Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who thinks Mayfield can 5 peat next year?
I drove by the practice field the other day. There was a kid out there kicking. Tall white not Sid. I stopped and watched for a minute. He was doing exceptionally well. Should've got his name
The kicking problem is fixed. They have a Hispanic kid that plays soccer. All I know is they call him Smiley. He is already kicking 45 yard field goals. I did hear earlier that we have 3 kickers though. The word was that they may use 1 for fg, 1 for kicks and 1 for punts. They can use the weakest for punts because we won't have to do that but 1 or 2 times per month.
mysonis55 Wrote:The kicking problem is fixed. They have a Hispanic kid that plays soccer. All I know is they call him Smiley. He is already kicking 45 yard field goals. I did hear earlier that we have 3 kickers though. The word was that they may use 1 for fg, 1 for kicks and 1 for punts. They can use the weakest for punts because we won't have to do that but 1 or 2 times per month.

55 you guys will haveto punt the atleast 5 times against Corbin this year. :disappoint:
64SUR Wrote:55 you guys will haveto punt the atleast 5 times against Corbin this year. :disappoint:
If you count the pre game practice ones I'd say you are right

[Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/pic...tureid=733]
64, I would make a bet with you on that one but, you still have yet to wear your Mayfield shirt for a picture from the last bet you lost. I know, you have been pressed for time, it's only been 1.5 years.:hilarious:
I was talking to the head coach of Rhodes College in Memphis via email the other day about how they don't have ANY kids from Kentucky on their roster. He just took over this year at Rhodes and said he was going to try and remedy that situation this next year. I suggested you all down there in Mayfield where you are only two and half hours away from him in Memphis. Rhodes is a private school that is DIII in the NCAA as is Washington University in St. Louis which is just over 3 hours drive away from Mayfield. DIII schools, of course, DON'T give athletic scholarships......BUT.....they DO give out academic scholarships that can be considerable in nature and equivalent or better than an athletic scholarship to other colleges. I DO know that Washington University has made affordable the opportunity for my boys to attend there through academic scholarships. These two colleges are NOT easy to get into however because of their high academic standards. The typical student athlete at Rhodes has at least a 3.5 GPA in high school and a 25 ACT score by Christmas of their senior year of high school. Washington University generally requires a 30 ACT superscore and a 3.6 GPA in high school or better. Washington University is ranked in the top 15 for academics in the nation (equaling or beating a couple of Ivy League schools) and Rhodes is known for their academic excellence as well. If you all know of any kid that would be interested in a school for academics as well as athletics, these are schools to look into. These two school names are not know well, in at least my end of the state, but are exceptional opportunities for a kid wanting to attend a great school and still play football. You can mention Washington University to most doctors, lawyers or other professionals and their typical reaction is, "WHOA....that's a good school". The good thing about DIII schools are the athletes still love to play football, but, they aren't "owned" by the schools football team. If a kid gets hurt, they don't have to fear losing a scholarship at a DIII school as well because the scholarship is tied to academics rather than athletics.
If you all know of any kid who might be interested in going to one of these excellent schools and they have the scores and grades to back up a application then send me a PM and I can get them in touch with the right people.
This invitation goes to anyone on here from ANY high school who knows a pretty smart kid who happens to be a good football player. With these two schools and their football coaches it's school third and then football fourth.....following first GOD and then family second....in that order. The coaches at these two schools are good guys and they don't believe in selling the bologna diet that a lot of parents of good football players who are getting collegiate looks get fed. They shoot straight and tell you pretty much how it is going to be. I can attest to that personally....but that's another story.
My oldest son graduates this May from Washington U. with a degree in mechanical engineering and was offered a job in January of this past year which he accepted. Most all of his teammates already have job offers from working for management at Anheuser Busch in St. Louis to working as investment bankers in Houston, Texas to working for the Federal Government in engineering. I can think of several that have been accepted to medical schools. Many others are continuing on in graduate school for their CPA and MBAs. One kid has made ties with Lion's Gate Entertainment (movie production) and job shadowed the CEO this past spring break there at their HQ in California. That is just this years class of football seniors and that should give an idea of what sort of school we are talking about here.
papagrit Wrote:I was talking to the head coach of Rhodes College in Memphis via email the other day about how they don't have ANY kids from Kentucky on their roster. He just took over this year at Rhodes and said he was going to try and remedy that situation this next year. I suggested you all down there in Mayfield where you are only two and half hours away from him in Memphis. Rhodes is a private school that is DIII in the NCAA as is Washington University in St. Louis which is just over 3 hours drive away from Mayfield. DIII schools, of course, DON'T give athletic scholarships......BUT.....they DO give out academic scholarships that can be considerable in nature and equivalent or better than an athletic scholarship to other colleges. I DO know that Washington University has made affordable the opportunity for my boys to attend there through academic scholarships. These two colleges are NOT easy to get into however because of their high academic standards. The typical student athlete at Rhodes has at least a 3.5 GPA in high school and a 25 ACT score by Christmas of their senior year of high school. Washington University generally requires a 30 ACT superscore and a 3.6 GPA in high school or better. Washington University is ranked in the top 15 for academics in the nation (equaling or beating a couple of Ivy League schools) and Rhodes is known for their academic excellence as well. If you all know of any kid that would be interested in a school for academics as well as athletics, these are schools to look into. These two school names are not know well, in at least my end of the state, but are exceptional opportunities for a kid wanting to attend a great school and still play football. You can mention Washington University to most doctors, lawyers or other professionals and their typical reaction is, "WHOA....that's a good school". The good thing about DIII schools are the athletes still love to play football, but, they aren't "owned" by the schools football team. If a kid gets hurt, they don't have to fear losing a scholarship at a DIII school as well because the scholarship is tied to academics rather than athletics.
If you all know of any kid who might be interested in going to one of these excellent schools and they have the scores and grades to back up a application then send me a PM and I can get them in touch with the right people.
This invitation goes to anyone on here from ANY high school who knows a pretty smart kid who happens to be a good football player. With these two schools and their football coaches it's school third and then football fourth.....following first GOD and then family second....in that order. The coaches at these two schools are good guys and they don't believe in selling the bologna diet that a lot of parents of good football players who are getting collegiate looks get fed. They shoot straight and tell you pretty much how it is going to be. I can attest to that personally....but that's another story.
My oldest son graduates this May from Washington U. with a degree in mechanical engineering and was offered a job in January of this past year which he accepted. Most all of his teammates already have job offers from working for management at Anheuser Busch in St. Louis to working as investment bankers in Houston, Texas to working for the Federal Government in engineering. I can think of several that have been accepted to medical schools. Many others are continuing on in graduate school for their CPA and MBAs. One kid has made ties with Lion's Gate Entertainment (movie production) and job shadowed the CEO this past spring break there at their HQ in California. That is just this years class of football seniors and that should give an idea of what sort of school we are talking about here.

Great post! Washington U is one of the best academic schools in the country! Immediately myson55's son came to mind. A excellent HS player but undersized by NCAA standards. A member of what we think may turn out to be one of the best LB cores ever at Mayfield. Lil 55, thank goodness, does not take after 55 in academics. I do not know his ACT but I do recall he scored in mid high 20's on his first try either frosh or soph year and is near the top of the class in GPA. But getting into Wash is no small task! 55 this would be worth looking into. I think I will also investigate it Thanks Papa!
mysonis55 Wrote:64, I would make a bet with you on that one but, you still have yet to wear your Mayfield shirt for a picture from the last bet you lost. I know, you have been pressed for time, it's only been 1.5 years.:hilarious:

Bring the d@m shirt to the Corbin game and get your picture. :lmao:
I will see you then. We have that game figured as one of our toughest of this upcoming season.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Great post! Washington U is one of the best academic schools in the country! Immediately myson55's son came to mind. A excellent HS player but undersized by NCAA standards. A member of what we think may turn out to be one of the best LB cores ever at Mayfield. Lil 55, thank goodness, does not take after 55 in academics. I do not know his ACT but I do recall he scored in mid high 20's on his first try either frosh or soph year and is near the top of the class in GPA. But getting into Wash is no small task! 55 this would be worth looking into. I think I will also investigate it Thanks Papa!

No problem! I'm always happy for any kid getting into college and playing ball. Just P.M. me if you decide your definitely interested. I know that applications for WASH U. are required by early January for regular interest. Early applications are accepted until November 1st and they increase the odds of acceptance by nearly two times, BUT, if accepted then a kid is legally required to attend unless they can prove to the school that they can't financially swing tuition with their financial aid offer they receive. I'm not sure about Rhodes and how they work on application status. The numbers I gave for them came by word of mouth. These two schools are close enough to you all that you can make a game, tailgate and be home again all in one day if you wish. We usually spend one night when we go to St. Louis because it is six hours drive one way for us. Beats sixteen hours one way if our son had wound up at Dartmouth which nearly happened. (His final choice actually.)
Also, I wish I knew what I have learned about recruiting with the whole DI, DII and NAIA recruiting situation before my oldest son went through the process. I was much more savvy when my second son came through the process and learned some more with him as well.
Again, any questions?....just PM me. I'll throw our financial aid numbers at you as well the actually cost of attending school there. You'd be suprised.
I talked to the HC at Wash U a couple of years ago when we had a kid score 30 on his ACT. He told me that would be a low score for them to take. Most of their kids are up into the 30s!!!
Ghostofjoey Wrote:I talked to the HC at Wash U a couple of years ago when we had a kid score 30 on his ACT. He told me that would be a low score for them to take. Most of their kids are up into the 30s!!!

A 30 is on the low end of the ACT scores there. My youngest slipped in with a 30 ACT. My oldest had a 33 ACT. A 30 will get some kids in. Depends on their other activities. It's up to the admissions acceptance board and they look at the entire portfolio a kid presents. The coaches can recommend kids, but, it doesn't mean they will be accepted. BUT...if they get in, I can tell you one thing...the school is a hell of big difference from Eastern Kentucky University where I attended and graduated. Of course, you reap what you sow and I didn't sow my academic seeds too deep at EKU. Confusednicker:
I don't see why they can't. Great program.
I think they have already been contacting him. It is for baseball though. He really wants baseball now. His recruiters have told him they thought they could get him into a D2 or D3 school for football but he is still thinking baseball.
mysonis55 Wrote:I think they have already been contacting him. It is for baseball though. He really wants baseball now. His recruiters have told him they thought they could get him into a D2 or D3 school for football but he is still thinking baseball.

The baseball coach that is currently at Wash. U. came there last year. From what I hear, he is high energy and the team stays pretty busy working out. I will see some of them working out by themselves in the fall when I'm at football games. They are across the street from the football field and I see them in the cage or doing quick toss from the top of the football bleachers. The new coach came from Wisconsin and had a pretty impressive record at the school from which he came. His name is Pat Bloom according to the Wash. U. athletics website. Below is the baseball link.
http://bearsports.wustl.edu/sports/bsb/index

The football coach is Larry Kindbom and he's been at Wash. U. since the late 1980's. He has had only about four losing seasons in his tenure at the school. Very down to earth guy. Has his priorities set like I said in an earlier post. God, Family, School and Football in that order. He coached under Woody Hayes at Ohio State back when he first started coaching.
For more info the link is below for football.
http://bearsports.wustl.edu/sports/fball/index

Whether he chooses a sport or does not play any and whichever sport he chooses to play if he desires to, best of luck to the kid. The two schools I mentioned (Wash. U. and Rhodes College) are worth looking into. DIII schools don't get much respect on these chat sites because they don't offer full free rides. My oldest had a full free ride offer from a DI FCS team here in Kentucky. He is smart and his academic scholarship was going to pick up most of the tab and they were going to give him the athletic scholly for the rest of his education on the cheap. The best part would have been that I would only have been driving 20 minutes to home games. He wanted a degree in engineering though. If he attended this DI school, he would do the 3+2 for a four year engineering degree. But, if he wanted to play his senior year at the DI then it becomes 3 and 1/2 years. You get your KEYS money for five years. There isn't any state scholarship money for the last semester. Also, unless you do really well for those three and half years, you don't get a scholarship to attend for the two years in the professional school like at UK or UL. It also takes 5 and half years for a four year degree. My son gets his four year degree in four years plus a mathematics minor and could get a masters degree in one more semester in engineering if he attended full time.(It will take him three semesters part time while working full time) One final thought is what if the DI or DII school wants to redshirt a kid? That makes it 6 1/2 years for a bachelors degree? For a four year degree? That's nuts!
Don't discount the DIII schools with the professional schools in them, especially if you have a smart boy. Cast a wide net is my advice. A lot of kids put the blinders on for one or two schools when they need to look at several in the grand scheme of things and show equal interest in them all. You always want a viable backup plan.
Besides those two schools that are relatively close to you (Washington U. and Rhodes College), investigate U of Chicago, Case Western University(Cleveland), Carnegie Mellon University(Pittsburgh) and Emory(Atlanta and no football team) which all have professional degrees. By the way, one of Rhodes alumni is Alison Lundergan Grimes, the political chick who ran against Mitch McConnell recently for U.S. Senator.
Again, good luck.