Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2A Championship
Moe Wrote:Thats what I was thinking, I'm not 100% sure SC will beat Prestonsburg.

i am 100% sc will beat them wait no i take that back im 250% sure they will beat them
FBALL Wrote:I kind of like the fact that people are looking at Russell as an untested team.

But honestly who HAS tested Russell?
Its more a reference to the fact that most of these kids started or played alot of valuable minutes for last years state championship team. I do believe they have some big game experience.

The question is attitude.
FBALL Wrote:Its more a reference to the fact that most of these kids started or played alot of valuable minutes for last years state championship team. I do believe they have some big game experience.

Yes they have the big game experience but do they have the heart to get there again?
Midee1 Wrote:Yes they have the big game experience but do they have the heart to get there again?

have to wait and find out!
Panther#42 Wrote:have to wait and find out!

Absolutely and I'll be there for every game pulling for them.
Midee1 Wrote:Yes they have the big game experience but do they have the heart to get there again?

I don't question their heart. I know these kids want to win. Focus and preparation is where there have been shortcomings. I don't believe there has been one game this year where this group didn't think all they had to do to win was just show up. The Ashland game should have gotten that message across. Play like that again and your season will end before you expect. Better start preparing like every team can beat you.
the great one is me Wrote:i am 100% sc will beat them wait no i take that back im 250% sure they will beat them
If you are that confident in the Cards then I guess I'll go with SC over PBurg.:thumpsup:
Russell or SC
Right now it may be Mercer's title to lose but I just don't see them making it to the championship game. They just haven't played anybody that is that good. Yea they played Newport but they just have not been that impressive. And I know they played Boyle Co. but Boyle Co. is down this year. I just think that the title for 2A is anybodies to win.
You guys talk like SC beat the shit out of Belfry
Many of you forgot Belfry lost in OT at SC..
Now that SC has beat Belfry.. They think that makes the State Champions..
Just because you beat the State Champions from 2 years ago, doesn't mean your champions..
There isn't nothing magical about Belfry that makes them untouchable..
Any team can get beat any night.. Its just the way the "cards" fell..
SC people think that since they beat "magical" Belfry, it makes them #1
They beat Belfry in OT at thier HOUSE
If you think Belfry will let SC come in thier house, and embarrass them again
on top of it being the playoffs.. then again.. your mistaken
I'm glad they did tho..
Because had they not, I'd say Belfry would have been more vulnerable in the playoffs when they met again..
FBALL Wrote:Merger vs Russell or Belfry. No reason to think it won't come down to those three.

I kind of like the fact that people are looking at Russell as an untested team.
Mabey 1 of those 3, Belfry has a tough road, I mean possibly a Sheldon Clark Match up 2nd round then a Middlesboro matchup possibly for the region. Russell is lucky the playoffs changed or they'd get Mercer in the region and lights out.I love the way when a team like Western lose a game everybody writes them off. Just wait and see...............the most atheletic team in 2A still wins it. Western finishes 14-1 and all the doubters will say" I knew Western would win it". Wait and see. Western/Middlesboro 2A title
Getum-Choppin Wrote:Mabey 1 of those 3, Belfry has a tough road, I mean possibly a Sheldon Clark Match up 2nd round then a Middlesboro matchup possibly for the region. Russell is lucky the playoffs changed or they'd get Mercer in the region and lights out.I love the way when a team like Western lose a game everybody writes them off. Just wait and see...............the most atheletic team in 2A still wins it. Western finishes 14-1 and all the doubters will say" I knew Western would win it". Wait and see. Western/Middlesboro 2A title

Yes Western and Mercer could be great teams. But how much playoff and big game experience do they have. It is very possible that the deeper into the playoffs they get the more nervous they are. When they get nervous they make mistakes. Russell and Belfry have recent big game experience that I think will help them over come that problem.
Getum-Choppin Wrote:Russell is lucky the playoffs changed or they'd get Mercer in the region and lights out.

I recall that very same thing being said last year at the state game. " Russell can't play with OC" OC has to many weapons. OC has a separate defense and offense and Russell can't hang with them. Russell has to many players going both ways and will run out of steam. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

Who has the ring?
mrfootball03 Wrote:You guys talk like SC beat the shit out of Belfry
Many of you forgot Belfry lost in OT at SC..
Now that SC has beat Belfry.. They think that makes the State Champions..
Just because you beat the State Champions from 2 years ago, doesn't mean your champions..
There isn't nothing magical about Belfry that makes them untouchable..
Any team can get beat any night.. Its just the way the "cards" fell..
SC people think that since they beat "magical" Belfry, it makes them #1
They beat Belfry in OT at thier HOUSE
If you think Belfry will let SC come in thier house, and embarrass them again
on top of it being the playoffs.. then again.. your mistaken
I'm glad they did tho..
Because had they not, I'd say Belfry would have been more vulnerable in the playoffs when they met again..

I've thought all year that this team could make it to state. Not because they beat Belfry. I will admit when they lost to Pburg i questioned how much they wanted to win. The win against Belfry just reassured me that they wanted it.
Now with SC beating Belfry in the regular season it makes it a bit tougher on the cards. Hard to beat belfry at home as well as twice in the same season. I believe they have the talent to do it this year. Two hard running backs, a reciever with great hands, and a fullback that doesn't care to block. SC always has a good line, now that they have skill players they could be dangerous.
Getum-Choppin Wrote:Mabey 1 of those 3, Belfry has a tough road, I mean possibly a Sheldon Clark Match up 2nd round then a Middlesboro matchup possibly for the region. Russell is lucky the playoffs changed or they'd get Mercer in the region and lights out.I love the way when a team like Western lose a game everybody writes them off. Just wait and see...............the most atheletic team in 2A still wins it. Western finishes 14-1 and all the doubters will say" I knew Western would win it". Wait and see. Western/Middlesboro 2A title

I've never considered Western a favorite so it would be kind of hard for me to write them off because of Fridays loss. Yes Belfry has a tough path through the playoffs, and the same could be said for Mercer that you just said about Russell. It is what it is. I'll take Russell, Mercer and Belfry over Middlesboro, Western and Sheldon Clark any day.
Sheldon Clark will beat Prestonsburg no problem, and they will get past belfry and they will play for the State title
the jackets any got a chance ta make it ta state...
Moe Wrote:Mercer and Middlesboro.
Russell and Belfry...the NEW SERIES tied at one each...winner wins STATE again.:devilflam andTongueirateSho isnt it great...lets see another game like last year.
Russell and Belfry
the 2-a state title, in my book is up for grabs.. its about who shows up to play and who wants it the most.....i honestly don't know who will win..whether it be mercer, russell, belfry......(so on and so on) i do know that if russell doesnt figure out whats going on and startt comming to play then they're not goin anywhere.:eek:
im going to say sheldon clark this year because i have a lot of confindense that they will not let p'burg beat them again and than they'll play belfry who they already beaten.
sc and belfry game is in the past. I dont see a repeat...by the way,I want too see Belfry's new complex.Since we have to travel this year.
personally i think mercer is NOT gonna make it to the state game... Russel has too much comin back and they're way too powerful... i played against them in the regional heartbreaker last year.. and they are a serious powerhouse team... they havent lost much to graduation... i just dont understand how ppl can hand mercer county the title because of a merger... when in the stats Russell IMO is better. no disrespect to mercer... but I KNOW what russell has to offer... they beat an extremely good newport team last year and lost nothing.so until someone proves me wrong im gonna have to say RUSSELL ALL THE WAY!!!
nptnorse06 Wrote:personally i think mercer is NOT gonna make it to the state game... Russel has too much comin back and they're way too powerful... i played against them in the regional heartbreaker last year.. and they are a serious powerhouse team... they havent lost much to graduation... i just dont understand how ppl can hand mercer county the title because of a merger... when in the stats Russell IMO is better. no disrespect to mercer... but I KNOW what russell has to offer... they beat an extremely good newport team last year and lost nothing.so until someone proves me wrong im gonna have to say RUSSELL ALL THE WAY!!!

Well I have to say this. Russell lost 11 seniors last year. I believe that 9 played both a large amount of time. Let's see if I can get the names together.

Tim Smith- Guard
Drew Mell- Tackle
Tommy Brown- QB and CB
Micheal Horn- DB
Michael Schafer- NG and Tackle
Derek Timberlake-Linebacker
Justin Potter-RB
Chad Edwards-FB
Cameron Perry-TE

They lost a ton to graduation last year. But Ivan has a way of putting a good team together even if he does lose a lot.

Off topic. You wouldn't happen to be at NKU this year. I just guessed from your user name. I'm assuming NPT is Newport and Norse in the NKU mascot. The only reason I ask is that I have a son there that played on last years team.
The main contributors that are returning from last year are:

Tyler Jones- CB and QB
Kasey Clark- RB and DB
Jacob Size more- S and TE
Dwain Evans- Kicker
Josh Wills- LB

There were a lot of underclassmen that saw a lot of playing time due to some blowout games. I think this is what helps Ivan put together good teams every year.
Midee1 Wrote:The main contributors that are returning from last year are:

Tyler Jones- CB and QB
Kasey Clark- RB and DB
Jacob Size more- S and TE
Dwain Evans- Kicker
Josh Wills- LB

There were a lot of underclassmen that saw a lot of playing time due to some blowout games. I think this is what helps Ivan put together good teams every year.

I would add Aaron Beekman and Nick Lewis who played huge in the finals.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:I would add Aaron Beekman and Nick Lewis who played huge in the finals.

Crap! Good catch. How could I possibly leave those 2 out.:thumpsup:
Marcus Frazier has really came along way at receiver too and is a nice complement to Jacob Sizemore.:thumpsup:
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Marcus Frazier has really came along way at receiver too and is a nice complement to Jacob Sizemore.:thumpsup:

Agreed he has stepped up to that plate quite nicely as a fill in for the injured Sizemore. Although he saw limited action in the playoff game last year.