Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bobby Petrino
Norm Peterson Wrote:Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier as well.

Heck if I was coaching a college team and had the chance to make millions by going to the NFL I'd leave in a heart beat I'm sure everyone else would too
Norm Peterson Wrote:I don't like him but I could live with Petrino. I'd like to see them really go for a coach with a national profile and go after Jon Gruden. He's very popular and I think that would help him overcome his lack of recruiting experience. He'd be super expensive to get but he doesn't carry the baggage Petrino does and he would pack the stands.
Getting Gruden would be GREAT, but that is almost laughable to think he would be interested? For one, he is on top of the world working in the NFL right now and also he turned down the opportunities at Tennessee and Florida??? So what would make anyone in their right mind believe he would be interested in the KY job?? Lets be realistic and try to get someone that we might have a legitimate shot at! Gruden talk is just fantasy world talk IMO
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:Getting Gruden would be GREAT, but that is almost laughable to think he would be interested? For one, he is on top of the world working in the NFL right now and also he turned down the opportunities at Tennessee and Florida??? So what would make anyone in their right mind believe he would be interested in the KY job?? Lets be realistic and try to get someone that we might have a legitimate shot at! Gruden talk is just fantasy world talk IMO

Most likely, but I'd make a call and offer to make him the highest paid coach in D-I and make him tell me he wasn't interested before going after anyone else.
I seen a couple of coordinators mentioned both very good coaches. The guy at Louisana Monroe coach has done well would be a good hire. But Skip Holtz? Have you watch South Florida? Come on man don't you want UK to win? IMO UT will fire Dooley at the end of the year and you watch if Petrino is still out there UT will hire him. If they hired Kiffin why would they not hire Petrino. Barnfart hire Petrino NOW!!!!!!!
Don't know that much about the BAMA coordinator, but one name that everyone is forgetting about is the defensive coordinator at FSU Mark Stoops. The job he has done at FSU, he deserves a shot.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
I Agree. We might be able to get him at a low price too. Plus I do believe he is truly sorry for his actions. It would be an exciting brand of football and would bring the fan back to the stands.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Most likely, but I'd make a call and offer to make him the highest paid coach in D-I and make him tell me he wasn't interested before going after anyone else.

You would but UK sure as hell wouldn't. Whoever gets hired will be the odds on favorite for the lowest paid coach in the conference. In all this talk of who to hire make sure to keep that in mind.
I hate the ideas of hiring decent lower level teams coaches like LMU's or hiring a good teams assistant like a Bama assistant.
Your taking a stab in the drak by hiring a coach that hasn't already proven himself as a head coach.....For example.....Joker the Joke.
Petrino!
Petrino has proven he can win and have success at the college level. I think his name should be consider even with the baggage that comes with him.

I say throw the money at Chris Peterson, make him leave the blue field for the BBN!

Another two names I would like to see Pat Fitzgerald (Northwestern) and Gary Patterson (TCU)
I am desperate. If we can hire the greatest personaility and coach in North America for our Basketball program then why on earth should we settle for less that that with our Football Program. Having said that, I wonder how many coaches in America would even consider UK at this point? I would settle for Petrino, Holtz, or one of the Bowdens. Heck I dont see anything wrong with giving the defensive coordinator from VT. But if none of these are interetsed we need to look no further than the southern Ohio area for a coach. We need all of those northen Kentucky, southern Ohio talented players. We need someone to bring those 4/5 Star Recruits to Lexington. We need to get out of Georgia, Alabama, and Florida for recruiting. All we get from there are the players that LSU, Miami, Fla. St, Alabama, and Florida DONT want...Give me the Greater Cincy Area, Northern Ky Area and Louisville and you can have the rest...
zaga_fan Wrote:I would take him...
But Tressel is also available.

I want to see the blue sweater vest.

Along with a UK fan, I am also a Buckeye fan. Seeing Tressel sport a blue sweater vest would be awesome! Confusedinglepar
Mountaineer Man Wrote:I seen a couple of coordinators mentioned both very good coaches. The guy at Louisana Monroe coach has done well would be a good hire. But Skip Holtz? Have you watch South Florida? Come on man don't you want UK to win? IMO UT will fire Dooley at the end of the year and you watch if Petrino is still out there UT will hire him. If they hired Kiffin why would they not hire Petrino. Barnfart hire Petrino NOW!!!!!!!

Monroe defense is not that good, and they beat an Arkansas team that not any good either,and Monroe cant even win the Sun Belt so, why would he be the right fight for UK,theres better coaches in the Sun Belt, than Monroe coach..
I'd take Taggert and the Harbaugh connection in a heart beat.
FBALL Wrote:I'd take Taggert and the Harbaugh connection in a heart beat.

me 2, that way he gets out of the Sun Belt,lol, WKU probally best defense team in the Belt...
One thing I don't like about Petrino is he's not that good of a recruiter
^Unless your a blonde with a d cup.
^ I'd be distracted by that, any man that's not married would be, if not well then your not a man unless your married. Married men stepping out on their wives is not cool
I would welcome Petrino. I may not agree with his personal life but you cannot get away from the fact that he is a good coach...

Also, Tressel could be an option if UK was serious in going after him. He is able to coach but a university has to provide a "show cause" for hiring him. The issues in hiring him is that he would be suspended for the first 5 games and banned from bowl/championship games until 2016. And, if he committed anymore violations, the University would be severly sanctioned. Actually, this wouldn't be a bad move. If he came here next year (2013) that gives him 3 years to build the program before the sanctions are lifted. By then the team could actually be in good shape.

With both coaches having a checkered past they need a new college to get their careers going again, why not UK?
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:You would but UK sure as hell wouldn't. Whoever gets hired will be the odds on favorite for the lowest paid coach in the conference. In all this talk of who to hire make sure to keep that in mind.

Agreed. God forbid that this University would pay more for a high quality football coach than what we would for a rounball boss.lol!
Petrino!
Bill Parcells, Jon Gruden, Kirby Smart.
IMO Tressel's brand of football win not win in the SEC. See Ohio St., in bowl games against SEC oppentents. While there are good High School players in the NKY and Cincy area, and Louisville, you will not win just recruiting that area. After thinking about this a little bit, Stoops at FSU is not the answer. I think the answer is either Petrino, who is a very good recruiter, he just sometimes recruits some questionable players. But I think the real answer my be at Akron, in the one Terry Bowden. Terry wants to get back to the big time stage, he has won every where he has been, plus you have the name that kids can recognize.
I would have to believe Cincy, LVille, and Northern Ky are hot spots for rebuilding a program...UK is in need of rebuilding or even perhpas tearing it all down and starting over? Why would we spend one dime in the deep south recruiting kids that can play for legendary coaches and have the opportunity to win national championships when we know going in that the only kids we are going to get are the "stars" that none of the top programs want? I had rather have the best backs in my recruiting area then the 20th best back in Georgia or Florida. The high school football in the country is being played within 100 miles of Lexington, Ky. We just need a dynamic coach to go out and sign them up...
bossman313 Wrote:I would have to believe Cincy, LVille, and Northern Ky are hot spots for rebuilding a program...UK is in need of rebuilding or even perhpas tearing it all down and starting over? Why would we spend one dime in the deep south recruiting kids that can play for legendary coaches and have the opportunity to win national championships when we know going in that the only kids we are going to get are the "stars" that none of the top programs want? I had rather have the best backs in my recruiting area then the 20th best back in Georgia or Florida. The high school football in the country is being played within 100 miles of Lexington, Ky. We just need a dynamic coach to go out and sign them up...

The problem is the best backs in this area are not as good as georgia's #20.
Mountaineer Man Wrote:IMO Tressel's brand of football win not win in the SEC. See Ohio St., in bowl games against SEC oppentents. While there are good High School players in the NKY and Cincy area, and Louisville, you will not win just recruiting that area. After thinking about this a little bit, Stoops at FSU is not the answer. I think the answer is either Petrino, who is a very good recruiter, he just sometimes recruits some questionable players. But I think the real answer my be at Akron, in the one Terry Bowden. Terry wants to get back to the big time stage, he has won every where he has been, plus you have the name that kids can recognize.

no way Terry Bowden, hes no where near his dad, and just avg coach at best...
You cant have an "in state" recruiter.

Look at what it did for Curry.

Theres simply not enough SEC level talent in the state and you have to have a coach that can recruit the south and steal some players off of the bigger programs.
From possible choices, i believe Petrino is the only one who can do that...
WALL2WALL Wrote:Bill Parcells, Jon Gruden, Kirby Smart.

Bill Parcells is 71 years old. That's all that needs to be said about that.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:The problem is the best backs in this area are not as good as georgia's #20.

This may be true to some extent but what about Damian Harris in Madison Co. or Shawn Alexander? They may come every few years but if UK could land recruits like this, the team wouldn't be so miserable each year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You cant have an "in state" recruiter.

Look at what it did for Curry.

Theres simply not enough SEC level talent in the state and you have to have a coach that can recruit the south and steal some players off of the bigger programs.
From possible choices, i believe Petrino is the only one who can do that...

No, there isn't enough SEC talent in the state but it would be nice for the ones that we do have to come to UK. There is talent in the state who go to big programs (USC) but do not want anything to do with UK.