Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who thinks Mayfield can 5 peat next year?
With what we have coming back along with our line getting stronger with the off season it will take alot of work and luck but i think we can do it again what say u.
:Thumbs:
They'll certainly be one of the favorites to win it all.. CAL will be the team to beat, imo and if they can get thru that one, they should 5-peat..
Like a fat woman on a box of cupcakes.
All the major components return outside of the kicker. They should be the favorite but I learned long ago you have to be good and have a little luck along the way and stay healthy
I want to enjoy this one for now. I do however feel that with what we return, we should be the front runners. One thing is for certain, you have to be able to score to beat us and most of our defense returns.
Does a bear dump in the woods?
No, they do that all over a field in Chicago.
Santa's little elves will bring Mayfield 2 of what ever they need. They have a factory were they build football players. Mayfield does a great job developing kids. What ever they lose there is one waiting to take its place.
Mayfield will always be a threat ever year, they have will have a shot at it next year...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
They will be a heavy favorite with what they return.

The only blaring weakness I see for them next year in 2A is they basically have noone with numerous meaningful receptions returning.

With that said, when you have Arnett putting balls exactly where they need to be, receivers can be taught in a hurry
Harrison, Lumson and Tyler will be the primary receivers and each one of them are exceptional athletes.. These guys are probably faster than the WRs we had this year, but, it remains to be seen if they can catch the ball as well or run routes as well.. I think Tapia, Hurt and Fox may get some action on offense next year, too, in the WR position, so, they should be fine there, athletically, just not a lot of experience returning ..
EKUAlum05 Wrote:They will be a heavy favorite with what they return.

The only blaring weakness I see for them next year in 2A is they basically have noone with numerous meaningful receptions returning.

With that said, when you have Arnett putting balls exactly where they need to be, receivers can be taught in a hurry

Good point about Arnett, plus, he showed a lot of scrambling and running ability late in the season, which was a pleasant surprise. Didn't know he had that in him, but, he does and that's just another weapon they'll likely take more advantage of next year.. He's got very quick feet and good moves in the open field..

I think the biggest difference in next years team will be the line play.. We struggled there this year with a lot of youth and little size.. Add Giron to the mix and 3 returning starters that should be improved and a little bigger and stronger and they could be much better offensively.. I thought this years defense was one of Mayfield's best in several years and with everything they return, they should even be stronger there next year.. Throw in a 3 yr starting QB and RB and an experienced line and the offense should be better, too.. They'll be a tough out next year.. I don't think Murray, OB Catholic or Desales will be quite as good next year either, but CAL should be better,so, imo, it'll come down to those 2 teams with the winner taking it all..
I would not be at all concerned with receivers. Both Harrison and Lumson got quiet a bit of time this year. Also, people that are close to the kids will know this, we had packages set up already for when we needed it this year that were not used. Those packages included K Arnett, Hurt and Workman at tight ends to run routes and catch passes. Not to mention we have Murrell, Tyler and Matthews that could fill in at wr. Then to make it even better, there were some really good receivers coming up from 8th grade. Don't forget that in addition to the 3 starters on the line that we return, we also have a junior that rotated in, a junior that was the long snapper and then Giron returning. The kicking game is definitely where the concern is. Workman was the kicker for the junior group through 8th grade, but has not worked on it since. He was pretty consistent on fg's and extra points. He kept booting the ball consistently to around the 10 on kickoffs. Nate Fox was the kicker for the soph group even through jv. He also has not worked on it since. The jv kicker that showed promise this year apparently quit to concentrate more on soccer. We need another Wynstra son or an Ivey to show up. It seems we have run out of those families of kickers.
Yes Mayfield will 5 peat. :disappoint:
mysonis55 Wrote:I would not be at all concerned with receivers. Both Harrison and Lumson got quiet a bit of time this year. Also, people that are close to the kids will know this, we had packages set up already for when we needed it this year that were not used. Those packages included K Arnett, Hurt and Workman at tight ends to run routes and catch passes. Not to mention we have Murrell, Tyler and Matthews that could fill in at wr. Then to make it even better, there were some really good receivers coming up from 8th grade. Don't forget that in addition to the 3 starters on the line that we return, we also have a junior that rotated in, a junior that was the long snapper and then Giron returning. The kicking game is definitely where the concern is. Workman was the kicker for the junior group through 8th grade, but has not worked on it since. He was pretty consistent on fg's and extra points. He kept booting the ball consistently to around the 10 on kickoffs. Nate Fox was the kicker for the soph group even through jv. He also has not worked on it since. The jv kicker that showed promise this year apparently quit to concentrate more on soccer. We need another Wynstra son or an Ivey to show up. It seems we have run out of those families of kickers.

Hurt played quite a bit at TE this year, especially when they were stalling running the ball.. I'm sure they do have a play or 2 in the playbook designed to go to the TE, but, they only used the TE against Corbin, Desales and NCC.. Those were the teams they had the hardest time running against.. They may have used it in a couple of other games, just not but a few times, if they did.. I would expect Hurt to be the primary TE in those situations.. I forgot about Matthews and Murrell.. Those 2 will also see some action in the WR/SR spots..
Just let me know, when Mayfield isn't the favorite to win. I'm just glad it will be a while before they are in 5A.
adopted purple Wrote:Just let me know, when Mayfield isn't the favorite to win. I'm just glad it will be a while before they are in 5A.

Now, now... You know as well as the rest of us, 5A and B. Green is a totally different animal than 1a or 2a.. I do think a team like Mayfield could compete in 5A and likely be a Top 5-10 team, but, winning it all in that division, would be extremely difficult.. Mayfield typically has more athleticism than teams in their own division and can make up for a lack of size with speed, but, in 5a, you have teams that have both and that's a tough combination and throw in the depth factor and it likely wouldn't turn out too well for the Cards..
I hope so.
Excellent shot..
I think Danville will knock them off this season.
Mayfield will be 14 point favorites in every game they play this year.
Real Badman Wrote:I think Danville will knock them off this season.

Are you a betting man, would like to have some of this action.
Way too early to say for sure. I think we have a very good shot though. I think we return more than just about anyone in 2a. We only have to feel 3 positions on defense and 4 recievers on offense. The offensive line is set. We return 3 starting offensive linemen and one rotation lineman. We also picked up Giron and we have the long snapper that may get some time on the line. I don't think the wr's will be hard to fill with the talent we have. We still have 2 wr's that got a considerable amount of time in Lumson and Harrison.
After this class what's the talent going to be like??
The junior class of next year is extremely loaded as well. 3 of the starting linemen for that group is from that class. The one big lineman that is returning is also from that class. They also feature the back up RB to Bright which is Shauntrez Tyler. They also have 1 of our 4 starting lb's. They also feature 2-3 really good wr's. The incoming freshman group also is loaded and had the 8th grade state champs on the ropes until their QB was injured. They have the best 8th grade qb that I have seen since Zyaire Hughes. They have a bunch of good skill players as well. Then you take into consideration the great back the incoming sophomore group has. It should be fun for a while.
E's Army Wrote:Mayfield will be 14 point favorites in every game they play this year.

Cardinals :Cheerlead
The Kicker, Kennemore, Caldwell and Hernandez will be sorely missed. Semis is as early as they will get tested in 2A.
Who doesn't
Has anyone heard any news about the kicking job yet. Im sure all mayfield fans are anxious to see what happens there. it'll be hard to replace Sid but as long as they hit there field goals and kick the ball to inside the 10 I think we'll be good.
The word that I hear on the kicking game is that it could be a combination of 3 different kids with soccer experience. One for kickoff a, one for field goals and another for punting. I'm sure they will figure it out.