Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Lex. Christian
29.03%
Shelby Valley
70.97%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Christian @ Shelby Valley (11/14)
SV has two middle LB's that are pretty dang good also. The OLB's have speed and size, Newsome is 6'3 230 and has great speed. It will be a very good game. Whitman better be healthy. I know LCA controls the clock but so does SV so it may be a deal where each team gets few possessions.
Whitman is the difference.
Heard from a few realizable sources that Whitman has a high ankle sprain. I'm sure that won't stop him from suiting up and playing. But anyone that has had a high ankle sprain knows the pain and irritation. If it's a true high ankle sprain it won't be healed by this friday. That injury will have it's effects and show on the field Friday night. Valley will be extra physical with him and try to limit his carries I'm sure. If this injury has an impact on his playing time and performance then it may be a long night for LCA. But I'm praying for a speedy recovery for the young man.
baseball1974 Wrote:I think the way they slow them down is by keeping them off the field. They can ride Whitman all the way down the field and take their time doing it.

If it ends up being a shoot out then Shelby Valley will probably win this one, but if LCA can control the clock then I think they'll run away with it.

Interesting take on the game. I probably would have said something similar, that the best way to slow down Whitman would be to keep him off the field. Shelby Valley's strategy is to use both their feature backs to control the clock and shorten the game with long, methodical drives.

My assessment would have been just the opposite as yours, that LCA would win in a shootout, but Valley would win a low-scoring game. Odd.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PHSForever Wrote:Valley just fumbles too much for me to have faith they can take advantage of each and every possession they have, which will be at a premium against another team who runs as much as they do. 21-16 LCA

That's a fair assessment. Shelby Valley has been their own worst enemy this year with all the fumbles. One could argue that SV would still be unbeaten had they not all the issues turning the ball over.

The thing is, it has not just been a couple games where the fumbles have shown up. Rather, it's been going on all season, enough to say that the fumbles are just a part of who Valley's football team is. It's just that in most of its games, SV was able to overcome them and still win.

Can SV limit the turnovers this Friday? The answer to that will likely determine if they will still be playing the next weekend or not.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Interesting take on the game. I probably would have said something similar, that the best way to slow down Whitman would be to keep him off the field. Shelby Valley's strategy is to use both their feature backs to control the clock and shorten the game with long, methodical drives.

My assessment would have been just the opposite as yours, that LCA would win in a shootout, but Valley would win a low-scoring game. Odd.

I still think the longer Whittman stays on the field and the longer Shelby Valleys defense has to play in consecutive plays, the better that plays into LCA's advantage. If LCA gets in a game like they had with Danville or Frankfort then they'll most likely lose this game. Time of possession will decide this one most likely.
baseball1974 Wrote:I still think the longer Whittman stays on the field and the longer Shelby Valleys defense has to play in consecutive plays, the better that plays into LCA's advantage. If LCA gets in a game like they had with Danville or Frankfort then they'll most likely lose this game. Time of possession will decide this one most likely.

I agree with that statement. I believe that Shelby Valley will be able to control the clock IF they hold on to the football. Shelby Valley likes to defer and play defense first. Normally Shelby valley will get the stop and score first at the beginning of the game. They scored first in 9 of their 10 games so far this year. This gives them the advantage because they normally go in the half with the lead and come back out with the ball. If Shelby gets a couple stops and capitalizes off of them, they'll win this game.
Wildcats by 12
Gator95 Wrote:I agree with that statement. I believe that Shelby Valley will be able to control the clock IF they hold on to the football. Shelby Valley likes to defer and play defense first. Normally Shelby valley will get the stop and score first at the beginning of the game. They scored first in 9 of their 10 games so far this year. This gives them the advantage because they normally go in the half with the lead and come back out with the ball. If Shelby gets a couple stops and capitalizes off of them, they'll win this game.
Will make for an interesting decision for the coach if he wins the toss. Defer or take it? Based on what I've read on LCA, if I'm Valleys coach, I take it and go for a TD to take the lead and force LCA to play from behind.
Leslie County was very physical against LCA, was impressed with how they played, they played with a edge. They where a good football team
PHSForever Wrote:Will make for an interesting decision for the coach if he wins the toss. Defer or take it? Based on what I've read on LCA, if I'm Valleys coach, I take it and go for a TD to take the lead and force LCA to play from behind.
It should be a great game, one thing I would disagree about LCA they play better from behind, they have very diffent type of run game than valley.
RTL Wrote:It should be a great game, one thing I would disagree about LCA they play better from behind, they have very diffent type of run game than valley.

How is it different ? And how is it better playing from behind ?
oneijoe Wrote:How is it different ? And how is it better playing from behind ?

I was thinking the same thing. What football team in the world likes playing from behind and not having the lead? Especially playing against a clock eating team like Shelby Valley.
PHSForever Wrote:Will make for an interesting decision for the coach if he wins the toss. Defer or take it? Based on what I've read on LCA, if I'm Valleys coach, I take it and go for a TD to take the lead and force LCA to play from behind.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I've seen several coaches over the years that have lost games they shouldn't lose because they thought they needed to change something in the post season. If Shelby Valley is comfortable and use to deferring to the second half then I say keep it that way. Coaches don't realize sometimes when players see them changing things they have been successful with it creates tension and unneeded stress, because it can sometimes translate to the team that their coaches doesn't think they can win doing what they've always done. I'm not talking about adjustments you make for every team you play. The teams that succeed in the post season are the ones that can play the same style they've been playing throughout the year. Every coach has done it at one point in their career, and I'm no different, but everyone of them, including me, will tell you the immediate regret they had for ever changing anything in the post season and wishing they'd have just trusted their players and the way they were taught all year.
Didn't say it was good thing, just said LCA has fallen behind before and they have been able to speed the game up because how they play. LCA run game is not like the slow in pace Wing T that SV runs. As far as Whitman being hurt, I hope SV prepares that way
sounds like most on here thinks it will be " long night for LCA" I guess we will see. Should be fun
RTL Wrote:Didn't say it was good thing, just said LCA has fallen behind before and they have been able to speed the game up because how they play. LCA run game is not like the slow in pace Wing T that SV runs. As far as Whitman being hurt, I hope SV prepares that way

Shelby valley will not prepare expecting Whitman not to play. I'm sure they'll let Whitman all week in practice to prepare for him. If he doesn't play. I believe it will still be an advantage to valley. Valley is very physical and if Whitman is playing hurt. Valley will do everything to take advantage of that.
sounds like most on here thinks it will be " long night for LCA" I guess we will see. Should be fun game
I like the home team in this one. If Whitman is injured, it could get ugly. Assuming he plays, though, I'll say:

Shelby Valley - 36
LCA - 27
My prediction is a close game but Valley prevails at home and continues to the regional.
Gator95 Wrote:Shelby valley will not prepare expecting Whitman not to play. I'm sure they'll let Whitman all week in practice to prepare for him. If he doesn't play. I believe it will still be an advantage to valley. Valley is very physical and if Whitman is playing hurt. Valley will do everything to take advantage of that.
" valley will do everthing to take advantage of that " I guess you mean go after his legs, trust me he is use to that, Whitman is best Rb SV has faced and you better not sleep on his back up, both are very physical runners Ask the teams that has played both SV and LCA who has most physical running back
I bet Shelby valley would spot a touchdown if they promised them Whitman won't play and they will only run the back up Bc he's terrible.
cctiger Wrote:I bet Shelby valley would spot a touchdown if they promised them Whitman won't play and they will only run the back up Bc he's terrible.

The back-up is pretty good I think he is a freshman. Confusednicker:
baseball1974 Wrote:I still think the longer Whittman stays on the field and the longer Shelby Valleys defense has to play in consecutive plays, the better that plays into LCA's advantage. If LCA gets in a game like they had with Danville or Frankfort then they'll most likely lose this game. Time of possession will decide this one most likely.

That's exactly how I would describe Valley's game plan too. Stay with the ground attack, control the clock, and keep LCA's defense on the field. Most of SV's scoring comes off of long, time-consuming drives that wear down the opposing defense. If SV does not put the ball on the ground, LCA may have some tired defensive players by the 4th quarter.

I still say that if this gets into a shootout, then LCA will be the team that wins. They can score much more quickly than Valley can. Valley on the other hand is more likely to win a game with scores in the 20's.

I do agree that time of possession is key. And the key to time of possession is whether or not Valley can hang onto the ball. If they limit the fumbles, then they should be able to control the clock and win the game. If they don't, then LCA likely beats them by 2-3 TD's.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Some of you all take the posts on here to heart. Because I simply say that Whitman had a sprained ankle you assume I think that he's not gonna play and that his backup sucks? This is why it's hard to actually talk about sports to people.
Gator95 Wrote:Some of you all take the posts on here to heart. Because I simply say that Whitman had a sprained ankle you assume I think that he's not gonna play and that his backup sucks? This is why it's hard to actually talk about sports to people.

lol... A lot of the time it's nothing more than overexcited players/parents/fans looking for locker room material. Sometimes it makes better material to put words in others' mouths.

:igiveup:
oneijoe Wrote:lol... A lot of the time it's nothing more than overexcited players/parents/fans looking for locker room material. Sometimes it makes better material to put words in others' mouths.

I guess that's probably right. But if those boys aren't already motivated enough for what they are about to play for, then they've probably already lost anyways.
oneijoe Wrote:lol... A lot of the time it's nothing more than overexcited players/parents/fans looking for locker room material. Sometimes it makes better material to put words in others' mouths.

Well I was being honest when I said Whitmans back up isn't very good. He's really all they have on offense.
Ha ha okay we will see, Whitman is playing and so is Wheatley, but Wheatley will get enough carries for people to see on their own and he is just a freshman. should be a fun game
I know Whitman is the real deal . Probably will be as fine a ball player Valley will see this year. Reminds me a lot of Frazier from P-burg. I think Whitman will get his yards and Valley will get there's. But with that being said . Sounds like he may be all LCA has to work with . Of course Valleys bread and butter is Rowe and Tackett but they can throw the ball with some success they just choose not to . Nick Wallace , Andrew Newsome And Austin Elswick are as good as athletes that step foot on that field . And if need be they can throw the ball . I Think LCA is going to find out what every other team Valley has played this year found out . It's easier said then done to run on Valleys defense . They are very physical and and there pretty quick on the outside .should be a good game. Supposed to be very cold fri. Night. Could play into LCA favor if Valley has trouble holding on to the ball.