Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central Eagles 2012
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:State runner up in '93 & '01
State semi-finals in '81,'82,'83,'84,'85,'92,'93,'00,'01,&'09Since 1976 we have 18 District Championships & 10 Regional Championships.

Just had to bring all that awesomeness up, didn't ya, lol..... Confusednicker:

I think I'm gonna petition the KHSAA to expunge all JC football records prior to the 2000 season and the '01 and '02 seasons.... lol.
Since paintsville won't play us (JC) in the Apple Bowl anymore....

Think about how big the crowd would be for a Johnson Cenntral vs. Prestonsburg game on Apple Day Friday night. No matter if the game was played at JC or P-Burg. The schools are only about 15 minutes apart. And I can't remember the last time JC and P-Burg played a varsity game. I know it's been atleast 10+ years.
^^ I actually think JC vs P'Burg would draw a larger crowd due to the recent short comings of the Paintsville program. I'm in no way putting there program down, but they have had a few tough years here recently.
Just because Pburg has won more in the past than JC doesn't mean that JC wouldn't have beat them some of those years. If I remember right, during those times JC played in 4A and P'burg played in 2A - which was the weakest class of all four. And no way do they win in 2009. That was probably the worst Matney team (at the time) and they still gave Highlands a decent run and won their district. Had my Bluebirds been playing in a different class, Matney would probably have two or three state titles right now. He has had some really good teams there.
WideRight05 Wrote:Just because Pburg has won more in the past than JC doesn't mean that JC wouldn't have beat them some of those years. If I remember right, during those times JC played in 4A and P'burg played in 2A - which was the weakest class of all four. And no way do they win in 2009. That was probably the worst Matney team (at the time) and they still gave Highlands a decent run and won their district. Had my Bluebirds been playing in a different class, Matney would probably have two or three state titles right now. He has had some really good teams there.

I can agree with you on the bolded.
WideRight05 Wrote:Just because Pburg has won more in the past than JC doesn't mean that JC wouldn't have beat them some of those years. If I remember right, during those times JC played in 4A and P'burg played in 2A - which was the weakest class of all four. And no way do they win in 2009. That was probably the worst Matney team (at the time) and they still gave Highlands a decent run and won their district. Had my Bluebirds been playing in a different class, Matney would probably have two or three state titles right now. He has had some really good teams there.

If I may respectfully disagree, I thought the 09 team was the best JC team that I've seen (I did not see the 06 team that lost to CovCath. I'm told that until JC's fullback got hurt, JC was doing pretty much what it wanted offensively to CovCath). The 10 team would be a close second and the 08 team third. I know that many JC fans felt after the 09 season that the 10 team would be better but in my opinion they weren't. Close but not quite there. The 11 squad would be ranked 4th of the 4 JC squads I watched closely.

As for the number of state titles JC would have won but for Highlands, I don't think they'd have won it in 11. Love the Jude kid, but I can't see him carrying JC past Franklin Simpson. I could see them winning it in 10 against Christian County. Christian County just wasn't a very good all around team. Relied too much on Tandy and Hickey. Frankly they were fortunate to beat BG earlier in the playoffs. I don't think JC would have beaten John Hardin in 09. That was an extremely good John Hardin team and pretty disciplined too. Physical but quick and fast. Very well coached team. If you recall, they had an extremely talented D line and some pretty fast lbers. Coming into the state game, JH was leading the state in rushing defense. JC would have matched up well in the physical department but I think that JH's speed and quickness would have given JC the same problem that Highlands gave JC that year. Would have been a competitive game but I'd go with JH in 09. In 08 I can see JC winning or certainly keeping it within 3 points. The Christian County team that year was much, much better than the 10 Christian County team. Had a very heady and talented QB, some very talented skill positions players (that were seniors in 10 like Tandy and Hickey) and had a decent O line. But I still think the JC team was the better team but not by much.
charlie22 Wrote:If I may respectfully disagree, I thought the 09 team was the best JC team that I've seen (I did not see the 06 team that lost to CovCath. I'm told that until JC's fullback got hurt, JC was doing pretty much what it wanted offensively to CovCath). The 10 team would be a close second and the 08 team third. I know that many JC fans felt after the 09 season that the 10 team would be better but in my opinion they weren't. Close but not quite there. The 11 squad would be ranked 4th of the 4 JC squads I watched closely.

As for the number of state titles JC would have won but for Highlands, I don't think they'd have won it in 11. Love the Jude kid, but I can't see him carrying JC past Franklin Simpson. I could see them winning it in 10 against Christian County. Christian County just wasn't a very good all around team. Relied too much on Tandy and Hickey. Frankly they were fortunate to beat BG earlier in the playoffs. I don't think JC would have beaten John Hardin in 09. That was an extremely good John Hardin team and pretty disciplined too. Physical but quick and fast. Very well coached team. If you recall, they had an extremely talented D line and some pretty fast lbers. Coming into the state game, JH was leading the state in rushing defense. JC would have matched up well in the physical department but I think that JH's speed and quickness would have given JC the same problem that Highlands gave JC that year. Would have been a competitive game but I'd go with JH in 09. In 08 I can see JC winning or certainly keeping it within 3 points. The Christian County team that year was much, much better than the 10 Christian County team. Had a very heady and talented QB, some very talented skill positions players (that were seniors in 10 like Tandy and Hickey) and had a decent O line. But I still think the JC team was the better team but not by much.

It's cool that you respectfully disagree, but the 09 year was actually considered a way, way down year by JC standards. You could present an argument for them possibly winning state that year - but not as good as you could for 08 and 10. After a monster year in 08, JC lost a few players and really struggled in 09 beginning the year 0-4. They had huge losses to the likes of Bell, Boyle (who were good that year) and a close loss to Sheldon Clark. Their biggest win of the year was probably upsetting Ashland (They were good that year...had some big back that just mauled people) and winning the district. Everybody else was WAY down that year compared to normal. Belfry was way down. Cov Cath wasn't themselves. I thought we were going to run away on JC in the playoffs when we got up 14-0. They tied that game quickly but thankfully we held through and pulled away. I think they would have had success against John Hardin that year. I didn't think their run defense was as good as advertised. I keep thinking we only threw one or two times in the state title game that year and ran for something like 300 yards on JH.

I have seen the 06 team, I went and watched them play against Covington Catholic that year. Cov Cath, as much as I hate to admit, was LOADED that year and the best team in 3A. JC had a very quick and shifty runningback that year, combined with a fullback that would just fall forward and pick up five yards. The big fullback got hurt (he also played linebacker) unfortunately and that allowed Cov Cath to run away with the game. JC did not have anybody else, other than the shifty back that year that ran the ball real well.

The 08 JC team was the best Matney has had there. I keep thinking they were leading the nation in rushing yards or close to it at one point in the season. Their running attack that year was better than a lot of passing attacks. They would get 10 yards...10 yards...10 yards...on everybody they played. Their line was MASSIVE and their defense IMO was the best under the Matney era. They were capable of putting games away real quick.

Minus Highlands, I definitely think JC would have won in 2008 and 2010, and possibly in 2009 should the cards fall the right way.
[quote=Pulp Fiction]Since paintsville won't play us (JC) in the Apple Bowl anymore....

Think about how big the crowd would be for a Johnson Cenntral vs. Prestonsburg game on Apple Day Friday night. No matter if the game was played at JC or P-Burg. The schools are only about 15 minutes apart. And I can't remember the last time JC and P-Burg played a varsity game. I know it's been atleast 10+ years. [/If I remember right the last time JCHS and Prestonsburg played a varsity game was in 1989. Prestonsburg won that game 6-0 at Eagle field. The Ashland Daily had JC as the preseason pick to win the district that included, Belfry, Clay Co, Breathitt Co and Knott Co. JC had a talented team but the football gods can be cruel, JC's talented QB broke his leg the 3rd game of the season. It was Breathitt Co that stepped up and won the District that year by beating a very very good Belfry team. Many long time Breathitt Co fans point to the 1989 season as the turning point in Bobcat football histroy. Prestonburg's new principal Jerry Butcher was the O-line coach for the 89 JC team. Butcher insisted that his whole O-line block out of the 4 point stance which made a modern blocking system impossible. When JCHS/Marshall great Chris Deaton signed with Marshall it was the out spoken Jerry Butcher who insisted that Deaton couldn't play at such a high leval. Deaton ended up being a 2 time All-Amercian and national Champion at Marshall and that's why Butcher is a principal now and not a football coach!
Who and what does johnson Central have that makes them that good this year?
So what does JC have this year? Will it be a big year, or a year that the team is young?
Vince Lombardi,John Madden and Woody Hayes;quite simply some of the best. Gone but not forgotten and realistically ancient history. The new turf will greatly make the dust bowl of the past forgetable. Admitedly the new turf will hurt to the front but would be much wose to the back in a game with the Eagles. The Cats are wise in staying away from the Eagles less they be dropped from the Talons into the Big Sandy River.:biggrin:
WideRight05 Wrote:So what does JC have this year? Will it be a big year, or a year that the team is young?
I hope we find a new kicker. Trent Davis, JC's kicker last season, was a MAJOR part of that team. He did everything.... Kickoff, Punt and Field Goal/Extra Point. Too bad high school only lasts for 4 years.
does any body no the name of the team from north carolina? that jchs plays the first game ''
If past success is a indication then Paintsville would be in good shape lol.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I hope we find a new kicker. Trent Davis, JC's kicker last season, was a MAJOR part of that team. He did everything.... Kickoff, Punt and Field Goal/Extra Point. Too bad high school only lasts for 4 years.

If he meant so much to his team. Why didn't his coach push for him and get him signed some where?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:If he meant so much to his team. Why didn't his coach push for him and get him signed some where?

Because Trent is a soccer player. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he recieved a scholarship to play soccer.
OffTheHook Wrote:If he meant so much to his team. Why didn't his coach push for him and get him signed some where?

Trent originally committed to play at a D3 school in Indiana. However, I believe that fell through. That happens in some cases. I do know for a fact Morehead wants him to come kick for them. I spoke with Coach Gilliam at MSU and he said he has tried to contact Trent on multiple occasions regarding his clearinghouse eligibility. However, no response.
What is up with all the people talking about spelling on here?
Is this english class or something?
Come on this is a place to talk about sports and to trash talk and have fun!

Confusedhh:
WideRight05 Wrote:I have only seen them play a few times, but they will be a great team for Johnson Central to play. They run a "T" offense. Their coach is the all time winningest in Ohio. They had solid athletes from the times I saw them, but what impressed me most was that they executed so well. They were extremely disciplined and won't beat themselves. Them and JC play a similar style of ball so I expect this one to be a slobberknocker.

Coach Lutz retired after last season. Mark Vass, an Ironton alumni, takes over this season.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Because Trent is a soccer player. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he recieved a scholarship to play soccer.

Nope. Soccer Coach was more worried about his own son instead of the State's Top Scorer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
August 24 @ Perry Central
August 31 Knox Central @ Clay County
September 14 Logan, WV
September 21 @ Boyd County
September 28 Ironton, OH
October 5 Greenup County
October 12 @ Rowan County
October 19 Ashland
October 26 Belfry

This is from combining K.H.S.A.A. website & Max Preps. Also, I have heard that there is one other game against a team from North Carolina but have not heard the date.
Ironton, ashland. & belfry @ home for the eagles (wow).
Will be some good football to watch in johnson county this fall.
Pretty tough schedule for JC. Impressive.
New turf field/Field goals - Check
New Home/Visitor's Bleachers - Check
New Football locker rooms - Check
New Weight room - Check
New Press Box/Sound System/Concessions Stands/Bathrooms - Check
One of the most loyal and dedicated student/fan bases in the Country - Check
Dedicated and talented players/coaching staff - Check

Only 2 things missing: A State Football Championship
AND
A Badly needed New scoreboard to replace an old/outdated scoreboard.
My previous post is an attempt to get the word out that we (JC) need a new scoreboard.... badly. And a few state championships.

I've heard some oldtimers say that the scoreboard has been used since the late 80's-early 90's. I know JC has enough money in the bank to buy a scoreboard with a video board included.... that would be sweet to have a video board. It's bad to have one of the nicest football complex's in KY and then have a scoreboard that looks like it was donated from a school that was hit by a Hurricane in the 1970's.
Another thing I'd like to see happen at JC.... and I know it's been "talked" about for sometime now... Having a indoor multi-purpose sports complex.

Have a 50yd X 50yd piece of astro turf striped for Football, Soccer and Baseball/Softball so the teams can all year round in good conditions. Have a place for batting cages, wrestling mats, a field goal and soccer goal set up, a half-court basketball area, weight rooms, video room for game film review, have track and field equipment so those athletes can practice all year in good conditions........

It could be done. We have enough room over behind the visitors bleachers by the river.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:My previous post is an attempt to get the word out that we (JC) need a new scoreboard.... badly. And a few state championships.

I've heard some oldtimers say that the scoreboard has been used since the late 80's-early 90's. I know JC has enough money in the bank to buy a scoreboard with a video board included.... that would be sweet to have a video board. It's bad to have one of the nicest football complex's in KY and then have a scoreboard that looks like it was donated from a school that was hit by a Hurricane in the 1970's.

I can tell you for sure it goes back to at least 1990. Also, several lights are burned out on it, and the scoreboard controls like to stop working at random times. The video boards make new scoreboards prohibitively expensive if you don't have a major coal company buying one for you like other schools, but a larger one that actually works would be a nice touch at least.

However, the old scoreboard is the last remaining piece of the old Nest, which I loved as a stadium, so maybe we can look at it as one of those quirky throwbacks to the old times like they put in the fancy new baseball stadiums these days?
The scoreboard was there when I was in HS. That was from 84 to 87. I agree. A new board is GREATLY needed!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
I understand that you two guys are both fans of your respective programs and believe me that is good. I sold my dogs and have to listen to the race from the porch. Recently I heard a rumor that The Eagles and other folks had offered a pretty good deal to the Cats to have them play in the RECC Bowl this year. Just wondering if you fellows could shed a little light on the subject. As to this post you might just sign me "On The Outside Kinda Lookin In". Most of all just lookin for a good game when "The Boys Of Fall Take The Field".
Yes they need a scoreboard bad!!! What do they have coming back after Jude is gone? If JC has nothing coming back this year, why would they buy a new scoreboard?