Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Can the Red Devils rebound from a disappointing 2015 season? What does Russell need to do to improve in 2016?

Russell only returns one starter on the offensive line and loses a three year starter at QB. Conley returns for what seems like his sixth year at running back and they return a good group of receivers, led by Landon Brewer.

Defensively, Russell must replace a lot of beef on the interior DL. Evan Ison and Maxx Blackburn return at linebacker. The secondary gets back quite a bit, including Conley, Brewer, Boehm, Brinkman, and Caldwell.
Looks to be another down year for the Red Devils. I see definate losses to Ashland and Ironton, more than likely Greenup to as well in the Backyard Brawl. I sometimes wonder if Russell will ever come out of the darkness and reclaim glory of years past when we were serious contenders in our class every year, not to mention the Tomcats have owned us over the last decade.
And let's not forget the Rams either. I remember when I played at Russell back in the days of IVAN the Great (the father of Russell football) we would have loved to been able to play Raceland, but our district was too big, now it's just an embarrassing way to end the season. I'd never thought I'd see a day when Russell was not the best team in Greenup County.
Doesn't matter what Russll does in their district they will never beat belfry .their season will end at belfry every year if they
Make it that far
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Doesn't matter what Russll does in their district they will never beat belfry .their season will end at belfry every year if they
Make it that far

Everyone's season ends at Belfry until the pipeline to Pond Creek shuts off. Hard to beat 2 states at once.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Everyone's season ends at Belfry until the pipeline to Pond Creek shuts off. Hard to beat 2 states at once.

I think one of the biggest factors that people are overlooking when it comes to the Belfry-Russell discussion is population. When I was in school & played at Russell (Mid 80's), we had like 1100 kids. Now because of so many jobs leaving the area, Russell has like 650 kids. That's a huge difference. We legitimately dressed 70 kids, where now they may dress 45-50. You are also not getting the number of quality of athletes coming through the school system that were once there.

I realize that their are job losses in Pike County, but Pike County is a huge county, and Belfry is at least 20 miles away from Pikeville Independent, and Belfry still gets a large number of kids out for football, plus a few from across the river. Also, Russell is basically "playing up" in 3A because population-wise they are a 2A school. If I'm not mistaken they chose to do this to stay in the district that they are currently in. These things make a big difference.

Just my take on the situation.
Slic Ric Wrote:I think one of the biggest factors that people are overlooking when it comes to the Belfry-Russell discussion is population. When I was in school & played at Russell (Mid 80's), we had like 1100 kids. Now because of so many jobs leaving the area, Russell has like 650 kids. That's a huge difference. We legitimately dressed 70 kids, where now they may dress 45-50. You are also not getting the number of quality of athletes coming through the school system that were once there.

I realize that their are job losses in Pike County, but Pike County is a huge county, and Belfry is at least 20 miles away from Pikeville Independent, and Belfry still gets a large number of kids out for football, plus a few from across the river. Also, Russell is basically "playing up" in 3A because population-wise they are a 2A school. If I'm not mistaken they chose to do this to stay in the district that they are currently in. These things make a big difference.

The # of quality athletes have dropped in alot of schools compared to the 70's, 80's, and 90's due to the fact that the younger children are exercising their thumbs in their spare time playing Xbox and Playstation instead of calling up a few friends and getting up a game of Touch Football or Backyard Basketball, etc.
Your better athletes these days are gonna come from the big inner city atmosphere where most can't afford the expensive video games and the kids get out and play backyard sports.
If you'll look at Professional sports, probably 75% of the athletes are from the inner city and probably 60% of college sports is the same way.
Not pointing out a particular ethnic origin, all ethnic groups live amongst each other these days and that's great.
As long as we as parents keep providing these video games to our children, their athletic abilities will continue to decline.
Slic Ric Wrote:I think one of the biggest factors that people are overlooking when it comes to the Belfry-Russell discussion is population. When I was in school & played at Russell (Mid 80's), we had like 1100 kids. Now because of so many jobs leaving the area, Russell has like 650 kids. That's a huge difference. We legitimately dressed 70 kids, where now they may dress 45-50. You are also not getting the number of quality of athletes coming through the school system that were once there.

Russell dressed 80 kids last year. By season's end, the number of players in uniform dwindled a bit due to injuries, but they had the biggest roster they've had in many years in 2015.

Enrollment wise, I think Russell and Belfry are about equal right now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Belfry's enrollment has dropped rapidly in recent years. Their football program just has something special going on down there at the moment.
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:Looks to be another down year for the Red Devils. I see definate losses to Ashland and Ironton, more than likely Greenup to as well in the Backyard Brawl. I sometimes wonder if Russell will ever come out of the darkness and reclaim glory of years past when we were serious contenders in our class every year, not to mention the Tomcats have owned us over the last decade.

The Ashland/Russell game in 2016 should be a good one. Ashland loses a lot of talent from last year's team. As of right now, I could see that game going either way. Ironton loses quite a bit as well. I see Russell winning that one.

With the way Greenup's improving and given how well they've played us lately, that one's probably a coin toss at this point. I expect the Raceland game to be a close one again. The biggest question mark there is line play. Russell loses almost all of their starting linemen, while Raceland returns almost all of theirs.

If Russell's offensive and defensive lines come together nicely and Church plays well at QB, I think Russell could be pretty good next season. With the skill kids returning, Church could put up big numbers in 2016 if he gets the protection he needs.
Thinblueline.......Russell wasn't the best team in Greenup Co back then either.Cant wait for.......what will it be...8 in row???? GO RAMS HAHAHAHAHA
samson81 Wrote:Russell dressed 80 kids last year. By season's end, the number of players in uniform dwindled a bit due to injuries, but they had the biggest roster they've had in many years in 2015.

Enrollment wise, I think Russell and Belfry are about equal right now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Belfry's enrollment has dropped rapidly in recent years. Their football program just has something special going on down there at the moment.

I'm not talking about Freshmen. 25 of those 80 were Freshmen who didn't have an impact in a varsity game. Back in the 70's & 80's Freshmen didn't dress for varsity games & Russell still dressed 70. Of course the school was bigger then because the jobs hadn't played out.
As for Belfry's enrollment, you may be right because I really do not know what it is. I know they had 73 on the roster & I think 25 of those were Freshmen, so I guess the rosters are fairly close. My mistake. I still don't think many (if any) Freshmen have a big impact on Friday nights. Maybe a few. Conley would be an example from a few years ago.
You may be right Samson, maybe there's something in the water down in Pond Creek. I still believe that there's just not as many football "athletes" coming through the school at Russell as there used to be for various reasons.

Russell was actually low-mid 3A in the new alignment. They were 2A playing up before.

My point on the pipeline is that Belfry is over 20 miles from Pikeville but only 2 miles from Williamson. The Wolfpack had great football teams nearly every season. Belfry was good when Williamson was around but from the time that Mingo Central began construction they went from a good program to the Belfry we have come to know over the past 5+ years....and as long as the bridge is open they will not suffer the decline that many eastern Kentucky schools have had and will continue too.
RAMDAD from the years of 2002-2007 Russell without a doubt absolutely was, considering we won 4 regional titles, 2 state title appearances and a state title in 2005. Raceland has had our number since we started playing them again but in those years it would have been a differant story.
Russell lost all there lineman from 2014 team except one and you seen what happen this year Russell has to find some lineman and get faster and stronger and get some overall team speed
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:RAMDAD from the years of 2002-2007 Russell without a doubt absolutely was, considering we won 4 regional titles, 2 state title appearances and a state title in 2005. Raceland has had our number since we started playing them again but in those years it would have been a differant story.

True story there. Even though they weren't in the title game I believe that the 2002 team was the best team that Russell had during that period. If it weren't for a heart breaking one point loss in the semifinals against Breathitt County they would have easily won state as Breathitt County crushed Corbin the next week in the finals. That team was loaded and physically would have hurt Raceland.
This is true Blaze.I was at that Breathitt County game.That Russell team had men on it.Thinblueline......I was just trying to get you going.It worked Hahahaha
Touché RAMDAD touche lol... For Russell offensively they must get back to the basics blocking and balance. I know people don't wanna hear this but under IVAN Russell's offense was more efficient and balanced than they have ever been under the spread with TJ. If you cannot pass the ball efficiently enough to keep the defense honest then the spread will never work against anyone of any count ( ie Belfry, Ashland, Raceland, etc.). Russell under TJ hace struggled on offense significantly because defenses load the box and for some reason TJ thinks 5 can block 7 or 8 cause for some scone reason he refuses to develop solid BLOCKING tight ends. NEWS FLASH YOU WILL NEVER BEAT BELFRY WITHOUT BLOCKING TIGHT ENDS OR A BALANCED OFFENSE. TJ was once a believer in the WingT hell he even beat Russell at Greenup with it.
The reason he had success at Raceland was because Raceland had passing quarterbacks but part of coaching is playing to your strengths. In 2008 the Air Raid at Raceland took a backseat to the bone because Vanderhoof was smart enough to realize what he could best win with but even then Tyler Boles was still efficient enough in the pocket to keep defenses honest.
IMO Russell's best bet is an under center run first power offense with an efficient enough passing game. The run first past later worked for over 4 decades at Russell and it still can no matter how many less athletes. BALANCE, BLOCKING TIGHT ENDS, AND A RETURN TO OLD SCHOOL POWER FOOTBALL is how Russell can regain the success of old.
Let the arguements begin!!!
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:Touché RAMDAD touche lol... For Russell offensively they must get back to the basics blocking and balance. I know people don't wanna hear this but under IVAN Russell's offense was more efficient and balanced than they have ever been under the spread with TJ. If you cannot pass the ball efficiently enough to keep the defense honest then the spread will never work against anyone of any count ( ie Belfry, Ashland, Raceland, etc.). Russell under TJ hace struggled on offense significantly because defenses load the box and for some reason TJ thinks 5 can block 7 or 8 cause for some scone reason he refuses to develop solid BLOCKING tight ends. NEWS FLASH YOU WILL NEVER BEAT BELFRY WITHOUT BLOCKING TIGHT ENDS OR A BALANCED OFFENSE. TJ was once a believer in the WingT hell he even beat Russell at Greenup with it.
The reason he had success at Raceland was because Raceland had passing quarterbacks but part of coaching is playing to your strengths. In 2008 the Air Raid at Raceland took a backseat to the bone because Vanderhoof was smart enough to realize what he could best win with but even then Tyler Boles was still efficient enough in the pocket to keep defenses honest.
IMO Russell's best bet is an under center run first power offense with an efficient enough passing game. The run first past later worked for over 4 decades at Russell and it still can no matter how many less athletes. BALANCE, BLOCKING TIGHT ENDS, AND A RETURN TO OLD SCHOOL POWER FOOTBALL is how Russell can regain the success of old.

The spread offense takes time, you can't abandon it overnight.
Ramcatt77 your absolutely right it does take time, but what I am saying is if you don't have a quaterback that can throw the ball effieciently enough to keep defenses honest then it will never work at all. I would just like the coaching staff to adjust to the talent that they have, which I do not think they did not at all last year.

Defensively the Red Devils will struggle mightley this year. A lack of quality at linebacker and along the defensive line will make for possibly a long season, which is why the offensive calamity needs to get rectified. Defensive starts with attitude and passion, what the Devils will lack in size and experience they will have to make up for in shear guts. The Devils must re-channel the pride of old, and bring back the " DEFEND THE R" concept that IVAN spent his entire to create in Flatwoods.
coach Vanderhoof installed the offense that's still at Raceland and TJ took to Russell , it's a Spread run offense not a spread passing offense. The idea is make the defense cover all 52 yards across the field and not allow a team to load the box . Qb does have to be able to throw some but having big fast athletes at the receiver postion is what makes it successful , quick throws to a receiver and him picking up 10-15 yards on his own forces teams to move the safety that's when the running game opens up
When the spread was first installed at Raceland it was originally intended to be a spread passing offense to add excitement and because the old school wishbone wasn't effective anymore. When it was first introduced Coach Vanderhoof stated that he wanted to throw the ball 40+ times a game. In the early years Raceland was pretty successful with it because it was a novel offense at the time and a lot of defenses had not seen an offense like that before. Raceland also had a good quarterback (Aaron Pettrey) and a lot of targets to throw the ball to.

Over the years it has evolved more into a spread run at Raceland primarily due to the personnel that has come through the program. This system has the potential to be unstoppable if it is designed to accommodate the athletes that come through each year and can easily be oriented as either a primary running attack or passing attack depending on the players that you have in a given year. Russell typically has some good athletes and they can be successful in this offense if it is geared towards using the athletic strengths of the players on the team.
I'm not the biggest fan of the spread, but I think this offense can be successful at Russell if, as has already been said, it's tailored to the personnel the team has that given season. I definitely agree with THINBLUELINE411 about having tight ends to benefit the running game. That's a change I'd like to see the team make next season for sure.

Last year, Russell faced two good defenses(Greenup & Ironton) to start the season and struggled offensively in both games. Jacob McKee got hurt against Ironton and missed a couple of weeks. I really think that stunted the development of the offense and set the team back a bit and they just never fully recovered. McKee was rushed back a little early from injury because Russell faced West Carter in their first district game. The following week was the Fleming Co. debacle. On top of losing the game, Conley got hurt against Fleming, missed the next game and never appeared to be 100% for the remainder of the season. Inconsistent line play and mounting injuries late in the year made it hard to get a read on that team.
Returning Starters/Contributors
#1 Evan Ison RB/LB
#4 Nick Conley RB/S
#11 Nick Caldwell WR/DB
#13 Drey Boehm WR/DB
#17 Austin Church QB
#18 Landon Brewer WR/S
#37 Austin Brinkman RB/WR/DB
#38 Maxx Blackburn RB/LB
#42 Ryan Stump WR/LB/DE
#69 Alex Adams OL/DL
#77 Jacob Pierce OL/DE
So let me get this straight. Russell needs more balance in their offense, like the balance they had running the wing T? I dont follow that logic. Since TJ took over, Russell has Rushed for over 3600 yards in 2014 and over 2600 in 2015. They threw for over 1100 yards in 2014 and over 1400 yards in 2015. Thats a combined total of over 6200 yards rushing and over 2500 yards passing. Offense has not been the issue. Their defense has been the biggest issue, imo. Averaging over 30 points per game and putting up nearly 9,000 yards of total offense, doesnt sound like they had a problem on that side of the ball. Fact is, they are goina suffer at the hands of Belfry in the region, which sucks. But it is what it is. But to blame the offense is beyond my comprehending. Everyone has their opinions though, dont mean to sound harsh or like a douche lol. Just my ten cents on the subject.
Russell might get what the need in new OC Francis.I guess if u can't beat them hire them?????? Hahahaha just kidding guys.
That Russell maroon is starting to look a lot like Raceland orange......JS
Yea Russell's offense is in great shape Scotty Bronson that's why we lost to freakin Fleming County on homecoming this year. I mean Christ were just so much better off now, give me a break!!!! Put down the kool aide, whenever Russell has faced a team with a defense of any slim quality they struggle and look to be in absolute choas. At least when IVAN was there the kids looked like they had a clue. I'm sorry I flat out just don't like the spread at all. Its easy to run all over Lewis and bath county but when I played we ran all over quality opponents n we didn't need no fancy offense to do it.
I hate the spread as well Thinblueline.Youhave to have 3 or 4 of the best players on the field to be successful at it.One thing I know about TJ is that the whole time he was at Raceland he never won a game he had to coach to win. Every win he had Raceland was the better team. He never won one when the opponent was as good or just a little better then Raceland.I told a friend of mine who is a Russell fan to give it 4 years and you will see what most of the Ram fans have been bitching about.And please.... Nobody come on here and say he got Racelands first regional championship because that had to do with the level of competition Raceland has played lately compared to the competition they use to have to play.
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:Yea Russell's offense is in great shape Scotty Bronson that's why we lost to freakin Fleming County on homecoming this year. I mean Christ were just so much better off now, give me a break!!!! Put down the kool aide, whenever Russell has faced a team with a defense of any slim quality they struggle and look to be in absolute choas. At least when IVAN was there the kids looked like they had a clue. I'm sorry I flat out just don't like the spread at all. Its easy to run all over Lewis and bath county but when I played we ran all over quality opponents n we didn't need no fancy offense to do it.

They should have cancelled the season after losing to Fleming County. How dare Fleming County have the audacity to go to Russell and win. LOL
Pages: 1 2 3 4