Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike Central Coaching Search
With John Chapman resigning & heading to Perry just before the season, what direction will Pike Central go towards filling the Head Coaching position?
Who will be the candidates?
Pike Central may have to go the interim route for the time being since the season is right around the corner. They could just promote one of the assistants to the head coaching position and leave it at that.
With it being this late in the year, I wouldn't be surprised. They are stacked for this coming year aren't they?
Is this 100%?
IntheZone Wrote:Is this 100%?

Yeah. WYMT confirmed it along with Jordan Amis at Perry Central.
They don't have to look far former Johns Creek Alumni coaches at Pikeville. If they're smart they will go after Shawn Thacker. Calls are already being made I can assure you of that.
It won't take very long to make a hire, and it'll likely be someone that is familiar with the program.
IntheZone Wrote:Is this 100%?

Yes, it was on WYMT.
May or Thacker?
Now what is pike cent fans opinion of chapman
bucslover68 Wrote:May or Thacker?

I think May should get it
former Wrote:Now what is pike cent fans opinion of chapman

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll forever be thankful for what he done for our program.

He really has turned our program into one of the better teams in East KY.
Mr. Pike Central Wrote:I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll forever be thankful for what he done for our program.

He really has turned our program into one of the better teams in East KY.

And left you like a POS, seems to me if he cared about the people there he would have stayed. Goes from being a head coach to assistant tells me he hated it there an wanted out.
former Wrote:Now what is pike cent fans opinion of chapman

Chapman is gone, he did a good job for Central. The grass is always greener on the other side.
cuppett777 Wrote:I think May should get it

My thoughts were the same. However, told by someone close to the issue May isn't in play as of right now.
I sure hope you guys get those kids an excellent coach, You all gave Williamsburg a hell of a game, You were one of the best teams we played with a awesome QB.
If you were driving 75 miles one way every day (over 150 miles per day) and with the price of gas being what it is...And then you end up taking a substantial pay cut....I don't think his decision had anything to do with how he felt about the kids at Pike Central......The kids know that.
3 of the 4 major high school sports need coaches at Pike Central and they have LIMITED teaching jobs.

Pike County as a whole is starting to lose good coaches and they are being replaced by avg. coaches at best.

What is going on?
Why did he take a pay cut? Were all coaches at Pike cut?
I think their are many ways to go for this. I would look at maybe hiring from another school. Great young talent and some returning players that will make the job very inticing. I would make a short list of coaches from pikeville, floyd county and even Hager from Sheldon Clark.

I would definitely say that chapman done what he felt was best for him. Even though some parents, players, and members of hawk nation might seem mad, they need to realize you have to do what's best for your family.
Any chance James Derossett would leave Prestonsburg to take a head coaching job that has had success as of late, is headed in the right direction, and has some good up and coming talent. Or is he going to wait John out and remain an assistant his entire career? I think this would be a great opportunity for a good coach such as James. Would his wife being from PCC have any bearing? What are your thoughts?
As someone stated previously, it really goes to show you what schools in Pike County are really stable. 4 of the 6 high schools have needed head football coaches this off season, and unluckily for Pike Central, they too need boys and girls basketball coaches. I'm sure teaching positions in the county will have a lot more of an impact than anything else.
Long way to go, it's still early, but if Pike Central nabs Shawn Thacker, he will continue to grow the program. Would really hate to lose him, but it would be a great move by Central.
former Wrote:And left you like a POS, seems to me if he cared about the people there he would have stayed. Goes from being a head coach to assistant tells me he hated it there an wanted out.

Easy and totally understandable to feel this way. But, let me ask you this....do you feel that a HS HFC is equally as important as Jane Doe English teacher at the HS who doesn't coach anything?
sportscritic Wrote:I think their are many ways to go for this. I would look at maybe hiring from another school. Great young talent and some returning players that will make the job very inticing. I would make a short list of coaches from pikeville, floyd county and even Hager from Sheldon Clark.

I would definitely say that chapman done what he felt was best for him. Even though some parents, players, and members of hawk nation might seem mad, they need to realize you have to do what's best for your family.

You said it with the last. So true.

Amazing how we can condemn coaches, but let lawyers, docs, insurance agents, bankers...even teachers and admin leave their current jobs and nobody says a word.

Timing sucks. That's it. But the boys will be fine. We forget how we all were at 14-18....pain and hurt is always temporary, but especially at that age. This will sting until the weekend is over and they will all all be fine.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:My thoughts were the same. However, told by someone close to the issue May isn't in play as of right now.

I think he would be the closest to beating Belfry,since that's where he came from,Chapman probally just didn't listen to him..
Chapman is a fine coach and will be a big loss. What is spurring the exodus of coaches in Pike County?
cuppett777 Wrote:I think he would be the closest to beating Belfry,since that's where he came from,Chapman probally just didn't listen to him..

I have to disagree with you there. Just because he is from there doesn't mean anything. Pc's first coach was a May from Belfry and had also been an asst. at Belfry and he couldn't even win a game. I don't know much about Coach May but if he was that good of a coach Belfry would of not let him go and just because he played and came from Belfry doesn't mean he could beat them or give Central a better chance to win.
E's Army Wrote:Chapman is a fine coach and will be a big loss. What is spurring the exodus of coaches in Pike County?

Probably the same thing causing the exodus of coaches all across KY. 41 Head football jobs have come open this year...the 5th-6th year in a row where that many have come open.

People are getting smart, and getting the hell out . Way to much headache & hours, and not enough pay.
centralfan77 Wrote:I have to disagree with you there. Just because he is from there doesn't mean anything. Pc's first coach was a May from Belfry and had also been an asst. at Belfry and he couldn't even win a game. I don't know much about Coach May but if he was that good of a coach Belfry would of not let him go and just because he played and came from Belfry doesn't mean he could beat them or give Central a better chance to win.

He probably saw that he wasnt going to be getting the HFC job at Belfry anytime soon, and PCC was his chance.