Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 2016
RAMDAD50 Wrote:I hate the spread as well Thinblueline.Youhave to have 3 or 4 of the best players on the field to be successful at it.One thing I know about TJ is that the whole time he was at Raceland he never won a game he had to coach to win. Every win he had Raceland was the better team. He never won one when the opponent was as good or just a little better then Raceland.I told a friend of mine who is a Russell fan to give it 4 years and you will see what most of the Ram fans have been bitching about.And please.... Nobody come on here and say he got Racelands first regional championship because that had to do with the level of competition Raceland has played lately compared to the competition they use to have to play.

Guess the 2013 Ram team was just a bunch of pansies compared to the great Rams of previous years.

Even if you don't think the coaching earned the Regional Title, give the players a tiny bit of credit.
That's not what I'm saying Boogie.We have had good teams and coaches over the years but the competition has been watered down.Thats all
RAMDAD50 I could not agree with you more on this subject!!! TJ must go back to an under center offense, unless the next Joe Montana moves to Flatwoods between now and next fall. The wing-T always will be an excellent high school offense. The problem towards the end of the Ivan era was that Mike Jones was no longer the offensive Coordinator. Whatever TJ decides to do he needs to get rid of the current OC, whoever that may be, and he needs to give Gary Morris back control over the defense. Gary Morris has produced some of, if the not the best, defensive teams in school history.
And to THECOACHER they mighs well have cancelled the season. When I played losing to Fleming County was not even remotely possibly and even now should not be acceptable at Russell, especially at home. It's just a measuring stick to just how far Russell has fallen.
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:And to THECOACHER they mighs well have cancelled the season. When I played losing to Fleming County was not even remotely possibly and even now should not be acceptable at Russell, especially at home. It's just a measuring stick to just how far Russell has fallen.

Not sure when you played but you are right that was probably the case. I don't think alot of area and especially district teams thought they could compete with Russell for a long time. The thing is now that area teams are improving. For example, West Carter had a really good team this year. Lewis County has had some competitive teams and a really good team a few years back. Greenup is improving. Kids are starting to believe that they can beat the big R!
But, with that being said, Russell is still the top dog in the district and one of the top in the area. Few teams can say that they beat them on a regular basis. Most district teams own only a couple or less wins over them all time. I think some of you are bailing on Coach Maynard a little too soon. Give him more than 2 seasons to decide whether his systems can work at Russell.
Hey coacher......I know one area team that can say they beat Russell the last 7 times they played them...cough cough. ������ HAHAHAHA
RAMDAD50 Wrote:Hey coacher......I know one area team that can say they beat Russell the last 7 times they played them...cough cough. ������ HAHAHAHA

Always an exception to every rule!
thecoacher Wrote:Not sure when you played but you are right that was probably the case. I don't think alot of area and especially district teams thought they could compete with Russell for a long time. The thing is now that area teams are improving. For example, West Carter had a really good team this year. Lewis County has had some competitive teams and a really good team a few years back. Greenup is improving. Kids are starting to believe that they can beat the big R!
But, with that being said, Russell is still the top dog in the district and one of the top in the area. Few teams can say that they beat them on a regular basis. Most district teams own only a couple or less wins over them all time. I think some of you are bailing on Coach Maynard a little too soon. Give him more than 2 seasons to decide whether his systems can work at Russell.

I have to agree here. But to speak on the Flemming County topic, Russell out gained them in both rushing and passing in that game. The thing that gets me is the last 5 years or so of McGlone's time at Russell, all anyone one talked about was his prehistoric style of offense, it was predictable, one demensional, and in effective. Now all of a sudden, they throw too much, spread the field too often, and dont run the football enough, btw, in yards from scrimmaged its nearly 2:1 (rushing:passing), over the last two seasons. Russell started slipping while Ivan was still there, it just takes time. Russell has a regional championship and a district title in TJs first two years at HC. The defensive toughness seems to be the issue to me. Not nearly as physical as the Red Devils were at their pick in the 2000s.
I think everbody is wrong about " everyone is getting better" comment.I think Russell and a lot of other teams are just not as good as they used to be.Football as a whole in the state is not as strong as it use to be.We have watered it down with the 6 classes and kids are not taking as much interest in it as they use to.I would love to know what the over all number of kids participating in varsity football now compared to 10 years ago for the whole state.Scotty.....sounds like a job for you Hehehehe
I dont think the kids interest has dropped at Russell as much as the schools interest has. Which seems to be the case in many area schools over the last decade or so, it seems that there arent as many fans traveling as their used to be. When is the last time there were SEVERAL open seats at a Raceland/Fairview game? Which was the case this year. The Russell/Greenup crowd wasnt as big as it usually is either.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:Hey coacher......I know one area team that can say they beat Russell the last 7 times they played them...cough cough. ������ HAHAHAHA

It has actually only been 6 years but still Raceland has had Russell's number the past few years. I agree with your previous post about the level of competition not being as good over the past few years. All of the traditional area powers (Ashland, Ironton, and Russell) have really dropped off over the past 10 years. I remember when those teams played with a chip on their shoulder and kids just don't seem to have a mean spirit on the field which is a key component to being successful in football. The Russell teams from the early to mid 2000's had a killer instinct that seems to be a missing element in their program now.
No way is Russell in the same category as The 80's 90's and early 20's as Ironton or Ashland
From what I am hearing Russell already has their new OC.
Yep, and Rams will need to find a Middle School Football Head Coach. He's gonna be tough to replace. Raceland has probably had the best Middle School record in the area during his coaching era.
His work with the Middle School program has helped keep the High School program playing as well as they have.
anotherfootballnut Wrote:No way is Russell in the same category as The 80's 90's and early 20's as Ironton or Ashland

Honestly none of the area teams on this side of the river was in the same catagory as Ironton during those years. I can't speak for the 80's and early 90's because I don't have access to win loss records but per the KHSAA between 1998 and 2005 (late 90's and early 2000's) Russell was 5-3 against Ashland. All I was saying in the previous post was that Russell has traditionally been one of the better teams in the area.
Raceland seems to have a problem.Now they have two teachers in their school system that coach at another school.I don't think this should be aloud.Lets see if someone at Raceland can get a backbone and put a stop to this.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:Raceland seems to have a problem.Now they have two teachers in their school system that coach at another school.I don't think this should be aloud.Lets see if someone at Raceland can get a backbone and put a stop to this.

I agree 100% .. And especially if what I'm hearing about Francis leaving is true .. He told Raceland he was needed at home more so he couldn't coach anymore but agrees to be oc at Russell . Both him and Floyd should go teach at Russell If they Are gonna coach there
I would be surprised if Mike is still employed at Raceland very much longer
anotherfootballnut Wrote:No way is Russell in the same category as The 80's 90's and early 20's as Ironton or Ashland

Ironton, at their peak, were unmatched by anyone in the entire tri-state area. But, over the past 40 years or so, Ashland and Russell have been on a fairly level playing field. Coach McGlone finished his career at Russell on a six game losing streak to Ashland. Prior to that, he had a winning record against the Tomcats all-time. Russell used to beat Ashland on a regular basis from the late 70's through the mid 00's.

Both schools have multiple state titles, but Russell has consistently gotten deeper in the playoffs than Ashland the past few decades. Russell leads Ashland in playoff wins, 48-36 and has several more regional championships. To say that Russell is not on Ashland's level over the past 40 years is absurd.
anotherfootballnut Wrote:I agree 100% .. And especially if what I'm hearing about Francis leaving is true .. He told Raceland he was needed at home more so he couldn't coach anymore but agrees to be oc at Russell . Both him and Floyd should go teach at Russell If they Are gonna coach there

That is an issue that will be brought up at the next board meeting I am sure. It isnt right, imo. Even though they are at the Det Center, RACELAND HIGH SCHOOL signs and is printed on their paychecks. To me that shows absolutely no loyalty. In regaurds to Mike being HC, he will get time. Raceland doesnt opperate on short term coaching terms. Maynard left on his own terms and as long as long as the Rams have winning records, win the district title every year or atleast every other year and be competitive in the region they wont get rid of him (see Randy Vanderhoofs cosching career).
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:From what I am hearing Russell already has their new OC.

BOOGIE WOOGIE MAN Wrote:Yep, and Rams will need to find a Middle School Football Head Coach. He's gonna be tough to replace. Raceland has probably had the best Middle School record in the area during his coaching era.
His work with the Middle School program has helped keep the High School program playing as well as they have.

Has his move to Russell been made official? Would this potentially mean a slight change in offensive philosophy at Russell?
Not sure if it has been made official or not, BUT, if it is true, your goina see the same offense.
I know Raceland is an independent school district, but I think this is common in some areas. I think in large counties like Jefferson and Fayette people work in and coach at different schools all the time.
At the varsity level coacher??Ive never heard of this before.It can't happen at a place like Raceland.The school is to small.You only have so many teaching positions to offer for people that want to coach. If you allow the teacher to hold a position at your school and coach elsewhere it makes it that much harder to hire a coach/teacher.It needs to be fixed.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:From what I am hearing Russell already has their new OC.
Nope...not happening, and that's all I'll say on this subject.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:That is an issue that will be brought up at the next board meeting I am sure. It isnt right, imo. Even though they are at the Det Center, RACELAND HIGH SCHOOL signs and is printed on their paychecks. To me that shows absolutely no loyalty. In regaurds to Mike being HC, he will get time. Raceland doesnt opperate on short term coaching terms. Maynard left on his own terms and as long as long as the Rams have winning records, win the district title every year or atleast every other year and be competitive in the region they wont get rid of him (see Randy Vanderhoofs cosching career).

Wrong Mike .. Not Mike salmons , Mike francis
I thought of that when i signed in this morning lol. Yesterday was a very long day! I know for a fact though, that atleast 3 board members and several other within the school system are very disapointed, upset, and feel disrespected over everything that is going on, in regaurds to coaches coaching elsewhere and still recieving a RWHS paycheck.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I thought of that when i signed in this morning lol. Yesterday was a very long day! I know for a fact though, that atleast 3 board members and several other within the school system are very disapointed, upset, and feel disrespected over everything that is going on, in regaurds to coaches coaching elsewhere and still recieving a RWHS paycheck.

And they should be ..
RAMDAD50 Wrote:At the varsity level coacher??Ive never heard of this before.It can't happen at a place like Raceland.The school is to small.You only have so many teaching positions to offer for people that want to coach. If you allow the teacher to hold a position at your school and coach elsewhere it makes it that much harder to hire a coach/teacher.It needs to be fixed.

Yes at the varsity level, but I agree it is a different situation at a small school or district. Many districts are reluctant to hire coaches to begin with so you have to take advantage of every opportunity.
Slic Ric Wrote:Nope...not happening, and that's all I'll say on this subject.
Come on slic Ric don't make me deliver a Dusty elbow