Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lawrence County coaching search
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Joey Cecil told players he was stepping down as coach.
What happen?
They lose a lot next year, Does anyone from Lawrence co think that might be the reason or something else
Ballbuster Wrote:What happen?

He is the assistant principal at the middle school. I'm sure time became a factor. Lawrence has been on a great run since Salmons 2nd year, and Joey Cecil took off with it. They graduated a ton. He's been very successful for sure.

If their Offensive Coordinator, Alan Short, wants it I hope he gets it. He is from Lawrence County, starred at QB there in the late 90's, had a great career as the QB at Campbellsville University in the early 2000's.

The last three years he has coached up an offense that's averaged over almost 33 points/game, 3,000+ yards rushing and almost 1,500 yards passing. Hire the man if he wants it and I feel without reservation he is the clubhouse leader (as he should ). He IS Lawrence County. He wouldn't be using it to spring board to another job.

Whoever they hire, I hope the fans there (and, on here) support the new coach. Lawrence is going to go through a couple of down years I do believe. But, it's a rural-county program...part of it.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:He is the assistant principal at the middle school. I'm sure time became a factor. Lawrence has been on a great run since Salmons 2nd year, and Joey Cecil took off with it. They graduated a ton. He's been very successful for sure.

If their Offensive Coordinator, Alan Short, wants it I hope he gets it. He is from Lawrence County, starred at QB there in the late 90's, had a great career as the QB at Campbellsville University in the early 2000's.

The last three years he has coached up an offense that's averaged over almost 33 points/game, 3,000+ yards rushing and almost 1,500 yards passing. Hire the man if he wants it and I feel without reservation he is the clubhouse leader (as he should ). He IS Lawrence County. He wouldn't be using it to spring board to another job.

Whoever they hire, I hope the fans there (and, on here) support the new coach. Lawrence is going to go through a couple of down years I do believe. But, it's a rural-county program...part of it.

He is at the high school not middle school, having to keep the students in line all day, then all evening i could see getting old real quick, he has been coaching a long time at east carter and lc may just be time to spend more time with his family, and not so much with the bulldog family. Best wishes to coach and his family.
Well this was VERY unexpected. I would like to personally thank coach Cecil for his hard work and dedication to the football program and to the kids in Lawrence county. There is always a lot of pressure that comes with coaching at LC and I hope that didn't lead to this situation because he has done a great job. If coach Short decides to put his hat in for the job then I hope he gets it. He is a young coach but I think he would do a fine job. Good luck to coach Cecil in whatever he decides to do after this and thank you.
I think the 8th grade coach Tate Smith would be a good consideration for this job as well. He and Nick Meadows has done a great job with the 8th grade program. LC shouldn't have to wait to long to find a coach, they have a few on their staff already that could do the job without having to look elsewhere if indeed those coaches decide to stay and want the job.
anotherfootballnut Wrote:They lose a lot next year, Does anyone from Lawrence co think that might be the reason or something else

LC did lose a lot of seniors but we have a bunch of good players coming back. LC will continue to have winning seasons for quite awhile imo. Not much experience at qb will be the biggest ? and now maybe the question at head coach but I think that will be answered rather quickly. I can't speculate on the exact reason for coach Cecil stepping down but I seriously doubt it would be anything to do with a lack of talent on the team.
I like his explanation on the Independent Online: http://www.dailyindependent.com/sports/c...7415a.html
I would like to thank Coach Cecil for the years he gave LC. I would
also like to wish him the best going forward. Now where do we look for a good coach to take us to the next level. I will not take nothing away from any coaches who presently coach here at LC but I believe we need to search elsewhere. Maybe look at some of these programs like Belfry, Pikeville or JC. These program have to have a DC or a OC that wants to become a head coach. These programs seem to be getting better over the years.
You have a coach on staff, a coordinator at that where not only did he call the offense on Fridays, but the total organization throughout the week and game planning lead to the following the last three years:

-Two Region Finals
-33 pts/game
-3K+ Rushing average the last 3 yrs.
-1,500 Passing the last three
-4,500 total yards avg
-from Lawrence County
-played at Lawrence County
-great career and record setting college career
-will likely never, ever leave Lawrence County (unlike going out of the county and getting someone where the program might not mean as much and use it as a stepping stone)

...and, you want to look elsewhere? Explain? I get looking outside of your own when things aren't going well, but you all are the exact opposite of that.

Lastly, I don't care who they hire, the next two years are going to be a little rough and rebuilding...going outside WILL NOT fix that.
I do believe they will look outside to fill this position.....at least initially. Won't mention any names at this time....but I it's a definite possibility.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:You have a coach on staff, a coordinator at that where not only did he call the offense on Fridays, but the total organization throughout the week and game planning lead to the following the last three years:

-Two Region Finals
-33 pts/game
-3K+ Rushing average the last 3 yrs.
-1,500 Passing the last three
-4,500 total yards avg
-from Lawrence County
-played at Lawrence County
-great career and record setting college career
-will likely never, ever leave Lawrence County (unlike going out of the county and getting someone where the program might not mean as much and use it as a stepping stone)

...and, you want to look elsewhere? Explain? I get looking outside of your own when things aren't going well, but you all are the exact opposite of that.

Lastly, I don't care who they hire, the next two years are going to be a little rough and rebuilding...going outside WILL NOT fix that.

I agree with you, I know Alan and he is a great guy and would probably keep this team where it has been the last 10 years. (But to take the next step, I don't know if he can do that.) Our strength of schedule has not been great either.
Iron Horse Wrote:I agree with you, I know Alan and he is a great guy and would probably keep this team where it has been the last 10 years. (But to take the next step, I don't know if he can do that.) Our strength of schedule has not been great either.

You think a new hire from the outside is going to beat Belfry? It's not. Saban isn't going to beat Belfry at Lawrence right now.

Strength of schedule is way overrated, if you look at most people's wins...they win over people who win less than them.
If the ultimate decision is based upon relationships and trust with the superintendent....then I believe they will look outside. If that's not as important...then they'll stay within the system
I like to see either short or even go get donate wright. No more outsiders, all they will do is do great and leave. Give one of the hometown boys a shot. Also thanks coach Cecil for doing a great job over the years.
Would Wright even be interested?
That's a good question. It couldn't hurt to ask though lol
Anyone heard anything about who has interest in this coaching position yet? I know it has only been a few days but it seems like this is being played very close to the vest as far as who has showed interest in the job or any possible candidates.
I personally don't know anything going on with the hire but would be shocked if Short doesn't get it
StrayBullet Wrote:I personally don't know anything going on with the hire but would be shocked if Short doesn't get it

I agree, Coach Short deserves to be the next Head Coach.
I think everyone knows my stance on this. I want to start by saying that I have nothing personal against coach Cecil and never have. I have never said anything personal about the man and never will. I did question his ability to be the main man over a program and I still stand by that. I based that from his body of work and success before he got the job. You may not like me saying this, but I feel that what he did accomplish the last few years was held together a lot by the talent on the field. I think this team has had a lot of talent, size and speed the last three or so years that if in different hands at coaching could have done more, that is my opinion and your entitled to yours. I do want to thank coach Cecil for the time he put in and thank him for not letting this program fall apart. It is always a dangerous time for a program when a coach leaves and the team is young and you lose a lot of talent and that brings me to our situation now. We have had a lot of talent the last few seasons, but from 2014 to the end of 2015 we have lost well over 30 seniors. We are going to be very young and inexperienced next season and I hope and pray that they step up and make a good hire. I would love to see a slam dunk hire like a Dontae Wright but I find that highly unlikely. If they do hire coach short I do question his age and experience, but I would have zero problems with it and would stand behind him. Sometimes I think it's good to get a young guy who has played recently, someone the kids can relate too, it just might be the kickstart this program has been looking for. Sometimes I wander if he was ever allowed to turn that offense loose like he wanted too. If he does get the job I hope he goes out and finds someone who can coach the hell out of some defense because defense has been our big problem for quite some time.
I think Shawn Hager is a candidate.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I think everyone knows my stance on this. I want to start by saying that I have nothing personal against coach Cecil and never have. I have never said anything personal about the man and never will. I did question his ability to be the main man over a program and I still stand by that. I based that from his body of work and success before he got the job. You may not like me saying this, but I feel that what he did accomplish the last few years was held together a lot by the talent on the field. I think this team has had a lot of talent, size and speed the last three or so years that if in different hands at coaching could have done more, that is my opinion and your entitled to yours. I do want to thank coach Cecil for the time he put in and thank him for not letting this program fall apart. It is always a dangerous time for a program when a coach leaves and the team is young and you lose a lot of talent and that brings me to our situation now. We have had a lot of talent the last few seasons, but from 2014 to the end of 2015 we have lost well over 30 seniors. We are going to be very young and inexperienced next season and I hope and pray that they step up and make a good hire. I would love to see a slam dunk hire like a Dontae Wright but I find that highly unlikely. If they do hire coach short I do question his age and experience, but I would have zero problems with it and would stand behind him. Sometimes I think it's good to get a young guy who has played recently, someone the kids can relate too, it just might be the kickstart this program has been looking for. Sometimes I wander if he was ever allowed to turn that offense loose like he wanted too. If he does get the job I hope he goes out and finds someone who can coach the hell out of some defense because defense has been our big problem for quite some time.
If you consider Dontae Wright a slam dunk hire how can you question Short's age and experience? Alan is 2-3 years older than Dontae and has more experience at the high school level. Jason Michael or Gerad Parker on the other hand would be a slam dunk hire but we both know that's not happening. The best man for the job is Alan. He needs a defensive coordinator but offensively LC will be fine. Next year will be a rebuilding year so that's something LC fans will have to accept.
The next couple years will be rebuilding years IMO.

The college thing is memorizing to most. It's incorrectly an automatic qualifier (nothing against Dontae).
Do-double-gg Wrote:I think everyone knows my stance on this. I want to start by saying that I have nothing personal against coach Cecil and never have. I have never said anything personal about the man and never will. I did question his ability to be the main man over a program and I still stand by that. I based that from his body of work and success before he got the job. You may not like me saying this, but I feel that what he did accomplish the last few years was held together a lot by the talent on the field. I think this team has had a lot of talent, size and speed the last three or so years that if in different hands at coaching could have done more, that is my opinion and your entitled to yours. I do want to thank coach Cecil for the time he put in and thank him for not letting this program fall apart. It is always a dangerous time for a program when a coach leaves and the team is young and you lose a lot of talent and that brings me to our situation now. We have had a lot of talent the last few seasons, but from 2014 to the end of 2015 we have lost well over 30 seniors. We are going to be very young and inexperienced next season and I hope and pray that they step up and make a good hire. I would love to see a slam dunk hire like a Dontae Wright but I find that highly unlikely. If they do hire coach short I do question his age and experience, but I would have zero problems with it and would stand behind him. Sometimes I think it's good to get a young guy who has played recently, someone the kids can relate too, it just might be the kickstart this program has been looking for. Sometimes I wander if he was ever allowed to turn that offense loose like he wanted too. If he does get the job I hope he goes out and finds someone who can coach the hell out of some defense because defense has been our big problem for quite some time.

So, you believe that with a different head coach that LC would have beaten Belfry in the regional finals?

Secondly, what makes you think Wright is a "slam dunk" hire? Because he's coached at the college level? That makes someone a "slam dunk" hire? To me, that makes someone a huge risk. He's been around college level skill players and ages. Coming in and dealing with lesser talented KIDS, and not being use to it would be a risk.

The job needs to go to someone who has the experience dealing with this level of players.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:The next couple years will be rebuilding years IMO.

The college thing is memorizing to most. It's incorrectly an automatic qualifier (nothing against Dontae).

*memorizing not MEMOrizing.
I give up. Mesmerizing bahahahaha
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I think Shawn Hager is a candidate.

Now this may be interesting. I think Shawn would do a good job at LC.
At most if not all schools the coach is also a teacher/employee of the school, cecil is not leaving his job as assistant principal, so if they hire someone outside of the system it would mean a teacher is going to lose their job to make room for them and probably their wife too. There is a lot more to look at when you hire from outside your own school system.
Pages: 1 2 3 4