Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR - Who will be coach at Perry Central next year?
Who would that be?

Mark Starns (No Shot, the way he was ran off to make room for McKenzie he is't coming back!)

Les Trimble (**** freezes over first!)

That leaves Brian Hall @ Powell Co. & Darrin Rice girls coach @ Sheldon Clark.

If, JC makes a change they will go with one of the assistant coaches on the bench!(Tim Adams, Jason Shepherd, Eddie Blair or Scotty Holbrook).
8th Street Wrote:There is always a buzz at the state tournament because coaches are trying to get jobs and schools are trying to get players and coaches to come to their schools. The only safe thing to say is there will be alot of changes. I believe Spurlock will move and take Johnson with him. I think Big Al will go back to PCC. I think John Bentley will return to Hazard. I think Denny is stuck at Breathitt. I think I think too much.

Spurlock may end up at JC, but Johnson will not. KSHAA has stipulation on his eligibility, he will finish his high school career at PCC. Al Holland has NO plans to return to PCC, Bentley is working very hard in Estill Co. His program is improving, so why would he leave. Both coaches have stated, personally to me, that they are happy and have no plans to change. Think/believe what you will.... But these are the facts.
Why would Johnson Central want to make a change? Coach McKenzie has won 2 straight Regional Championships and has everyone back next year...... What reason would they have to get another coach?
Bentley isn't leaving Estill. Not with the team he's having back next year or here in a few years. If he did leave, he wouldn't go back to Hazard, they were the ones who got rid of him when he was an assistant for the Bulldogs, so why would they want him back? He's very happy where he's at..
Strikeout King Wrote:Bentley isn't leaving Estill. Not with the team he's having back next year or here in a few years. If he did leave, he wouldn't go back to Hazard, they were the ones who got rid of him when he was an assistant for the Bulldogs, so why would they want him back? He's very happy where he's at..

Nothing against Estill County. But you are in a fantasy world if you don't think Bentley or any coach would leave Estill Co. For Hazard. At Hazard you are a regional contender every year. At Estill you are in good shape to win the 56th every year.
Lucky7 Wrote:Nothing against Estill County. But you are in a fantasy world if you don't think Bentley or any coach would leave Estill Co. For Hazard.

Hazard fired Bentley when he was an assistant, why would he go back there? Better question, if they fire someone why would they go back to that same person?
Lucky7 Wrote:Nothing against Estill County. But you are in a fantasy world if you don't think Bentley or any coach would leave Estill Co. For Hazard.

I don't think that is necessarily true. If he and his family are happy at Estill and he likes working there I don't see why he wouldn't stay.

It is true that he would probably win more at Hazard but then he would also have to deal with the politics and pressure that coaching at a place like Hazard has.
Altro Cat Wrote:I don't think that is necessarily true. If he and his family are happy at Estill and he likes working there I don't see why he wouldn't stay.

It is true that he would probably win more at Hazard but then he would also have to deal with the politics and pressure that coaching at a place like Hazard has.

I am biased for Hazard. I played there and am a fan. However strictly from a coaching standpoint, which is a better job? That would be hazard hands down. The purpose of coaching is to win championships. Hazard gives a better chance than Estill.
Lucky7 Wrote:I am biased for Hazard. I played there and am a fan. However strictly from a coaching standpoint, which is a better job? That would be hazard hands down. The purpose of coaching is to win championships. Hazard gives a better chance than Estill.

That maybe true but like I said, when Bentley was an assistant at Hazard, they fired him..so why would he go to a place that fired him or why would Hazard after firing him even look his way? I don't think he would go to a place that's ate up in politics and Hazard is ate up in politics
He may never go back to Hazard and Hazard may not want him back. I'm just saying from a coaching stand point Hazard gives you more possibilities. Hazard currently has the best coach in the region. However in future years the interest may change.
Everyone loves to hate on Tommy McKenzie. He is 31 years old and look at his success. 2000- Regional Champ as starting point guard.. 2006- Regional Champ as and assistant coach at JC. 2012 and 2013- 15th region champs.. first time in school history. He has been an extemely successful coach in his 6 year tenure!! 4/6 years have been 20 win seasons, been to the regional championship 3 out of 6 years and won it twice! The guy is a proven winner!!But then again, who doesnt hate on someone who succeeds?

You all dont know Coach McKenzie, i know a couple of you do. The man LOVES basketball. He always puts his team first. He gives all the credit to his players when they win, and all the fall goes to him when they lose! He is a great coach!! Lay off the guy, he's one of the best guys i know!'

BTW: Spurlock will not be at Central
Lucky7 the purpose of coaching is helping and working with kids!! There would have to be some changes at Hazard before Bently would be there. Im sure he likes the challenge of getting Estill to Rupp!! Taking the Hazard job doesnt mean your going to win region as they have only went 4 or 5 times the last 25 years!!!
boogiedawg Wrote:Lucky7 the purpose of coaching is helping and working with kids!! There would have to be some changes at Hazard before Bently would be there. Im sure he likes the challenge of getting Estill to Rupp!! Taking the Hazard job doesnt mean your going to win region as they have only went 4 or 5 times the last 25 years!!!

HOw many times has Estill been to the state in the last 25 yrs? I will take my chances at Hazard.
Spurlock may be a girls coach next year is what im hearing from some folks in Perry County. He may want to coach his girls is what im being told he had just bought a home in Johnson County last summer so i believe he may take a girls job close to Johnson County. Jamal Ergas!!!! rememeber that name.
ballboy Wrote:Jamal Ergas!!!! rememeber that name.

For the second time it is Jamar, not Jamal.
Spurlock is going nowhere in his first year at PCC.
Let's be real people.
Ridiculous.
Boogiedawg you must be an adopted dawg fan. I guarantee you Hazard has been to the Sweet Sixteen more than 4 times in 25 years. We've been 4 times since 2001. By the way, that's as many as anybody else in the 14th Region. PCC may have 5 visits.
ballboy Wrote:Spurlock may be a girls coach next year is what im hearing from some folks in Perry County. He may want to coach his girls is what im being told he had just bought a home in Johnson County last summer so i believe he may take a girls job close to Johnson County. Jamal Ergas!!!! rememeber that name.

I can assure you if the JC girls job becomes available, Spurlock will be the choice.
Perry County Central and now Knott Central have 6 region titles in the last 25 years. Hazard has won the region 5 times. If you go back just 2 more years then the Bulldogs get the advantage with 7 titles in 27 years.
I think the rumor is that McKenzie may be taking an administrative position and that is why the coaching job may come open. Don't be surprised to see Bart Williams in the mix if that happens.
OldSchoolTiger Wrote:Perry County Central and now Knott Central have 6 region titles in the last 25 years. Hazard has won the region 5 times. If you go back just 2 more years then the Bulldogs get the advantage with 7 titles in 27 years.

Perry central has just been a school for 17 years. Who has the most regional titles in that span.
Since 1975 KCC 10 region titles Hazard 9 since 1990 Hazard has 5, the 90s were a bad stretch. PCC 6 since 96 when they opened, first in 97. Hazard 5 since pcc opened, KCC 3 since perry opened. MC Napier 3 from 84 to 95, 5 from 71 to 95, Breathitt 5 since 71. KCC 6 since 1990.
PCC DIlce COmbs and Napier combined 13 since sometime in the 50s.
last 25 years KCC 6, PCC 6, HHS 5, MC Napier 2 , JBS Wburg, Leslie, Buckhorn , Powell ,Breathitt, have one title.
boogiedawg Wrote:PCC DIlce COmbs and Napier combined 13 since sometime in the 50s.
If you look at that way Knott County has 19 regional championships and 2 State Titles
boogiedawg Wrote:last 25 years KCC 6, PCC 6, HHS 5, MC Napier 2 , JBS Wburg, Leslie, Buckhorn , Powell ,Breathitt, have one title.

Buckhorn won 2 regional titles. 88 and 89
hitter Wrote:Perry central has just been a school for 17 years. Who has the most regional titles in that span.

If you count the last 17 years,:Thumbs: Hitter, PCC still has 6, Hazard has 5 and KCC has 3, just in the past 17 years.:Thumbs:
OldSchoolTiger Wrote:If you count the last 17 years,:Thumbs: Hitter, PCC still has 6, Hazard has 5 and KCC has 3, just in the past 17 years.:Thumbs:

Thanks
OldSchoolTiger Wrote:If you count the last 17 years,:Thumbs: Hitter, PCC still has 6, Hazard has 5 and KCC has 3, just in the past 17 years.:Thumbs:

Not exactly on topic, but does Big Al have 7 in the last 17 years? Would PCC have won more if Al had been able to stay
Lets see......PCC has been in regional finals 4 of past 5 years. Check Big Al's record in regional champioship games. Just guessing but I would say he would have won 3 out of the 4 regional final games.:Thumbs: