Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland needs a game for Sept 25 now.
Lost Coal Grove from schedule due to the same OVC issue as Ironton. Re-newed Iron City Bowl with Russell after a 2 year break (Russell's choosing). The Red Devils only made it to the State Semi-Finals last season. Picked up Lucasville Valley who made it to their State Semi-Finals, boy those are really a couple of cupcakes.

Just because Raceland picked up teams like Sheldon Clark and West Carter doesn't mean they are doing that to ink W's in he win column, it sometimes has to do with logistics, play within a reasonable traveling area or drive 3 or 4 hours away.

I've talked to Coach Salmons before and he wouldn't mind at all and may even be actively seeking to schedule Johnson Central or teams near their caliber. He knows that his team learns more and he learns more about his team from playing the stiffer competition even if you end up with a Loss. And if you end up with your butt being handed to you, then it just brings you back to earth and lets them know they need to re-focus.

The real W/L Record that counts is your District record and he knows that well.

Go RAMS!!!!!!!!
Would love to pick up one of those Ohio schools.Problem is getting them to come here.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:Would love to pick up one of those Ohio schools.Problem is getting them to come here.

Portsmouth West would probably be a great game and only about 1/2 hr drive. They usually have an excellent program.
BOOGIE WOOGIE MAN Wrote:Portsmouth West would probably be a great game and only about 1/2 hr drive. They usually have an excellent program.

I looked at their schedule online and they are open the week of September 25th and they only have 9 games on schedule.
BOOGIE WOOGIE MAN Wrote:I looked at their schedule online and they are open the week of September 25th and they only have 9 games on schedule.

I looked them up on maxpreps. Last year they had about as close of a national rank to eachother as you can get. Id jump on the phone quick if i were raceland if they are only a half hour away. If both teams are similar to last year would be a competitive game.
killbilly usmc Wrote:I looked them up on maxpreps. Last year they had about as close of a national rank to eachother as you can get. Id jump on the phone quick if i were raceland if they are only a half hour away. If both teams are similar to last year would be a competitive game.

Yea, hopefully the " Powers That Be" are in contact with them and that the 2015-2016 schedule that is on line is correct.

Would be a great Rivalry game to get started. Their JFL brings a couple teams to Raceland for the JFL Tournaments that Raceland JFL has at the beginning and end of JFL Football season.

Their school is only 25 miles up US 23, then cross Carl Perkins Bridge, and then 3 miles west on US 52.

Hope it works out that way.
Hearing that calls have been made reaching out to Johnson Central, Waverly OH(a bit of a haul), and both Portsmouth East and Portsmouth West. Can anyone confirm or deny? Personally, I think all of these games are steps up in competition.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Hearing that calls have been made reaching out to Johnson Central, Waverly OH(a bit of a haul), and both Portsmouth East and Portsmouth West. Can anyone confirm or deny? Personally, I think all of these games are steps up in competition.

Definitely a step up in comparison to Sheldon Clark, ah The Sisters of the Blind would be a step up from them.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Hearing that calls have been made reaching out to Johnson Central, Waverly OH(a bit of a haul), and both Portsmouth East and Portsmouth West. Can anyone confirm or deny? Personally, I think all of these games are steps up in competition.

The distance to Waverly is no different than driving to Morehead. About an hour drive up US 23.
Sheldon Clark has never been a dominant football power, but they were atleast respectable for awhile, but things have been going downhill fast for them for several years. Numbershave been down, coaches revolving like a door, it probably would be in therebest interest to do things the way they are doing them, but they should have never scheduled the game to begin with if they didnt have a HC locked down at the time. Imo, its kind of crappy it turned out the way it did, but I think they did it for the right reasons.

Just like there are times to step up competition (ie Raceland/Williamsburg coming into their prime the last few years, they both could have added a few more tougher ball games), there is also a time to recognize a program that is in a rebuilding phase. Not a team looking to fill holes due to graduation, not a change in staff, but the program from top to bottom, needs a face lift. I think that is what has happened in SC. They need to get interest back in the program, support from boosters needs to get back on track, and they need to schedule some winnable ball games or competitive ones anyway. So I get it. I agree with the decision, just dont agree with the time frame and way they went about it.
Slic Ric Wrote:The distance to Waverly is no different than driving to Morehead. About an hour drive up US 23.

Thats what I am saying. I think we could gain alot by venturing into that area, playing those OH schools helps you prep for tough games. Seems like even the lesser quality SEOHC or South Central OH teams, will still beat you up physically for a half or so. I also think we need some big time atmosphere games away from the comforts of home. Ashland, Russell, Fairview all create the atmosphere, but they are right next door.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Hearing that calls have been made reaching out to Johnson Central... Can anyone confirm or deny?

I can confirm that this did not happen. I do know that Johnson Central did reach out yesterday and through early morning correspondence today to see if it was possible to switch the East Carter game from week 3 to one of their potential vacant dates but was told that they could not. They were looking at potentially putting Raceland in their bowl game this year and travel to their place in 2016. September 25th starts Johnson Central's district schedule and Week 3 is their only current opening which is why they asked about a potential rearrangement.
DALE Wrote:I can confirm that this did not happen. I do know that Johnson Central did reach out yesterday and through early morning correspondence today to see if it was possible to switch the East Carter game from week 3 to one of their potential vacant dates but was told that they could not. They were looking at potentially putting Raceland in their bowl game this year and travel to their place in 2016. September 25th starts Johnson Central's district schedule and Week 3 is their only current opening which is why they asked about a potential rearrangement.

I was goina PM you about trying to get a line of communication going, as we had spoke about this previously. Your statement shows something, that alot of people on here seem to forget, or overlook, in regaurds to scheduling.

Its not always about getting someone you can beat, or "running away" from someone that should thump you pretty good. There are alot of things that have to line up, even more so with the situation Raceland is in. We may very well end up with a 9 game schedule.
I saw on another site that there was a verbal agreement with Portsmouth West,OH senators and that Raceland was just waiting to finalize the contract.
I think this has worked out great for the Rams.Better game better crowd and a shorter return trip.
Better competition, better logistics, over all much better game. The schedule now suits what I feel was needed.

Ashland/Russell/Lucasville Valley: All went to atleast the regional championship game last year, with Russell and Valley both reaching the state Semi-finals.

Paintsville/Fairview/Greenup: All present good competition or unique challenges. Greenup has a good balanced defense, Paintsville should challenge for the district/region and Fairview presents a wide open arial attack to defend.

East and West Carter should let us know what kind of depth we could possibly have, by allowing us to experiment with different kids at different positions.

What does anyone know about Portsmouth West?
Portsmouth West has added Raceland to their schedule according to OHSAA.org
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Glad to see Raceland found a game especially a good one
Rams only beat green up 25-0 last year. I think I asked what happen in that game but can't remember. But best of luck to Raceland on whoever they get.
25 point spread ??? Not bad , look at their Russell score snd Ashland score
bac2369 Wrote:Rams only beat green up 25-0 last year. I think I asked what happen in that game but can't remember. But best of luck to Raceland on whoever they get.

Greenups defense was solid last year. They forced turnovers, held teams to long 3rd down plays, and hit really hard. The offense just couldnt do anything. They held Raceland, Russell, Ashland, and Johnson Central to well under their avg pts/game and yardage/game. They just didnt have any offense to go along with it.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Greenups defense was solid last year. They forced turnovers, held teams to long 3rd down plays, and hit really hard. The offense just couldnt do anything. They held Raceland, Russell, Ashland, and Johnson Central to well under their avg pts/game and yardage/game. They just didnt have any offense to go along with it.

JC Scored 42 pts and had 396 yards rushing against GC last year. Neither were below their season average. GC is improving though.
Armchair QB Wrote:JC Scored 42 pts and had 396 yards rushing against GC last year. Neither were below their season average. GC is improving though.
Belfry was the only team on JC's regular season schedule that held them to less points. So 42 pts was definitely below average.
West should be a good game for Raceland. West has always been 3 yards and a cloud of dust
Yea Im glad we picked up another team like that. Imo, we should have looked into that area along time ago. Ironton, Wheelersburg, Port West, Ironton, and Coal Grove are solid teams, that at the very list will teat your physicality year in and year out. In recent years they have had some good speed to go along with that physicality. They are all a good distance logistically and travel expenses dont beat u up as much.
5 years ago, SC was 12 points or so from playing for a state title. They are a pretty good program, and it's sad to see them in such a bad shape. Realistically this is a good move for both schools. Raceland doesn't need to play Sheldon Clark, and Sheldon Clark doesn't need to play Raceland...Not this year anyway. 5 years ago this would have been a nice ball game, but now it is nice to see them play the same level of their competition. Hopefully Sheldon Clark can get out of a few more of those schedule killer games.
No West Portsmouth game.Looks like the Rams will only play 9 games this year!
Man that blows
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Man that blows

Scotty_Bronson in 2013 Williamsburg only play 9 games in regular season and it was hard to find someone to play. No 2A,3A,4A or 5A school in neighboring countries wants to take a chance on losing to a 1A School....It worked out well for Williamsburg....Only thing every neighboring BGR fans will be sayin 1A Raceland turn this and that team down...Going to be a fun season....Go Williamsburg. Confusednicker:
Its a double edged sword really. The team gets an extra week to heal, nurse injuries, take a week and work on problem areas, continue work with the new qb that will be in place. But at the same time the school loses out on the money brought in at the gate, the kids get one less real game time prep (though with the state SC is in, it probably wouldnthave made a difference, but missing the game with Port West would have), and seniors get one less game than they could for possibly the rest of their lives. I for one, dont like it, as im sure the staff/players/administration dont either.