Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beechwood 36 - Corbin 29
I was so wrong in my predictions.

Congratulations Beechwood. Sounded like it was a great game. I was incognito last night and missed all of the games, but this one really sounded like a good one.
Great game between two of the state's best small public-school programs--I hope they keep this series going for a few seasons!

Congrats, Tigers!
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:All due respect to Beechwood, but the #1 team in 3A should not lose to a 1A team no matter how good they are....... Good luck if the Redhounds make it to Belfry for the 3A semifinals... you'll need it..

Belfry still the best team in 3A
You obviously don't know **** about football if you think this loss means anything.
I believe this does prove Corbin is not the number 1 team in 3A however, unless they can bounce back and lay one on Mayfield. Beechwood is a great team, yes but they are not going to beat most of the top teams in 3A. Remember, this is the same team that should have lost to Hazard in the state championship and although Hazard is a great team, anyone who knows Eastern Kentucky football knows Hazard does not compare to Belfry.

Sorry Corbin, but between this and how quickly things turned around in the state semi-final last year... I do not see you putting an end to the drive for five, especially having to travel to Belfry.
Couldn't have explained it any better sir.... I would have to agree with you 100%
I called this wrong
Corbin fans crack me up, with almost every post the try to explain how they are still better than Belfry.
bball_fan Wrote:I believe this does prove Corbin is not the number 1 team in 3A however, unless they can bounce back and lay one on Mayfield. Beechwood is a great team, yes but they are not going to beat most of the top teams in 3A. Remember, this is the same team that should have lost to Hazard in the state championship and although Hazard is a great team, anyone who knows Eastern Kentucky football knows Hazard does not compare to Belfry.

Sorry Corbin, but between this and how quickly things turned around in the state semi-final last year... I do not see you putting an end to the drive for five, especially having to travel to Belfry.

Umm ... paint me confused ... but didn't Beechwood just BEAT the top team in 3A? Therefore .. wouldn't that mean that they CAN beat the top teams in 3A?

Seriously ... Corbin may or may not be the best team in 3A ..... they are definitely one of THE BEST teams in 3A. But isn't there a distinct possibility that since Beechwood beat one of the best teams in 3A .. that they could beat some of the others?

Don't insult Beechwood because you can't see past your dislike for Corbin.

As far as last year goes ... Beechwood beat Hazard. It wasn't an upset ... it was 2 evenly matched teams ... and Beechwood certainly didn't luck into a win. Not to mention ... IF WE ARE TALKING ABOUT LAST YEAR ... THERE MAY BE 4 OR 5 TEAMS THAT COULD HANG WITH BELFRY!! There is no shame in Hazard (or any other team) having trouble with Belfry last year!

Pretty much every person on this site picked Corbin ... and did it in a pretty unrealistic manner (some of the predictions were pretty freaking ridiculous!!!) ... now ... all of the sudden Corbin isn't any good because Beechwood won the game. Good grief! Corbin can flat out play ... they are one heck of a football team and they are very much one of the best teams in 3A.

But heck ... fine by me .... no problem continuing to play the underdog! And I am sure that Corbin will be fine with being an underdog as well.
People will find out the Beechies are pretty darn good. As I said, their kicker was the difference maker, accounting for 9 Beechwood points.
Do the Beechies want to play a top 5 team from 2a? We may find out just how good they are.
mysonis55 Wrote:Do the Beechies want to play a top 5 team from 2a? We may find out just how good they are.

That match up may be a little closer than what people realize.

Until that time ... Beechwood will have to "settle" for the best team in 5A ... CovCath .
The funny thing is, it's always gonna be close when they aren't gonna meet. I was really hoping Corbin would stay undefeated until the Cards got to deal them their first loss.
You mean like in 2007 and 2008 when Mayfield got beatdown by Frankfort and beaten by Crittenden Co before you had a chance to get beaten by Beechwood on their way to the state title?
You see that kind of logic goes both ways!
Wanting some analysis from Single Wing 77, Harold, bcpc to see what they thought of the game.
I think that if Corbin and beechwood play this game ten times Corbin wins 6+. I felt that we were the better team, but they BY FAR played the better game. That's a good bunch of football players and they're very well coached. Keys to the game for me were special teams, line play, and discipline. The kid that kicks for beechwood is one heck of a weapon. He hit three field goals from 30+ yards out. Also think he caught a touchdown too.
Also have to give credit to the offensive line of beechwood. They were able to give the quarterback time to make the deep throws and opened up running lanes for the backs. Defensively numbers 56 and 70 were beasts. Made it tough on Corbin all night long. I think that beechwoods offensive line was possibly the best Corbin has faced or will face all season.

The biggest stat line of the game too me was 20-1 though. That's the difference in penalties called in the game. Corbin had 19 more penalties than beechwood. I don't say that to take anything away from the tigers, I say it to point out their discipline. I think all of the calls except for one were legitimate. I didn't think the personal foul when the kid went to the ground late was a great call, but it was bang-bang and I can't say that it was wrong for sure. Corbin put themselves behind the chains repeatedly. Hard to move the ball when it's first and 15+.

I also felt that Corbin looked really sluggish. I think the "let down" that everyone predicted against Pulaski county came a week late, that coupled with the long bus ride was MAY have been a difference maker. I do like the fact that Corbin kept fighting down two scores with less than two minutes left. They put one into the end zone when it would've been easy to lay down. There is a lot to learn from this loss but there is also a lot to build on.

Thanks to beechwood for being great hosts, and I would like to compliment you guys on a beautiful campus and field. I look forward to the game next year, and wish you all the best of luck.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:I think that if Corbin and beechwood play this game ten times Corbin wins 6+. I felt that we were the better team, but they BY FAR played the better game. That's a good bunch of football players and they're very well coached. Keys to the game for me were special teams, line play, and discipline. The kid that kicks for beechwood is one heck of a weapon. He hit three field goals from 30+ yards out. Also think he caught a touchdown too.
Also have to give credit to the offensive line of beechwood. They were able to give the quarterback time to make the deep throws and opened up running lanes for the backs. Defensively numbers 56 and 70 were beasts. Made it tough on Corbin all night long. I think that beechwoods offensive line was possibly the best Corbin has faced or will face all season.

The biggest stat line of the game too me was 20-1 though. That's the difference in penalties called in the game. Corbin had 19 more penalties than beechwood. I don't say that to take anything away from the tigers, I say it to point out their discipline. I think all of the calls except for one were legitimate. I didn't think the personal foul when the kid went to the ground late was a great call, but it was bang-bang and I can't say that it was wrong for sure. Corbin put themselves behind the chains repeatedly. Hard to move the ball when it's first and 15+.

I also felt that Corbin looked really sluggish. I think the "let down" that everyone predicted against Pulaski county came a week late, that coupled with the long bus ride was MAY have been a difference maker. I do like the fact that Corbin kept fighting down two scores with less than two minutes left. They put one into the end zone when it would've been easy to lay down. There is a lot to learn from this loss but there is also a lot to build on.

Thanks to beechwood for being great hosts, and I would like to compliment you guys on a beautiful campus and field. I look forward to the game next year, and wish you all the best of luck.

Well said buddy! Classy post! The Hounds will be just fine.
20-1. Dang.
This is why I don't predict scores on here in games like this. I may throw out a funny score when you know a team will blow out another or when it's two teams I've personally seen.
In this case I just wasn't buying that Corbin would beat Beechwood, and definitely not blow them out. TBH from what I've seen so far, Corbin was quite a bit better last year. If you take Sizemore out or he gets injured im not sure they could regularly score against mediocre teams much less the top teams around the state.
That's just an honest opinion from an unbiased prospective.
Let's not forget however that in this state the talent between a 1A and even 5A school in most cases is very little do to how many rural schools there are that consolidated. Look at what hazard has done to the 5A teams they've played. This Beechwood win doesn't surprise me at all, but I honestly expected Corbin to pull out a close one.
ky playmaker Wrote:20-1. Dang.

Corbin has had way more penalties than the other team in 3 of the 4 games, which tells me they need to be more disciplined.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:You mean like in 2007 and 2008 when Mayfield got beatdown by Frankfort and beaten by Crittenden Co before you had a chance to get beaten by Beechwood on their way to the state title?
You see that kind of logic goes both ways!

Don't see it goes both ways at all. 95, 02, 09, 10, 11, 13 & 14, Bwood had the chances. Never happened. Only 1 was close.
The Spread Wrote:Get Belfry away from West Virginia and they aren't nearly as good either 😎
:hilarious:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Etown is loaded.. they lost to a very good CAL team but they are definitely capable of beating Boyle out west

Boyle is the only competition to Corbin. E-Town is overrated.
I'm not sure about the best offensive line Corbin will face this year. You got a veteran offensive line that averages 270 lbs coming to see the hounds at Austin Peay. 4 of the 5 are seniors and the remaining one is a junior. Then, you will most likely see Belfry at some point.
mysonis55 Wrote:Do the Beechies want to play a top 5 team from 2a? We may find out just how good they are.

stay on topic.
pjdoug Wrote:Boyle is the only competition to Corbin. E-Town is overrated.

Stay on topic!!!
Well let's see, the 95 game was 28-27, the 02 game was 14-7, the 11 game was 19-14, and the 14 game was 28-24 with 4 mins left until a late pick 6 made it 35-24. If those aren't considered close games, then I'm not sure what you were watching.
My point was, Beechwood made it to the semis every year with the exception of 2013. Some of those years were not real great Beechwood teams, and in those years Mayfield beat Beechwood soundly. In the years where Mayfield wasn't great, they lost to a good Frankfort team and a highly average Crittenden Co team, and both of those teams were crushed by Beechwood the following week. To your point, yes, Mayfield has beaten Beechwood every time they have played them, but several have been close games, and Mayfield saved themselves 2 losses to Beechwood by losing before they had to face them.
Impressive win for Beechwood over one of the top 2 or 3 teams in 3A. Big Congrats!
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:Well let's see, the 95 game was 28-27, the 02 game was 14-7, the 11 game was 19-14, and the 14 game was 28-24 with 4 mins left until a late pick 6 made it 35-24. If those aren't considered close games, then I'm not sure what you were watching.
My point was, Beechwood made it to the semis every year with the exception of 2013. Some of those years were not real great Beechwood teams, and in those years Mayfield beat Beechwood soundly. In the years where Mayfield wasn't great, they lost to a good Frankfort team and a highly average Crittenden Co team, and both of those teams were crushed by Beechwood the following week. To your point, yes, Mayfield has beaten Beechwood every time they have played them, but several have been close games, and Mayfield saved themselves 2 losses to Beechwood by losing before they had to face them.

Before you go telling everyone just how good Beechwood is, watch the results of the game a week from Friday. On a neutral field, so both teams will have to travel. I just like how Beechwood all of a sudden became world beaters again now that someone moved out of their way. 7-0 is 7-0.
Not telling you how great Beechwood is, and yes 7-0 is 7-0. You won em all, but don't say that 6 of 7 were blowouts.
Nobody on this thread gives a crap about the history of beechwood and mayfield. It would be a great topic for its own thread. I'd read it and may even ask a few questions. No denying that both of you are great programs and have butted heads many times. Please stay on topic and take this fight to another thread.