Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3A Ranking the playoffs are set !!!
FBALL Wrote:I don't know what happened in the game at Newport, maybe injuries or just a subpar game, but the only team that played them competitively in district was Russell.

If you compare Mason and Bourbon just by scores against Common opponents both teams blew out Harrison County.

This Friday will tell the story on Mason County.

Scott traditionally is a weak team but they have a quality squad this year and probably enter this game as the slight favorite over Mason County.

If Mason wins or barely loses then I think it confirms they are a legit Top 10 team in 3A, if they lose big then I think it is safe to say their record is a product of a weak schedule and Mason is a substantial underdog in the 3A picture, if they win comfortably then Mason County is for real and have to be considered a legit threat in 3A.
Belfrey/Central finals...same song different verse.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:You know what I see? I tremendous drop off in quality of teams. It looks to me like the new DC benefited greatly by not having to play the first half of the schedule.

This is true to an extent. However I would argue that with the much stronger defense that PT now has, there is a very good chance that they win at least 2 and as many as 4 of those five games they lost.

Even the Highlands game was a 3 point margin until pretty late in the game.
FBALL Wrote:You guys are underselling Mason.

Not underselling,, it's difficult to evaluate the talent based on the schedule.
They have done very well with a bunch of below .500 teams. The
competition is going to escalate dramatically during the playoffs so they will
have their chance to prove themselves. And, like you said the only
comparison is the Harrison county game which was lopsided for both Mason
and Bourbon. But Bourbon went a quarter and a half with starters and finished
the game with JV and freshmen.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:This Friday will tell the story on Mason County.

Scott traditionally is a weak team but they have a quality squad this year and probably enter this game as the slight favorite over Mason County.

If Mason wins or barely loses then I think it confirms they are a legit Top 10 team in 3A, if they lose big then I think it is safe to say their record is a product of a weak schedule and Mason is a substantial underdog in the 3A picture, if they win comfortably then Mason County is for real and have to be considered a legit threat in 3A.
Bourbon hasn't exactly played the roughest schedule either.
FBALL Wrote:Bourbon hasn't exactly played the roughest schedule either.

Agreed, But with their 9-0 record, there is 5 teams at .500 or better.
Estill is 4-5, Western Hills 1-8 and Bath is 2-7 all within their district,
while Harrison at 2-7 is the only below .500 team and out of district.

And Mason's 2 teams above .500 Lewis and Russell had light out of district
games.

So, yes, Bourbon's hasn't been that tough either, just tougher than
Mason's. I'm not a Bourbon fan and if it Mason makes it to the finals
against Bourbon, I will be cheering for Mason. I just think that it's
Bourbon's to loose.
1 Paducah Tilghman vs 4 Adair County
3 Trigg County vs 2 Monroe County

2 Fort campbell vs 3 Edmonson
1 South Warren vs 4 Webster County

1 Central vs Casey County
3 Elizabethtown vs 2 Bell Co

2 Henry Co vs 3 Corbin
1 Wayne Co vs 4 LaRue Co

1 Bourbon Co vs 4 Fleming Co
3 Estill Co vs 2 Russell

2 Garrard Co vs 3 Lewis Co
1 Mason. Co vs 4 Powell Co

1 Breathitt Co vs 4 Sheldon Clark
3 Morgan Co vs 2 Pike Co Central

2 Magoffin Co vs 3 Lawrence Co
1 Belfry vs 4 Jackson

Here's the match ups for week one Who do you like ?
PT
Monroe

Edmonson
South Warren

Central
Bell

Corbin
Wayne

Bourbon
Estill

Garrard
Breathitt (District 6)

Powell (District 5)
PCC

Magoffin
Belfry
FBALL Wrote:Bourbon hasn't exactly played the roughest schedule either.

They have not...but they also haven't even had to break a sweat even with their Star QB injured. Mason, OTOH, hasn't looked like world beaters vs. bad competition as Boyd County (1-8), Newport (4-5), and even Rowan County (3-6) all gave the Royals a bit of a challenge. Montgomery County and Lincoln County each would be considered the best game on MC's schedule and yet Bourbon had a running clock on both teams.

Plus this is the exact same Bourbon team who beat Mason County 55-12 in the playoffs last year only losing 2 starters on each side of the ball. Mason County, IMO, has closed that gap some.. but they still have to be considered a decisive underdog until they are able to prove otherwise.
Objective Wrote:1 Paducah Tilghman vs 4 Adair County
3 Trigg County vs 2 Monroe County

2 Fort campbell vs 3 Edmonson
1 South Warren vs 4 Webster County

1 Central vs Casey County
3 Elizabethtown vs 2 Bell Co

2 Henry Co vs 3 Corbin
1 Wayne Co vs 4 LaRue Co

1 Bourbon Co vs 4 Fleming Co
3 Estill Co vs 2 Russel Co

2 Garrard Co vs 3 Lewis Co
1 Breathitt Co vs 4 Sheldon Clark

1 Mason Co vs Powell Co
3 Morgan Co vs 2 Pike Co Central

2 Magoffin Co vs 3 Lawrence Co
1 Belfry vs 4 Jackson

Here's the match ups for week one Who do you like ?

This isn't right.

You need to change the Mason/Powell game with the Breathitt/SC game. Also it's Russell not Russell Co.
Tilghman
Monroe Co

Ft Campbell
South Warren

Central
Bell Co

Corbin
Wayne Co

Bourbon Co
Russell

Garrard Co
Mason Co

Breathitt Co
PCC

Lawrence Co
Belfry
EKUAlum05 Wrote:They have not...but they also haven't even had to break a sweat even with their Star QB injured. Mason, OTOH, hasn't looked like world beaters vs. bad competition as Boyd County (1-8), Newport (4-5), and even Rowan County (3-6) all gave the Royals a bit of a challenge. Montgomery County and Lincoln County each would be considered the best game on MC's schedule and yet Bourbon had a running clock on both teams.

Plus this is the exact same Bourbon team who beat Mason County 55-12 in the playoffs last year only losing 2 starters on each side of the ball. Mason County, IMO, has closed that gap some.. but they still have to be considered a decisive underdog until they are able to prove otherwise.

All good points. I will counter with sometimes records can be deceptive. Although only 4-5, Newport's losses have been to some really good teams. My goodness even Harrison at 2-7 but they had a brutal schedule. Mason beat Rowan 44-15.

I consider Bourbon the favorite in the region as well. All I'm saying is don't count Mason Ciunty out. They are capable.
I think the biggest thing is Bourbon destroyed Mason last year at Mason with an overall lesser team. If you haven't seen Bourbon play this year you wouldn't know, but as a fan, it is MHO that bourbon is heads and should better this year than last.

You can go back to my posts from last year and see that I preached non stop about how bad Bourbon was up front on both sides of the ball. That was their kryptonite and the reason the Bath, Garrards and Belfry all played them close or beat them last year. That isn't the case this year. If last year's Bourbon team had this year's line, Hopkins would have looked like Barry Sanders.....
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:I think the biggest thing is Bourbon destroyed Mason last year at Mason with an overall lesser team. If you haven't seen Bourbon play this year you wouldn't know, but as a fan, it is MHO that bourbon is heads and should better this year than last.

You can go back to my posts from last year and see that I preached non stop about how bad Bourbon was up front on both sides of the ball. That was their kryptonite and the reason the Bath, Garrards and Belfry all played them close or beat them last year. That isn't the case this year. If last year's Bourbon team had this year's line, Hopkins would have looked like Barry Sanders.....

Agreed,,, I do believe Bourbon is better than last year, ad Mason is better
than last year. But the margin of improvement falls more to Bourbon.

I would like to see a Bourbon/Garrard match-up for Region. Maybe, just
maybe we can find a some more of those weaknesses to exploit...:eyeroll:
FBALL Wrote:This isn't right.

You need to change the Mason/Powell game with the Breathitt/SC game. Also it's Russell not Russell Co.

missed that one sorry won't let me edit now
As an outside observer, it looks to me that the semis will be a rematch from last year with an improved Bourbon hosting a smaller Belfry team. Should be a lot of fun to watch. I'd like to make it up to Paris to see the Colonels and the Royals though, that will be a good game
JuniorVarsityBlues Wrote:As an outside observer, it looks to me that the semis will be a rematch from last year with an improved Bourbon hosting a smaller Belfry team. Should be a lot of fun to watch. I'd like to make it up to Paris to see the Colonels and the Royals though, that will be a good game

Belfry's just as big as last year...just not as experienced in the trenches especially on defense
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry's just as big as last year...just not as experienced in the trenches especially on defense

I know they're still going to be big, just thought some of their skill kids weren't as big. Losing Messer had to hurt them, size wise, right?
JuniorVarsityBlues Wrote:I know they're still going to be big, just thought some of their skill kids weren't as big. Losing Messer had to hurt them, size wise, right?

On defense it did a little (Though the Hall kid isn't a runt as he is over 6'1).... Offensively Messer was replaced by 6'4 245 FRESH Cole Bentley..

Belfry's skill players on offense are the same otherwise except for replacing Josh Robinson with Justin Johnson who was Belfry's top RB last year until he was lost for the playoffs with an injury. Johnson is definitely smaller than Robinson but with all due respect to Robinson there is not really a comparison skill wise. Devontae Dari also was lost for the season last year early on and has been a big part of this team's success...he is very similar in size to Robinson and has played a similar role in the offense.

FB Hatfield. QB Warren and SE Taylor are all back.
HB Carr (who had a big game against BoCo) is back as well, but he is much larger this year physically. Carr is a monster physically.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:I think the biggest thing is Bourbon destroyed Mason last year at Mason with an overall lesser team. If you haven't seen Bourbon play this year you wouldn't know, but as a fan, it is MHO that bourbon is heads and should better this year than last.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't O'mara miss that game for Mason. He was really developing as a QB at the end of last year too.
Objective Wrote:missed that one sorry won't let me edit now
I fixed it. I didn't want to edit it until you saw why though.
FBALL Wrote:I don't know what happened in the game at Newport, maybe injuries or just a subpar game, but the only team that played them competitively in district was Russell.

If you compare Mason and Bourbon just by scores against Common opponents both teams blew out Harrison County.

You're trying to oversell Mason. Mason didnt pull away from a horrible Harrison Co team until late 3rd qrt..into the 4th. And still just won 41-19. Bourbon throttled Harrison. Believe me...if it comes down to Mason v Bourbon...I'll be pulling for the Royals....I just cant see them pulling off the upset on the road.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:On defense it did a little (Though the Hall kid isn't a runt as he is over 6'1).... Offensively Messer was replaced by 6'4 245 FRESH Cole Bentley..

Belfry's skill players on offense are the same otherwise except for replacing Josh Robinson with Justin Johnson who was Belfry's top RB last year until he was lost for the playoffs with an injury. Johnson is definitely smaller than Robinson but with all due respect to Robinson there is not really a comparison skill wise. Devontae Dari also was lost for the season last year early on and has been a big part of this team's success...he is very similar in size to Robinson and has played a similar role in the offense.

FB Hatfield. QB Warren and SE Taylor are all back.
HB Carr (who had a big game against BoCo) is back as well, but he is much larger this year physically. Carr is a monster physically.

I didn't realize that they returned so much size as a team. How do you think a bigger Bourbon squad compares with their speed this year?
JuniorVarsityBlues Wrote:I didn't realize that they returned so much size as a team. How do you think a bigger Bourbon squad compares with their speed this year?

I think it will be a great game if Pope comes back 100%. If Bourbon is one dimensional versus Belfry and the Pirates can tee off on the run then the Colonels will be in trouble. Belfry has struggled with mobile QB's and teams who can run out of the spread when the Pirates are honoring the passing game. When Belfry is able to contract their defense and play man on the outside then you are playing into their strength.

Pope hurt Belfry last year while the Pirates utterly made Hopkins a non-factor. This Belfry team is nowhere near that level defensively yet. Offensively Belfry is scary good at times. They have had numerous injuries this year that have thrown their timing off, but this backfield is deep, talented, and experienced. The OL is not to the level of that group last year, but they aren't far off and continue to improve. Belfry has had some bouts of being brain dead on offense, but when they are focused they have looked unbelievable at times. Taylor is very dangerous at WR as well.

If Pope is 100% I think you see a very entertaining game and if Belfry has those mental lapses on offense then I could see Bourbon winning. If Pope doesn't come back then Bourbon better hope Belfry puts the ball on the turf or their young QB filling in finds an accurate passing game.
PT is coming.
only upsets I see week one are Corbin Estill and Lawrence

P Tilghman
Monroe Co

Ft Campbell
South Warren

Central
Bell Co

Corbin
Wayne Co

Bourbon Co
Estill co

Garrard Co
Mason Co

Breathitt Co
Pike Co Cent

Lawrence Co
Belfry
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:You're trying to oversell Mason. Mason didnt pull away from a horrible Harrison Co team until late 3rd qrt..into the 4th. And still just won 41-19. Bourbon throttled Harrison. Believe me...if it comes down to Mason v Bourbon...I'll be pulling for the Royals....I just cant see them pulling off the upset on the road.

No I'm not. I think Boubon wins the region. But I do think if there is a team that can upset them it's Mason County.

They are solid on both lines and if they can control the clock with Nelson and O'mara manages the game they have a shot.
FBALL Wrote:No I'm not. I think Boubon wins the region. But I do think if there is a team that can upset them it's Mason County.

They are solid on both lines and if they can control the clock with Nelson and O'mara manages the game they have a shot.

If Pope is back and at 70+% healthy Bourbon should win with a running clock. If not, I look for it to be a pretty good game decided by the boys in the trenches.
mysonis55 Wrote:PT is coming.

Wayne county is waiting Confusedhh:
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:If Pope is back and at 70+% healthy Bourbon should win with a running clock. If not, I look for it to be a pretty good game decided by the boys in the trenches.

i agree with you on the running clock scenario...If Pope is back...but not @ 70%. if he's only 70%....he has no business on the football field. If he's 100%...BC wins that game easily.....I really think they win it fairly easily with out Pope. Mason was very pedestrian looking against a poor, poor Harrison team.