Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Coach Mitchell out at Lynn Camp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Word is Coach Mitchell at Lynn Camp has been fired after 34 years, anybody in the area got any news on this?
Just heard this on WYMT.
Amped 88 Wrote:Just heard this on WYMT.

It is sad that we live in a time where you must protect yourself from other people's ignorance. An era is over.
-
Here are a couple of stories by Jim McAlister of the "News Journal" that may shed some light on this.....
-
http://thenewsjournal.net/details/6179/M...ball-coach
-
Mitchell ousted after 34 years as Lynn Camp football coach
May 14, 2012
-
-
http://thenewsjournal.net/details/6157/T...-suspended
-
Two Lynn Camp students hurt in dry ice explosion; coach suspended
May 04, 2012
-
catscards Wrote:-
Here are a couple of stories by Jim McAlister of the "News Journal" that may shed some light on this.....
-
http://thenewsjournal.net/details/6179/M...ball-coach
-
Mitchell ousted after 34 years as Lynn Camp football coach
May 14, 2012
-
-
http://thenewsjournal.net/details/6157/T...-suspended
-
Two Lynn Camp students hurt in dry ice explosion; coach suspended
May 04, 2012
-

So sad to hear this. He has kept that Lynn Camp program together for so many years. He is special. No one else could have done what Coach Mitchell has done. It is stupid of the administration. Stupid of Superintendant. I am sure David is thought much more of in that county that the Super at charge. So stupid to do that.
Wow, what kind of thanks is that for keeping a program going. It is a shame some stupid kid makes a dumb mistake and gets a legend fired. I hope that kid and his parents are proud.
Coach Mitchell has been there a long time. I hate to see him go out like that. I have always felt like Lynn Camp could be a great place to coach if you could keep your good players. Single A is the best place to coach. Lynn Camp has a nice campus and could be a very nice place to be. I look for them to get several applicants. I respect David for being there so long. Seems like everyone has a David Mitchell story. He is a great guy. With him not needing a teaching job, he will probably be on the side lines somewhere next year. Good luck coach. Sometimes change is good.
Hate to hear this but long overdue IMO.
The game passed him up years ago.
However, he did the best with what he had.
Coach Mitchell showed great loyalty to his school and his team, which in this day and age is something you just don't see much anymore. He will be missed. Think about all that has changed since he took over there. New facility, new school, cell phones, computers, film to video, to digital....it has been a long run.

It is the end of an era, but that is not always a bad thing. With a new coach I think you will see a new excitement around LC, which always happens with a new coach. Also I think I new coach will schedule games which are more in line with a single A school. I thought Coach Mitchell over scheduled and beat his teams down several times over the years when he teams that could have competed at the "A" level but he a had two or the "AAAAA" schools on the schedule.

But the first team on the schedule will be Whitley County.....and rightfully so, at least until the new coach can build up the program again. He should also get out of the games with North and Harlan County too...
^
I'm hoping the new LC coach wont play Whitley so that instead of lynn camp we can pick up a Knox or South.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:But the first team on the schedule will be Whitley County.....and rightfully so, at least until the new coach can build up the program again. He should also get out of the games with North and Harlan County too...

Lynn Camp played Harlan County only once, the first year HCHS opened when both had the same open date.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:He should also get out of the games with North and Harlan County too...

They also only played North Laurel once and that was in a bowl game.
Coach Mitchell is a good coach and good man. Hate to see this happen to him. As fas as the game passing him by, I would not say that. There are alot of successful old school football coaches out there, been coaching 30+ years still doing the same thing and being successful. So i dont buy that.
It will be crazy without coach Mitchell on the LC sidelines.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Hate to hear this but long overdue IMO.

Classy post Gut. Hate to hear this news, the guy was like glue for small school football.
TigerBlues Wrote:Classy post Gut. Hate to hear this news, the guy was like glue for small school football.

Mitchell was Lynn Camp football.
The man coached generations of families at that school.
I liked the fact that Mitchell always spoke his mind and dint care what people thought, just like in these articles where he said "theyve been looking for a reason to get rid of me for years". Maybe so, but how many coaches could coach a team that has 20 players on average and all the bad stuff that happens around that school year in and year out.

I firmly believe he's not done coaching. I dont think he will ever head coach again, but i wouldnt be surprised to see him as an assistant somewhere. I wouldnt mind to see him at Whitley helping out. Campbell and Mitchell have been friends for years.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I'm hoping the new LC coach wont play Whitley so that instead of lynn camp we can pick up a Knox or South.
are you sure about that I mean if you loose lynn camp there goes one of your 3 wins I think picking one of these 2 schools you may biting off a little more than you can chew but what does it matter if whitley losses all their games they are still in the playoffs so they really have nothing to loose
I remember in 93/94 at Jenkins we was district runners up and hosted a playoff game. Lynn Camp was our opponent and came down to our place and defeated us. Thatis when I knew that Lynn Camp was for real.
Just one question: (and I know it will make some posters mad) if any other coach over the last 4 or 5 years had the record Mitchell had, and gone 0-11 last year would anyone be upset?

Loyalty is great and honestly a thing of the past but should the 34 years that he had been coaching really play a part in the decision making process.

I have seen posters complaining about coaches from other schools which much better records calling for the head of the coach, not mentioning LCC (OOPS).

But seriously in the long run do you think this will be a bad thing for Lynn Camp? and why?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Hate to hear this but long overdue IMO.

I don't really think the game passed him up, now I will agree that the kids have changed and maybe he was too old school to adapt to that. He expected his players to care as much as he did and to work as hard as the teams from several years ago had. I think that he just had a run where not everyone was buying in and so the mix just did not work out well.

I also recall reading in the paper last year that he had several players who did not come back out for football, including 3 of his top RB's, two that quit school and another who was academically ineligible. If you lose 4 or 5 players at a Class A school, things can go south in a hurry.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:Just one question: (and I know it will make some posters mad) if any other coach over the last 4 or 5 years had the record Mitchell had, and gone 0-11 last year would anyone be upset?

Loyalty is great and honestly a thing of the past but should the 34 years that he had been coaching really play a part in the decision making process.

I have seen posters complaining about coaches from other schools which much better records calling for the head of the coach, not mentioning LCC (OOPS).

But seriously in the long run do you think this will be a bad thing for Lynn Camp? and why?

LCC 40 Whitley 30 @ Whitley last year "really" but some schools will let sub
.500 (32-38 .457%) coaches stay for a long time. IN 07 Lynn Camp beat Whitley 35-6 this would have got a lot of 5a coaches fired, matter of fact the 34-26 Lynn Camp victory over Whitley in 05 caused one firing.
I hate to hear the old boy was let go. He has coached there since I played in the mid 80's. Good luck to him.
papagrit Wrote:I hate to hear the old boy was let go. He has coached there since I played in the mid 80's. Good luck to him.

Known David for over 30 years. I have always wondered how he did the job a Lynn Camp the way he did. He never had the support that Knox Central had. He just worked his butt off everyday and put a competitive team on the field. It is awful he has been done this way by administration.
HAT51 Wrote:Known David for over 30 years. I have always wondered how he did the job a Lynn Camp the way he did. He never had the support that Knox Central had. He just worked his butt off everyday and put a competitive team on the field. It is awful he has been done this way by administration.

Maybe now the new coach will get the new field house completed that David was promised. Got it started 4 years ago and never offered to complete it but made sure Knox Central got their new indoor practice facility.
Do not know the man but nothing like ripping the kids on your team on the way out. Some will call it just being honest...I call it showing no class.
mason Wrote:Do not know the man but nothing like ripping the kids on your team on the way out. Some will call it just being honest...I call it showing no class.

A head coach, saying that one of the reasons for their lack of success is due to the lack of commitment, is being classless? How? We have become such a soft society.
If you read the article, he took full responsibility for lack of commitment like any good leader would.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:Just one question: (and I know it will make some posters mad) if any other coach over the last 4 or 5 years had the record Mitchell had, and gone 0-11 last year would anyone be upset?

Has anyone else in any sport at Lynn Camp won consistently?
I think Mitchell had enough success over the years to go out when he wanted. It's not like there was a lot of wasted talent the past few years. Lynn Camp often seems to get what some of the other schools in the area don't want. It's a tough job.
footballfan23 Wrote:are you sure about that I mean if you loose lynn camp there goes one of your 3 wins I think picking one of these 2 schools you may biting off a little more than you can chew but what does it matter if whitley losses all their games they are still in the playoffs so they really have nothing to loose

Ill take Whitley's 3-8 record with freshmen and sophomores last year over your South Laurels 0-10 record and consistent 3-8 records year after year.
Please let me know when South actually wins something football related.
SEKYFAN Wrote:I don't really think the game passed him up, now I will agree that the kids have changed and maybe he was too old school to adapt to that. He expected his players to care as much as he did and to work as hard as the teams from several years ago had. I think that he just had a run where not everyone was buying in and so the mix just did not work out well.

I also recall reading in the paper last year that he had several players who did not come back out for football, including 3 of his top RB's, two that quit school and another who was academically ineligible. If you lose 4 or 5 players at a Class A school, things can go south in a hurry.

Your right.
When i was saying the game had passed him up, i was also referring to how you relate to the kids in todays time. It's a part of the job. The stuff that worked in the 80's and even the 90's doesnt work today. We live in a completely different world.
Pages: 1 2 3