Poll: Who is the BGR Peoples Player Award
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Michael Mayer
100.00%
Reese Smith
0%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BGR’s Peoples player award
Westside Wrote:#55PirateFan had a good suggestion. Let's also do a discussion on the big uglies up front. That is the position I played back in the day. People always talk about how important they are to a team's success, but they hardly ever get the recognition they deserve. They truly are the forgotten five. So let's hear it. Who are some of the top lineman in the state?

Just a few right off the top of my head are: John Young CAL, Walker Parks F.D., Jager Burton F.D., Ethan Wolford Belfry (not going to leave my own kid off the list, Lol), Dane Jackson Mad.South, Mark Goode Larue Co., and Colt Jackson S.Warren.

And yes, I think my boy is one of the top interior linemen in the state. Watch his film. There's not a more dominant center in Kentucky, that I've seen. No, he doesn't have all the measurables that the taller guys have but that's the only thing he doesn't have that they got. I know this is going to come off like I'm just trying to build my own kid up and sound a little uppity. But trust me, if I didn't think that he was good enough to be in the conversation I'd never mention him.
Iam4thecats Wrote:The coaches association has picked a player of the year for each class and their Mr.Football will come from one of these 6.
1A - Malachi Corley (ATH), Campbellsville
2A - Kaiya Sheron (QB/DB), Somerset
3A - Jonathan Maher (QB/DB), Fleming County
4A - Reese Smith (WR/DB), Boyle County
5A - Michael Mayer (TE/LB), Covington Catholic
6A - Izayah Cummings (WR), Male

Not from what I seen on Twitter yesterday they have added a few names to this list including Beau Allen.
If I had a vote, it would go to Mayer. My Honorable Mention list would include Ryley Preece. With Preece as their starting quarterback, JC's record was 54-6, with two 4A state titles and two 4A runners-up finishes.

Even after this year's 15-0 record, Preece remains the most underrated football player in the state, IMO. In his senior season, Preece rushed for 679 yards (8.7 ypc) and 14 TD. He also passed for 1,223 yards, with 18 TD (vs. 2 INT), a completion percentage of 71%, and an average of 24.5 yards per completion. Defensively, Preece had 19 tackles, 4 interceptions, 2 interceptions returned for touchdowns, and 148 yards on interception returns.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If I had a vote, it would go to Mayer. My Honorable Mention list would include Ryley Preece. With Preece as their starting quarterback, JC's record was 54-6, with two 4A state titles and two 4A runners-up finishes.

Even after this year's 15-0 record, Preece remains the most underrated football player in the state, IMO. In his senior season, Preece rushed for 679 yards (8.7 ypc) and 14 TD. He also passed for 1,223 yards, with 18 TD (vs. 2 INT), a completion percentage of 71%, and an average of 24.5 yards per completion. Defensively, Preece had 19 tackles, 4 interceptions, 2 interceptions returned for touchdowns, and 148 yards on interception returns.

That's a fact. Preece should definitely be mentioned in the Mr. Football talk. And he's absolutely a top 10 player in Kentucky in my opinion.
I would like to mention Tates Creek quarterback Luke Duby. After a rough start due primarily to injuries and a lack of depth (TC had a roster of about 50 when most 6a schools had 80-100) TC went on a run in to the state semifinals for the first time in 20 years. Duby lead the state in passing yardage with 4685 yards which is the 2nd most ever in the state of Kentucky. He had two games of over 500 yards (535 v Lexington Catholic and 537 v Pulaski) which rank 12th and 13th all time. His 335 ypg average is 4th all time. TC was obviously a pass first team and had to throw it to win. Yes, that can lead to better passing stats but I would argue that it also makes it more difficult than when a team has a balanced offense. He also lead his team in rushing with 448 yards. He has a 4.5 gpa in the International Bacalaureate program at TC and is committed to Cornell University. Full disclosure, I am very biased and very proud of the work that he has put in.
Frank Martin Wrote:I would like to mention Tates Creek quarterback Luke Duby. After a rough start due primarily to injuries and a lack of depth (TC had a roster of about 50 when most 6a schools had 80-100) TC went on a run in to the state semifinals for the first time in 20 years. Duby lead the state in passing yardage with 4685 yards which is the 2nd most ever in the state of Kentucky. He had two games of over 500 yards (535 v Lexington Catholic and 537 v Pulaski) which rank 12th and 13th all time. His 335 ypg average is 4th all time. TC was obviously a pass first team and had to throw it to win. Yes, that can lead to better passing stats but I would argue that it also makes it more difficult than when a team has a balanced offense. He also lead his team in rushing with 448 yards. He has a 4.5 gpa in the International Bacalaureate program at TC and is committed to Cornell University. Full disclosure, I am very biased and very proud of the work that he has put in.

Wow! That is impressive. And you should be proud my friend. This kid seems to be a solid, all around fine young man.
I would choose Michael Mayer. He dominated FDU. Seemed like he was in on every tackle on defense. Then on offense he was killing people on blocks, running through on his carries, and jumping over them on his catches. He is a man amongst boys. He will without a doubt play on Sundays IMO.
Coaches have named Mayer as their Mr.Football
Woodsman Wrote:Can we post pictures and videos on here?

Gosh, I hope you're are going to reveal your face. Everyone is waiting on pins and needles! The knowledge you add to this site week in and week out is priceless, people want to add a face to go with the intelligence.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:I would choose Michael Mayer. He dominated FDU. Seemed like he was in on every tackle on defense. Then on offense he was killing people on blocks, running through on his carries, and jumping over them on his catches. He is a man amongst boys. He will without a doubt play on Sundays IMO.

Having an extra year on everybody will do that at times.
Hound05 Wrote:Braedon Sloan- Wayne county- (6ft 185lb RB) I couldn’t find any rivals info on the young man, yet.... I did find some info for the youngest man on this list. NCAA.org lists his 40 at 4.5, 285 bench, and 385 squat. Seeing him in person that 4.5 looks a little slow. I think he could keep up with anyone in the state on the field. And he’s got another year to go! I’ll be honest he doesn’t deserve it over the ones above him, but I had to mention him. You don’t stop Sloan, you just hope to slow him down. He has some of the best vision for a RB I’ve seen in a long time. Was the best one I’ve seen or watched all year regardless of class. His strength and speed combo make solo tackling almost impossible against him. Once he sees a gap he’s gone. The kid will be a tough and special player next year.

He is still just 16. I'm not sure how much better he can get but it's going to be fun to watch his progression.
Gravy Wrote:He is still just 16. I'm not sure how much better he can get but it's going to be fun to watch his progression.

I know!! And the fact that he is only 16 should make Wayne fans even more happy. You can gain a lot of strength from 16-18. He’s gonna be a special player in Kentucky. The only reason he’s not in the convo with the top two is exposure. I mean he’s scored way more than both, probably had more yards than both. He’s almost like a B Allen. Wayne has a good team, but he had to do more with less compared to the others on this list.
plantmanky Wrote:Having an extra year on everybody will do that at times.

Please elaborate oh wise one. I’d love to hear you logic or lack there of.
Gravy Wrote:He is still just 16. I'm not sure how much better he can get but it's going to be fun to watch his progression.

“Just 16”.....isn’t he a sophomore? How old should he be? My son is a senior and he is 17.
Maher
#55PirateFan Wrote:Wow! That is impressive. And you should be proud my friend. This kid seems to be a solid, all around fine young man.

Fun fact for you 55. His first varsity snap was against Belfry in the Pike County bowl when he was a 145 pound freshman. Belfry jumped on Tates Creek early so they pulled the starter in the 2nd quarter and put him in. His mother and I didn’t even notice until he was in his cadence. I have to admit we were more than a little afraid of what might happen if those big Belfry boys got to him. I thought they’d have him hand the ball of a time or two to send a message to the starter and that would be it. I was wrong. He dropped back and threw an 80 yard TD (actually a 15 yard pass and the receiver did the rest). Although that was the high point of the game for TC and for him he did go on and finish the game and got the MVP for the losing team. It is a memory I hope I never forget.
Well I don’t tbink were gonna get to many more nominations. So baring a late push I’ll create the poll tonight. From what I’ve gathered everyone seems, well the majority seems to think it’s either Mayer or Smith. So well let the voters decide...
Hound05 Wrote:Well I don’t tbink were gonna get to many more nominations. So baring a late push I’ll create the poll tonight. From what I’ve gathered everyone seems, well the majority seems to think it’s either Mayer or Smith. So well let the voters decide...

You adding the poll to this thread or making a new one?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Cakebattermatters Wrote:Gosh, I hope you're are going to reveal your face. Everyone is waiting on pins and needles! The knowledge you add to this site week in and week out is priceless, people want to add a face to go with the intelligence.

Sorry I’m not your “type” nor am I into internet dating. Good luck on finding a man though.
Spud6 Wrote:You adding the poll to this thread or making a new one?

I just realized I don’t know how? Haha. So if you could would you please.
Frank Martin Wrote:“Just 16”.....isn’t he a sophomore? How old should he be? My son is a senior and he is 17.

No sir he is a junior going to be a senior.
Hound05 Wrote:I just realized I don’t know how? Haha. So if you could would you please.

Is that the only two you needed added?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
We can throw in whomever. It just seemed like the vibe was down to those two.