Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Mitchell out at Lynn Camp
cherokee Wrote:LCC 40 Whitley 30 @ Whitley last year "really" but some schools will let sub
.500 (32-38 .457%) coaches stay for a long time. IN 07 Lynn Camp beat Whitley 35-6 this would have got a lot of 5a coaches fired, matter of fact the 34-26 Lynn Camp victory over Whitley in 05 caused one firing.

Which is why the series needs to end.
Nothing to gain an everything to lose from our standpoint.
Pointless game where we "should" win every year but yes there has been a whopping 2 losses to Lynn Camp in 22 years. It's not that bad when you consider how many good teams LC has had.
The 03 team they had was probably the best Mitchell ever coached there and Whitley was the only team that beat them other than Bardstown in the state semis. They would have beaten multiple schools of a higher class that year, but couldnt beat Whitley.
The 05 year was easily the second most talented team he ever had and Whitley was in a slump. Onlt 5 or 6 seniors that year and as you said it was Campbells last year. But talent wise, the two teams were pretty even, no matter if one was a 1A and the other was 4A at the time.
In 07 ill just be brutally honest. That may have been the worst Whitley team since the mid 80's. But they made up for the nest year with a state semi performance. Whitley was just to young and Black was still clinging to that passing game he had that was so successful at Wburg but quickly found out that wasnt the best option at Whitley and the next year he changed the offense and it paid dividends.

As i said before there is just absoloutly no gain from our standpoint other than the decent gates, but even that has declined over the recent years. It's time to move on.
HDE Wrote:Has anyone else in any sport at Lynn Camp won consistently?
I think Mitchell had enough success over the years to go out when he wanted. It's not like there was a lot of wasted talent the past few years. Lynn Camp often seems to get what some of the other schools in the area don't want. It's a tough job.

:truestory:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Which is why the series needs to end.
Nothing to gain an everything to lose from our standpoint.
Pointless game where we "should" win every year but yes there has been a whopping 2 losses to Lynn Camp in 22 years. It's not that bad when you consider how many good teams LC has had.
The 03 team they had was probably the best Mitchell ever coached there and Whitley was the only team that beat them other than Bardstown in the state semis. They would have beaten multiple schools of a higher class that year, but couldnt beat Whitley.
The 05 year was easily the second most talented team he ever had and Whitley was in a slump. Onlt 5 or 6 seniors that year and as you said it was Campbells last year. But talent wise, the two teams were pretty even, no matter if one was a 1A and the other was 4A at the time.
In 07 ill just be brutally honest. That may have been the worst Whitley team since the mid 80's. But they made up for the nest year with a state semi performance. Whitley was just to young and Black was still clinging to that passing game he had that was so successful at Wburg but quickly found out that wasnt the best option at Whitley and the next year he changed the offense and it paid dividends.

As i said before there is just absoloutly no gain from our standpoint other than the decent gates, but even that has declined over the recent years. It's time to move on.

Somerset actually beat them to win that district in '03, and if my memory serves me correctly it was Beechwood that beat them in the state semis, not Bardstown.

Not really on topic, but having played against both I have to say that '05 was actually probably better than '03. We went over to LC in '03 and beat them pretty badly at their place despite the refs doing all they could to keep the Campers in the game. We were good in '03 but we got our asses handed to us by Danville and Corbin before going to LC. Then LC kind of got lucky when we, the 1 seed in district 7, were upset by Pikeville in round 2 and they were able to snake out a region title.

The '05 team was really tough though. We were on a tear that year losing only one game in a heartbreaker to Danville 42-26 after leading 26-6 right before half. Lynn Camp put it on us at home for about three quarters leading 34-19 at the start of the fourth before we were able to come back and win 41-40 in the best game I've ever been a part of. We had six different guys score all six of our touchdowns in that game. We would go on to cruise through the region thanks to Lynn Camp losing at Paintsville in round 2. That Paintsville team was good, but Lynn Camp was definitely the best team we beat that year in region 4. We were a much better team in '05 than we were in '03. Hell John Cole was like the fifth best player on that '05 team. We eventually lost to an absolutely ridiculous NCC team 35-10 in the state semis after being down 14-10 at the half. NCC would hang a number on Mayfield in the state championship the next week something to the tune of 49-6. Lynn Camp was the best team we saw that year besides that NCC team.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:A head coach, saying that one of the reasons for their lack of success is due to the lack of commitment, is being classless? How? We have become such a soft society.

Calling out high school kids in the media is classless. Not having enough balls to meet with the team and tell them that it was his fault, is classless. Trying to act like he owned up to it through the media, classless. Any coach saying lack of talent is the reason we did not win ONE game is not accepting responsibility, it is leaning on a crutch, and is classless.

I wonder when he had talent was it all the kids? I bet he owned up to the talented teams.

How do you not meet with your team?!!! Even if you do BLAME them show them how a MAN handles tough situations and takes ownership of their actions or inactions. Nice example set. I bet he would not accept his players not taking ownership. Or if he did accept that, well that explains everything.

Posters sticking up for some one who is cruising on tax payers dime just waiting for retirement and blaming his players, classless.
mason Wrote:Posters sticking up for some one who is cruising on tax payers dime just waiting for retirement and blaming his players, classless.

Coach Mitchell was retired.
Know the facts first.
mason Wrote:I wonder when he had talent was it all the kids? I bet he owned up to the talented teams.

How do you not meet with your team?!!! Even if you do BLAME them show them how a MAN handles tough situations and takes ownership of their actions or inactions. Nice example set. I bet he would not accept his players not taking ownership. Or if he did accept that, well that explains everything.

You do not know him too well then, because Coach Mitchell was the biggest advocate of his players. He was always getting their names to college coaches and taking care of the kids. He has had a weightlifting meet for over 30 years, (longest in state) that he promoted his kids to college coaches. He had numerous college combines at Lynn Camp exposing his players to college coaches.

How do also know that the Supt. didn't tell him to not go back to the school?

Some people have no idea of what time and dedication he and his staff have put into that program. I mean you cannot wrap your head around the fact that the last coach besides Mitchell to coach Lynn Camp, Richard Nixon was President. I'd say no one posting here as stayed at the same position as long as he did to know how he built Lynn Camp.
mason Wrote:Calling out high school kids in the media is classless. Not having enough balls to meet with the team and tell them that it was his fault, is classless. Trying to act like he owned up to it through the media, classless. Any coach saying lack of talent is the reason we did not win ONE game is not accepting responsibility, it is leaning on a crutch, and is classless.

I wonder when he had talent was it all the kids? I bet he owned up to the talented teams.

Posters sticking up for some one who is cruising on tax payers dime just waiting for retirement and blaming his players, classless.

3wishes beat me to it.

But, while Im at it.....posters, who:
1) Not knowing their facts before they bash a coach or player....classless.

Obviously you didnt get enough playing time for Coach Mitchell, or you're a parent who has some kind of previous beef with him.
RoShamBo Wrote:Somerset actually beat them to win that district in '03, and if my memory serves me correctly it was Beechwood that beat them in the state semis, not Bardstown.

Not really on topic, but having played against both I have to say that '05 was actually probably better than '03. We went over to LC in '03 and beat them pretty badly at their place despite the refs doing all they could to keep the Campers in the game. We were good in '03 but we got our asses handed to us by Danville and Corbin before going to LC. Then LC kind of got lucky when we, the 1 seed in district 7, were upset by Pikeville in round 2 and they were able to snake out a region title.

The '05 team was really tough though. We were on a tear that year losing only one game in a heartbreaker to Danville 42-26 after leading 26-6 right before half. Lynn Camp put it on us at home for about three quarters leading 34-19 at the start of the fourth before we were able to come back and win 41-40 in the best game I've ever been a part of. We had six different guys score all six of our touchdowns in that game. We would go on to cruise through the region thanks to Lynn Camp losing at Paintsville in round 2. That Paintsville team was good, but Lynn Camp was definitely the best team we beat that year in region 4. We were a much better team in '05 than we were in '03. Hell John Cole was like the fifth best player on that '05 team. We eventually lost to an absolutely ridiculous NCC team 35-10 in the state semis after being down 14-10 at the half. NCC would hang a number on Mayfield in the state championship the next week something to the tune of 49-6. Lynn Camp was the best team we saw that year besides that NCC team.

Your right man.
I was thinking of when we played Prestonsburg back in 01. There only loss was to us and Bardstown.

Lynn Camp actually lost 4 or 5 games in 03, so i was way off. They lost to Harlan, Somerset, Whitley, Leslie and Beechwood i believe.

Dont know how i got the two confused.

Doesnt Mitchell refer to that Someset game in 05 as "the great fiasco".

Still claims to this day you all laid it to him up there lol.
^We call it 'the fishy finish' (Commonwealth Journal headline the next day) up here in Somerset on account of Matt 'Fish' Salmons catching the game winning TD on a 45 yard bomb from Deaton. That game was brutal, I took my ACT the next morning with a set of bruised ribs on account of it. That LC had Chaffin who would go on to UK and Reynolds who was absolute monster in the backfield, not to mention a huge offensive and defensive line.
^
That was prolly Mitchell's best team he had.
They also had a young RB who was pretty good along with Scalf at QB who was a senior as well.
It was one of their most complete teams.
Prolly the most even team they had with Whitley other than that bad 07 team we had.
I remember watching that 05 game where Whitley went to LC and it was "fishy" all night.
Whitley had Ladale Rider and he had a lot of BIG gains called back for holding and such but that comes with the territory when you got to LC, as it is with most places when you play on the road. That 05 team for Whitley still confuses me. They had so much talent and a great group of seniors but always seemed to never get a bounce. They lost so many close games. They went 4-7 that year and 5 of those losses were by 9 points or less or less. However, two of those wins were by a combined 2 points lol.
They were so close that year to being good but they were lacking a QB.
Ladale Rider may have been one of the most talented RB's to ever come out of the mountains.
I played fro 98 to 01 and it seemed like the numbers just started drastically falling off after 01.
Yeah the Whitley game was one of the films we had on LC before our game with them. Ladale was a really tough and talented player I remember playing against him at WC in middle school. But I agree though you never knew what was going to happen when you went into Lynn Camp to play. In '03 when we went over there the white hat was piss drunk for God's sake.
^
lol, its an every year thing when going there.
Any word on who may be getting the job, I heard an interesting name....with Corbin connections...............Coach Duncum, for North Laurel Head Coach.
Lynn Camp has an Asst. Principal job open. Maybe they could draw a good coach with that job open.
I dont see Duncum taking it.
The North Job IMO was a lot better job and he had things looking really good there back in 03 and 04, but he still left to go to his alma mater anyways.
Unless he's itching to get back into head coaching, i dont see it.
His preacher was the one that told me....also he left North due to lack of support from the admin. Also he posted on his FB page he was coming out of retirement........

Not proof but certainly interesting. He may be a good fit there, and he could tap the ever shrinking Corbin talent pool too.
I was told that Duncum has applied for the job and does want it. His brother, Steve, is already there. If Duncum does take the Lynn Camp job it will certainly hurt Corbin.
hoops_town Wrote:I was told that Duncum has applied for the job and does want it. His brother, Steve, is already there. If Duncum does take the Lynn Camp job it will certainly hurt Corbin.

Why would it hurt Corbin?
I'v known David for many years and had many battles aganist his teams. They were always prepared and played hard. He was a Class Act so get off his Back. Good Luck David, you are better off out of that situation.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Why would it hurt Corbin?

Dietpepsidrinker said it in the post before mine....he would probably bring some of the Knox Co. kids into Lynn Camp instead of Corbin. I wouldnt be shocked to see a couple move with him from Corbin if he does get the job.
^
Not to add the fact thats the best assistant Jewell has at Corbin.
I always figured Duncum would stick around Corbin and slide into the head coaching job there one day.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Not to add the fact thats the best assistant Jewell has at Corbin.
I always figured Duncum would stick around Corbin and slide into the head coaching job there one day.

You're not really adding any facts considering Duncum hasn't been an assistant at corbin for about 3-4 seasons. With that said IMO he was one of the best assistants while at Corbin and I would have liked to see him take over for Jewell whenever he walked away from it.
hoops_town Wrote:Dietpepsidrinker said it in the post before mine....he would probably bring some of the Knox Co. kids into Lynn Camp instead of Corbin. I wouldnt be shocked to see a couple move with him from Corbin if he does get the job.

I can't think of any kids that have come from Lynn Camp to Corbin, although there were 2 that played basketball for Lynn Camp last year that came from Corbin.
SEKYFAN Wrote:I can't think of any kids that have come from Lynn Camp to Corbin, although there were 2 that played basketball for Lynn Camp last year that came from Corbin.

They dont leave Lynn Camp, they travel from Knox Co. to Corbin. If Duncum gets the job at Lynn Camp some of those kids might just decide to stay in Knox Co.
How many Knox Co. kids are on the football team at Corbin???
hoops_town Wrote:They dont leave Lynn Camp, they travel from Knox Co. to Corbin. If Duncum gets the job at Lynn Camp some of those kids might just decide to stay in Knox Co.
How many Knox Co. kids are on the football team at Corbin???

I'm not aware of any, at least any that play, but there could be a couple.
SEKYFAN Wrote:I'm not aware of any, at least any that play, but there could be a couple.

This board has started on getting kids from other schools to play for Lynn Camp. Keep it to Coach Mitchell. But since you brought it up, Mitchell didn't go out recruit from other schools. He fought to keep his own and did a heck of job in what he did for the boys on his team. Win or lose, he is a winner in my book. I doubt anyone can replace him. He didn't get the things Knox Central got for their program. He was not supported the way KC was. He had a locker room started 4 years ago and they stopped working on it. KC had an indoor practice facility built. How can a superintendent and school be so bias toward all that?
goBIGblue82 Wrote:You're not really adding any facts considering Duncum hasn't been an assistant at corbin for about 3-4 seasons. With that said IMO he was one of the best assistants while at Corbin and I would have liked to see him take over for Jewell whenever he walked away from it.

My bad. I did not know that.
I dont keep up with the city schools that much.
Coach Duncum is a GREAT hire for the Campers. The reason he left North was because he was tired of playing 2nd,3rd, or even 4th fiddle to the other sports at North Laurel. At Lynn Camp they might not always have a good team but FOOTBALL is KING.:rockon::rockon:
Fooseball Devil Wrote:Coach Duncum is a GREAT hire for the Campers. The reason he left North was because he was tired of playing 2nd,3rd, or even 4th fiddle to the other sports at North Laurel. At Lynn Camp they might not always have a good team but FOOTBALL is KING.:rockon::rockon:

Did they hire him?
^
No.