Poll: Who wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Ryle
17.86%
Highlands
82.14%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryle at Highlands 10/28
^ No, this is just like riding a bike. If he is cleared to play by the trainers, then he is eligible to play period! Thus, his last play on the football field resulted in an injury. If the doctors and coaching staff deem he is fit to play, then he should be out on the field immediately. If he is fit to play, then doctors, trainers and coaches have all agreed that playing will result in no further injury, thus why keep him out of a few series????
Ryle wins?
Ballers Wrote:Ryle wins?

That would be an insane upset considering:
HHS @home
HHS record/stats vs RHS record/stats
& No Elliot.

Who are Ryle's playmakers?
Stardust Wrote:^ No, this is just like riding a bike. If he is cleared to play by the trainers, then he is eligible to play period! Thus, his last play on the football field resulted in an injury. If the doctors and coaching staff deem he is fit to play, then he should be out on the field immediately. If he is fit to play, then doctors, trainers and coaches have all agreed that playing will result in no further injury, thus why keep him out of a few series????

As me being a student trainer in the past and working closely with the Dr and trainers for Ashland they will tell you there is no real way to tell how someone has recovered from a concussion. The biggest risk of concussions is having another one because team trainers and doctors can't always tell how recovered the patient is. Look at the N.F.L there has been a huge crackdown on guys playing with concussions. It used to be give him some smelling salt and throw him back in there. Now guys may miss a week or two. Also Steve young and Troy Aikman also had there careers ended by concussions. I would hate to see that happen to a young man in a game that is meaningless after such a serious injury
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:As me being a student trainer in the past and working closely with the Dr and trainers for Ashland they will tell you there is no real way to tell how someone has recovered from a concussion. The biggest risk of concussions is having another one because team trainers and doctors can't always tell how recovered the patient is. Look at the N.F.L there has been a huge crackdown on guys playing with concussions. It used to be give him some smelling salt and throw him back in there. Now guys may miss a week or two. Also Steve young and Troy Aikman also had there careers ended by concussions. I would hate to see that happen to a young man in a game that is meaningless after such a serious injury

Even with the new testing? I have had many conversations with our team doctor and the test (help me out, I don't recall the name of it) allows the trainers to look at the athletes beginning of the year results and compare them to the current state. We also know that we deem any head trauma as a concussion. That is not always the case as well. In the past, it took a lot for anyone to consider a head injury as a concussion, now we have gone the other direction. As I coach, I certainly get it and agree completely. But with the advancements and education that we now have, it's certainly fair to believe that all of the entities involved in the decision making are protecting the athlete from himself. I trust that if the trainer has performed the testing properly, the doctor has agreed to it, and to a lesser degree (because we know parents can push their kids as well as protect the), the parents agree with the findings and relate how the athlete has acted at home, then I'm fine will the athlete competing.
Stardust Wrote:Even with the new testing? I have had many conversations with our team doctor and the test (help me out, I don't recall the name of it) allows the trainers to look at the athletes beginning of the year results and compare them to the current state. We also know that we deem any head trauma as a concussion. That is not always the case as well. In the past, it took a lot for anyone to consider a head injury as a concussion, now we have gone the other direction. As I coach, I certainly get it and agree completely. But with the advancements and education that we now have, it's certainly fair to believe that all of the entities involved in the decision making are protecting the athlete from himself. I trust that if the trainer has performed the testing properly, the doctor has agreed to it, and to a lesser degree (because we know parents can push their kids as well as protect the), the parents agree with the findings and relate how the athlete has acted at home, then I'm fine will the athlete competing.

I am sure all the medical personal have done an extensive evaluation. It really just comes down to the opinion of the trained professionals which unfortunately aren't 100% if this were the playoffs and he was cleared I'd say play him but in a game essentially meaningless why risk it?
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I would disagree with playing Towels. It is a game Highlands will prob win going away without him. And It's not like he needs the reps to be familiar with the offense he is a four year starter. Ryle may not be as good as last year but they are much better than boyd county and could actually put a good hit on towels and keep him out of playoff action. I'd rather see them sit him this week and let him work off the rust next week against boyd.

He is not a 4 year starter. He came in late in the season after Bardo went down with an injury his soph year. He finished that year as the starter and started his JR and SR years.
sstack Wrote:He is not a 4 year starter. He came in late in the season after Bardo went down with an injury his soph year. He finished that year as the starter and started his JR and SR years.

I thought it was his freshmen year was the year he came in for bardo. the way he has been destroying opponents it feels like he is a 5th year senior.
Coming the guy who predicted RYLES victory over highlands on here the nite that highlands first beat Ryle in there 2 game series last year.
I can say might have to fear the revengeful wrath of Dale mueller this week. Can see him bombing it late in 4th quarter shooting for 100 PTs.
But I also would give the raiders more of a chance than they've gotten on here. Besides having a garbage QB and beat up team morale after the loss of the senior group last year and all-star Elliott to colerain. I think there is that chance that this team has that sense of something to prove. I'll be watching that hill kid to sneak in the game and heart his way to the endZone again.

Highlands 36. Ryle 31
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I am sure all the medical personal have done an extensive evaluation. It really just comes down to the opinion of the trained professionals which unfortunately aren't 100% if this were the playoffs and he was cleared I'd say play him but in a game essentially meaningless why risk it?

While I can totally understand your line of thinking and believe it to be defensible, I do have a couple of thoughts. 1. no game is meaningless. They all mean a lot to the kids playing, particularly a senior knowing he has a very limited opportunities remaining to don his high school uniform and be on the field with his high school buddies. 2. Knowing Dale and having watched him handle concussions in the past, I'm quite confident that if there is a sliver of doubt in his mind about PT, he won't play him. While the game has meaning, it's more important to protect a kid's brain. The issue comes down to whether the docs believe PT is more susceptible to injury as a result of last weeks concussion than he would be at any other time he takes a snap. 3. If PT plays, Dale won't be running him at all. No designed run plays and instructions to throw the ball away or run out of bounds quickly if pressure is felt. Highlands pass protection has been excellent this year. Actually much, much better than I expected (Kudos to the O line there). So it wouldn't surprise me at all if Towles is the QB and is untouched the entire game.

It also wouldn't surprise me at all if McCoy starts. While he looked great against Elder once he shook off the rust, I can see Dale thinking it would be beneficial to get McCoy more experience in case Towles was to go down again in the playoffs. With Ryle a better team than what Highlands is likely play in the first couple of rounds, I can see Dale wanting to get McCoy more experience against some decent opposition.

Part of me would like to see Towles start. It's Senior Night and I'm sure he wants to be on the field with his fellow seniors. Then again, part of me would like to see McCoy start. Any one can get hurt at any time. With Towles it could be another concussion during the playoffs, a leg injury or a shoulder injury. The more "real game" experience McCoy can get, the better the Birds will be able to handle that situation if it occurs (and I pray that it doesn't).

Regardless of what happens, I'll be comfortable with the decision. Having known Dale a long, long time and seen him handle a lot of concussion injuries in the past, he'll make the right call for Towles and the team.
Towles has been 100 % medically cleared to play and from what I understand hasn't missed a step. He was seen by the best sports neurologist in the business. If it's a good game he'll play all 4 quarters. If it's a blowout then you will see Houliston and/or McCoy.

There is a lot of good information about concussions out there.
There is a lot of misinformation about concussions out there.

I think it will be a pretty good game.
charlie22 Wrote:While I can totally understand your line of thinking and believe it to be defensible, I do have a couple of thoughts. 1. no game is meaningless. They all mean a lot to the kids playing, particularly a senior knowing he has a very limited opportunities remaining to don his high school uniform and be on the field with his high school buddies. 2. Knowing Dale and having watched him handle concussions in the past, I'm quite confident that if there is a sliver of doubt in his mind about PT, he won't play him. While the game has meaning, it's more important to protect a kid's brain. The issue comes down to whether the docs believe PT is more susceptible to injury as a result of last weeks concussion than he would be at any other time he takes a snap. 3. If PT plays, Dale won't be running him at all. No designed run plays and instructions to throw the ball away or run out of bounds quickly if pressure is felt. Highlands pass protection has been excellent this year. Actually much, much better than I expected (Kudos to the O line there). So it wouldn't surprise me at all if Towles is the QB and is untouched the entire game.

It also wouldn't surprise me at all if McCoy starts. While he looked great against Elder once he shook off the rust, I can see Dale thinking it would be beneficial to get McCoy more experience in case Towles was to go down again in the playoffs. With Ryle a better team than what Highlands is likely play in the first couple of rounds, I can see Dale wanting to get McCoy more experience against some decent opposition.

Part of me would like to see Towles start. It's Senior Night and I'm sure he wants to be on the field with his fellow seniors. Then again, part of me would like to see McCoy start. Any one can get hurt at any time. With Towles it could be another concussion during the playoffs, a leg injury or a shoulder injury. The more "real game" experience McCoy can get, the better the Birds will be able to handle that situation if it occurs (and I pray that it doesn't).

Regardless of what happens, I'll be comfortable with the decision. Having known Dale a long, long time and seen him handle a lot of concussion injuries in the past, he'll make the right call for Towles and the team.

People don't realize how unbelievable his performance was at Elder. Someone said imagine never playing golf and then going out and shooting 70. He takes no snaps during practice. I have said it all year long. Mccoy is easily one of the 5 best QB's in this state.
TNT-MB1 Wrote:Coming the guy who predicted RYLES victory over highlands on here the nite that highlands first beat Ryle in there 2 game series last year.
I can say might have to fear the revengeful wrath of Dale mueller this week. Can see him bombing it late in 4th quarter shooting for 100 PTs.
But I also would give the raiders more of a chance than they've gotten on here. Besides having a garbage QB and beat up team morale after the loss of the senior group last year and all-star Elliott to colerain. I think there is that chance that this team has that sense of something to prove. I'll be watching that hill kid to sneak in the game and heart his way to the endZone again.

Highlands 36. Ryle 31

I am not understanding your post here, you say you predicted them to win last year, (maybe a Ryle fan maybe not), but to say this team has not done well after the loss of their RB Elliott is nuts. Also every team that has had a great senior class hates to see them leave but that is the nature of the game, period. Also what do you have against their QB, the kid has come in and worked hard to lead this team after Elliott went out to a district runner up and a home playoff gameand NO ONE except the kids on the team and the coaches thought they would win another game . This team has over come so much adversity this year and still no respect for what they have been able to do. They may lose by 100 if Dale wants to do so but I doubt it. This team fights and competes and are fun to watch in my opinion. Their defense is good, their offense is good, and the kids play with passion....
hardcore1 Wrote:I am not understanding your post here, you say you predicted them to win last year, (maybe a Ryle fan maybe not), but to say this team has not done well after the loss of their RB Elliott is nuts. Also every team that has had a great senior class hates to see them leave but that is the nature of the game, period. Also what do you have against their QB, the kid has come in and worked hard to lead this team after Elliott went out to a district runner up and a home playoff gameand NO ONE except the kids on the team and the coaches thought they would win another game . This team has over come so much adversity this year and still no respect for what they have been able to do. They may lose by 100 if Dale wants to do so but I doubt it. This team fights and competes and are fun to watch in my opinion. Their defense is good, their offense is good, and the kids play with passion....

I have to agree with you. Ryle isn't on last year's level, but it's still a pretty good football team. Kids play hard and get some great coaching. I'm not big on posting my predictions, but I don't think this is going to be the blowout that some are predicting. The Ryle kids certainly are not in awe of Highlands and won't come into the game thinking they can't win.

PS: Dale wouldn't beat a team by a 100 even if he could (and he can't against Ryle), revenge or no revenge.
I'm not saying they haven't played well I'm saying to beat a team like highlands. They'll try need some serious big plays and ball control like last year. Keep the ball from towels. And most of these kids were on that team so there shouldn't be any of the highlands bluff going on. But sorry to say it but nky 6a is a joke this year teAms are maybe 2/3s of what they've been in past 4 years.
This is a big test for ryle and will show what they can do in playoffs if they can play a team like highlands well. then it will show how they can play against the louisville schools and even laffeyette from Lex. I will be watching I tell you that.

And I wouldn't put anything past Dale especially after they axed his 37 game win streak last year.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I am sure all the medical personal have done an extensive evaluation. It really just comes down to the opinion of the trained professionals which unfortunately aren't 100% if this were the playoffs and he was cleared I'd say play him but in a game essentially meaningless why risk it?

You crack me up. You say you work with the trainers??? In this day and age, you think it's even questionable that anyone will send this kid out if he's not OK? I take the training as well, but as a coach! I can assure you that they will make sure the kid is OK before sending him out for a meaningless game. So you are saying if he's 100% now, DON'T play him, but it we has a 100% and it was playoffs - Do play him??? If he's cleared, he's ready to go!
Highlands 34-14.

I agree Tomcatfan. Absolutely no reason to play Towles this week. I'd also consider not using him in the first round of the playoffs to insure that he's completely healed before being hit again.
Wideleft01 Wrote:I agree Tomcatfan. Absolutely no reason to play Towles this week. I'd also consider not using him in the first round of the playoffs to insure that he's completely healed before being hit again.

Why, did he have a concussion? Nah, you don't sit competitors to protect them. We are assuming he really had a concussion....
Given another blow to the head, there's less likelihood of another concussion in 2 weeks, if indeed what he had was a concussion.
Stardust Wrote:You crack me up. You say you work with the trainers??? In this day and age, you think it's even questionable that anyone will send this kid out if he's not OK? I take the training as well, but as a coach! I can assure you that they will make sure the kid is OK before sending him out for a meaningless game. So you are saying if he's 100% now, DON'T play him, but it we has a 100% and it was playoffs - Do play him??? If he's cleared, he's ready to go!

Not trying to sound contradicting and I assure you while I have some knowledge of sports medicine I was only a stuudent trainer who took high school level courses so I am no expert. But I do know there is no way to be 100% with concussions until the kid plays regardless of test. So that's why I would sit him even if cleared to just be on the side of caution in a game that has no impact on the state championship run. But if it is a state semi-final
Game and he was medically cleared I would let him play. But I'm sure the highlands medical team is top notch. The main thing is let's hope the young man is ok as he such an exceptional talent
Wideleft01 Wrote:Given another blow to the head, there's less likelihood of another concussion in 2 weeks, if indeed what he had was a concussion.

That's my point.....
Alright - to the game.....

I've seen both teams play. Ryle is a shell of the team that they could have been with Elliott, but even with Travis, this game would not be close. This is not the same Ryle team that can beat you up on the line and wear you down. I'm not sure if they are young or not, but this just does not seem like the same level of linemen that they have had over the past five years. Their QB is a nice athlete, but he is all they have on offense. He's too small to be much of a passing QB, thus, he is most dangerous when he runs the football. This is probably the weakest Raider defense of any time that I can remember. They are especially vulnerable on the run, but can be beat badly with a good passing offense.

HHS is just too talented! The offensive weapons that they have will make it very difficult for them to not score 35. If they score 35, this will be a blowout because Ryle's offense is too one dimensional to put up many points against a fundamentally sound defense like the Birds. In the past few years, this has been a game to look forward to. This year it could be as bad as the beating that Highlands put on Dixie.

Outcome is a given. My hope is that both teams come out of the game healthy to give both the best opportunity to make successful runs in the playoffs. I personally want to see another Ryle/Campbell Co. match-up for the District title.

Good luck to both!
Stardust Wrote:McCoy would be the starter for 90% of the teams in KENTUCKY!

Just for laughs, what % of the teams in KY do you think Highlands 3rd string QB would start for. He has had a ton of reps this year(way more than McCoy) and has looked good. He has a good arm, but not as good a runner as McCoy.
Hueli would probably start for like 20-25% of the schools in kentucky. He is a wizard of reading defenses and moving defenders with his eyes. average arm, pretty accurate. Drew is one of those qbs that wins with his brain.

He is going to have freshman Bo Hoge (Merril's son) sniffin around when he gets a chance to start as a SR with Hoge as a JR.
birdman44 Wrote:Hueli would probably start for like 20-25% of the schools in kentucky. He is a wizard of reading defenses and moving defenders with his eyes. average arm, pretty accurate. Drew is one of those qbs that wins with his brain.

He is going to have freshman Bo Hoge (Merril's son) sniffin around when he gets a chance to start as a SR with Hoge as a JR.

Isn't great how the Birds just keep quality QB's year after year!
I would pick Highlands against any team in the state.
Mountain Wrote:I would pick Highlands against any team in the state.
You forgot about Trinity, they are in a class by themselves. IMO, Trinity would beat the Birds by at least 2 TD's.
Highland-48
Ryle-17
sstack Wrote:Just for laughs, what % of the teams in KY do you think Highlands 3rd string QB would start for. He has had a ton of reps this year(way more than McCoy) and has looked good. He has a good arm, but not as good a runner as McCoy.

birdman44 Wrote:Hueli would probably start for like 20-25% of the schools in kentucky. He is a wizard of reading defenses and moving defenders with his eyes. average arm, pretty accurate. Drew is one of those qbs that wins with his brain.

I honestly have only see Hueli for a few snaps, not enough to base an opinion. But from what I have heard from Baioni, the young man is a fantastic young man. I had talked up McCoy in the past, and he said that Hueli just might push McCoy for that spot next year since McCoy can do other things on the field.

For my money, McCoy is the guy and I don't think the Birds miss a beat.