•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County 2015
As much ad I love football at lc they have kids that their futur lays in other sports, chaffins, both daltons, richatdson, all basketball keesee baseball I would really be surprise to see these kids on the football field next year
dawg fan Wrote:As much ad I love football at lc they have kids that their futur lays in other sports, chaffins, both daltons, richatdson, all basketball keesee baseball I would really be surprise to see these kids on the football field next year

And who are all those big time schools knocking down their doors for basketball and baseball. I say if your a good athlete then play em all and see what one gets you the best offer. I don't claim to know what a kid like Timmy Dalton has been offered in basketball but if the kid would put his mind to it I think he could be a D1 type receiver but can he say that about basketball?
For a receiver he has the height, hands, and speed but he needs to be more aggressive at going for the ball. The kid is just a sophomore and he made some senior defensive backs look bad as a freshman so who knows how much better he could get in the next few years. In the end I hope the kids do what they want to do and don't have grown people whispering in their ears telling em they are the next MJ and could go to UK.
If you want to know the impression Timmy is making on people with his ability just go look at 10 and 11 of the Russell @ Belfry thread. They think he is the best receiver east of 75. I think if he would really take it serious and work hard he could be one of if not the best in the state. I don't hear that being said about his basketball. If basketball is his passion then go for it but I hope he don't give up on football completely because he might be suprised what could take him the furthest.
I really don't know if timmy has had any interest form colleges or not I do no chaffins had some d1 interest in basketball, robert was cleared to play football this year and decided to focus on basketball, keesee loves football hurt a shoulder in the rowan co game that bother him all year on top of that a concussion in the belfry game, I know his parents would rather he not play football, but I don't think they would tell him he couldn't, but he is a much better baseball player than football. And you are right timmy has mad athletic skills I wish them all well.
Do-double-gg Wrote:And who are all those big time schools knocking down their doors for basketball and baseball. I say if your a good athlete then play em all and see what one gets you the best offer. I don't claim to know what a kid like Timmy Dalton has been offered in basketball but if the kid would put his mind to it I think he could be a D1 type receiver but can he say that about basketball?
For a receiver he has the height, hands, and speed but he needs to be more aggressive at going for the ball. The kid is just a sophomore and he made some senior defensive backs look bad as a freshman so who knows how much better he could get in the next few years. In the end I hope the kids do what they want to do and don't have grown people whispering in their ears telling em they are the next MJ and could go to UK.

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't know timmy, but I do the difference in athletes who play multiple sports compared to others. I always tried to recruit multiple sport athletes. There are different levels of athleticism in each sport that you can't learn by focusing on one thing all year around. Unfortunately, it has become a rackett with all of the different "elite" summer teams and individual instruction that is shoved down your throat. Baseball has become the worst over the past 25 years since I've been coaching at the college level, but it is equally as detrimental in every sport across the board. These young kids and their parents are taken advantage of and basically told certain things have to be done in order for your kid to play at the next level. They always seem to get them at that middle school age or during their freshman year so they can have atleast four years of mommy and daddy's money. It's borderline criminal. Don't get me wrong, it never hurts to do things in the offseason to keep you sharp an on your game, and it helps to go to combines and showcases to be seen. However, it should never be enough to where you can't play another sport. There are so many aspects of football that correlates with baseball, and there are aspects of basketball that will do the same thing with football. There is such a major difference in a kid, both mentally and physically, that plays multiple sports compared to a kid that only plays one. Any coach, recruiter, scout, etc. can tell the difference in those kids when watching them play. I would love to see it comeback to that way in high school sports again. I can remember close to 20 years ago or maybe a little less watching a McKenzie kid from Paintsville playing at Rupp Arena and I was shocked at how good he was at basketball, because I had just gotten a list of eastern ky baseball recruits and as I was looking over it I sure enough seen his name. Then come to find out, the Ratliff kid that ended up pitching at the next level was playing on the same team. There is nothing more telling about an athlete you're recruiting than to be able to see him/her in their element in a completely different sport.
How good Will LCs offensive lineman be next year ?
dawg fan Wrote:As much ad I love football at lc they have kids that their futur lays in other sports, chaffins, both daltons, richatdson, all basketball keesee baseball I would really be surprise to see these kids on the football field next year

They watched many basketball games on TV lately?
Iron Horse Wrote:How good Will LCs offensive lineman be next year ?

They lose several seniors off the line, as well as line backers, lc had 14 seniors last year about half played on a regular basis. It will depend on how hard they work in the off season.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:They watched many basketball games on TV lately?

What is point?
Iron Horse Wrote:How good Will LCs offensive lineman be next year ?

We lose experience, but that can be said about a lot of teams due to graduation. Personally I think the line will be better if the 10th graders next year hit the weight room this offseason. They are certainly going to be bigger up front than last year. Johnson's strength will be missed on both sides of the ball though, he was a beast.
The thing I would like to know is do we have a coach who takes care of the defense or is Cecil the head coach/defensive coach. Coach Cecil is a defensive guy yet our defense has been our weak point the last few years. I just feal that with the size and speed that we had on that side of the ball this season that our defense should be better.
I think Coach Prince takes care of the Defense. I could be mistaken but I think he calls the Defensive Plays during the game.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:They watched many basketball games on TV lately?

I hope they haven't because other than UK I'm not impressed. And there has been no one since Jordan to get me wanting to watch an NBA game. Confusednicker:
Aug 23, 14 Boyd County away (W) 47 - 25 Click
Aug 29, 14 Rowan County home (W) 54 - 29 Click
Sep 5, 14 Fairview away (W) 29 - 25 Click
Sep 12, 14 Breathitt County away (W) 48 - 27 Click
Sep 19, 14 East Carter away (W) 42 - 10 Click

Sep 26, 14 Raceland home (L) 14 - 47 Click
Oct 2, 14 Sheldon Clark away (W) 28 - 14 Click
Oct 10, 14 Pike County Central home (W) 23 - 20 Click
Oct 17, 14 Belfry home (L) 19 - 34 Click
Oct 31, 14 Prestonsburg home (L) 20 - 27 Click

I would think that LC would want to beef up their schedule after the past 2 years of success? I have said several times to me LC playing JC is the game they need to add. This allows LC another week in practicing against the belly. JC has week 3 / 10 open for 2015 & 2016.
How tall is Dalton?
Do-double-gg Wrote:The thing I would like to know is do we have a coach who takes care of the defense or is Cecil the head coach/defensive coach. Coach Cecil is a defensive guy yet our defense has been our weak point the last few years. I just feal that with the size and speed that we had on that side of the ball this season that our defense should be better.

My boy plays on the defensive side of the ball according to him coach cecil makes all of the defensive calls including cover schemes for db's and linebackers. Coach prince does the special teams, and coach short calls all the offensive plays.
Belfry0304 Wrote:How tall is Dalton?

6 foot 3 inches is what he is listed as.
Eagle84 Wrote:Aug 23, 14 Boyd County away (W) 47 - 25 Click
Aug 29, 14 Rowan County home (W) 54 - 29 Click
Sep 5, 14 Fairview away (W) 29 - 25 Click
Sep 12, 14 Breathitt County away (W) 48 - 27 Click
Sep 19, 14 East Carter away (W) 42 - 10 Click

Sep 26, 14 Raceland home (L) 14 - 47 Click
Oct 2, 14 Sheldon Clark away (W) 28 - 14 Click
Oct 10, 14 Pike County Central home (W) 23 - 20 Click
Oct 17, 14 Belfry home (L) 19 - 34 Click
Oct 31, 14 Prestonsburg home (L) 20 - 27 Click

I would think that LC would want to beef up their schedule after the past 2 years of success? I have said several times to me LC playing JC is the game they need to add. This allows LC another week in practicing against the belly. JC has week 3 / 10 open for 2015 & 2016.

I would love it if we had Johnson Central on the scedule. I have no doubt that we would probably lose that game, but when you want to make a long run in the 3a playoffs you need to play some people who can beat you and make you better IMO.
I'm not sure how getting blasted by probably 50 points or better will help but maybe get a 1&1 with JC and see how it goes. LC hasn't been able to even compete with Belfry so playing a team that easily blows Belfry out just doesn't seem like much of a benefit. Maybe I'm wrong but I think playing harder teams is fine but you at least want to be able to compete. Playing a school as close as JC is to us would be cool I suppose.
Dalton's future to me is much more promising as a football player than a basketball player.

6'3 Forwards are a dime a dozen. He is a very good basketball player but probably projects more of a NAIA level type of talent in basketball.

6'3 Wideouts with speed and ball skills are more rare in football, and teams need more of them. I think he has potential for either D-2 or even FCS level D-1. I could very easily see teams like Murray State, EKU,Tennessee tech, etc recruiting him.

A college basketball team (UK being the glaring exception) may only recruit one or even zero Forwards in a year if they have guys playing all 4 years. Your standard issue FCS football team may need to take 3-4 Wideouts in a class.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Dalton's future to me is much more promising as a football player than a basketball player.

6'3 Forwards are a dime a dozen. He is a very good basketball player but probably projects more of a NAIA level type of talent in basketball.

6'3 Wideouts with speed and ball skills are more rare in football, and teams need more of them. I think he has potential for either D-2 or even FCS level D-1. I could very easily see teams like Murray State, EKU,Tennessee tech, etc recruiting him.

A college basketball team (UK being the glaring exception) may only recruit one or even zero Forwards in a year if they have guys playing all 4 years. Your standard issue FCS football team may need to take 3-4 Wideouts in a class.
I completely agree with this. But to add to this, I think that if he was to take it as serious as he does basketball with the natural ability he was born with the sky would be the limit if he put the hard work in. The kid is just a sophomore and he has 2 full years to get better. I would love to see coach bring in someone who knows about receiving at the next level to work with him. It would be great to have like a Gerad Parker to come in and work with the kid if he wasn't so busy at Purdue, but I'm sure he could find someone who would see the potential of the kid and be willing to work with him. The kid IMO needs someone to help him develop things like footwork and route running and I don't know that we have anyone on the coaching staff who would know much about receiving.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I completely agree with this. But to add to this, I think that if he was to take it as serious as he does basketball with the natural ability he was born with the sky would be the limit if he put the hard work in. The kid is just a sophomore and he has 2 full years to get better. I would love to see coach bring in someone who knows about receiving at the next level to work with him. It would be great to have like a Gerad Parker to come in and work with the kid if he wasn't so busy at Purdue, but I'm sure he could find someone who would see the potential of the kid and be willing to work with him. The kid IMO needs someone to help him develop things like footwork and route running and I don't know that we have anyone on the coaching staff who would know much about receiving.

Absolutely. I agree. He has great natural ability, but his route running lacks alot. Hips are too high and his shoulders dont square when he cuts off a route. But he is youg and those are all things that canbe fixed. Another thing that needs fixed is attituted and I am not even refering to the personal fouls or ejections. Simple tackles missed due to a seemingly "whatever, if I dont get mine who cares", mentality. Again, that can sometimes come along with beig a young player. I watchedhim give up several times this year when things werent going well for LC. He has massive potential and great natural abilities. Justneeds to tweak rt running and level his head out a bit.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Absolutely. I agree. He has great natural ability, but his route running lacks alot. Hips are too high and his shoulders dont square when he cuts off a route. But he is youg and those are all things that canbe fixed. Another thing that needs fixed is attituted and I am not even refering to the personal fouls or ejections. Simple tackles missed due to a seemingly "whatever, if I dont get mine who cares", mentality. Again, that can sometimes come along with beig a young player. I watchedhim give up several times this year when things werent going well for LC. He has massive potential and great natural abilities. Justneeds to tweak rt running and level his head out a bit.
Agree. At least twice when ball was under thrown and intercepted he made no attempt to prevent interception and more importantly made no attempt to tackle defender. Just threw up his hands. The TE had more TD's receiving than Dalton. Dalton is a better decoy than a go to guy at this point. Until he learns that he has to position himself to make the catch, he is best used to attract the double team. This would open the slot, TE, RB and other WR to many options for the offense. LC has a very capable QB and needs to develop a offense that plays to his passing abilities. If Dalton learns to be more aggressive and disciplined he could be a force. Couple that with a 6'3" 215lb TE and Sympkins at slot and you have options.
Will have to add the fact that yes the te had more touchdowns than Dalton but that is more than likely because the entire secondary is focused on Dalton. Dalton really needs an experienced wr coach like was mentioned in a previous post. If that kid decides he will not be stopped from catching the ball then he won't. too big..too fast....too much leaping ability. My one wish for next year is that they use him correctly and not just send him out there on 3rd or 4th and long and sling it up to Timmy when everyone knows it's coming.
0ff The Chain Wrote:Will have to add the fact that yes the te had more touchdowns than Dalton but that is more than likely because the entire secondary is focused on Dalton. Dalton really needs an experienced wr coach like was mentioned in a previous post. If that kid decides he will not be stopped from catching the ball then he won't. too big..too fast....too much leaping ability. My one wish for next year is that they use him correctly and not just send him out there on 3rd or 4th and long and sling it up to Timmy when everyone knows it's coming.

They need to gameplan with Dalton every game like they did in the Belfry games.

Take calculated deep shots. Get him involved in the short and intermediate game. Even give him a few carries out of the Wildcat.

Lawrence County was the only team in the playoffs to put up points on the Belfry starters when the game was still to be decided and Dalton was the only offensive player Belfry saw in the playoffs who was a mis-match. Look at what belfry's secondary did against Central's speedy receivers... Dalton had Pirate fans holding their breathe every pass.
The key in play calling for Dalton, will be situated when Cecil decides what kind of offense he os going to run. I get why he uses multiple sets, its hard to game plan against and its hard for teams to prepare for, simply because its alot to ask of a scout team thats made up of primarily underclassmen and Freshman. But, with that comes a lack of identity. Against Raceland, on their early score, they stayed in the zone read from undercenter. Mixed in a few screen/short passes and continued to run the ball. After that it seemed like they pulled a formation out of a hat and the play out of a barrel full of monkeys. I watched the Belfry playoff game on film and they were very methodical and consistent in formations and play calling. They got Dalton the ball at different levels, 3-5-10-15 yards rts. You cant just send the kid on a 12 yard curl or a 12 yard dig every play, which is what they did against Raceland and Young picked them off twice. Imo, with the QB they have, the TE they have and with Sympkins/Dalton at WRs they should consider using an ACE package. With recievers like Dalton and Sympkins, Mesh routes and pick routes always seem to work well at the HS level. That shallow series is really effective to. Plus if you have a RB who can also line up in the slot, it allows you to very the ACE package a little and you dont have to change the personel if you want to run some trap/zone read type stuff in the run game. Whatever they do, they have to find consistency.
Than ran out of the ACE package some, but never seemed to run out of ANYTHING with any kind of direction.
congrats to luke schaeffer on making all state honorable mention as a punter. he averaged 41 yds per punt with a 4.1 hang time avg. those are d1 stats. work on that punting in the off season young man and you can pick you're school and go for free.
big if for next year if Robert Dalton plays. he is faster than timmy. he would be the other wr. if he does not play then look for chaffins or Richardson to play wr/slot. if Robert Dalton plays and lc goes to a shotgun type offense with mosely/sympkins in the back field and chaffins/Richardson in the slot they have the potential to be an offensive machine. they would have the option to go with a double te set with sympkins being the other te and mosely in the backfield. several players are already in the weight room. I ran into schaeffer, sympkins, ross and mosely at the weight room and they are setting the bar. schaffer said he was working on getting up to 225/230 and getting his 40 from 4.9 to 4.5 as a goal. he said he currently was 6'3" and 216lbs.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:congrats to luke schaeffer on making all state honorable mention as a punter. he averaged 41 yds per punt with a 4.1 hang time avg. those are d1 stats. work on that punting in the off season young man and you can pick you're school and go for free.

That's awesome. It's hard for kickers to get recognized. I don't mean this negative in anyway, and it has nothing to do with his ability, but realistically kickers will never be able to get full scholarships. Coaches hold those scholarships in high regard and only 15% of college kickers recieve money their first year, and even then it's usually a partial scholarship. A lot of schools will ask them to walk-on and what's crazy is they'll probably play. They do this in order for them to prove their worth and that's why almost all of the kickers receiving money are juniors and seniors. After they have spent a year or so showing their worth, usually a coach will extend some money to them just to maintain that consistency in the kicking game. Don't get me wrong, there are incoming college freshman that receive money, but those are usually guys that have competed in kicking events and been evaluated by NFL scouts. It's hard to predict the potential of a kicker at the next level and that's why it is hard for a coach to justify giving them any money. I wish him luck. It sounds like he has a great leg. I just hope he understands the business side of things and doesn't get discouraged by it.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next