Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats got into Shelby Valley?
Shelby Valley seniors have played for four different coaches in as many years. When they were getting beat to death all you ever heard was when is Shelby valley ever going to build a program They now have a coach trying hard to build a program and instill an appetitie for working hard and winning and they get bashed. There is more to the score than a lot of you realize. Remember there is always two sides to every story.
seekingknowledge Wrote:Shelby Valley seniors have played for four different coaches in as many years. When they were getting beat to death all you ever heard was when is Shelby valley ever going to build a program They now have a coach trying hard to build a program and instill an appetitie for working hard and winning and they get bashed. There is more to the score than a lot of you realize. Remember there is always two sides to every story.

Besides watching the game and seeing the ending score, I realized it was a bad move. Would you care to explain the other side of the story. Enquiring minds want to know!
I'm not here to bash either teams players. Being a Shelby Valley football fan for as many years as they have had a program, I truly know how humilating it can be to get beat like this. Befoe everyone continues faulting Coach Saunders they need to know the comments that Coach Hagerman made about our team before this game was played. Enuff said!
Crossbones Wrote:No!! They did not have to go for two every time. It seems to me this would have been a great opportunity to practice on there field goals. Unbelievable that some people are defending this type of action.Rolleyes

i agree... eccspecially when try to justify throwing the ball by saying "they needed practice"

saunders was interviewed the day before the game and made some very sarcastic remarks about valley's football program. at first i thoguht he was trying to play the "funny card".... so that if he wins - he looks good.. and if he loses - he doesnt really look bad... but after running the score up like that, maybe he just doesnt have class.. who knows.. but its obvious he doesnt care wat people think about him
Quote: Shelby Valley seniors have played for four different coaches in as many years. When they were getting beat to death all you ever heard was when is Shelby valley ever going to build a program They now have a coach trying hard to build a program and instill an appetitie for working hard and winning and they get bashed. There is more to the score than a lot of you realize. Remember there is always two sides to every story.

A win, no matter the score,over a much outmanned team does nothing to build a program.
And as far as running up the score goes, It doesn't matter what the other side of the story is.
Most times in life, Class is a one sided story.
Quote:
Before everyone continues faulting Coach Saunders they need to know the comments that Coach Hagerman made about our team before this game was played. Enuff said!

And as far as running up the score goes, It doesn't matter what the other side of the story is.
This thread is titled "what got into SV?"
Coach Hagerman and his comments have nothing to do with the game score.

Now, that's enough said!
ladycat2440 Wrote:Whats unbelievable is everyone bashing Valley. We get bashed if we lose and we get bashed if we win. We may as well just not even have a football team because no matter what we are ALWAYS the bad people. I bet if Belfry or P-Burg beat a team that bad they would be praised for it. And you better believe if they beat Valley that bad they would talk about how horrible of a team we are, not what a classes act it was on their part. You all need to get a life and stop worrying about what negative thing Shelby Valley is going to do this time. We finally have a coach who is trying to establish a winning program and it is still not good enough.
I have to disagree with you. Last year , i think it was P-burg ran the score up pretty good on Magoffin and they got bashed the same way. You just dont beat people like that.
Quote:, what was valley supost to do just lay down and start lettin Phelps score to try to come back..
I remember one year we did that against A/C ...But you know I did play for A class act for a coach "Donny Daniels".....there is really no reason to beat a team like that ...and like everyone else said S/V will get what is coming to them someone this year will hang 80 one them...maybe Oct 20th or 27th.
fox sports Wrote:A win, no matter the score,over a much outmanned team does nothing to build a program.

This thread is titled "what got into SV?"
Coach Hagerman and his comments have nothing to do with the game score.

Now, that's enough said!

I liked the above post!!! This reply is to another post:
According to what I have found... the worst score Belfry had was against Williamson 60 something to 3... BUT... there were freshmen playing! NO starters.... and secondly, Coach Haggerman is a christian and I don't think he would have said something bad enough for another ADULT to tell his team to take it out on the other kids... IF he had a problem with Coach Haggerman, he should have talked to him!!!
ladycat2440 Wrote:Whats unbelievable is everyone bashing Valley. We get bashed if we lose and we get bashed if we win. We may as well just not even have a football team because no matter what we are ALWAYS the bad people. I bet if Belfry or P-Burg beat a team that bad they would be praised for it. And you better believe if they beat Valley that bad they would talk about how horrible of a team we are, not what a classes act it was on their part. You all need to get a life and stop worrying about what negative thing Shelby Valley is going to do this time. We finally have a coach who is trying to establish a winning program and it is still not good enough.

Yes, P-Burg did it to Magoffin and got bashed on here last season. But don't even put SV's football program in the same post with Belfry. Haywood never has, and never will, beat someone this bad. And you better tell your coach if he really wants to establish a "winning" program, he better look for other ways to get respect to the program other than beating a team by 73 points!!
bball fan Wrote:Yes, P-Burg did it to Magoffin and got bashed on here last season. But don't even put SV's football program in the same post with Belfry. Haywood never has, and never will, beat someone this bad. And you better tell your coach if he really wants to establish a "winning" program, he better look for other ways to get respect to the program other than beating a team by 73 points!!

I think if Valley wants to establish a "winning program" in football. Then they should beat a established winning football team that bad. I dont think Valley has this year the guns to beat Belfry that bad. I just hope that the powers that be in the Pike County Bowl thinks Valley improved enough so that next year they might get the draw of Henry Clay or someone of that strength to run the score up on.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
I do not think that much has gotten into Valley. This game proves nothing except that they are better than bad.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Maybe Shelby Valley should play Henry Clay in next years Pike Co Bowl ! Thoughts ???
NONE of these kids are bad... They all work very hard (yes, I am including SV).... doing something they love to do.... Yes, they need improvement but again let me say... NONE OF THE KIDS ARE BAD!!!!!!!!
Lets see them do this to Belfry,P-burg,and Sheldon Clark then Ill be impressed
The thread wasn't intended to bash SV players. The score was shocking. Putting up 79 points is saying something. I was just overwhelmed that they are this improved. Maybe phelps is just really down or maybe SV is pretty good. Regardless, I congratulate SV for the win and glad to see the Wildcats play hard. The players only do what they are told. It's not thier fault they scored 79 points. It's never the players fault. We need to remember that.

SO again congratulations on a big win even though I don't agree that beating "any" team that bad. These are kids are playing the sport they love and learning the game. I just don't understand, bad blood or not, especially at the high school level why you would want to humilate another team. It's a hard feeling to swallow when a far superior team crushes you and will not let up. I know from experience. I will not mention any names. But our school with on 16 football players got beat 88-0 in 1994. The team tried to score 100 on us. It was really humilating and discouraging to the kids. What did it prove though? Nothing! They made their statement in the first 5 minutes scoring 28 points. What i'm saying is you can make statements about the quality of your program without "tripping" the scoreboard.

The coaches spend so much time away from their own families coaching these kids. I feel they don't get nearly enough money for the time and effort they put in.

As any football player will tell you they learn alot about "growing up" from thier coaches. With that said I think coaches should respect other coaches and other programs. They are putting in the effort and the time to. Set good examples for these kids and the fans. Beating a team as bas as possible is not right. After all its just a game. I would much rather be remembered for the person that made a positive difference on a kids future rahter than the person that put up 80 on so and so.
Here is Prestonsburg getting hammered when they ran up the score last season...
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...php?t=4322

And here is how Belfry didn't run up the score -- mind you they were up 40-0 at half
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...php?t=3895

So to say all teams do the same thing and just don't get bashed for it and everyone just hates Valley is wrong.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Or as it was mentioned in another thread...yes you can basically make the kids stop playing. Pikeville was up 40-0 after the first last year against Jenkins with the final score being like 58-0. How do you do this? Pikeville's solution was to kick field goals....on FIRST down. So sometimes you do have to do obscure things to keep the game in control and use class.

Many teams win by 60-70 points....it's just a matter of how the points are scored. Throwing, running, kicking. Starters, reserves, freshmen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I agree, great post!!
ladycat2440 Wrote:I don't get it with you people. Even with a big W on the record you still down us. Well you may think it is "classless" but isn't it the other teams job to stop their opponent? We got our job done. And another thing, he played every player on that team. The freshman even scored on them. What was we supposed to do, bring out the mothers and let them play? I just dont understand. No matter what we do we, we ALWAYS get put down for it.

I thought Valley was very much improved and I think their future this season looks bright! Keep up the good work Valley. GO CATS!!!!!

Great post!
shelby valley has never EVER playes with class..with basketball, football, or any other sport they have played in. every other team in pike county has class..so what do u expect from valley?
"We had a let down out there and let them score," Saunders said. "Our kids got to learn how to play hard and we're getting there.

This is an part of what the SV coach stated in the news-express! This is pitiful!!!! What coach out there would want to hurt other kids? I agree whole heartdly everyone wants to win but why do it in the fashion that it was done at the cost of other kids? Someone needs to learn a little coaching etiquette!
Nothing has gotten in too shelby valley.....until shelby valley plays a admirable oppenent and wins, they are still a second rate team in my book.
DAVIS_MSU Wrote:Nothing has gotten in too shelby valley....this game shows and means nothing...until shelby valley plays a admirable oppenent and wins, they are still a second rate team in my book.

Unsubscribe waterboy!! LOLOL.... or Davis_MSU.... these are kids your talking about!!! Give them some credit.. granted... Phelps is not a worthy AA opponent BUT... they definatly are NOT a disgrace!!!!! You could use a lesson is some "class" yourself!!!!! :devilflam
phs1986 Wrote:Unsubscribe waterboy!! LOLOL.... or Davis_MSU.... these are kids your talking about!!! Give them some credit.. granted... Phelps is not a worthy AA opponent BUT... they definatly are NOT a disgrace!!!!! You could use a lesson is some "class" yourself!!!!! :devilflam

Why lie to the kids...maybe the critisicim will fire them up...Being nice to football players helps nothing...they should be told the truth so they can grow and maybe one day succeed...Aleast I have the class to tell the truth instead of covering it up with " you tried your best" ot "you'll get them next time". Being nice only works in junior league's...man up...thats the only way the will turn their program around
"I thought we were a little farther ahead than we were," Hagerman said. "We're still learning, but I have to take responsibility for this one tonight. I just didn't have us as prepared as what I should have.

This is from the interview Hagerman gave the News-Express.... does it sound as if he is lying or blaming the kids?? NOPE... He has more work to do and he acknowledges it!!!
NYY10 Wrote:Good job valley

9/29 NYY10.....see if you say good job when your on the other side of it....
Ok I hear the truth to the situation well he keep starters in when he should have taken them out he threw the ball when he should have been running it really the coach need to crap beat out of him
PikeCentral#1 Wrote:Ok I hear the truth to the situation well he keep starters in when he should have taken them out he threw the ball when he should have been running it really the coach need to crap beat out of him
Hes going to get the crap beat out of him when Belfry and P-burg come to town I just wish Pikeville was on theyre schedule so hed get another smackdown layed on him for good measure. This isnt the fault of the kids at SV but thyre goin to face the repercussions of this while the DOPE who started it gets to stand comfortably on the sidelines. You folks up at Valley sure know how to pick'em LOL!
oklahomaunion4 Wrote:shelby valley has never EVER playes with class..with basketball, football, or any other sport they have played in. every other team in pike county has class..so what do u expect from valley?

Personally, I am upset with this quote...first and foremost, you can not include every sports team at SV in this post. I have been on both sides of this type of score...sometimes it is impossible not to score points. In basketball you can call off the press and go to a zone, in softball or baseball you can keep baserunners from advancing, in football you can pull your big guns and call off the dogs...one thing you can never do is ask the kids to stop playing. SV's scores late in the game came from there freshmen...when you only have 24 kids, it is difficult to bring in your 3rd and 4th string. Yes, I was disappointed in the 79 points, but it is the other teams job to stop the basic plays...QB sneak, fade pattern from a freshmen to a freshmen and so forth...simply put, you can never ask the kids to quit playing...personally, I think that would be more disrespectful!
I will sum everything up..To have a GREAT PROGRAM, A TEAM has to establish CLASS... And guys/gals....We can't get mad at the boys for Shelby Valley as they do as there coach tells them to do... Just a classless act on the coaches part. Hate to see little 1A schools get done like this because there are probably only 20 in the state that has numbers like the Jenkins, Phelps, Pinevilles, and Pikeville could have beat Jenkins by 150 points last year and know they could every year but showed total class in doing what they did. Hard for the little schools to compete anymore period!