Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County coaching search
dawg fan Wrote:At most if not all schools the coach is also a teacher/employee of the school, cecil is not leaving his job as assistant principal, so if they hire someone outside of the system it would mean a teacher is going to lose their job to make room for them and probably their wife too. There is a lot more to look at when you hire from outside your own school system.

Not sure why you say this. Just like any profession, retirements and transfers happen in every school system every year. I would be willing to bet that the LC school system will have between 2-6 teachers from elementary to high school that will either transfer to another county or retire each year, opening up positions to bring people in from outside.
nate mcpeek would be a good fit for LC. leave the uncle behind and go after him. great young coach!!
Is this mcpeek one of the ones involved in the Fairview deal?
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Not sure why you say this. Just like any profession, retirements and transfers happen in every school system every year. I would be willing to bet that the LC school system will have between 2-6 teachers from elementary to high school that will either transfer to another county or retire each year, opening up positions to bring people in from outside.

Probably true, but I would much rather them hire a great teacher than great football coach, if they get both in one hire that would be good. Just my opinion but I would rather see a LC alumni get the job than an outsider, always believed in supporting and promoting your own.
I've heard Adam Turner's name in this discussion.
WildDawg Wrote:If you consider Dontae Wright a slam dunk hire how can you question Short's age and experience? Alan is 2-3 years older than Dontae and has more experience at the high school level. Jason Michael or Gerad Parker on the other hand would be a slam dunk hire but we both know that's not happening. The best man for the job is Alan. He needs a defensive coordinator but offensively LC will be fine. Next year will be a rebuilding year so that's something LC fans will have to accept.

Alan and Dontae were on the same team during the 1999 season and I know very well that they are close in age.
I would also question Dontae's age as a head coach but don't stand there and try to tell me that Dontae doesn't have more experience at coaching because he does and don't act like you wouldn't love to see him come because you would. Also how would Jason or Gerad be a slam dunk over either Alan or Dontae, is it because they coach at Perdue and the NFL.? Honestly I would love to see both on the sideline, I think Dontae could build one hell of a defense.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:So, you believe that with a different head coach that LC would have beaten Belfry in the regional finals?

Secondly, what makes you think Wright is a "slam dunk" hire? Because he's coached at the college level? That makes someone a "slam dunk" hire? To me, that makes someone a huge risk. He's been around college level skill players and ages. Coming in and dealing with lesser talented KIDS, and not being use to it would be a risk.

The job needs to go to someone who has the experience dealing with this level of players.

For your first question, I have no idea if another coaching staff could beat Belfry or not . I never said anything about Belfry. Yes I do think there are a lot of better coaching staff out there then what we have had the last few years. If you could not see with your own two eyes how poor this teams fundamentals have been the last several years then you must be blind or you've forgotten what good tough, sound football looks like. Yes I absolutely believe we had more talent then what it looked like that got wasted to some degree. But since you want to bring Belfry into this then think about this one. Take that game we just had against belfry and tell me what team was more sound and better coached and prepared. Belfry don't have all kinds of elite D1 track star all Americans like some want to believe they do what they do with the exact kids that we have. The only thing they have that we don't is a coach who knows how to build a program and keep it strong who has surrounded himself with other people who have the same talent and goals. Regardless of what some people want to belive all head coaches and coaching staff are not created equally just because it's high school. Calm down dude because if you read my post I said I like Alan and I think he will do a fine job. He might just build this program up for a few years and get us back to playing the kind of football we should be playing.
Do-double-gg Wrote:Alan and Dontae were on the same team during the 1999 season and I know very well that they are close in age.
I would also question Dontae's age as a head coach but don't stand there and try to tell me that Dontae doesn't have more experience at coaching because he does and don't act like you wouldn't love to see him come because you would. Also how would Jason or Gerad be a slam dunk over either Alan or Dontae, is it because they coach at Perdue and the NFL.? Honestly I would love to see both on the sideline, I think Dontae could build one hell of a defense.

That is the craziest thing I have heard. Shows your level of IQ with football knowledge. Jason michaels is the offensive coordinator for the Tennessee Titans. Gerad Parker is recruiting/WR coach for Purdue (not Perdue), and Dontae has accepted a job with Tennessee Tech as LB's/special teams. Those candidates have good positions because they excel in leadership qualities, knowledges of X's and O's, developing players, etc. All tho every candidate that you have listed would never take the LC job, they would be absolute "slam dunks" because of the attributes they bring to young kids. They can show younger talent what it takes to be on the road for success at the upper levels. Those 3 individuals have moved up in the ranks and succeeded because of their roots at Lawrence County. Alan is no different, he played at Lawrence and has worked his way up the ranks to get back to where he loves. I'm not saying that he is the best canadiate and will bring a state title to Lawrence but I question if he has the "IT" factor and vision to reach those young men And take them to the next level. A head coach is a leader and will the kids follow him, respect him, listen to him? Offensive coordinator sitting in the booth is a lot different that running the ship. If he can do that then he should get the job because he is the best Canadiate. But comparing coaching resumes/experience/what they can bring to the Lawrence program is Apple to Oranges in this situation.
Do-double-gg Wrote:For your first question, I have no idea if another coaching staff could beat Belfry or not . I never said anything about Belfry. Yes I do think there are a lot of better coaching staff out there then what we have had the last few years. If you could not see with your own two eyes how poor this teams fundamentals have been the last several years then you must be blind or you've forgotten what good tough, sound football looks like. Yes I absolutely believe we had more talent then what it looked like that got wasted to some degree. But since you want to bring Belfry into this then think about this one. Take that game we just had against belfry and tell me what team was more sound and better coached and prepared. Belfry don't have all kinds of elite D1 track star all Americans like some want to believe they do what they do with the exact kids that we have. The only thing they have that we don't is a coach who knows how to build a program and keep it strong who has surrounded himself with other people who have the same talent and goals. Regardless of what some people want to belive all head coaches and coaching staff are not created equally just because it's high school. Calm down dude because if you read my post I said I like Alan and I think he will do a fine job. He might just build this program up for a few years and get us back to playing the kind of football we should be playing.

For a person that "likes" someone, you sure have a different way of expressing it. Confusednicker: You pretty much blasted Cecil and Short in your post, and follow it up with "I like Alan and I think he will do a fine job". But you don't think he did a "fine job" with the "talent" you claim was better than the results?

This leads me to my second point. So what, LC lost a games or two they should have won. However, when did the season end? Regional title game against Belfry, correct? Now, if LC had won those games they dropped (ex. Raceland), what would have been the difference? The result would have been the same, a loss to Belfry in the regional title game.

And if you truly think that the only reason Belfry is better is because of expectations and coaching, then you are crazy. I was at the Belfry games. I saw what they put on the field compared to what we did. Although we had a few guys who had more speed than Belfry's players, their size is/was unreal. I guess they got bigger because of "expectations" and not genetics? Confusednicker:
Do-double-gg Wrote:Alan and Dontae were on the same team during the 1999 season and I know very well that they are close in age.
I think Dontae could build a good defense too. If any of the home grown boys get the job LC will be fine.
0ff The Chain Wrote:Well this was VERY unexpected. I would like to personally thank coach Cecil for his hard work and dedication to the football program and to the kids in Lawrence county. There is always a lot of pressure that comes with coaching at LC and I hope that didn't lead to this situation because he has done a great job. If coach Short decides to put his hat in for the job then I hope he gets it. He is a young coach but I think he would do a fine job. Good luck to coach Cecil in whatever he decides to do after this and thank you.
I agree
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:For a person that "likes" someone, you sure have a different way of expressing it. Confusednicker: You pretty much blasted Cecil and Short in your post, and follow it up with "I like Alan and I think he will do a fine job". But you don't think he did a "fine job" with the "talent" you claim was better than the results?

This leads me to my second point. So what, LC lost a games or two they should have won. However, when did the season end? Regional title game against Belfry, correct? Now, if LC had won those games they dropped (ex. Raceland), what would have been the difference? The result would have been the same, a loss to Belfry in the regional title game.

And if you truly think that the only reason Belfry is better is because of expectations and coaching, then you are crazy. I was at the Belfry games. I saw what they put on the field compared to what we did. Although we had a few guys who had more speed than Belfry's players, their size is/was unreal. I guess they got bigger because of "expectations" and not genetics? Confusednicker:

You know exactly what I mean. Belfry don't have a bunch of D1 superstars like some think. We have a lot of talent and size walking the halls that don't even play football. When you have a winning program with a lot of tradition and a coaching staff the kids love to play for you get more kids to play that usually don't. Show me where I blasted anyone. You people are pretty sensitive and if you call anything I said blasting someone then you are a little over sensitive and you might want to go get that checked out. I said nothing close to negative about coach Short, Cecil was the head man of this program and all blame for any problems rests squarely on his shoulders. All I ever said was that I don't think Cecil is the caliber of coach who can take a program to the next level. I said that the day he took the job and I stand behind that today. Show me how any of that is personal or blasting anyone you big crybaby.
inspiron Wrote:That is the craziest thing I have heard. Shows your level of IQ with football knowledge. Jason michaels is the offensive coordinator for the Tennessee Titans. Gerad Parker is recruiting/WR coach for Purdue (not Perdue), and Dontae has accepted a job with Tennessee Tech as LB's/special teams. Those candidates have good positions because they excel in leadership qualities, knowledges of X's and O's, developing players, etc. All tho every candidate that you have listed would never take the LC job, they would be absolute "slam dunks" because of the attributes they bring to young kids. They can show younger talent what it takes to be on the road for success at the upper levels. Those 3 individuals have moved up in the ranks and succeeded because of their roots at Lawrence County. Alan is no different, he played at Lawrence and has worked his way up the ranks to get back to where he loves. I'm not saying that he is the best canadiate and will bring a state title to Lawrence but I question if he has the "IT" factor and vision to reach those young men And take them to the next level. A head coach is a leader and will the kids follow him, respect him, listen to him? Offensive coordinator sitting in the booth is a lot different that running the ship. If he can do that then he should get the job because he is the best Canadiate. But comparing coaching resumes/experience/what they can bring to the Lawrence program is Apple to Oranges in this situation.

Yes Jason does coach in the NFL and yes Gerad is at Purdue but that don't mean that they could do any better with high school kids then either Alan or Dontae. Don't get me wrong I would love to see any of those guys come but they all have bigger fish to fry right now. I believe Dontae would be our best shot out of the bunch but I doubt he would want to do it right now either. I fully expect to see one of those guys on the Bulldogs sideline at some point years down the road when their NFL or college careers are done but for now I think Alan is the man for the job. Heck we are doing all this talk and someone way out of left field might get the job.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I think Shawn Hager is a candidate.

This is not happening. I talked no him personally today and he said no.
Randy Vanderhoof ??????
Do-double-gg Wrote:This is not happening. I talked no him personally today and he said no.

For what it's worth he was rocking some Prestonsburg Blackcat football gear when I saw him.
Do-double-gg Wrote:For what it's worth he was rocking some Prestonsburg Blackcat football gear when I saw him.

Duh! That's where he coaches at. Why wouldn't he be "rocking" it? :Thumbs:

And the "size in the hallways" you speak of, how do you know this? Are you a teacher? Hmmm.......
Do-double-gg Wrote:Yes Jason does coach in the NFL and yes Gerad is at Purdue but that don't mean that they could do any better with high school kids then either Alan or Dontae. Don't get me wrong I would love to see any of those guys come but they all have bigger fish to fry right now. I believe Dontae would be our best shot out of the bunch but I doubt he would want to do it right now either. I fully expect to see one of those guys on the Bulldogs sideline at some point years down the road when their NFL or college careers are done but for now I think Alan is the man for the job. Heck we are doing all this talk and someone way out of left field might get the job.

You could have had Lombardi there and LC wasn't going to beat Belfry with the run of talent they have.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Duh! That's where he coaches at. Why wouldn't he be "rocking" it? :Thumbs:

And the "size in the hallways" you speak of, how do you know this? Are you a teacher? Hmmm.......

Well give him a cookie, he knew something I didn't, I am truly in awe. I ran into him at the Inez pizza stop and that was the first time I've talked to the man in probably 3 years and I don't keep up with prestonsburg football much. Anyway he acted like he had no interest and honestly acted surprised like he had never even been contacted. As for the size in the hallways, I went to school at Lawrence County and it has always been that way. Every year you have a bunch of size and talent walking the halls, some of who play other sports. Some of those people play football when they are younger and you ask why not anymore they say one of two things. I don't like playing for the coach we have now or we suck so why put in all that work just to get embarrassed. It's a proven fact that if you have coaches that the kids love playing for and have respect for and they feel they have a shot at winning something you will get a lot more kids playing.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:Randy Vanderhoof ??????

Not gonna happen
School Admin. Wrote:You could have had Lombardi there and LC wasn't going to beat Belfry with the run of talent they have.

I have no proof that we could and you can't prove that we couldn't . Here is what I do know. The fundamentals of our team have been way down the last several years and we have been playing some very unsound football at times. I feel like we had some pretty good size, speed and talent the last few years. Who is to say that a better coaching staff working with that same group of kids for three or four years couldn't get better results the last two seasons. You people are way too caught up with Belfry. They bleed red just like you and me. The line up with sound fundamentals play after play, they run it right at you and dare you to stop it and they put you to sleep with 3 to 4 yards of perfectly blocked runs all game. That can be done anywhere. It was done here in the 90's and I can see clearly the difference. Some start a season just to field a team and stay above 500 and a select few strive for perfection and expect to win everything they touch. The only thing that has separated us from Belfry is coaching and game planning plain and simple. You people sound like little intimidated kids who role up and see the other team and quit if they have some size and numbers. I don't care how much size or talent Belfry had, without that coaching staff they would be average just like us. Who do you think taught all those big boys how to block and tackle and to come together as a team? I guess they were born with it lol. You take all that size off the Belfry lines and put second string in and they still beat us and it wouldn't have anything to do with size or talent but you keep telling yourself whatever makes you feel better.
Belfry has had one kid in the last 2 seasons who stood out to me as a great player with D1 type talent and that is the big defensive lineman who's name escapes me right now and we honestly kept him pretty quiet in the first game this year. Other then that they have a bunch of average kids who just look like stars because they play sound tough football and they were taught how to play this game properly. Honestly I think those guys who run the middle school stuff have been doing a pretty good job and I expect to start seeing some better taught kids but will it carry over to the high school level because that is another thing programs like Belfry do right, they run their little league and middle school stuff well. I think that has a lot to do with kids being fundamentally sound so I don't lay all the blame on the varsity coaches.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I have no proof that we could and you can't prove that we couldn't . Here is what I do know. The fundamentals of our team have been way down the last several years and we have been playing some very unsound football at times. I feel like we had some pretty good size, speed and talent the last few years. Who is to say that a better coaching staff working with that same group of kids for three or four years couldn't get better results the last two seasons. You people are way too caught up with Belfry. They bleed red just like you and me. The line up with sound fundamentals play after play, they run it right at you and dare you to stop it and they put you to sleep with 3 to 4 yards of perfectly blocked runs all game. That can be done anywhere. It was done here in the 90's and I can see clearly the difference. Some start a season just to field a team and stay above 500 and a select few strive for perfection and expect to win everything they touch. The only thing that has separated us from Belfry is coaching and game planning plain and simple. You people sound like little intimidated kids who role up and see the other team and quit if they have some size and numbers. I don't care how much size or talent Belfry had, without that coaching staff they would be average just like us. Who do you think taught all those big boys how to block and tackle and to come together as a team? I guess they were born with it lol. You take all that size off the Belfry lines and put second string in and they still beat us and it wouldn't have anything to do with size or talent but you keep telling yourself whatever makes you feel better.

Is that right? Well, let me ask you a few questions.. 1. You mentioned the fundamentals were not there and some "unsound" football. Please tell me how you know this and what they should have been doing and why? LOL you made the comment that Belfry lines up, blocks perfectly, and gets 3 or 4 yards a play and it can be done anywhere? LOL, OK, please explain how that can be done? You mentioned the 90's when Chuke was there, yes, they were very good, they had MUCH better overall player than L.C. has had the last few years, but they still didn't win it all. Belfry might not have a squad of D1 talent, but they are excellent, deep, hard-nosed players. I feel like this run of kids does have a couple of D1 players, but that doesn't necessarily make a great H.S. team. Anyway, please answer my questions.
One other thing, please tell me your "game plan" vs. Belfry. Describe your offense and defensive schemes and what weaknesses you wish to exploit, both sides of the ball.
dawg fan Wrote:Is this mcpeek one of the ones involved in the Fairview deal?

In response to this, I Feel strongly that Nate was not innocent in anything, BUT, I dont thing he was guilty of anything other than turning a blind eye or ignoring anything that was going on. Now, he should have been and was called out on that, not saying that that is okay. But things were going on before he got there and unless Fred Ray continues doing what he is doing and keeping things in line, it will eventually happen again with Music there. With all of that said, I think Nate would be a good hire for LC. No matter what anyone says, he is a good guy and a great football coach. And this is all coming from a Raceland guy. Either way I think LC will be fine moving foward. Their "drop off" wont stem from him leaving, it will be from a loss of the talent they have had over the last few years. A few .500-.700 years coming up for the Dawgs, but they will still be competitive and be back in the talk of regional title apperances AT THE LEAST, in a few years.
School Admin. Wrote:One other thing, please tell me your "game plan" vs. Belfry. Describe your offense and defensive schemes and what weaknesses you wish to exploit, both sides of the ball.

LC wasn't getting beat by Belfry because LC was getting out coached so badly. Belfry was just a MUCH better football team. Cecil is a good coach. There is nothing LC could do against that Belfry running game. It wasn't lack of game planning. Belfry had the best offensive line in all of 3A and arguably any class.

Alan has put in his time at LC and his hiring should be a no brainier, IMO. That offense was very good and Alan was the brains behind it.
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Not gonna happen

I agree 100%. Hoof is already back involved with the Raceland Football program. On a much lower level, by his own choosing, helping in the junior high and freshman and sitting in the pressbox on fridays, and from the horses mouth "i love where i am at and having a blast, less pressure, less stress". He is also a long time skipper for the baseball team and thats not ending any time soon either.
Though any team in this state would be lucky to have that crazy, absolutely most original one line slinger, and all around great man on their staff.
Dontae Wright recently took a new job at Tennessee Tech in the last few weeks.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:In response to this, I Feel strongly that Nate was not innocent in anything, BUT, I dont thing he was guilty of anything other than turning a blind eye or ignoring anything that was going on. Now, he should have been and was called out on that, not saying that that is okay. But things were going on before he got there and unless Fred Ray continues doing what he is doing and keeping things in line, it will eventually happen again with Music there. With all of that said, I think Nate would be a good hire for LC. No matter what anyone says, he is a good guy and a great football coach. And this is all coming from a Raceland guy. Either way I think LC will be fine moving foward. Their "drop off" wont stem from him leaving, it will be from a loss of the talent they have had over the last few years. A few .500-.700 years coming up for the Dawgs, but they will still be competitive and be back in the talk of regional title apperances AT THE LEAST, in a few years.

Don't think LC would even consider the hire if they have had any involvement with what went on at Fairview, I would say that most schools would feel the same way.