Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County Scrimmages
O'Brian should be starting tailback unless something has changed. I know he came back out for baseball this summer and did really good. He should be the feature tailback as a sophomore. Anyone else know anything different?
Did anyone go watch the 7 on 7? If so, how did A.J. Cyrus do?
are the bulldogs in full pads yet???
Tomcat Pride Wrote:Keep dreaming. The bulldogs will get a good dose of what's in store for them this season when the get spanked at Putnam on August 17th.

That's only a scrimmage game.. in all reality none of the games matter except district. Why in the World would the "mighty" Tomcats want to play LC anyway? Aren't the Tomcats a 5a school? Guess just a little padded schedule. But 3A Belfrey will probably be a little more than the "Cats" can handle. Be assured many Dawgs will be there rooting them on. I hope the Tomcats win state again, like last year...OOPS!
I think Ashland and Johnson Central are 4A.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:I think Ashland and Johnson Central are 4A.

I believe you are right Ashland moved from 5A to 4A the same year LC went to 3 A
Any size or depth anchoring the lines this year?
Do Ashland and Lawrence County continue to play after this year?
IceQB Wrote:Do Ashland and Lawrence County continue to play after this year?

I sure hope so. I love easy openers!
I'm sure Forth Thomas would love an easy opener as well so why don't you Ashland supporters talk to Coach Hart and arrange that.
I heard Lawrence will be scrimmaging Russell Friday or Sat Aug 3rd or 4th. Anyone have more info?
lcgrad2002 Wrote:I'm sure Forth Thomas would love an easy opener as well so why don't you Ashland supporters talk to Coach Hart and arrange that.

Any why would Coach Hart want to schedule a team that we'll play in the playoffs? Even a Lawrence County fan ought to have more common sense than that.
Oh ok my bad their Tomcat Pride, schedule Belfry then!! lol I'm sure coach Haywood would love to play Ashland.
Anyone know when Lawrence County and Russell are scrimmaging? If anyone finds out post when and where.
Lawrence will travel to Russell August 9th to scrimmage
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Oh ok my bad their Tomcat Pride, schedule Belfry then!! lol I'm sure coach Haywood would love to play Ashland.

Geez, Belfry is already on the schedule, in fact we have pretty much owned them through the years. I think they have one win at Putnam. Typical Lawrence County!
Thanks Hotshot I appreciate it. Typical Lawrence County, like you all Ashland fans are so much better. Give me a break. lol
Careful, Dawg fans, or you'll get a bunch of lectures on the the 60s and 70s when Ashland was really the bees knees! 23 Skiddo!!!
The reason Coach Hart wants t play this game is because he, unlike some of his fans, has the sense to respect a team that will play hard. Ashland has more depth and talent, plus an incredible home environment to call on.
Unless they make a few critical mistakes they will likely win by at least 2 TDs.
But they will have played a hard-battling team in the process and one that ought not be judged before a single scrimmage snap has been taken.
[quote=Tomcat Pride]Any why would Coach Hart want to schedule a team that we'll play in the playoffs? Even a Lawrence County fan ought to have more common sense than that.[/QUOTE

SHOWING YOUR IGNORANCE ...
And also try getting past 1st round of the playoffs lol and beating lil ole raceland and russell. You may have the last couple years but remember big bad ashland getting butts handed to them in games they supposed to have won.
Attended the scrimmage @ Russell tonight. Russell was clearly the better team.

Lawrence Co. is as small as I have ever seen them. Very little size on the LOS, and REALLY small skill players. On the bright side, they did play hard and rallied pretty well to the football on defense. Also, the QB showed some ability. If he is young, he could develop into a very good player. Still, I predict Lawrence Co. will have a difficult time consistently moving the football.

I know there was a lot of discussion about the Coach and staff. I thought they seemed engaged and appeared to have a reasonable scheme for the players. Just not a rich talent pool right now IMO.
Russell:

As I stated above, Russell was the superior team. Very good size on the LOS at Russell. The tackles in particular were tall and very large. I would venture to say the o-line will be as big as any in 3A. However, they were a bit out of shape, as a saw hands on knees pretty early on, and this was a cool (great) evening for football.

As for the skill guys, I said it before and I will say it again now, Evans DRAMATICALLY improves this team. He has the ability to make big plays with his arm that Hayes just wouldn't have. Huffine looked great in his pads and looks to be quality runner, but not super explosive. The FB, #1 had impressive size and looks like he will be able to push the pile consistently. Hayes did very little in the scrimmage, but is pretty good athlete.

Defensively, the MLB's looked good. Overall the D was pretty decent, with the DE/OLB play sort of being the weakness IMO. I would have some concern over the safeties ability to cover against strong passing offenses.

Last point. It looked like Russell had 9 of 11 guys going both ways! I understand it is 3A ball, but that is going to make it hard for them to play 4 quarters against quality competition.
BTW, if a moderator would like to use my posts in a new thread (like Russell/Lawrence Scrimmage), please do.

I realized after I posted that the Russell comments might not be seen in this thread.
That sounds about right. Russell will have good talent but will play a lot of players both ways. Typically Russell teams are not in good shape at the start. That's what the scrimmages and first few games are for and generally why Coach McGlones teams improve dramatically as the season progresses. They generally play their way into shape. You hear people gripe about it every year up here.
Are you sure that wasn't number 21 playing fullback?
FBALL Wrote:Are you sure that wasn't number 21 playing fullback?

I saw a #2 #6 #14 in backfield for Russell an #1 I think?
It was Gage... he wore 1 tonight buddy. I sorta have a Russell source and have taken an interest in your team. You know me Fball. I am a cocky Belfry fan, but I gave a fair assessment of what I saw. Russell has some kids who can play, big oline, and Huffine looks pretty solid. Be happy you got Evans.

I call it how I see it.
Badcat, sure you were at the game. It was 2, 1, 6 (Googie), and 11. Those are the kids who ran the ball. Evans was number 9.

Promise guys. Wink
Huffine, Googie and Evans. 18 Howard should have been there as well. Stevens 21 and Cathy 28 should have been at fullback.

Maybe they put Kennedy in the backfield and he was wearing #1.

Of course they were probably in practice jerseys and it's hard telling who was wearing what #

I had to work and couldn't go.
PaytoPlay Wrote:It was Gage... he wore 1 tonight buddy. I sorta have a Russell source and have taken an interest in your team. You know me Fball. I am a cocky Belfry fan, but I gave a fair assessment of what I saw. Russell has some kids who can play, big oline, and Huffine looks pretty solid. Be happy you got Evans.

I call it how I see it.

I figured it was Gage. Hopefully this group can stay healthy and progress enough to give those mean old pirates a run in the playoffs.