Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike Central Coaching Search
Thacker, I think, would be good. However, I'm really hoping it's not May!
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Probably the same thing causing the exodus of coaches all across KY. 41 Head football jobs have come open this year...the 5th-6th year in a row where that many have come open.

People are getting smart, and getting the hell out . Way to much headache & hours, and not enough pay.

Don't forget those June practices Duck, that will run em' off too. :1:
^^ Those along with 100 other things just to get started as reasons why are factors.

Dont forget....you can be anything you want to be if you just work hard enough.

At my stature, I'm dang sure glad I never wanted to be a jockey.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:He probably saw that he wasnt going to be getting the HFC job at Belfry anytime soon, and PCC was his chance.

he won a couple 8th grade county championships at Belfry(I know it was only middle school)but I think he would do good there..
No doubt.

Probably just bad timing..

There are a lot more good coaches at bad programs, than the other way around.

I bet few know that Kevin Wallace was Bowling Green's 4th choice back in the summer of '96. He was an assistant at the time for BG, but had been the HC at Warren East for several years before that. I think he was something like 20 games below .500 at East.

Who right now would ever imagine that?

Which for Tigerblues, I hear June practices are whats helped BG turn into the monster they are, again. Smile
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:^^ Those along with 100 other things just to get started as reasons why are factors.

Dont forget....you can be anything you want to be if you just work hard enough.

At my stature, I'm dang sure glad I never wanted to be a jockey.

I just wanted to win.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Easy and totally understandable to feel this way. But, let me ask you this....do you feel that a HS HFC is equally as important as Jane Doe English teacher at the HS who doesn't coach anything?

Seriously, a great English teacher is 10X more valuable than a great football coach. Seriously.
jetpilot Wrote:Seriously, a great English teacher is 10X more valuable than a great football coach. Seriously.

With all the grammar and spelling errors on this site an educated person would really hope so.
Real Badman Wrote:With all the grammar and spelling errors on this site an educated person would really hope so.

Not just on this site but everywhere.

I might be the biggest football fan on here, but unless playing football is going to be your profession (and I don't know of any professional football players from this area), you better get a great education...
Agreed. All day long and twice on Sunday, but the reason why I posted that question is because....if Jane Doe teacher, who coaches nothing is so much more important than a coach...why dont kids, parents, admin, etc get so tore up when one bails for another job; be it January or July like they do if a coach does the same. Double standard IMO.

Truth be told, I think they are both equally as important. The actual teaching and education might be different, but whats taught, in many ways are just as valuable.
TigerBlues Wrote:I just wanted to win.

You and me both my friend.

You have heard of John Gagliardi, yes?
^I hear you and don't disagree with anything you said.
I wish Pike Central the best this year.
cuppett777 Wrote:I think he would be the closest to beating Belfry,since that's where he came from,Chapman probally just didn't listen to him..

You're suh smart
No dog in this fight. Did anyone else hear WYMT and Amis say that Chapman already had his app. in so he went and made sure he was coming. That tells me he was coming when Haddix was there. JMO he could have done this much earlier. This can not work out good for program.
cuppett777 Wrote:I think he would be the closest to beating Belfry,since that's where he came from,Chapman probally just didn't listen to him..

I'm not confident hiring May would retain many players either. The team right now is built around a spread offense which he would do away with likely and go to a ground game.
I am pretty close to this situation and if May were hired Pc would lose it's best talents to transfer. Look for the hire to come down to Shawn Thacker or Ronn Varney (currently on staff former PC middle head coach).
iwatchhawks Wrote:I am pretty close to this situation and if May were hired Pc would lose it's best talents to transfer. Look for the hire to come down to Shawn Thacker or Ronn Varney (currently on staff former PC middle head coach).

Varney isn't ready I know they have several applicants. Still think Thacker is a no brainer, he already works within the school system so you aren't battling the BOE to open up a teaching job. He is a proven winner he has had nothing but success where ever he has been and he is a motivator. Biggest question mark if you hire him, who runs the show on offense need someone who runs spread otherwise you will lose all of your skill players.
Varney had already been promoted to oc this offseason and has ran the spread for several years now and coached all this kids in the spread in middle school. If Thacker is hired Varney will be retained as oc.
iwatchhawks Wrote:Varney had already been promoted to oc this offseason and has ran the spread for several years now and coached all this kids in the spread in middle school. If Thacker is hired Varney will be retained as oc.

I understand your position. But will he want to stay if he is passed for HC?
UpYours Wrote:Any chance James Derossett would leave Prestonsburg to take a head coaching job that has had success as of late, is headed in the right direction, and has some good up and coming talent. Or is he going to wait John out and remain an assistant his entire career? I think this would be a great opportunity for a good coach such as James. Would his wife being from PCC have any bearing? What are your thoughts?

His wife is at Prestonsburg now. I think James is happy at Prestonsburg, but of course I'm not James so I can't speak for him.
Varney is with PC for the long haul. Alum and knows this will not be his last shot at HC if it does not work out. He is a great man and is still young and just wants what is best for the program and kids.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Varney isn't ready I know they have several applicants. Still think Thacker is a no brainer, he already works within the school system so you aren't battling the BOE to open up a teaching job. He is a proven winner he has had nothing but success where ever he has been and he is a motivator. Biggest question mark if you hire him, who runs the show on offense need someone who runs spread otherwise you will lose all of your skill players.

It ain't gonna happen, teaching or not.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I'm not confident hiring May would retain many players either. The team right now is built around a spread offense which he would do away with likely and go to a ground game.

I thought about that after I posted very good point...
I hate it when I'm right....Chapman is a crap human being...
Spuds Wrote:It ain't gonna happen, teaching or not.

Care to elaborate?
No elaboration and I'm not being rude, it is just not going to happen.
Basically I've heard from a recent boosters meeting, the job is basically down to Shawn Thacker or Ronn Varney.

Keith May did applied, but I heard he revoked it and is now trying to shift his focus towards landing the vacant Pike Central basketball job.
Keith May did not apply. You are crazy.
Best Ever Wrote:Keith May did not apply. You are crazy.

Just passing along what I heard, but it appears he's not in the running.

So oh well...