably needed to switch schools. Cant blame a kid for wanting to go somewhere they can win and football is taken more seriously at. Theres only 2 programs in Pike County that ever have a real shot of advancing far in the playoffs. Anyone who pays attention knows that. Kids want that opportunity. That recruits itself. Not the coach.
(11-03-2021, 07:55 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
Bravo. Great post 5-0.
Looks like I got the party started then left and missed all the fun. lol

He's had a rough season and has constant menstrual syndrome. lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Gus McCrae
(11-03-2021, 07:30 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
From a Belfry fan HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAcatchesbreathHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Big Grin
I have to laugh out loud with you. lol
  • Gus McCrae

We all know recruiting starts at the middle school level and parents get housing, jobs etc. lol
(11-03-2021, 07:48 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^I got the joke, that's why I busted out laughing. But the fact is lots of transfers come to Belfry for a year or two and never leave WV again. Anyway, Belfry fans posting about Pikeville transfers will always be a knee-slapper lol...

I've heard a few people say  how many West Virginia license plates you can see in the Belfry parking lots during a game, but I never did count them. I wonder if it's a myth or not. lol
  • Gus McCrae
(11-04-2021, 12:21 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:

I'm not going to get into all that cause that's not what this thread was intended for but if you think the coaches at Belfry are picking up the phone or driving to a kids house to "recruit" a player from another school your wrong. The success a program had recruits itself. Don't need a coach to do it for them. Think of Pikeville. At least 10 of their players went to middle school somewhere other than Pikeville. I don't think Coach Mac recruited those kids to come play for him. The kid and their parents knew if they wanted to win and have the best experience they could have they probably needed to switch schools. Cant blame a kid for wanting to go somewhere they can win and football is taken more seriously at. Theres only 2 programs in Pike County that ever have a real shot of advancing far in the playoffs. Anyone who pays attention knows that. Kids want that opportunity. That recruits itself. Not the coach.
The same ole BS over and over and over. There's lots of gullible people in this world, but the ones that can see through BS just laugh at it. lol
(11-04-2021, 12:50 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-04-2021, 12:21 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(11-03-2021, 11:03 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote: Sorry to disappoint you. NO panties in a wad here. I got the joke too. But when it comes to recruiting, I think if I were a Belfry fan it would be something hard to even joke about. I lived in the belfry area for quiet awhile, and some of the things you say are true. But the facts I brought out cant be ignored when you know they are true. I support belfry and all other mountain teams, especially when they're in the playoffs, but just wanted to set the record straight while getting the joke too.
The same ole BS over and over and over. There's lots of gullible people in this world, but the ones that can see through BS just laugh at it. lol
May be 10 kids that didn't go through PMS, i don't know. I do know there were that and more on belfry's team at just about anytime you look at their football teams in past years.- I do agree with you that a successful school and it's sports program recruits itself. I know this is the case with coach Mac. Good luck to Belfry in the playoffs. I'm done here and heading to bed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • Gus McCrae
Okay, back to the original post.  Trying to take subjective opinion out of the picture and looking at only the numbers using 2012-2013 school year data from Ballotpedia (because that's what came up when I googled it) it appears we may be out of line with other states. For example, during the quoted school year Kentucky had a public school enrollment of 685,167 students. By comparison Indiana had 1,041,369 students and Ohio 1,729,916 students. Indiana has six divisions and Ohio has seven. I haven't looked at every state but the sample of data I looked at does imply that our student/division ratio would be on the low side. Would private school data skew the results...probably a little?? But the overall trend would most likely remain the same. Does this mean we should have fewer classes? I don't know but it does imply that a state/class/division championship in Kentucky may be a little "watered down" in comparison to the majority of states. And to throw my subjective opinion into the mix.....in a state that only has one basketball champion (sans the early season "All A" tournament), six does seem a bit much. Four would be my choice but five would probably be the happy medium.
I'm ok with 6 classes.  Sure it's watered down a bit but what's wrong with 6 teams winning a title instead of 4?  IMO that's a good thing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebel55's post:
  • i82much
(11-04-2021, 01:03 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: I'm ok with 6 classes.  Sure it's watered down a bit but what's wrong with 6 teams winning a title instead of 4?  IMO that's a good thing.

I don't have an issue with 6 teams winning a title instead of 4. My issue is the classes being too watered down to create enough parity. It's rare that you have more than 2 or 3 teams in each class competing for a state title, and in some cases, such as with 1A this year and 6A most years, it's really a single horse race. Like I said, I'd like to see a system where the top teams move up in class each year and the bottom move down to truly give more opportunities for more teams to compete while also providing the most competition for the best teams.
Original question: “6 classes too many?”

Answer: yes. For a number of reasons already touched on if not covered completely.
Yes 6 teams is too many...Class A is so watered down that I'm really hoping Pikeville will make the move up to 2A soon...yes it will be less wins but the schedule and playoffs would be awesome.
Until you fix the recruiting problem it doesn't really matter.
Class doesn't matter as it is prevalent in every class.
Outside of Boyle Co. (I'm sure there are probably a couple more but none really come to mind) and private schools in the last 20 years what teams that are not "state border schools" have enjoyed sustained success. Most of your competing for a state championship every year schools are in border counties that reach into surrounding states and pluck the talent from less successful programs with the promise of jobs for a kids parents or whatever. Sure every now and then a non border school will put together a good run for 2-3 years but not on a year by year basis. I'm not going to name schools but just look at a a map.
(11-05-2021, 11:45 AM)wolfcat Wrote: Until you fix the recruiting problem it doesn't really matter.
Outside of Boyle Co. (I'm sure there are probably a couple more but none really come to mind) and private schools in the last 20 years what teams that are not "state border schools" have enjoyed sustained success. Most of your competing for a state championship every year schools are in border counties that reach into surrounding states and pluck the talent from less successful programs with the promise of jobs for a kids parents or whatever. Sure every now and then a non border school will put together a good run for 2-3 years but not on a year by year basis. I'm not going to name schools but just look at a a map.

I guess the question would be at what distance would you consider a school to be near the border? Everyone is going to point to Belfry, but I will say in Belfry's defense, BHS is closer than Mingo Central is to Williamson.

I don't think it is as much of a factor because of the schools that are close to the border that do not enjoy sustained success. If Belfry can do it, why not Henderson County, or Tilghman/McCracken, or Hopkinsville/Christian Co., or any number of the tradition rich schools in NEKY on the Ohio River? I think what you've got in Pike County is an exception.
I don't get why people keep complaining about 6 classes, and more than two teams making it to the playoffs. Does it cause you physical pain to watch an extra game or what? lol. I think most that complain are the spoiled fans from teams that have won a state championship or compete for one every year, especially in the smaller classes.
(11-05-2021, 02:04 PM)RoShamBo Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 11:45 AM)wolfcat Wrote: Until you fix the recruiting problem it doesn't really matter.

I guess the question would be at what distance would you consider a school to be near the border? Everyone is going to point to Belfry, but I will say in Belfry's defense, BHS is closer than Mingo Central is to Williamson.

I don't think it is as much of a factor because of the schools that are close to the border that do not enjoy sustained success. If Belfry can do it, why not Henderson County, or Tilghman/McCracken, or Hopkinsville/Christian Co., or any number of the tradition rich schools in NEKY on the Ohio River? I think what you've got in Pike County is an exception.
It's not if they can do it. it's do they do it. You're lying to your self if you think West and Northern Kentucky schools haven't drawn talent from other states. Ask any honest Bell Countian how many good players they've had from Tennessee, Virginia, Missouri. lol
You cause people to melt down when you speak truth. We all know a wide spot in the road can't possibly reload every year and compete for a state championship every year, but most will never admit it. lol
  • wolfcat
Come out and talk some trash Quakers so I don't have to give Corbin's team a pep talk.
(11-05-2021, 02:04 PM)RoShamBo Wrote:

I would disagree. How many Cincinnati kids have been on the rosters of some of  those NKy teams. How many New Albany kids have been on Louisville teams?  Also I can think of a couple in western KY that have benefited from non district players. 
When you look at the list of most state championships won most are either a private school or a school that is in a border county. Just because School A does not get out of district players does not mean they could if willing to offer jobs, houses, etc. It goes on in more places than one would think. Even outside of Pike Co.