Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 6 classes too many?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Anyone think 6 classes is too many? Nearly every season it's the same 3 or 4 teams in each class who have a chance to win it all and 75 percent of the games in the playoffs rounds 1-3 are blowouts. Not a whole lot of excitement in the playoffs until Thanksgiving. Imagine if we put the smaller 2a teams in 1a, the smaller 3a teams in 2a and done this all the way thru 5a. Your larger 5a schools and all 6a schools would become 5a. I think 5 classes would work better. You'd have 7 or 8 legitimate teams in each class and you would see much better matchups in the playoffs. You could see a Pikeville vs Beechwood or a Belfry vs LCA or even a Johnson Central vs Bowling Green in the playoffs.
Ive said it for years. 6 is too many. 4 makes things a little to mundane with little chance for teams "on the rise" to make a real move. If you keep 6 classes, it should be the district champ making the playoffs, want more games? Win more games!. Move to 5 classes and take the top 2. Everyone getting in makes no sense. To me, the only thing I can immagine being worse than knowing i will or likely woll never play another down of football, is knowing my last game, will require a 7 hour round trip to get my teeth kicked in for 2 hours.
You guys think it is fair for big schools in rural areas to have to play big Lexington and Louisville schools? or smallest schools to play against private schools? Only if you can recruit like they do. lol
Yes. 6 is too many.
I wish some changes would be made. I would like to see only the top two teams in every district make the playoffs. It would be nice to have a separate class for the private schools. I wouldn't mind seeing it go back to just 4 classes. Any of those I listed would be a step in a better direction, IMO.
I think 6 is too many but I've always wanted to see the classes have a little more mobility and fluidity than they currently do. One thought I had was setting it up similar to the English soccer leagues. For example, in year 1 all teams are put in their respective classes based on male student population, same as they are now. After year 1 the top 3 or 4 teams in the class move up one class, and the bottom 3 teams in the next class move down. Make the maximum movement 3 classes and it could create a little more parity in the upper classes while providing more opportunities for the lower classes where typically 1 or 2 teams dominate.

Or they could just go back to 4 classes, which would basically solve these problems. 20 years ago, you had Pikeville, LCA, Danville, Mayfield, Beechwood, NCC, CAL, Somerset, Hazard, Paintsville all in the same class. The classes are way too watered down right now.
I Like more chances for kids and communities to win. 6 classes is good. I don't like four teams from districts going personally.. think being a 4 seed is not good MOST the time...
The original argument that the KHSAA BOC & member schools made way back when is that in every other sport, besides football, every team or individual got to compete in at least one post-season game/match/contest. No matter if that was in district or regions.

No matter their record, every team or individual has the opportunity to compete in at least one post-season game/match/contest. We've all seen zero win teams or one-win teams play in the district basketball tournaments. So the KHSAA made six classes to allow more teams in to post-season play.

There is no way the BOC & member schools will ever vote to have only one football championship instead of six & there is no way the BOC & member schools will vote to class basketball. So six is our magic number. Five would knock too many teams out of the playoffs & seven classes would be way too many as there is only a handful of schools (28 to be exact) that are left out through all six classes.
(11-02-2021, 09:14 AM)Pulp Fiction Wrote: [ -> ]The original argument that the KHSAA BOC & member schools made way back when is that in every other sport, besides football, every team or individual got to compete in at least one post-season game/match/contest.  No matter if that was in district or regions.

No matter their record, every team or individual has the opportunity to compete in at least one post-season game/match/contest.  We've all seen zero win teams or one-win teams play in the district basketball tournaments.  So the KHSAA made six classes to allow more teams in to post-season play.

There is no way the BOC & member schools will ever vote to have only one football championship instead of six & there is no way the BOC & member schools will vote to class basketball.  So six is our magic number.  Five would knock too many teams out of the playoffs & seven classes would be way too many as there is only a handful of schools (28 to be exact) that are left out through all six classes.
This is where things make no sense. Why are some sports classed while others aren’t? In the ones that are classed, there are different class sizes (6 in football and 3 in track and XC).  Not only would having an equal number classes for everything just make more sense but it would also level the playing field for small schools that will never be able to compete with larger schools.
I miss the days of the 4 class system. I can see a argument for 5, but no more. 6 is too much and has lead to many teams making state finals that wouldn’t have made it out of the quarterfinals back in the 4 class system.

Quality over quantity
I like six classes but I'd prefer we separate public and private schools.
Keep 6 classes Alive!!!!
(11-02-2021, 08:43 AM)RoShamBo Wrote: [ -> ]I think 6 is too many but I've always wanted to see the classes have a little more mobility and fluidity than they currently do. One thought I had was setting it up similar to the English soccer leagues. For example, in year 1 all teams are put in their respective classes based on male student population, same as they are now. After year 1 the top 3 or 4 teams in the class move up one class, and the bottom 3 teams in the next class move down. Make the maximum movement 3 classes and it could create a little more parity in the upper classes while providing more opportunities for the lower classes where typically 1 or 2 teams dominate.

Or they could just go back to 4 classes, which would basically solve these problems. 20 years ago, you had Pikeville, LCA, Danville, Mayfield, Beechwood, NCC, CAL, Somerset, Hazard, Paintsville all in the same class. The classes are way too watered down right now.

20-30 years ago Bell County, Rockcastle, Whitley etc. were in 3A competing with Bowling Green, Covington Catholic, Highlands etc. Didn't seem like parity to me. Seems to be easier on small schools that are taking the best players from the local big schools. lol
(11-02-2021, 10:16 AM)fridaynightfights Wrote: [ -> ]I like six classes but I'd prefer we separate public and private schools.

There aren't enough private schools in Kentucky to do that and there is too much disparity amomg the private schools in Kentucky. There are only (I think) 15 or 16 private football playing schools in Kentucky, so in order to make that work you'd have Trinity and St. X playing in the same class as Sayre and Bishop Brossart. Not feasible in Kentucky.

Also, as far as the private schools go, in Kentucky they are not as dominant as some of us like to believe. Bishop Gorman in Nevada could have run their JV team out the past 15 years and probably taken home the state championship every year. 6 classes really is the best solution for the public/private debate in Kentucky.

(11-02-2021, 11:49 AM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2021, 08:43 AM)RoShamBo Wrote: [ -> ]I think 6 is too many but I've always wanted to see the classes have a little more mobility and fluidity than they currently do. One thought I had was setting it up similar to the English soccer leagues. For example, in year 1 all teams are put in their respective classes based on male student population, same as they are now. After year 1 the top 3 or 4 teams in the class move up one class, and the bottom 3 teams in the next class move down. Make the maximum movement 3 classes and it could create a little more parity in the upper classes while providing more opportunities for the lower classes where typically 1 or 2 teams dominate.

20-30 years ago Bell County, Rockcastle, Whitley etc. were in 3A competing with Bowling Green, Covington Catholic, Highlands etc. Didn't seem like parity to me. Seems to be easier on small schools that are taking the best players from the local big schools. lol

Looking at it from the outside now, maybe not. But all of the teams you mentioned were competing for state championships back then, and Whitley County still has to compete with Bowling Green, Covington Catholic, and Highlands.
Nah, 6 is about right.
(11-02-2021, 10:16 AM)fridaynightfights Wrote: [ -> ]I like six classes but I'd prefer we separate public and private schools.
same here.
(11-02-2021, 11:51 AM)RoShamBo Wrote: [ -> ]

There aren't enough private schools in Kentucky to do that and there is too much disparity amomg the private schools in Kentucky. There are only (I think) 15 or 16 private football playing schools in Kentucky, so in order to make that work you'd have Trinity and St. X playing in the same class as Sayre and Bishop Brossart. Not feasible in Kentucky.

Also, as far as the private schools go, in Kentucky they are not as dominant as some of us like to believe. Bishop Gorman in Nevada could have run their JV team out the past 15 years and probably taken home the state championship every year. 6 classes really is the best solution for the public/private debate in Kentucky.

Looking at it from the outside now, maybe not. But all of the teams you mentioned were competing for state championships back then, and Whitley County still has to compete with Bowling Green, Covington Catholic, and Highlands.
All the big boys outside Louisville were in 3A back then. I used to think that 1A schools could never compete with 4A schools, and shouldn't even be playing against them, but recruiting can sure change things. lol. it just doesn't seem right that a team from Harlan,  Pineville or Williamsburg has to compete with schools near Cincinnati and Louisville. Seems like impossible odds.
(11-02-2021, 09:06 AM)FCSPY Wrote: [ -> ]I Like more chances for kids and communities to win. 6 classes is good. I don't like four teams from districts going personally.. think being a 4 seed is not good MOST the time...
I agree.  Making the playoffs should be a reward on a good season and not automatic.  No 0-10 team should be playing a playoff game.   Top 2 from each district and move State back to Thanksgiving weekend.
I also think 6 is too many. I'd like to see fewer classes and larger districts, to make sure you have more guaranteed games and help with scheduling.
YES RIDICULOUS
Too many. IMO, 5 would be perfect for KY. If they continue to stick with the 6 class system, I wish they would only send the regular season district champ and runner-up to the playoffs.
(11-02-2021, 02:30 PM)Diogenes Wrote: [ -> ]I also think 6 is too many.  I'd like to see fewer classes and larger districts, to make sure you have more guaranteed games and help with scheduling.

The guaranteed games would be a plus, especially with this RPI nonsense we have to deal with now.
It’s absolutely to manny. There is teams winning state championships that are no where near that level of team. Class A is probably the worst been the worst since we went to 6 classes but some of the other classes hasn’t been to far behind. If we went back to 4 classes could you imagine a class A with beechwood, Pikeville, Murray, Mayfield that would be a heck of a division. I’m using class A as a example because that’s what I played in growing up and some of the championship games have looked really bad recently but this would make all 4 classes this strong. This would actually hurt the school I root for but I don’t like seeing mediocre state championship teams.
(11-02-2021, 12:04 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2021, 11:51 AM)RoShamBo Wrote: [ -> ]

All the big boys outside Louisville were in 3A back then. I used to think that 1A schools could never compete with 4A schools, and shouldn't even be playing against them, but recruiting can sure change things. lol. it just doesn't seem right that a team from Harlan,  Pineville or Williamsburg has to compete with schools near Cincinnati and Louisville. Seems like impossible odds.

It was tough but not impossible. Cumberland beat Beechwood three times in the state semifinals in the 80s.
There have been many times small town schools have competed with the Lexington, Louisville, and Cincinnati area schools. Belfry has beat Central and put a running clock in the 1st half on Lex Cath in the finals, Pikeville beat Beechwood in 15 and lost by 1 point in 18. Johnson Central would play Highlands close only to see Highlands put a running clock on someone in the championship game. I am personally in favor of 5 classes.
I don't think it matters anymore. The best teams are going to win.
(11-02-2021, 10:10 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]There have been many times small town schools have competed with the Lexington, Louisville, and Cincinnati area schools. Belfry has beat Central and put a running clock in the 1st half on Lex Cath in the finals, Pikeville beat Beechwood in 15 and lost by 1 point in 18. Johnson Central would play Highlands close only to see Highlands put a running clock on someone in the championship game. I am personally in favor of 5 classes.

Stop recruiting West Virginia players and see if you can still compete.
Will do that when Pikeville stops recruiting players from Shelby Valley, Johns Creek, Betsy Layne, and Letcher County.
(11-02-2021, 11:54 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]Will do that when Pikeville stops recruiting players from Shelby Valley, Johns Creek, Betsy Layne, and Letcher County.

So never. You proved my point. Schools from small towns cant compete if they don't cheat. lol
I’d love to see fewer classes but then we’d all just lose our players to small schools like back in the 80’-90’ especially eastern Ky schools.
Pages: 1 2 3 4