Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lawrence County 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
It has been very hard for me to wrap my head around this program the last few seasons. We go up and down like a roller coaster. Not a lot of consistency and I've said this about a million times, but we need better fundamentals. I'm a defensive minded guy and the tackling of the last few years has just about gave me a stroke and the blocking aint much better. I have also seen a lot of kids standing around waiting for someone else to make the play on almost every play. If this program is going to go to the next level they need to clean up all this stuff and do all the small things that make more of a difference then some think. I also think that the contract with most if not all of our non district teams is up so I would like to see us get some better teams on the schedule like Johnson Central. I know it is fun to get some wins in the regular season but we need to stop kidding ourselves beating up on the Rowan and Boyd counties of the world. We are not going to get better or know where we stand and get prepared for the postseason if we dont play some teams who can punch us in the mouth. I can see that our little league and middle school programs are getting better and our numbers were better this year and I think we have some good teams coming up in the future but will it correlate over to the high school level?
Lawerence & Fairview has already signed another 2yr contract to play each other .
I know we lose quite a few seniors this year but we have a very large junior class this year who will be seniors next year. If anyone has a list of who is gone and who returns please post it.
(Kids who are out)
#9 Devon Perry-very good linebacker who loves to hit and will be missed.
#3 Morgan Obrian- pretty good speed to lose in the backfield on ofense.
#1 Noah Lambert- pretty good receiver and very smart kid and player.

(Kids who return)
#7 Grant Kiser- kid is very smart and pretty good arm, I expect him to be a lot better next year.
#11 Timmy Dalton - Very fast and good hands, still hard for me to believe he is just a SO, if he plays next year I don't think a defensive back in the mountains can stop him.
#5 Zach Keesee I love to watch this kid play- has a moter that never stops and loves to hit, is a little sloppy with the tackling at times but if he cleans some stuff up will be very dangerous on defense.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head but some pretty good kids.
I still think we had some kids who could share some time at other positions and who could play both sides of the ball this year. Case in point would be at the RB position.
Talon Wrote:Lawerence & Fairview has already signed another 2yr contract to play each other .

I have no problem with this one. You guys have a pretty good program regardless of the stuff that went on. I think your team was better then a lot of people were expecting and I think you got a good coach. I also have some family who live in the area and I love to keep up with the eagles.:Thumbs:
I also heard that Russell is on the schedule for next year. This should be a good one.
I think with the players that are returning and some that will be playing next year that didn't play this year, LC will be much more of a passing team. The skill position players we will have play into the passing game more so than running. Will be much stronger in the trenches where we will need to be if we have any shot at competing with Belfry. I do agree that it will be helpful to schedule better competition but as far as playing Johnson Central right now that would probably be about as helpful as making the team stand out in the middle of us 23 to tackle cars. We need to go full pads and actual tackle people in practice and put at least a little bit of importance in defense. Would love to keep Fairview, Raceland and Prestonsburg on our schedule and maybe pick up Ashland or Russell. LC was just not physical enough this year and that is what killed us. Just my opinion of course.
RETURNING PLAYERS Brandon Richardson Zach Keesee Grant Kiser Dylan Simpkins Timmy Daulton Austin Chaffins Morgan Miller Luke Schaeffer Matt Ratliff Aaron Roberts Tyler Horton Cole Mosely Blake Ramey Zach Triplett Austin Ross Josh Ratliff Justin Vaughn Alex Endicott Blaine Brewer ( freshman players not listed)
With what LC has returning and what PC loses I think the Bulldogs hold serve as the #2 team in the District. I still think Belfry will be the class of EKY 3A but I think LC closes the gap a little more.

If I am a LC fan I think I am pulling for LC staff to cast aside this multiple set look and find their identity. They go from shotgun to wildcat to wishbone to I to Ace. I think LC would beat be served either going out of the gun and using the read option with Kiser's athleticism and just mastering ways to generate short passes or screens that replace runs. I don't see any elite talent at RB but LC has as good of WR's and dual threat QB as anyone in EKY
I think LC has to go back to the drawing board a tad on offense for next season. The QB is very talented and Dalton is IMO a D1 type guy.

It would be hard to do, but I think you go spread next year with Mosely running hard inside. Shotgun every snap. Three running plays. Read option, give and ISO with RB as lead blocker for Kiser. Run those few plays well and then let Kiser sling it.
PaytoPlay Wrote:I think LC has to go back to the drawing board a tad on offense for next season. The QB is very talented and Dalton is IMO a D1 type guy.

It would be hard to do, but I think you go spread next year with Mosely running hard inside. Shotgun every snap. Three running plays. Read option, give and ISO with RB as lead blocker for Kiser. Run those few plays well and then let Kiser sling it.

YES! YES! YES! That's what I'm saying. Do you realize everything you can do out of that? You can draw out of that, Mosley catching Out of The Back Field, have Timmy going Deep every play, have Schaffer run the middle, and like you already said Read Option!! YES! YES! YES! Confusednicker:
I would be very surprised to see chaffins on the football field next year he is getting looks from some d1 schools in basketball I think he will focus on basketball, I would also be surprised to see richardson play next year. Keessee has had some injuries this year that may effect his baseball in the spring, I would be shocked if I saw him on the football field next year, but that group of juniors are pretty close group so you never know.
pretty sure they all will be back and with the addition of Robert Dalton which would be tremendous for LC.
There is alot to be upbeat about. I think we had 24 freshman on the team this year. somebody correct me if im wrong. Add the junior class returning and the 5 returning sop. i expect the numbers to be good coming from the 8th grade. should be another good year. I like coach cecil, think he is doing a good job but our defense is a major issue that needs to be worked on to take the next step in building lc football back to where it once was. All in all i just love me some lc football!!
Is Cecil the type of coach that tailors his offense to his personnel or is he more likely to stick to his system no matter what?
In the pound Wrote:There is alot to be upbeat about. I think we had 24 freshman on the team this year. somebody correct me if im wrong. Add the junior class returning and the 5 returning sop. i expect the numbers to be good coming from the 8th grade. should be another good year. I like coach cecil, think he is doing a good job but our defense is a major issue that needs to be worked on to take the next step in building lc football back to where it once was. All in all i just love me some lc football!!

I am very excited about the freshmen heading into their 2nd year. Their line is completely massive and if they hit the weights hard this offseason LC should have amazing depth in the trenches where we desperately need it. I know several of them are in the 250-300lb range and they looked really good in the limited playing time they got to get out on the field this year. Some good speed in that class as well.
samson81 Wrote:Is Cecil the type of coach that tailors his offense to his personnel or is he more likely to stick to his system no matter what?

Cecil seems to try different offensive sets and players not only to see what is working and what isn't, but also to give opponents tons of things to think about. Unless you are stacked on D across the board like belfry has been, it is very hard for teams to account for all the weapons and formations LC runs. I think the spread offense has to be looked at seriously coming into this next season though.
It sounds like the Dawgs have bright days ahead. I would love to see a series between LC and Russell. Both teams are heading in the right direction. I vividly remember playing against you guys in '97 & '98... Jason Michael was one of the best pure football players I ever saw in person and Nick Meadows is one of the all time great underrated backs...perhaps because he was immediately followed by West. Whatever system you guys settle on next year, I wish LC the best of luck.
LC will have a nice team next year, unfortunately you are in a district and region with belfry and they are loaded. Not too many programs can compete with them.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:With what LC has returning and what PC loses I think the Bulldogs hold serve as the #2 team in the District. I still think Belfry will be the class of EKY 3A but I think LC closes the gap a little more.

If I am a LC fan I think I am pulling for LC staff to cast aside this multiple set look and find their identity. They go from shotgun to wildcat to wishbone to I to Ace. I think LC would beat be served either going out of the gun and using the read option with Kiser's athleticism and just mastering ways to generate short passes or screens that replace runs. I don't see any elite talent at RB but LC has as good of WR's and dual threat QB as anyone in EKY

The formations are just smoke and mirrors. Same concepts. Formations dont mean it's a different offense.
Case in point. Something that Lawrence has/does and always will run: Midline.

You can run the midline out of the pistol, I, Bone, ace-double wing look.

I'll just go ahead and tell ya...Lawrence is multiple in looks, not schemes. Believe what you want, though.
Very impressive stretch for LC, Hope they keep it up!
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Case in point. Something that Lawrence has/does and always will run: Midline.

You can run the midline out of the pistol, I, Bone, ace-double wing look.

I'll just go ahead and tell ya...Lawrence is multiple in looks, not schemes. Believe what you want, though.

Very true. :Thumbs:
0ff The Chain Wrote:pretty sure they all will be back and with the addition of Robert Dalton which would be tremendous for LC.

I wont get into the whole story, but Robert was going to play this year but something kept it from happening. What I've been told about this kid is that he is very fast(faster then Timmy) and someone said they saw this kid playing TB and and it was effortless for him to make a defense look silly. If he does play next year that would be a huge addition to the team.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:With what LC has returning and what PC loses I think the Bulldogs hold serve as the #2 team in the District. I still think Belfry will be the class of EKY 3A but I think LC closes the gap a little more.

I agree with you about Belfry still being the class of 3a in EKY because you have a very good team and they are young and I'm sure you have some good talent coming up also. The thing that scares me is the fact that next season 3a gets instantly a lot tougher with the addition of teams like Lexington Cath and Boyle County and a few others. I think it will be very hard for teams in the Mountains to compete with the talent pool that some of those teams have to draw from. I am honestly expecting in the next season or so for a Chuck Smith lead Boyle program to get a stranglehold 3a and not let go for some time. If someone wants to get a championship they better get it this season or maybe next (I don't know what Boyle returns next year).
I believe Boyle will return about 30 seniors next season. Boyle and LexCath are both out west and will still allow Belfry or another team to land in BG before locking horns.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I agree with you about Belfry still being the class of 3a in EKY because you have a very good team and they are young and I'm sure you have some good talent coming up also. The thing that scares me is the fact that next season 3a gets instantly a lot tougher with the addition of teams like Lexington Cath and Boyle County and a few others. I think it will be very hard for teams in the Mountains to compete with the talent pool that some of those teams have to draw from. I am honestly expecting in the next season or so for a Chuck Smith lead Boyle program to get a stranglehold 3a and not let go for some time. If someone wants to get a championship they better get it this season or maybe next (I don't know what Boyle returns next year).

Not to toot our own horn, but we're a final 4 3A team this season with only 7 seniors (only 6 that play). 3A gets a lot tougher next year but we are definitely willing to accept that challenge. 2015 and 2016 look like some pretty exciting years for Belfry.
to an extent I agree with what seems to be Cecil's offensive style. throw as much as you can at a defense, see what works and what doesnt and make adjustments from there. i understand that idea, but that is also what I have noticed about LC under his reign. They seem to have no sense of rhythm or personality on offense. There is no reason that the spread shouldnt work with Kiser, Dalton and other atheletes they have, use a 2 back set, much like Raceland and Russell does. You can run the spread and be even more successful in running the ball than in a wing, bone, or Power I system, these days. its all about match ups and getting atheletes the ball in space, or create more favorable miss direction stuff with counters, traps, pulls etc. this would open up their passing game as well. Cecil likes to run the same plays out of each formation. so its easy to read the trips option, play action, or basic power/off tackle stuff. LC's offense has been pretty predictable over the last few years.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I wont get into the whole story, but Robert was going to play this year but something kept it from happening. What I've been told about this kid is that he is very fast(faster then Timmy) and someone said they saw this kid playing TB and and it was effortless for him to make a defense look silly. If he does play next year that would be a huge addition to the team.

He came out and practiced for a few weeks but had health issues that had to be cleared up. I thought he looked faster than Timmy as hard as that is to imagine. Would be another great weapon and take some of the coverage off of Timmy. Both of them are tremendous athletes.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:to an extent I agree with what seems to be Cecil's offensive style. throw as much as you can at a defense, see what works and what doesnt and make adjustments from there. i understand that idea, but that is also what I have noticed about LC under his reign. They seem to have no sense of rhythm or personality on offense. There is no reason that the spread shouldnt work with Kiser, Dalton and other atheletes they have, use a 2 back set, much like Raceland and Russell does. You can run the spread and be even more successful in running the ball than in a wing, bone, or Power I system, these days. its all about match ups and getting atheletes the ball in space, or create more favorable miss direction stuff with counters, traps, pulls etc. this would open up their passing game as well. Cecil likes to run the same plays out of each formation. so its easy to read the trips option, play action, or basic power/off tackle stuff. LC's offense has been pretty predictable over the last few years.

I agree 100% . It has been very predictable. It looks great early in the season when they are rolling up 40-60 points a game playing lesser teams but it is plain to see when they play Raceland,Belfry,P-burg and other teams that can match them athlete for athlete. I think we need to be more physical on both sides of the ball above all else though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8