Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: BGR’s Peoples player award
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Me and spud talked about this weeks ago, and it got a good reception. So nows the time. We have to nominate someone for our “MR. FOOTBALL”. We can use this thread to make nominations and why they should be and spud or someone can make a poll. I don’t want this to turn into a yelling match again please! If you think someone should get it, post it, and why. We don’t have to call others out for their opinions. Debate it! That’s fine! Present the facts! That’s fine! But fighting over this takes the joy out of it all. Present your case.......

Here’s my 4 and it hasn’t changed all that much.

Mike Mayer- Cov cath- (6”5 235 lb TE) as a 4 star he is ranked #1 in the state by rivals. #3 for his position in the nation and 37th overall. That alone, with all the offers from top P5 schools should tell the story, but the Notre dame signee is a man among children on the field. He’s the only one I’ve seen for a skill position guy that “looks the part” to be able to play on sundays. He’s a title winner and almost unstoppable on the field of play. I’m having trouble loading his final stats, but to me those aren’t as important as his impact on the field. He could be the next Jacob tamme from ky, maybe better.......

Beau Allen- Lex cath- (6”2 200lb pro style QB)this 4 star is ranked #3 in the state and 13th overall for his position, the UK commit is amazing to watch. To say he’s a field general is an understatement. His ability to take control of a game is almost unmatched. His play making ability is something to see, he’s great at getting nothing and using his vision to turn it into a big play. His stats aren’t up as high as some others, but he’s done more with less to me.

Reece Smith- Boyle co.- (5”11 175 lb WR) the 3 star WVU commit is ranked 7th in the state by rivals and #66 overall for his pos., is another one who is just amazing to watch. The sheer talent this man possesses is truly a gift from god. The speed, quickness, and hands, are above any WR in the state this year. Every time he lines up he is going to be better than the man he faced, or multiple men on some occasions. The stats of this kid is remarkable and well deserved. He “big play” ability is 2nd to none and full of top 10 highlights. Anyone who has ever seen him has came away blown by his game.

Braedon Sloan- Wayne county- (6ft 185lb RB) I couldn’t find any rivals info on the young man, yet.... I did find some info for the youngest man on this list. NCAA.org lists his 40 at 4.5, 285 bench, and 385 squat. Seeing him in person that 4.5 looks a little slow. I think he could keep up with anyone in the state on the field. And he’s got another year to go! I’ll be honest he doesn’t deserve it over the ones above him, but I had to mention him. You don’t stop Sloan, you just hope to slow him down. He has some of the best vision for a RB I’ve seen in a long time. Was the best one I’ve seen or watched all year regardless of class. His strength and speed combo make solo tackling almost impossible against him. Once he sees a gap he’s gone. The kid will be a tough and special player next year.

Well there’s my top 3 nominees and an honorable mention I’d guess you’d say. What do you guys think? Who ya got? And most importantly, WHY???
^^^ the 3 candidates above are in no particular order.
In my opinion, its Michael Mayer. I love Reece Smith but I think at the end of the day Mayer has done more. Smith has a championship but it was a couple years ago. Mayer has two and just helped his team win the 5A State Championship in his final year. This is what put him over the top to me. I had them both neck and neck coming into last weekend and was just waiting to see how championship weekend played out.

I don't think Allen is even in the conversation with Mayer and Smith. He's a really good QB but this year, and again this is just my opinion, I don't even think he was the best QB in the state. I think Reed Lanter of Boyle County was.

So in my opinion it comes down to Mayer and Smith and I'll go with Mayer by the slightest of margins.
Mike Mayer- Cov cath- (6”5 235 lb TE) as a 4 star he is ranked #1 in the state by rivals. #3 for his position in the nation and 37th overall. That alone, with all the offers from top P5 schools should tell the story, but the Notre dame signee is a man among children on the field. He’s the only one I’ve seen for a skill position guy that “looks the part” to be able to play on sundays. He’s a title winner and almost unstoppable on the field of play. I’m having trouble loading his final stats, but to me those aren’t as important as his impact on the field. He could be the next Jacob tamme from ky, maybe better.......

Does the kid play both ways, or just offense. Actually do any of these kids play a lot of defense??
I think Braedon Sloan deserves the mention. I was really impressed with his performance in the District Championship game. I thought when we played at home that we had his number as a team and would be able to do the same the next time around and as the dryer ground would prove to be the biggest spoiler. Braedon had a heck of a night. I think no doubt the kid is a once in a blue moon athlete. I work with people who know his family and I hear nothing but great things from this young man. I am a fan of the game and I the kid has got "IT". As far as the top 3 candidates. I hate to try to distinguish why any kid would deserve it better than any other top kid. I have read all the arguments and thoughts as they have came up. For me if you look at what Mr. Mayer did in his Championship game and throughout the season, he seemed to be like the MVP type player to his team and his stats back it up and play in the championship game. Mr. Smith no doubt the same way and just a phenomenal player during his career and season for his team. I don't know if anyone could win a argument between the three kids. But my opinion is just that, only a opinion. I think I give Mr football to Mike Mayer. Reece Smith second and Beau Allen 3rd.
#55PirateFan Wrote:In my opinion, its Michael Mayer. I love Reece Smith but I think at the end of the day Mayer has done more. Smith has a championship but it was a couple years ago. Mayer has two and just helped his team win the 5A State Championship in his final year. This is what put him over the top to me. I had them both neck and neck coming into last weekend and was just waiting to see how championship weekend played out.

I don't think Allen is even in the conversation with Mayer and Smith. He's a really good QB but this year, and again this is just my opinion, I don't even think he was the best QB in the state. I think Reed Lanter of Boyle County was.

So in my opinion it comes down to Mayer and Smith and I'll go with Mayer by the slightest of margins.
I agree between Mayer and Smith. I was just maki g nominations, we can’t set it up for a vote once we get a consensus of top 3 or so. I’m not as concerned about state titles in this regard as much as I am how they helped either win it or what they done to get their respective teams in. If I get a chance, since lineman are hardly ever considered, we need to make a lineman or the year award.
Boomer_Sooner Wrote:Mike Mayer- Cov cath- (6”5 235 lb TE) as a 4 star he is ranked #1 in the state by rivals. #3 for his position in the nation and 37th overall. That alone, with all the offers from top P5 schools should tell the story, but the Notre dame signee is a man among children on the field. He’s the only one I’ve seen for a skill position guy that “looks the part” to be able to play on sundays. He’s a title winner and almost unstoppable on the field of play. I’m having trouble loading his final stats, but to me those aren’t as important as his impact on the field. He could be the next Jacob tamme from ky, maybe better.......

Does the kid play both ways, or just offense. Actually do any of these kids play a lot of defense??
Allen doesn’t. The other two do.
Bull got out! Wrote:I think Braedon Sloan deserves the mention. I was really impressed with his performance in the District Championship game. I thought when we played at home that we had his number as a team and would be able to do the same the next time around and as the dryer ground would prove to be the biggest spoiler. Braedon had a heck of a night. I think no doubt the kid is a once in a blue moon athlete. I work with people who know his family and I hear nothing but great things from this young man. I am a fan of the game and I the kid has got "IT". As far as the top 3 candidates. I hate to try to distinguish why any kid would deserve it better than any other top kid. I have read all the arguments and thoughts as they have came up. For me if you look at what Mr. Mayer did in his Championship game and throughout the season, he seemed to be like the MVP type player to his team and his stats back it up and play in the championship game. Mr. Smith no doubt the same way and just a phenomenal player during his career and season for his team. I don't know if anyone could win a argument between the three kids. But my opinion is just that, only a opinion. I think I give Mr football to Mike Mayer. Reece Smith second and Beau Allen 3rd.

That would be my order if you made me pick. Mayer has a better future in front of him with his potential in my opinion, that also has a lot to do with it for me. Not knocking smith, because you can’t really, but fast WRs that are 6” are a dime a dozen when you get to higher levels.
Hound05 Wrote:I agree between Mayer and Smith. I was just maki g nominations, we can’t set it up for a vote once we get a consensus of top 3 or so. I’m not as concerned about state titles in this regard as much as I am how they helped either win it or what they done to get their respective teams in. If I get a chance, since lineman are hardly ever considered, we need to make a lineman or the year award.

Yeah, I was just throwing the championship thing in there because that was the decider for me. Didn't feel like listing stats, Lol. I think most of us know what they've done.
Hound05 Wrote:I agree between Mayer and Smith. I was just maki g nominations, we can’t set it up for a vote once we get a consensus of top 3 or so. I’m not as concerned about state titles in this regard as much as I am how they helped either win it or what they done to get their respective teams in. If I get a chance, since lineman are hardly ever considered, we need to make a lineman or the year award.

Man, that would be awesome if we did one for the Hawgs as well. Those guys hardly ever get any love.
Honestly I’m taking DeAirious Smith from LCA kid is fast as a cheetah and can absolutely ball he definitely deserves more offers
It’s between Mayer & Smith for me.
I’m not sure they should win necessarily but Ponder at Williamsburg and Stephney at Bell have earned a place in the conversation.
I wonder why Kentucky doesn't do a Mr. Football for each class, invite all the players to a banquet. Top 3 candidates in each class and then hand out the awards. A great way to get more interest in sports and give some deserving kids some hardware.
fridaynightfights Wrote:I’m not sure they should win necessarily but Ponder at Williamsburg and Stephney at Bell have earned a place in the conversation.

Yea I could def see them almost as an honorable mention. Both are great athletes, and like 55 said, I hate to make it like I’m putting one kid down because I’m not, but the level between Mayer and Smith and players like ponder or stephany is pretty substantial. Doesn’t mean they aren’t great at what they did. But they are separated by a lot in my opinion.
Well Spud6, Hound05, and #55PirateFan here is my pick Jackson Hensley. Now for you guys know the reason why, he will always be my player of the year fo 2019. You guys have your opinions and I have mine. Biased you think, no not me.
I will be the homer here and vote for Smith. If I was voting on college or pro material then Mayer wins hands down. I don’t know all the stats for both but I know Mayer won 2 championships and Smith won 1. Mayer helped his team win a couple of years ago but don’t remember him doing much while smith scored a few tds and a couple of interceptions. This year Mayer played very well and not sure of his stats and gets a W whole smith played good not sure of stats but took a L. Smith stats are out of this world for everybody that says he isn’t big enough and will not make it at the next level and an maybe he won’t but I seen on Twitter where the local radio guy posted his stats but the one that stuck out to me was he finished his career as the only player to be top 5 for TD receptions(2nd) and interceptions(5th).
Micheal Mayer could literally not have done more to help his team win their second state championship in 3 years. Truth.
Can we post pictures and videos on here?
Patriot1 Wrote:Well Spud6, Hound05, and #55PirateFan here is my pick Jackson Hensley. Now for you guys know the reason why, he will always be my player of the year fo 2019. You guys have your opinions and I have mine. Biased you think, no not me.

I understand my friend, and I would be the same way. Jackson is a phenomenal player and definitely should be mentioned.
Woodsman Wrote:Can we post pictures and videos on here?

Absolutely. Within the rules of course.
Patriot1 Wrote:Well Spud6, Hound05, and #55PirateFan here is my pick Jackson Hensley. Now for you guys know the reason why, he will always be my player of the year fo 2019. You guys have your opinions and I have mine. Biased you think, no not me.

You won’t receive any grief from me!! Very special player. I’m sure he’ll look back and know just how amazing it all was and how you were there for it!!
blackandgold4life Wrote:I will be the homer here and vote for Smith. If I was voting on college or pro material then Mayer wins hands down. I don’t know all the stats for both but I know Mayer won 2 championships and Smith won 1. Mayer helped his team win a couple of years ago but don’t remember him doing much while smith scored a few tds and a couple of interceptions. This year Mayer played very well and not sure of his stats and gets a W whole smith played good not sure of stats but took a L. Smith stats are out of this world for everybody that says he isn’t big enough and will not make it at the next level and an maybe he won’t but I seen on Twitter where the local radio guy posted his stats but the one that stuck out to me was he finished his career as the only player to be top 5 for TD receptions(2nd) and interceptions(5th).

There’s really no wrong answer to any of this. Don’t blame you for voting Smith. It was a hard decision to pick Mayer over him for me anyways. I might have misspoken on a previous quote. If I did, I meant make it as a professional athlete. Not college. Kid is more than capable of doing that!! That’s an impressive stat. The more I go back and forth between them, it’s almost a coin flip for me between him and Mayer.
Hound05 Wrote:There’s really no wrong answer to any of this. Don’t blame you for voting Smith. It was a hard decision to pick Mayer over him for me anyways. I might have misspoken on a previous quote. If I did, I meant make it as a professional athlete. Not college. Kid is more than capable of doing that!! That’s an impressive stat. The more I go back and forth between them, it’s almost a coin flip for me between him and Mayer.

It's the same way for me Hound. A coin flip is what it almost came down to me doing. I think these two young men's achievements and careers are that close. I won't be mad if either one of them wins it. Both are more than qualified and deserving.
Spud6 Wrote:Absolutely. Within the rules of course.

So I’m unfamiliar with this website format. My hunting forum is a breeze to share pictures even though I often have to “resize” them. I tired a couple different ways and have no clue how to post pictures. Any idea?
So what are the criteria for this award?
Bull got out! Wrote:I wonder why Kentucky doesn't do a Mr. Football for each class, invite all the players to a banquet. Top 3 candidates in each class and then hand out the awards. A great way to get more interest in sports and give some deserving kids some hardware.
The coaches association has picked a player of the year for each class and their Mr.Football will come from one of these 6.
1A - Malachi Corley (ATH), Campbellsville
2A - Kaiya Sheron (QB/DB), Somerset
3A - Jonathan Maher (QB/DB), Fleming County
4A - Reese Smith (WR/DB), Boyle County
5A - Michael Mayer (TE/LB), Covington Catholic
6A - Izayah Cummings (WR), Male
#55PirateFan had a good suggestion. Let's also do a discussion on the big uglies up front. That is the position I played back in the day. People always talk about how important they are to a team's success, but they hardly ever get the recognition they deserve. They truly are the forgotten five. So let's hear it. Who are some of the top lineman in the state?
Woodsman Wrote:So what are the criteria for this award?

Whatever your heart desires woods. For me a couple different things, stats weren’t as important to me as it was their impact on the field. If a player draws multiple defenders his stats aren’t going to be the same as someone at a 1A school playing a weak schedule for example
Hound05 Wrote:Allen doesn’t. The other two do.

I’m sure these guys have an impact on the defensive side of the ball too, but it doesn’t seem like anyone’s factoring it in.
Pages: 1 2