Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region Top 5 In Your LifeTime
Buford T Justice Wrote:Come on people some of these guys on this list are good players but not great players. I think to even make the cut to make the top 5 list you have to sign D1. Not just be a good ol mountain player that is why we never win anything in the state not enough D1 talent like other regions.

Completely disagree!! If we go by that then we might as well say the players who signed to the biggest schools automatically get the higher ranking.

Remember everyone this is for your lifetime cause not all players have seen everyone play

But it's safe to say if we had a top 5 EVER in the 14th then easily a play like Rose from Hazard and Shannon Hoskins from Napier/Clay would be on the list
I know so many people from Clay Co, and when our discussion turn on basketball all they want to talk about is Shannon Hoskins. My friends parents, grand parents, aunts, uncles, so many others all say he is not only the best player to wear a Clay Co Tigers Uniform but best player they have ever seen.
Brian johnson was pretty good at Jenkins had a Denny Crum offer
How about ranking top 5 players from each county and debate from there. Here is mine from Knott County:

Camron Justice KCC
Herbie Stamper Hindman/KCC
BB King KCC
Glen Combs Carr Creek
E A Couch Carr Creek

Others- Ronnie Hall Knott Co.- Stuart Stamper/Tate Cox KCC- Ritchie-Cordia
In my lifetime..
Cameron Justice - Knott
DJ Hoskins - Hazard
Justin ... Shoot forgot his last name but played at Pikeville and went to Hazard.
Chris Chaney - Perry
Christian Cunningham - Cordia
Daniel Combs - Perry
Clinton Stacy - Cordia
I'm not an old timer but I agree with CrazyHorse..
Shannon Hoskins is a East Kentucky legend. The first time I played him in a league, I got the pleasure of guarding him. He probably had 60 points. He never let me even get a chance to guard him.. Soon as he crossed half court his shot was off. I finally started meeting him at half court and he'd either stiff arm me or throw me off like a bug lol.. Finally I tried wrapping him up (2 free throws in the bonus is better than 3 points). The guy throws a circus shot up with one hand, and yes he makes it. Craziest thing I've ever seen.
Jim Rose Hazard
Mickey Gibson Hazard
Larry Stamper Lee County
Ike Whitaker Leslie County
Johnny Sizemore Leslie County
64SUR Wrote:I will just pick from when I play 75-78
1. Calvin Hagan...Hazard
2. Glenn Napier...M.C Napier
3. Roger Caldwell...OBI
4. Terry Wilson...Leslie County
5. Greg Coldiron...Cawood
6. Greg Stamper...Knott County Central
7. Some dude from...Buckhorn ( can not think of his name )
8. Several dude from...Cumberland ( I just know they had to play college somewhere )
9. Several cats from... Lynch ( memories lost )
10. Danny fugate...Dilce Comb.

Someone can fill in the blank for Buckhorn,Cumberland and Lynch player names.

:truestory: I think I guarded each one of them...I also foul out of each game I play against them. :Sad04:

You left best off OBI Ben Franklin
1. Ben Bowling
2. Jaysean Paige
3. Shannon Hoskins
I think Ben Bowling was probably the best player I've ever seen play. He had a complete game. One trip down the court he would pull up from 25 feet the next he would go around you and dunk and the next trip he would pull up from 15 feet. Couldn't stop him
Cellking Wrote:You left best off OBI Ben Franklin

I play against Ben Franklin his freshman year I was a senior Ben Franklin was know Roger Caldwell I promise....I didn't follow OBI much after my senior year.just saying but everybody in clay county has told me he was the best that ever play at OBI. :worthy:
64SUR Wrote:I play against Ben Franklin his freshman year I was a senior Ben Franklin was know Roger Caldwell I promise....I didn't follow OBI much after my senior year.just saying but everybody in clay county has told me he was the best that ever play at OBI. :worthy:

Roger was a Great Player, I coached him as a Freshman. That team went undefeated. But as a Sr. Ben Franklin was very good. Ray Mills was probably the best to play at OBI. He played there as a Fr. transferred to Clay Co. Played a UK.
Jaysean Paige..
Forgot about him! He's putting up buckets and minutes currently at WVU.
Forgot one. Peggy Gay, Buckhorn. Saw her drop 75 in a game one night.