Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th Region Top 5 In Your LifeTime
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who are the top 5 players you have ever got the opportunity to watch in the 14th region?
In no particular order..

Camron Justice, Ben Bowling, Braxton Beverly, Daniel Combs and Josh Whitaker
Plenty of other greats that were before my time - I'm still young lol
I will just pick from when I play 75-78
1. Calvin Hagan...Hazard
2. Glenn Napier...M.C Napier
3. Roger Caldwell...OBI
4. Terry Wilson...Leslie County
5. Greg Coldiron...Cawood
6. Greg Stamper...Knott County Central
7. Some dude from...Buckhorn ( can not think of his name )
8. Several dude from...Cumberland ( I just know they had to play college somewhere )
9. Several cats from... Lynch ( memories lost )
10. Danny fugate...Dilce Comb.

Someone can fill in the blank for Buckhorn,Cumberland and Lynch player names.

:truestory: I think I guarded each one of them...I also foul out of each game I play against them. :Sad04:
Ben Bowling-Perry
Cameron Justice-Knott
Daniel Combs-Perry
Lamar Williams-Hazard
Justin Johnson/Evan Hall-Its a toss up.
larry Stamper lee co
Brian Kiser Estill co they were in the 10th but Estill is in the 14th now.
In no order

Cameron Justice
Daniel Combs
Matt Day
Braxton Beverly
Tate Cox
In order

Mickey Gibson
Freddy Hogg
Lewis Couch
Sleepy Adams
Sam Smith
Herbie Stamper at Knott Co. went to Morehead. Glen Napier at M.C. Napier went to Morehead Larry Stamper at Lee Co went to UK. Mickey Gibson played for UK I think.Jim Rose at Hazard went to Western Ky and led them to a Final Four in '71.
Carl Wallace at Hazard was one of the best ball players I ever witnessed.Every game all the way to the state,he always made plays.
I know it says Your Lifetime... But I hope someone on here says they seen Jim Rose (Hazard) play...
Dwayne deaton should defenetly be in the top 5 all time
ekff Wrote:I know it says Your Lifetime... But I hope someone on here says they seen Jim Rose (Hazard) play...

I did see Jim Rose play and he is definate top 5
Shannon Hoskins has to be in top 5. He only played in 14th region until his soph year. He avg 30pts as a freshmen and 29/30 as a soph. He wasn't a holdback either. IMO he is still the best high school player I can remember.

My top 3 in Order:
1) Shannon Hoskins
2) Ben Bowling
3) Carl Wallace

Ben had the best potential but Carl wasn't far behind IMO!
1. Shannon Hoskins (Napier)
2. Heston Beverly (Dilce Combs)
3. Justin Johnson (PCC)
4. Cameron Justice (KCC)
5. Braxton Beverly (PCC)

Others in no particular order: John Bentley (Hazard), Ben Bowling (Perry), Tim Couch (Leslie), Jody Noble (Buckhorn), Jeff Campbell (Napier), Kent Campbell (PCC)

Aint a whole lot separates these guys.
1. Tim Couch- Leslie Co.
2. Scott Moore- Breathitt Co.
3. Ben Bowling- Perry Central
4. Justin Johnson-Perry Central
5. John Bentley-Hazard
Carl Wallace (Hazard) - Mike Smith (MC Napier) - Shannon Hoskins - Cameron Justice -
Wolfe County Guard from late 80's (can't remember name - played about same time as Wallace) - tall center (6'8 or 6'9) - from Lee County in 80's - and Tate Cox
Emmanual owootoah and christan cunningham from cordia both start on d1 teams in college. Cunningham as a freshman averaging double figures. Owootoah starts as sophomore if you get a chance to watch him this year you need to check him out he is amazing he is probably no doubt one of the best ever to come out of the 14th. Funny how no one ever mentions those players.
Come on people some of these guys on this list are good players but not great players. I think to even make the cut to make the top 5 list you have to sign D1. Not just be a good ol mountain player that is why we never win anything in the state not enough D1 talent like other regions.
Buford T Justice Wrote:Come on people some of these guys on this list are good players but not great players. I think to even make the cut to make the top 5 list you have to sign D1. Not just be a good ol mountain player that is why we never win anything in the state not enough D1 talent like other regions.

Buford T Justice I only mentions player in my basketball career when I play at Leslie County.

My life time in the 14th region.
1. Herbie Stamper...Knott County Central
2. Glenn Napier....M.C Napier
3. Tim Couch....Leslie County
4. Cameron Justice...Knott County Central
5. Terry Wilson...Leslie County...I don't think he every play college basketball.
Carl Wallace didn't sign D1 and it wasn't because he wasn't good enough. The rules to qualify for D1 scholarships have changed since Wallace played. I promise you this cat was as good as anybody on this list but didn't have the grades to back it up. The talent level in Ky is a lot diff than it has been in the past. I don't want to get a debate going about back then and now but this is why I say the talent is way better now.

Ky Class of 2014
Christen Cunningham-starter for Samford avg double digits
Quinton Synder- U of L playing big mins
Gilbert- walk on at U of L
Justin Johnson- WKU avg double double
Keelan Martin- starter for Bulter(had 13 against UNC today)

That's just a few of the top kids. Ky talent is good right now and 15 class could be even better and 2016 class is good as well.
I remember carl Wallace I watched him play he was good along with Anthony sharpie, David Alexander, Todd Blanton,terry north they were all good players. Richard Ritchie from cordia was probably the best shooter I ever saw and I am even talking better than justice I saw him put 65 on Buckhorn one night and had three 3 pointers waved off because he was standing on the out of bounds line. They are all good but to make a top five list I just think you need some standards for making a list. I will actually agree with you ball star Kentucky talent is up compared to years past.
TaintAnewPat Wrote:Emmanual owootoah and christan cunningham from cordia both start on d1 teams in college. Cunningham as a freshman averaging double figures. Owootoah starts as sophomore if you get a chance to watch him this year you need to check him out he is amazing he is probably no doubt one of the best ever to come out of the 14th. Funny how no one ever mentions those players.

That why Crazy Horse started this thread name your top 5 player in the 14th region. You have name two and Owootoah and Cunningham...If my top 5 lists was longer. I'm sure they would have may my top 10 list Owootoah for sure. Confusederiously:
I was having a discussion the other day w/ a guy about these same thing. It's according to what ppl's def of best player is. Like Justice was the best player on the floor the other night against Trinity but Spalding(if he gets a motor) will prob play in the league. I guess it's how you look at it.
My lifetime 1981-2014

1.) Ben Bowling (Perry)
2.) Carl Wallace (Hazard)
3.) Tim Couch (Leslie)
4.) Cameron Justice (Knott)
5.) Shannon Hoskins (Napier)
64SUR Wrote:I will just pick from when I play 75-78
1. Calvin Hagan...Hazard
2. Glenn Napier...M.C Napier
3. Roger Caldwell...OBI
4. Terry Wilson...Leslie County
5. Greg Coldiron...Cawood
6. Greg Stamper...Knott County Central
7. Some dude from...Buckhorn ( can not think of his name )
8. Several dude from...Cumberland ( I just know they had to play college somewhere )
9. Several cats from... Lynch ( memories lost )
10. Danny fugate...Dilce Comb.

Someone can fill in the blank for Buckhorn,Cumberland and Lynch player names.

:truestory: I think I guarded each one of them...I also foul out of each game I play against them. :Sad04:

ekff Wrote:I know it says Your Lifetime... But I hope someone on here says they seen Jim Rose (Hazard) play...

2elijah Wrote:In order

Mickey Gibson
Freddy Hogg
Lewis Couch
Sleepy Adams
Sam Smith

I love talking and listening to ppl talk about older players...

I know the stories on Jim Rose, Mickey Gibson, Johnny Cox, and Freddy Hogg bc I'm a Hazard guy but I would like to hear some stuff about Nelson White from Powell or Terry Wilson from Leslie...

Hazard guys that I'd loved to seen play:
Jim Rose
Mickey Gibson
Carl Wallace - was 1 year old
Johnny Cox
Terry North - was 1 year old
Calvin Hagan ---- Some say he might have been the best Hazard player ever..
Freddy Hogg
Dickie Alexander
This guy was in the 13th but he was a monster he played for Oneida. His name was Ritchie bell had a guy that played with him named tony burns. Bobby Keith wanted bell bad but said he could not play inteam system.
ballstar Wrote:Carl Wallace didn't sign D1 and it wasn't because he wasn't good enough. The rules to qualify for D1 scholarships have changed since Wallace played. I promise you this cat was as good as anybody on this list but didn't have the grades to back it up. The talent level in Ky is a lot diff than it has been in the past. I don't want to get a debate going about back then and now but this is why I say the talent is way better now.

Ky Class of 2014

That's just a few of the top kids. Ky talent is good right now and 15 class could be even better and 2016 class is good as well.

Where are you getting Johnson averaging a double double at? 6/5..
ballstar Wrote:Carl Wallace didn't sign D1 and it wasn't because he wasn't good enough. The rules to qualify for D1 scholarships have changed since Wallace played. I promise you this cat was as good as anybody on this list but didn't have the grades to back it up. The talent level in Ky is a lot diff than it has been in the past. I don't want to get a debate going about back then and now but this is why I say the talent is way better now.

Ky Class of 2014

I don't think it's that there's more talent now I think College is way more important now than it was even in the 80s and the way kids get exposure now is much better...
ekff Wrote:I love talking and listening to ppl talk about older players...

I know the stories on Jim Rose, Mickey Gibson, Johnny Cox, and Freddy Hogg bc I'm a Hazard guy but I would like to hear some stuff about Nelson White from Powell or Terry Wilson from Leslie...

Hazard guys that I'd loved to seen play:
Jim Rose
Mickey Gibson
Carl Wallace - was 1 year old
Johnny Cox
Terry North - was 1 year old
Calvin Hagan ---- Some say he might have been the best Hazard player ever..
Freddy Hogg
Dickie Alexander

I think Powell had a Skidmore kid that was really good, but the one I remember watching from Powell was Billy Jay Hearne. He was killed in a car wreck during high school, but was a D1 prospect as a sophomore. Don't know much else about him. Sam Smith from Hazard, Glen Combs fr Carr Creek, Ralph Davis, Wah Wah Jones, Frank Selvy.
Pages: 1 2