Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell co starts 0-2??
Okay, maybe they didn't trounce them. But, they did beat them. Last time I checked thats all that matters. Harlan scores 39 points..thats not good. I can't remember a state tournament team struggling to put the ball in the hole like that. 25 turnovers isn't good either. Looks like Bell is either in a funk or was overrated. On the flip side, Harlan County is 2-0 and did "Trounce" Pineville last night by something like 20. They look like the best team in the district right now. They have very solid guard play, great shooters and they have some size. So, I'll update my district rankings. Harlan Co., Middlesboro, Bell Co. Harlan. Do you disagree??
TheProfessor33 Wrote:Okay, maybe they didn't trounce them. But, they did beat them. Last time I checked thats all that matters. Harlan scores 39 points..thats not good. I can't remember a state tournament team struggling to put the ball in the hole like that. 25 turnovers isn't good either. Looks like Bell is either in a funk or was overrated. On the flip side, Harlan County is 2-0 and did "Trounce" Pineville last night by something like 20. They look like the best team in the district right now. They have very solid guard play, great shooters and they have some size. So, I'll update my district rankings. Harlan Co., Middlesboro, Bell Co. Harlan. Do you disagree??

Guys, I think these teams are pretty evenly matched.

In our power rankings, we have Bell Co at 12 and Harlan at 8. Harlan will probably drop while Bell will come up a little, but they're still close. Let's just enjoy watching the 52nd District unfold. I think Harlan County is ahead of the pack, with Bell, Harlan Ind., and M'boro fighting for second.
TriCountySports Wrote:Does anyone have stats from Tyler Miller (Harlan) or Tyler Potter (Bell Co)?

Miller had 13 and 13
Potter had 21..
Harlan Native Wrote:Miller had 13 and 13
Potter had 21..

Thanks.

Miller has to start scoring more for Harlan if they're going to do anything this year. They need a scorer badly!
TheProfessor33 Wrote:Okay, maybe they didn't trounce them. But, they did beat them. Last time I checked thats all that matters. Harlan scores 39 points..thats not good. I can't remember a state tournament team struggling to put the ball in the hole like that. 25 turnovers isn't good either. Looks like Bell is either in a funk or was overrated. On the flip side, Harlan County is 2-0 and did "Trounce" Pineville last night by something like 20. They look like the best team in the district right now. They have very solid guard play, great shooters and they have some size. So, I'll update my district rankings. Harlan Co., Middlesboro, Bell Co. Harlan. Do you disagree??

I just don't see how you can rank Middlesboro above Bell Co. or Harlan.. After getting beat by Bville that bad, I can't see how you put them there.. Also, I don't believe HC is "Head of the pack" either. They beat Pineville(ranked 13th) and LCC(a very down team), not taking away from their 2-0 record, I just believe the 52nd will be very unpredictable this year...
By the way the season has started, Bell , Middlesboro and Pineville will not be very good this year. Just have fun watching, they will not make it past the first round of region.
Rankings this early in the season mean nothing to me. You don't have the ability to know how these teams will gel or how much heart a team has when they get down by a score or two.

I think the district is close. To be honest with you, I was surprised in last night's game by how deep HC is. I had no idea! Jones would substitute five for five, and lose little if anything. Talent would be "different", but still there.

I'm excited for 52nd district play this year, and wish all teams the best of luck!!
Harlan County is ahead of the pack because they pass the "eye test" right now. Pineville and LCC arent the best measuring sticks, but this team played very well this summer. If im not mistaken, they beat Johnson Central and Cordia among others. You are really underestimating this team. Like I said, they have experience in the junior class. They have size with Caldwell, Lee, and Massey. Caldwell is as skilled a player at his size as there is around here. He plays inside or out, handles the ball and makes plays. Massey mans the paint, rebounds, and plays great post D. They are the best shooting team in the distrcit as well...period. Dont even try to argue that point. They have 6 guys that can shoot the three effectively. The difference tho will be guard play, and Harlan county has plenty of that. Great ball handling team!!
I rank Middlesboro ahead of harlan simply because Harlan's youth in the backcourt will be too much to overcome. I think they turned it over 20 plus times last night. That will not get it done. Foister at middlesboro will be a steady hand in the backcourt, and that means something on all levels. Now with that said, if Harlan's guards mature and start handling the ball with more consistency then maybe they become legit.
TheProfessor33 Wrote:Harlan County is ahead of the pack because they pass the "eye test" right now. Pineville and LCC arent the best measuring sticks, but this team played very well this summer. If im not mistaken, they beat Johnson Central and Cordia among others. You are really underestimating this team. Like I said, they have experience in the junior class. They have size with Caldwell, Lee, and Massey. Caldwell is as skilled a player at his size as there is around here. He plays inside or out, handles the ball and makes plays. Massey mans the paint, rebounds, and plays great post D. They are the best shooting team in the distrcit as well...period. Dont even try to argue that point. They have 6 guys that can shoot the three effectively. The difference tho will be guard play, and Harlan county has plenty of that. Great ball handling team!!

I agree with you on this point. They certainly pass the eye test. Also, they have a great coaching staff and kids who have had success at the JV and middle school levels. Now, I don't put as much stock into that as others, but they know how to play. They aren't the best team in the region, but they are the best in their district.

TheProfessor33 Wrote:I rank Middlesboro ahead of harlan simply because Harlan's youth in the backcourt will be too much to overcome. I think they turned it over 20 plus times last night. That will not get it done. Foister at middlesboro will be a steady hand in the backcourt, and that means something on all levels. Now with that said, if Harlan's guards mature and start handling the ball with more consistency then maybe they become legit.

Middlesboro lost by 50+ points to Jackson Co and barely beat OBI. I have no confidence in them, at this point, despite having Foister and Poindexter. I think Harlan and Bell are both better than the Jackets, up to now.
Harlan Native Wrote:I just don't see how you can rank Middlesboro above Bell Co. or Harlan.. After getting beat by Bville that bad, I can't see how you put them there.. Also, I don't believe HC is "Head of the pack" either. They beat Pineville(ranked 13th) and LCC(a very down team), not taking away from their 2-0 record, I just believe the 52nd will be very unpredictable this year...

Mike Jones has had one losing season in his career and that was his first season at HC. This will not be his second losing season. Keep in mind, he is in the top 20 of all time wins for KY basketball coaches. This team will continue to improve and, for now, they are the leader in the 52nd. The other teams have proven to be unstable, so far.

It could be unpredictable at the end of the season, but, for now, the other three teams are just too unreliable.

Take this for example:

Bell Co loses to Whitley and gets blown out by Jackson.
Harlan beats North.
Bell Co beats Harlan.
Middlesboro loses to B'ville by 17, by 50+ to Jackson and barely beats OBI.

The Black Bears are at least beating the teams they should beat. None of the other teams are doing that right now.
Bell County has only been out of football season for about 20 days or so. There shouldn't be any worries in Pineville at this point in the season.
TheProfessor33 Wrote:Harlan County is ahead of the pack because they pass the "eye test" right now. Pineville and LCC arent the best measuring sticks, but this team played very well this summer. If im not mistaken, they beat Johnson Central and Cordia among others. You are really underestimating this team. Like I said, they have experience in the junior class. They have size with Caldwell, Lee, and Massey. Caldwell is as skilled a player at his size as there is around here. He plays inside or out, handles the ball and makes plays. Massey mans the paint, rebounds, and plays great post D. They are the best shooting team in the distrcit as well...period. Dont even try to argue that point. They have 6 guys that can shoot the three effectively. The difference tho will be guard play, and Harlan county has plenty of that. Great ball handling team!!

You are correct, they did beat JC and cordia this summer..... With Miller on the team, who was without a doubt the best player they had.. Also, I know for a fact Cordia didnt have cunningham OR Keita at the time.. Those summer wins are pointless, if we are going off of that, I do beleive HHS beat Corbin this summer, does that automatically qualify them to be top 5 in the region?
I think Harlan Co. is very underrated. Losing some bigger names to graduation has some folks sleeping on this team. I'm telling you This team plays very well together. They have size (not huge), but enough size. They have shooting, and they have very good guard play. The two Freshmen they have are very good, and play beyond their years. I think they are hands down, the best team in the district. In fact, it may not be close. I think Bell Co. will get it together and may have a chance to challenge Harlan Co. I still say Middlesboro is 3rd. Foister and Poindexter are just too good. I don't know what's going on with them right now, but Middlesboro has proven to be very dangerous the past few years. Foister can score in bunches and Poindexter is a man in the paint when he wants to be. Harlan has some size, but again, you have to have someone to take care of the ball. At this point, I don't see anyone that can do that for them.
Does it qualify them for top 5?? You are the one talking Frankfort and Lexington.
TheProfessor33 Wrote:I think Harlan Co. is very underrated. Losing some bigger names to graduation has some folks sleeping on this team. I'm telling you This team plays very well together. They have size (not huge), but enough size. They have shooting, and they have very good guard play. The two Freshmen they have are very good, and play beyond their years. I think they are hands down, the best team in the district. In fact, it may not be close. I think Bell Co. will get it together and may have a chance to challenge Harlan Co. I still say Middlesboro is 3rd. Foister and Poindexter are just too good. I don't know what's going on with them right now, but Middlesboro has proven to be very dangerous the past few years. Foister can score in bunches and Poindexter is a man in the paint when he wants to be. Harlan has some size, but again, you have to have someone to take care of the ball. At this point, I don't see anyone that can do that for them.

I dont see how you think they have sub par guard play? Busroe, if im not mistaken, had only 3 turnovers.. Now, I will give it to you, although HHS does have good size in their big men, the Simpson kid is underachieving a lot this year... And regardless of what you and I may say, come January 14th the much anticipated HC vs. HHS will be nothing short of a barn burner...
TheProfessor33 Wrote:Does it qualify them for top 5?? You are the one talking Frankfort and Lexington.

Yes, that is the goal... Just as it is for every team..
I think he had more than 3 (quite a few more than three). The team had over 20 for the game. Are you saying that is acceptable for your guards?? Would you say that is squeezing the orange?? And, I disagree, I don't think the matchup between Harlan and HC will be a barn burner. I don't think Harlan matches up well with them. Here's why. Harlan County has skilled, quick guards that can play pressure D. I would imagine that they will pressure the heck out of Harlan's guards. Unless they get a whole lot better at handling the rock, I think they turn it over more than 20 times in that game. Harlan County's bigs are more than capable of holding their own with Harlan's size also. Now, im not saying on a given night the Harlan couldn't have a great night and beat them. But, player for player and matchups..Harlan County is better.
I think Harlan's guards will play better, just 14 points last night between the three of them.
It was a game that could have gone either way, and Bell is the best team on Harlan's schedule, according to the preseason rankings.

The stat that surprised me was only six players took shots for Harlan.
I think some of the expectations are getting out of hand this early. Making it to The Arena would be a big step forward. None of the Dragons have played there, except Miller.

Calm down Professor, and don't lecture me on Caldwell, Lee or Massey!! Caldwell is my biological grand nephew, but much more like my grandson living next door. You can tell me NOTHING about that young man!!!

TheProfessor33 Wrote:I rank Middlesboro ahead of harlan simply because Harlan's youth in the backcourt will be too much to overcome. I think they turned it over 20 plus times last night. That will not get it done. Foister at middlesboro will be a steady hand in the backcourt, and that means something on all levels. Now with that said, if Harlan's guards mature and start handling the ball with more consistency then maybe they become legit.

Foister is one of the best guards in the whole region, IMO; mainly because he plays just as hard on D as he does on O......great kid, too!!

Harlan Native Wrote:You are correct, they did beat JC and cordia this summer..... With Miller on the team, who was without a doubt the best player they had.. Also, I know for a fact Cordia didnt have cunningham OR Keita at the time.. Those summer wins are pointless, if we are going off of that, I do beleive HHS beat Corbin this summer, does that automatically qualify them to be top 5 in the region?

This is a true statement. I would; however, argue that Miller was the best player we had. Skills are certainly there, but they must be coachable in order to be effective.

TheProfessor33 Wrote:I think Harlan Co. is very underrated. Losing some bigger names to graduation has some folks sleeping on this team. I'm telling you This team plays very well together. They have size (not huge), but enough size. They have shooting, and they have very good guard play. The two Freshmen they have are very good, and play beyond their years. I think they are hands down, the best team in the district. In fact, it may not be close. I think Bell Co. will get it together and may have a chance to challenge Harlan Co. I still say Middlesboro is 3rd. Foister and Poindexter are just too good. I don't know what's going on with them right now, but Middlesboro has proven to be very dangerous the past few years. Foister can score in bunches and Poindexter is a man in the paint when he wants to be. Harlan has some size, but again, you have to have someone to take care of the ball. At this point, I don't see anyone that can do that for them.

I don't particularly agree with the first bolded statement. That still remains to be seen. Foister and Poindexter have played together so long, that they are a frightening and productive team when they are clicking. I would watch this Middlesboro team; they have a wonderful coach, too.
I just tried to edit the post above, but it's been too long!
When I re-read it just now, I realize that I chose a poorly worded sentence in describing Miller.

What I meant was that Miller has the skill set, but he needs to control his emotions more. He is so passionate about his basketball. That's a good thing as long as you keep those emotions in check.

I would never want to be accused of saying negative things about any player, and just want to clarify my statement.
Granny Bear Wrote:I just tried to edit the post above, but it's been too long!
When I re-read it just now, I realize that I chose a poorly worded sentence in describing Miller.

What I meant was that Miller has the skill set, but he needs to control his emotions more. He is so passionate about his basketball. That's a good thing as long as you keep those emotions in check.

I would never want to be accused of saying negative things about any player, and just want to clarify my statement.

Granny Bear seems like you are still keeping those guys honest over there. Keep up the good work. Peace be among us. Brother Cecil.
Nice to hear from you Brother Cecil...last time I talked with you, I was on my way to Hilton Head, I believe!!!
Granny Bear Wrote:Nice to hear from you Brother Cecil...last time I talked with you, I was on my way to Hilton Head, I believe!!!

Has it been that long. I have been out of the area for a while but it's nice to be back especially for basketball season. How good are the Bears this year. The truth will stand when all else falls. Brother Cecil.
I'm picking Bell Co to really pick it up in the Bowman Classic, which starts tomorrow.

Here is my preview and predictions for the tournament:

Bowman Classic at Lynn Camp
I agree with HDE. The expextations for Harlan Ind. are out of hand. This is a very young team that obviously has issues at the guard position. Guard play is so critical to a team's success on all levels. We all watched UK miss the tournament last year because they did not have a kid that could handle the ball and control the flow and tempo of a game. It is absolutely critical!! Harlan has talent in their backcourt. However, talent doesn't always translate to success. Unless, Harlan's guards improve their ball handling and find ways to take care of the ball, they will be very inconsistent. Again, this is where I feel Harlan Co., Bell Co., and even Middlesboro have an advantage. They have solid backcourt guards. They have kids that take care of the ball and limit turnovers. The numbers from the Bell Co./Harlan game tell the story (39 points and 20 plus turnovers). I'm not saying their kids can't improve and get better as the season progresses, but these other district teams are quite a bit ahead of them in this department, and that is a huge advantage.
Middlesboro visits us tonight for a three game marathon!! Freshman, JV and Varsity. I'm anxious to see how we match up against them.
We need to start another thread other than Bell starts off 0-2 Lol. People are still saying Harlan is young, but again look at Harlan's roster. They have 6 or 7 kids who started or played big time minutes on the varsity level. Can anyone name me teams that has that type of playing experience back from last year. Again, I am not talking about getting in the game for a few minutes. I am talking about playing 20+ minutes in every game last year. Harlan starts a couple of young kids, but so does everyone else in the 13th region these days.
We do tend to get off topic sometimes, don't we?

Confusednicker:
I think HDE was pointing out that Tyler Miller is the only one on the Harlan roster with experience in a regional tournament. So, they have inexperience coupled with their youth. Harlan Co., Bell Co., and Middlesboro all have multiple players who have played big minutes in a reginoal tournament. The point is people are expecting way too much out of Harlan's kids. I'm hearing Frankfort, Lexington, district championship so on and so forth. that is an enormous amount of pressure for a team with so much youth and inexperience.